Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Push600
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

So... someone emailed me from a kijiji add saying they had a Road Kings, that they "just want gone". It does not start. They will not provide pictures. They won't say anything about the condition except "ok for it's age". With that information, not knowing if there is any playfield art left, if there is a backglass, coin door, even legs, and/or if the MPU / Power boards are fried, and looking at a 9 hour round trip to pick the thing up, I offer them $200.

Was that a fair offer?

This is the response I got:

"200....really there must be a lot off stupid people up your way my friend !!!! It will go to the Dump before that ...thank you for your offer ."

#2 8 years ago

If the game is "OK for its age" -> it was not a fair offer.
If the game is more like your "assumptions" -> it was fair.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

If the game is "OK for its age" -> it was not a fair offer.
If the game is more like your "assumptions" -> it was fair.

In my experience, whenever someone says "ok for it's age", it's not really ok for it's age, and they don't want to provide pics, so I hedge my bets towards not ok.

I guess a better question would be a price check.

If it is ok, coin door not bent, not rusty, legs not rusty, PF artwork not worn to the wood in spots, but probably a fried mpu and/or power board, what is a fair offer?

#4 8 years ago

I'm okay for my age.

#5 8 years ago

They won't provide pictures.
It doesn't start.
Okay for it's age.

I think $200 is more than fair, but no way I do 9 hours round trip for that.

#6 8 years ago

It's road kings... Cool game but not exactly top of the sys11 pinball charts. Fair offer considering all the unknowns.

#7 8 years ago

Doesn't matter if it was fair or not, buyer didn't accept it.

Offer more or move on.

#8 8 years ago

It sounds like the seller had a price in mind. Ask them what he wants for it and tell him "don't make me buy it and sell it for you". It will probably be too much, but you already had contact, so why not ask for fun.

#9 8 years ago

an out of the box mint road kings has a hard time fetching 1500 and a good players game would be worth around 800.

When people say "ok for it's age" that means it has playfield wear and issues that they're trying to say is charm or patina.

if you guys were close in price they would have countered or said what they wanted out of it, because they didn't it's most likely unreasonable.

-c

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Doesn't matter if it was fair or not, buyer didn't accept it.
Offer more or move on.

Yeah, a deal won't be reached here, I don't intent to counter and barter with the guy. I posed the question to make sure I wasn't out to lunch in my estimation. When I buy a machine, I want to offer a fair price, and when I sell a machine, I want to ask a fair price.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

really there must be a lot off stupid people up your way

Plus if the guy is already insulting you,,, time to move on.

Yes for a pig in a poke, $200 is a start. Without the insults, maybe a counter for higher and a 9 hour drive story.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

"200....really there must be a lot off stupid people up your way my friend !!!! It will go to the Dump before that ...thank you for your offer ."

You would take it to the dump before accepting payment for it? I think I know where the stupid people are.

To be fair, you should probably up your lowball offers to the $400 to $500 range.

#13 8 years ago

Well its $200 more then he had before. But I guess taking it to the dump costs more than that. But I have to say, without out any pics, any offer is fair. If he wanted it "just gone", then the first offer would have had it. No labor plus money in his pocket = win; but I think that's not the case. I think you did right, if he wanted more, there would be pictures involved.

#14 8 years ago

I would have only offered $100 so I think it's pretty fair

#15 8 years ago

What ever happened to manners ? Didn't peoples mother's ever teach their kids anything. A simple "no thank you" would suffice

#16 8 years ago

I think $200 is fair sight unseen. I probably would have declined to offer anything based on a 9 hour round trip for a Road Kings machine in suspect condition. The time and effort required to retrieve that machine would easily outweigh that machine's value. I'm not a huge fan of Road Kings though, as you may be able to tell.

#17 8 years ago

Nothing wrong with offering someone $200 for what is not a desirable game in essentially unknown condition.

#18 8 years ago

Just tell him. If you expect more, provide a few pix...

#19 8 years ago

If the games doesn't start, you don't know the condition, and they won't take any pics. I would say $200 was a fair offer especially since the seller had no price in mind.
I'd tell the seller not to waste Your time!

