(Topic ID: 101405)

Was in Wildwood NJ this weekend and visited Pinball Palace. What a shame.

By fflint_18

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by kovalski3
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1350 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1824.JPG

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Went to the beach this weekend to go on beach and eat some food.

While wife was shopping I decided to visit Randy and the Pinball Palace. I was really disappointed.

I went by a few years ago right after it opened and it wasn't too bad. Some machines needed work, but all in all I figured he was just getting started and would fix stuff up as things went along.

We'll most of the machines looked pretty bad. Doesn't look like much maintenance has been going on.

I played a few machines and most played like crap.

The area that he was reserving for free play by paying by the hour was filled with all kinds of junk.

There are some really good names in there and I expected more from a self proclaimed pinball genius.

It's a real shame when you compare it to the Silverball Museum.

I really hope things get better, but I doubt it since he seems to be appealing to kids for a couple bucks to see what us old guys thought was cool high tech stuff back in ancient times.

#2 4 years ago

That is disappointing. I was on vacation up from Texas and drove through NJ a few weeks ago and made a beeline for the Silverball Museum, Ashbury Park and had a blast. Played great EMs and the time went so quick I had to be dragged out. Guess i picked the right venue.

Steve j.

#3 4 years ago

I have so many great memories in wildwood. Easily the best beach and boardwalk in NJ.

#4 4 years ago

Sounds like the same story when he was on Glenwood ave & the boardwalk years ago. More "Out Of Order" signs on the machines than people actually playing them...

#5 4 years ago

Wow,
    That's a shame to hear. I visited that location a few years back & they were in sad shape then.
    Can you imagine how popular it would be if the machines were in good shape?

#6 4 years ago

Same here. I stopped in a couple of weeks ago and did not spend a quarter. Nothing of interest to me.

#7 4 years ago

Oh that blows but good to know.
    We went to the Silver ball museum for the first time a few weeks ago and had a great time.
    Was thinking about checking out the Palace next.
    Guess we'll go back to Silver ball instead lol

#8 4 years ago

Yeah, also just went to Randy's. Not too much interesting, but he does have a good playing model of the ever divisive Orbiter-1! Played a few games and enjoyed it.

When my daughter put her two quarters into the whack-a-mole and looked for the mallet, however, she was told she could "just use her hand". Took a photo of the rules sign (with rules like don't even text because it is out of place in that arcade) just for the heck of it.

May be worth dropping in but not for setting a destination.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from sb33334:

Yeah, also just went to Randy's. Not too much interesting, but he does have a good playing model of the ever divisive Orbiter-1! Played a few games and enjoyed it.
    When my daughter put her two quarters into the whack-a-mole and looked for the mallet, however, she was told she could "just use her hand". Took a photo of the rules sign (with rules like don't even text because it is out of place in that arcade) just for the heck of it.
    May be worth dropping in but not for setting a destination.

Randy is insane regarding the "No Photography" rule. If it wasn't for the condition of the machines and Randy's invasive and aggressive tendencies, this would be a great destination.

#10 4 years ago

Here is a partial (stealth) shot of the rules sign. Too bad that about the circumstances. He even has the horse race classic game from the WW Boardwalk (where you roll the ball into a hole with a certain score and your horse manually goes forward on the huge gameboard).

This place should be the Silverball of Wildwood. Hope it reaches its potential. They even had a Big Bertha, but I could not register any weight gain (score).

DSCF1824.JPG
    #11 4 years ago

"Saftey" huh?...sad.

Wth is with those rules?

Why is pics or video such a big deal?

Keep phones in your pocket? Are you kidding me?

That sign alone makes me never want to go there lol.

#12 4 years ago

Luckily you're nowhere near Wildwood, NJ.

#13 4 years ago

Silverball museum is great.

For the most part, every machine is in great working condition.

Only a couple machines need a restoration (Elvis) and I wish they would bring spectrum back.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from sb33334:

Here is a partial (stealth) shot of the rules sign. Too bad that about the circumstances. He even has the horse race classic game from the WW Boardwalk (where you roll the ball into a hole with a certain score and your horse manually goes forward on the huge gameboard).
    This place should be the Silverball of Wildwood. Hope it reaches its potential. They even had a Big Bertha, but I could not register any weight gain (score).

