Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
00V0V_6d0B0b87GdV_1200x900[1] (resized).jpg
00000_8NkgZ8ce4oU_1200x900[1] (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

See one for sale at 200 no one wants it. Looks like a bad design
and a lot of open space in middle of playfield along with 2 unusual pop bumpers to the strange Lower left side
(4 flipper) 3 flippers down...... one flipper midway.
Any one have one?

#2 6 years ago

pretty sure norm clark said it was his least fave game design (or pat hand which is the 4 player)..

it's a skidder to play but man i love that backglass.

#3 6 years ago

I played a well set up Satin Doll about a year ago at a show. It was a good player. Didn't care fro the theme/art - but it was fun to play. Probably should have bought it and brought it home.

At $200 I'd say buy it for sure if condition isn't bad.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

pretty sure norm clark said it was his least fave game design...

Correct, as described on page 74 of The Pinball Compendium 1970-1981 by Michael Shalhoub.
https://www.amazon.com/Pinball-Compendium-1970-1981-Schiffer-Collectors/dp/0764320742

Also Norm Clark's last design for Williams before leaving to become head of game design at Bally.

#5 6 years ago

I've played a Satin Doll a few times. I used to own a Pat Hand. I gave it away for free so that gives you a pretty good idea of what I thought of the game play on it.

The two bottom pop bumpers are DC powered and are fun when they spit the ball right between or right past the flippers. The stand up targets aren't as much fun as drop targets for most people.

It really comes down to whether or not you like collecting bonus and points on the rollover buttons. I don't and thus the reason why I gave mine away. But for $200 it's hard to go wrong. If you don't like it you can always resell it and maybe even make a few bucks.

#6 6 years ago

Been for sale awhile still pondering over it

00000_8NkgZ8ce4oU_1200x900[1] (resized).jpg00000_8NkgZ8ce4oU_1200x900[1] (resized).jpg

00V0V_6d0B0b87GdV_1200x900[1] (resized).jpg00V0V_6d0B0b87GdV_1200x900[1] (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

At $200 take it !

#8 6 years ago

I would buy any decent shape EM for $200. Go get it!

#9 6 years ago

Can't lose at that price. And you may actually find you like playing the game. I liked the one I played.

Go get it !

#10 6 years ago

That's a nice looking Satin Doll! When you get it, ,treat those pop bumper caps with kid gloves. I think they are the prettiest pop bumper caps ever made, marbleized translucent beauties. For some strange reason, Williams only put these 'gear' style caps on a few of their games and they are impossible to find.

The rest of the story: I did try to buy back the Pat Hand I gave away for $200 but couldn't get it for that price. Pat Hand / Satin Doll are well worth $200!

2 years later
#11 4 years ago

I was watching a local Satin Doll in pretty good cosmetic shape (not working, but I'm feeling pretty confident with repairing EM games these days) drop until it hit $250 this morning. I have no room for it, not really drawn to the game cosmetically or in terms of play, but I was sorely tempted.

Fortunately someone else beat me to it!

I'm in the middle of buying a CC Sky Rider for hot air balloon pilot friends - so I imagine messing with that and helping them keep it in shape will keep me busy and scratch the new machine itch!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from JudeRussell:

Fortunately someone else beat me to it!

More like unfortunately. Pat Hand has a lot going for it. Lots of targets, "new style" roll-overs, wide open playfield, DC bumpers, unique lower bumper layout, fast play.

Also, you can always find room for one more.

#13 4 years ago

I've got 2 machines (55" backbox width) in 84" of space. So technically yes but it will make working on them tough. I'll keep en eye out in case the sale falls through.

An I'm totally doing a mental calculation of buying a shed for outside (small condo association, 4 units, I'm the president and do most of the outdoor maintenance) and moving a bunch of the stuff in my basement to the shed, sliding my work desk back another few feet, so I can fit 1-2 more games....

#14 4 years ago

I prefer the 4P Pat Hand (art package) and its conventional 2 flipper bottom.
One gets a little more ball control with the inlane return to the right flipper.
Neither game though has ever been a real favorite of mine.
But as the saying goes, any flipper game is better than no pinball.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Maine Home Recreation
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/was-williams-satin-doll-a-flop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.