#20 8 years ago

No pics. No real report on the condition. He provided you NOTHING except what game it was. Every time I see something like that the person is just trying to rip you off. He is hoping that your mind builds up to thinking it might be a gem. You should write back and drop the offer to $100.

#21 8 years ago

How far is the pin from you? If within an hour or so, I'd just go look at it. Then haggle.

Worse case scenario is you've wasted an hour drive. Best case scenario is you pick up a cheap pin.

Biggest thing in pinball searching/buying is to get there FAST and with cash.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

How far is the pin from you? If within an hour or so, I'd just go look at it.

I guess you didn't read everything...

#23 8 years ago

If the guy said "just want it gone" then he started out with a lie. Then he continued with "It will go to the Dump before that "... another lie.

You can't reason with someone like that.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

How far is the pin from you? If within an hour or so, I'd just go look at it. Then haggle.
Worse case scenario is you've wasted an hour drive. Best case scenario is you pick up a cheap pin.
Biggest thing in pinball searching/buying is to get there FAST and with cash.

9 hours round trip!

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I guess you didn't read everything...

I skimmed.

9 hours round trip!?? I wouldn't drive that for most pinball machines period, let alone a road kings!

#26 8 years ago

Seller called buyer stupid. Seller is a jackass.

Make sure you write him back, explaining his stupidity and jackassery in a 4th grade reading level. You don't want to go over his head.

#27 8 years ago

People on Craigslist get very mad for no reason. I just made a reasonable $150 offer on a beat EM game that had almost no backglass paint left. Trashed cabinet, poorly touched up playfield. They were asking $300. The seller responded with such anger like I asked for their first born. Just a no will do. Was all by email, no real effort wasted.

Just find another machine somewhere and move on.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Seller called buyer stupid. Seller is a jackass.

Now THAT'S the way to sell a game.....NOT! OP, move on and don't look back.

#29 8 years ago

I wouldn't drive that far with no pics.

#30 8 years ago

Anytime someone says they just want an item "gone" (which, to me implies it has no value to them), any offer is reasonable without pics.

#31 8 years ago

yes, you did fine. You can't give a firm quote with out seeing it. If person selling is unreasonable, walk away.

Perhaps if person was close, you could say I will come by an inspect it and then make offer.

9 hour round trip from unknown person for a machine with no pics? No freaking way anyway.

But definitely, you can't buy and sell at the same time.

#32 8 years ago

I wouldn't drive 9 hours for a free Road kings. ...

#33 8 years ago

First I thought it was kinda low. But then I re-thought. Be glad that you saved your $200 and he didn't accept it. Too bad sellers don't just decline the offer and feel obligated to insult the offer, considering they didn't have the guts to just list a price. Next thing you know you're in for $200, plus around $2000 in boards/display/parts and your time to get it respectable. Now your upside down on an OK pin...

Let this POS sit in this guy's house not working for another 5+years. Seller like this is hoping for a newbie to the hobby that will say, "Heck, new machines are going for $6K to $8k... I'll offer you $2k and fix it up."

#34 8 years ago

Submit a new offer... Offer him $100 to take it to the dump for him.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from FunkyFreshWalrus:

People on Craigslist get very mad for no reason. I just made a reasonable $150 offer on a beat EM game that had almost no backglass paint left. Trashed cabinet, poorly touched up playfield. They were asking $300. The seller responded with such anger Like I asked for their first born. Just a no will do. Was all be email, no real effort wasted.
Just find another machine somewhere and move on.

Relative anonymity brings out the worst in people.

Make a personal connection with potential buyers or sellers by speaking on the phone whenever possible.

You'll have better luck.

#36 8 years ago

$200 is low if the game is in nice shape. Rather than firing off a low offer and risk losing the deal I would have asked if he can provide pictures. At same time, politely point out it's a 9 hour trip and you cann't make an offer without knowing the condition. Then you can always throw it back at him and ask, "Do you have a price in mind.".

On the plus side, RK is a pretty crappy game. You didn't miss out on a gem

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

9 hours round trip!?? I wouldn't drive that for most pinball machines period, let alone a Road Kings!