DSCF1824.JPG 141 KB

No pinball maintenance? Yeah, I'll take a selfie right in front of his face. I see these 'rules' I keep walking.

If place had a rep of good quality pins then rules can be respected.

This shit pisses me off.

Hey 'Randy', do us a favor and go run a friggen dollar store with your present location.

Another area I've been going to for years is Funspot in Weir, NH. Not only are almost all the pins unplayable, but a lot of the video games were either off, had junked screens of dead joysticks. Last visit there I think.

#15 4 years ago

Wildwood is a dump! So it doesn't surprise me when hearing about this place. Wildwood has been on the decline for the last 20 years or so. It was looked over by all major real estate investors during the housing bubble. We call it "Atlantic City South... Where you come to gamble with your life!"

#16 4 years ago

He's looney!

#17 4 years ago

My wife tried to use that place to bait me into joining her in Wildwood...with the mother-in-law. I took one look at the video of the place and realized I was being snookered. Ain't no friggin' way that place would have made it worth a week spent with Cruella de Ville.

#18 4 years ago

I find that Wildwood is nice working class folk and there is lots of stuff for the kids to do. Is there any reason you would call it AC south (actual crimes/dangers, etc..)? There is a lack of pins there (I found a Simpsons, Iron Man and an Avatar, other than the pins at Randy's) but I find its a reasonably pleasant place.

Been going there for my entire life, close to 40 years and never had a problem. But if Cruella De Ville is there, I ai'n't going (Beelzeboob- when the wife does leave for Wildwood, what is the best place to grab a homemade meal, Esposito's??)

#19 4 years ago

Wildwood ain't that bad, and the beach is free!! (no beach tags for those not familiar to jersey beaches)

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from sb33334:

I find that Wildwood is nice working class folk and there is lots of stuff for the kids to do. Is there any reason you would call it AC south (actual crimes/dangers, etc..)? There is a lack of pins there (I found a Simpsons, Iron Man and an Avatar, other than the pins at Randy's) but I find its a reasonably pleasant place.
    Been going there for my entire life, close to 40 years and never had a problem. But if Cruella De Ville is there, I ai'n't going (Beelzeboob- when the wife does leave for Wildwood, what is the best place to grab a homemade meal, Esposito's??)

Just for clarification: My mother-in-law is Cruella de Ville. My wife is awesome. And the best place for a homecooked meal is my place when my wife is home. She's a great cook and I have three fun pins. And you're only 15 minutes away!

#21 4 years ago

Thanks for clarifying. What time is dinner? I need 15 mins notice. Thanks.

#22 4 years ago

I'm not picking on Wildwood.

I go there several times a year.

Beach is free. And there is so much of it you can play baseball out there without getting yelled at.

They do all kinds of events, car shows, fire mans convention, etc.

I like people watching and there is no better beach town in Jersey for that. Lots of strange things to see.

My kids love it because it is so full of girls trolling the boards.

Good boardwalk food.

And lastly, the Hot Spot has the best gyro "hands down" on the east coast.

But for pinball go to Asbury Park.

#23 4 years ago

Gotta love the part of the "rules" sign that tells people to treat the games with care. From what you describe, it doesn't sound like the owner is treating the games properly. Maybe it's on there because the games are in such bad shape they'll break down if treated too roughly.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from fflint_18:

I'm not picking on Wildwood.
    I go there several times a year.
    Beach is free. And there is so much of it you can play baseball out there without getting yelled at.
    They do all kinds of events, car shows, fire mans convention, etc.
    I like people watching and there is no better beach town in Jersey for that. Lots of strange things to see.
    My kids love it because it is so full of girls trolling the boards.
    Good boardwalk food.
    And lastly, the Hot Spot has the best gyro "hands down" on the east coast.
    But for pinball go to Asbury Park.

Agree!! Great boardwalk food, its a shame there is no arcade with decent pins.

#25 4 years ago

Also agree, Curley's fries are the best fries ever, Mack's pizza is awesome, and I did have 2 gyro's at Hot Spot! Awesome. The beach is free so you can spend a half hour there without having to feel invested. There are still some classic dark rides both old and new.

Too bad we cannot petition for a great pin location there!

