(Topic ID: 85557)

Was there silver in the solder in early 60's Gottlieb's?

By alb0711

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by alb0711
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

While soldering in a new coil on my Slick Chick I noticed that the old solder was much brighter then my new solder when melted. I know silver was used for some electronic soldering. Silver was still in coins in 1963, wondering if it was also in the factory solder?

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from alb0711:

While soldering in a new coil on my Slick Chick I noticed that the old solder was much brighter then my new solder when melted. I know silver was used for some electronic soldering. Silver was still in coins in 1963, wondering if it was also in the factory solder?

Probably not silver...more likely very high lead content solder. It would be very shiny.

#3 10 years ago

That makes sense. I hadn't thougth about additional lead. Better not breath that stuff when soldering!

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from alb0711:

That makes sense. I hadn't thougth about additional lead. Better not breath that stuff when soldering!

Breathing is not the problem with lead...you get way way more lead through the absorption on the skin. Just wash your hands before eating and you will be fine. The fumes, well they are from the flux. Still probably not good for you to breathe in, I've been doing it for years...and I'm just weird. I tend to flush that out with Marlboro smoke.

#5 10 years ago

In 1963, they likely would have been using common 60/40 solder.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Breathing is not the problem with lead...you get way way more lead through the absorption on the skin. Just wash your hands before eating and you will be fine. The fumes, well they are from the flux. Still probably not good for you to breathe in, I've been doing it for years...and I'm just weird. I tend to flush that out with Marlboro smoke.

+1... wash hands well after handling and there should be no problems...

although i don't flush it out with newport (in my case) smoke while i'm actually soldering... i'm not that brave...

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I tend to flush that out with Marlboro smoke.

Same technique I use.

Quoted from ccotenj:

although i don't flush it out with newport (in my case) smoke while i'm actually soldering... i'm not that brave...

You don't have to smoke while you're soldering just within about a ten minute period afterwards.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

You don't have to smoke while you're soldering just within about a ten minute period afterwards.

i'm good then...

#9 10 years ago

I'll need to get better with the handwashing after solder. Here I've been thinking it was my age that causing me to forget things when all along it was the solder!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shaker Heights, OH
1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Staunton, VA
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/was-there-silver-in-the-solder-in-early-60s-gottliebs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.