But to a true Road King, a 9 hours round trip is peanuts...
A road trip for a road king makes sense. The journey is the reward. Even if you end up not buying it

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

$200 is low if the game is in nice shape. Rather than firing off a low offer and risk losing the deal I would have asked if he can provide pictures. At same time, politely point out it's a 9 hour trip and you cann't make an offer without knowing the condition. Then you can always throw it back at him and ask, "Do you have a price in mind.".
On the plus side, RK is a pretty crappy game. You didn't miss out on a gem

OP said the seller refused to provide pictures or even a description of the game's condition! Hard to imagine undertaking a 9 hour drive under those conditions ...

#40 8 years ago

How about this instead: "Without photos or a more complete description of the condition, I can offer you 400 as a baseline. This will necessarily be adjusted upward or downward once you fill in the blanks."

#41 8 years ago

I wouldn't drive 9 hours to pick up a Road Kings for free. What if you show up and they sold it to someone else? What if you show up and it's still a Road Kings?

Absolute bottom of the barrel System 11 (Though I've never played Millionaire). The best part of the game is that the bonus countdown sound will momentarily make you think you are playing a High Speed.

No point in a catty back and forth with this idiot I'd just move on with my life.

#42 8 years ago

I just think it's hilarious he would rather dump it than take $200. What an idiot.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from Archytas:

I just think it's hilarious he would rather dump it than take $200. What an idiot.

He's full of shit, you can't take anything idiots like that say at face value.

The proper way to deal with guys like that is so "Ok, thanks for the feedback. If you have no luck selling it please get back to me later." This used to work a lot for me in the old days...a couple months later I'd hear back and they'd take me up on my offer. These days not so much everybody pays more for games (overpays get off my lawn) of all types so deals are hard to find.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

So... someone emailed me from a kijiji add saying they had a Road Kings, that they "just want gone". It does not start. They will not provide pictures. They won't say anything about the condition except "ok for it's age". With that information, not knowing if there is any playfield art left, if there is a backglass, coin door, even legs, and/or if the MPU / Power boards are fried, and looking at a 9 hour round trip to pick the thing up, I offer them $200.
Was that a fair offer?
This is the response I got:

I would have told you to go eat a dick.

#45 8 years ago

Against my own better judgement, I responded that my offer was fair, based on the limited knowledge I had and no pics were provided. I also told him I could let him know where he could sell salvageable parts (translite, plastics, ramps, coin door, boards) if he wanted to recoup the dumping costs.

His reply was that if I get a chance I could send him some pictures and maybe he'll buy one from me. Weird, since I am not offering any for sale. Weird squared, as he will not provide pictures of what he has for sale.

Could be that I'm being trolled. Not sure. Not going to bother with a follow up though.

But basically, the vibe I'm getting is that i was not unreasonable in my offer, and ultimately that's the feedback I was looking for. Thanks all!

#46 8 years ago

Thread wasn't a total loss. I finally learned where the Bay of Fundy is located.

#47 8 years ago

A 9 hour drive and no pics??? How hard can it be to take a cellphone pic and send it by mail, takes less than a minute altogether.

He's just trying to lure you into driving there knowing that you will take the machine in any condition and for a really bad price just so you haven't done the long trip for nothing.

He's suspecting a desperate buyer as you've shown him that you're even considering driving that far for such a machine without any knowledge about it's condition.

Let it go! The seller is actually pretty smart, he's playing with you and sheer existence of this thread is proving him right.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

His reply was that if I get a chance I could send him some pictures and maybe he'll buy one from me. Weird, since I am not offering any for sale. Weird squared, as he will not provide pictures of what he has for sale.
Could be that I'm being trolled. Not sure. Not going to bother with a follow up though.

He's obviously hoping for dick pics ...

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

He's obviously hoping for dick pics ...

He's actually trying to lure him into bringing a pin. Puts the OP in the weakest possible position for negotiations: The OP will be stuck hours away from home, trying to sell a pin he most likely doesn't want to take back all the way while longing to buy something he's never seen.

Price of the Road Kings will suddenly go up, offer for the machine brought will be half of what was agreed and it will end with a trade offer that is an even worse deal.

He's using the most basic sales psychology possible.

#50 8 years ago

9 hour drive for a Road Kings even for free ? Pass

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/was-this-a-fair-offer/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.