2 weeks later
    #26 4 years ago
    Quoted from fflint_18:

I was there only once, several years ago. I actually went there with a pin to sell to Randy, and made a little vacation out of it. I met Vic Camp there who was vacationing with his family. His kids brought baseball equipment. I started hitting fungoes out to them, and there was plenty of room to do so on that gigantic beach. Got them up into the sea breeze, and man, they really carried. I must have hit some 300 feet at least. I don't think Vic's kids caught even one of them!

2 months later
    #27 4 years ago

We should flash mob the place and everyone should have a camera with them.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I started hitting fungoes out to them, and there was plenty of room to do so on that gigantic beach.

I guess those Jetties out there really saved on the beaches. I used to go to the Crest every year, then stopped for about 10-12 years. When I returned, the beaches were twice the size. If you happen to get to water's edge and find you left something in the car, you're going to be pissed!

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

No pinball maintenance? Yeah, I'll take a selfie right in front of his face. I see these 'rules' I keep walking.
    If place had a rep of good quality pins then rules can be respected.
    This shit pisses me off.
    Hey 'Randy', do us a favor and go run a friggen dollar store with your present location.
    Another area I've been going to for years is Funspot in Weir, NH. Not only are almost all the pins unplayable, but a lot of the video games were either off, had junked screens of dead joysticks. Last visit there I think.

Funspot is a huge disappointment, yet it continues to pull in crowds cuz there's very little to do in the area. I went about 15 months ago--nothing even close to working. Pins were a disgrace, tons of videos didn't work, and no one gave a crap. I can maybe understand not keeping up with the pins, but the videos were shocking.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from TaTa:

We call it "Atlantic City South... Where you come to gamble with your life!"

First place I had a knife pulled on me. I was seven.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from Boatcat:

I guess those Jetties out there really saved on the beaches. I used to go to the Crest every year, then stopped for about 10-12 years. When I returned, the beaches were twice the size. If you happen to get to water's edge and find you left something in the car, you're going to be pissed!

and they are getting bigger too... always strange seeing these big long piers that don't even come close to reaching the water...

they dump sand at various beaches along the shore every year... and every year, mother nature washes it down to wildwood... where it sticks...

pretty soon, you are gonna have to take a bus to get from the boardwalk to the water!

i miss summer already...

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from eeperjesi:

First place I had a knife pulled on me. I was seven.

You must have been one rotten kid.

#33 4 years ago

I beat a kid at pool.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from eeperjesi:

We call it "Atlantic City South... Where you come to gamble with your life!"

Could've been worse! You could've been north of Seaside!

#35 4 years ago

Atlantic City is way worse than Wildwood!

#36 4 years ago

Gotta go back. Always went to the Golden Rail Motel. One block from the beginning of the Boardwalk!
    "Watch the train car please!"

...just found out the Golden rail is still there!!

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Gotta go back. Always went to the Golden Rail Motel. One block from the beginning of the Boardwalk!
    "Watch the train car please!"
    ...just found out the Golden rail is still there!!

"Fireproof luxury resort Motel" is an interesting intro on the website!!

http://www.goldenrailmotel.com/

#38 4 years ago

Well.....at least NOW I feel safe!

#39 4 years ago

Wildwood is a perfectly nice shore town that attracts working class families. The amusement piers are in the top ten busiest amusement parks in the nation.

It is nothing like Atlantic city which is essentially a beach front ghetto.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mojosan:

Wildwood is a perfectly nice shore town that attracts working class families. The amusement piers are in the top ten busiest amusement parks in the nation.
    It is nothing like Atlantic city which is essentially a beach front ghetto.

Don't forget Section 8

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Don't forget Section 8

#43 4 years ago

Tram Car

#44 4 years ago

"Watch the Tram Car please...."

#45 4 years ago

hehe been a while since I have been there. It has to be one of the most annoying sounds that you want to hear when you are on the boards....

#46 4 years ago

The tram car is a staple. Wildwood wouldn't be the same without it.

#47 4 years ago

Is the tram car still there??

#48 4 years ago

Sure is and a few more have been made and added.

The ORIGINAL Pinball Palace on Sportland Pier was the best, during the 70's!! Anybody remember it? Nothing like the one Randy has today on the boardwalk.

Quoted from spfxted:

Is the tram car still there??

#49 4 years ago

What is section 8?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 38.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside