Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Mike_J
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 months ago

Hey all. Haven't been on in a while.
    Just sold the last machine I had. Am in the process of looking for another one.
    Anyway; I was kind of caught off guard from a message I just received today from one of the many potential "buyees" asking if I had sold the machine.
    Apparently he'd thought we were "in the process of figuring out a pickup time". I had told him in a previous message that I was available during all weekday evenings. Didn't hear anything for a day or two. Last night I got a message from a different guy who had cash in hand and wanted to come buy it, so I sold it then and there.
    For future interactions- should I have messaged this guy before I sold it to someone else? I really wouldn't have known what to say since this guy had cash in hand and wanted the machine right then.
    I SWEAR I read something on here somewhere as advice for buying a pin to aggressively purchase it right then if you really want that machine.
    Not sure why I'm asking, but your input can maybe point me into doing the right thing in the future

#2 9 months ago

No contact for a day or two, I will sometimes politely reach out to them if someone else messages me (if I think the transaction with the first person is gonna go somewhere), but the seller is under no obligation to do so. You're definitely not in the wrong, if that guy wanted it he shoulda figured out a time and date quicker.

#3 9 months ago

Unless you told him specifically a time to go pick it up, like 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, or said you were holding it for them, don't think you did anything wrong.

#4 9 months ago

I wouldn't sweat it. If he left you hanging for a day or two without a solid agreement in place I wouldn't consider it sold. As a buyer you need to firmly say "I'll take it" and offer either a deposit or have an agreement in place of when to pick it up.

#5 9 months ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

if that guy wanted it he shoulda figured out a time and date quicker.

Pretty much.

You snooze, you lose.

#6 9 months ago

You did no wrong. It’s a competitive market so the guy can’t drag his feet responding and expect you to sit by waiting. I usually warn someone up front that I can’t guarantee something will still be around if they delay.

I had a similar experience selling furniture on marketplace. Lady contacted me on a Tuesday but wanted to see the stuff Saturday. A couple days later someone local reached out and bought it within an hour. The first lady was pissed and unloaded on me. Sorry I’m not a layaway service for randos.

#7 9 months ago

Tell them "it sucks to suck" and move on. They weren't serious buyers and likely wouldn't have come through anyway.

#8 9 months ago

Whenever I am selling something, not necessarily a pin, I always tell prospective buyers that, unless they're on the way as we're texting and we set up a specific time, I cannot hold it. Paypal/Zelle/Venmo me a decent amount for a deposit and I'll hold it up to a month. After that, they've lost their deposit. Yes, this has happened. A lot. I know it sounds like a dick move, but buyers are just way too flaky these days.

#9 9 months ago
    Quoted from gutz:

Tell them "it sucks to suck" and move on. They weren't serious buyers and likely wouldn't have come through anyway.

Right.

He only “wants it” now that it’s sold. And if the seller had messaged him first, this guy would have seen it as a sign of weakness and lowballed him.

As you can see I’m pretty much sick of everybody in this hobby hahahah…

Hang around long enough you see it all.

#10 9 months ago

Nope. Don't loose any sleep over it. First come first served. Now if he drives an hour and half because you ghosted him and didn't tell him it was gone, that would be a dick move.

Ask Spider138.....

#11 9 months ago

Sounds like the prospective buyer "assumed".

No definitive time or date mentioned? Not your fault.

Didn't respond for a couple of days? Not your fault.

Isn't your job to babysit people.

#12 9 months ago

He asked if you sold it, so without further info, it sounds like he didn't think you came to a deal. I agree with everyone else, you did what most anyone would do. Unless a deal is struck, the first one with money gets it. Now if I had a deal with verbal agreement, drove 5 hours, and then found out it was sold; that would be completely different.

#13 9 months ago

Thanks you guys (and gals?) Idk he must have jedi mind tricked me with his questioning loaded with entitlement like I had the audacity to sell and was supposed to hold it for him or something? And no, fellas, no date was ever set. I would NEVER EVER sell something out from under anyone when a tentative agreement was made. I've even held machines for guys coming out from Oregon (i's in WA state) as long as they let me know they were on the way. I can see clearly now, you guys. thank you!

#14 9 months ago

You’re fine, move on. Like Levi mentioned, the other guy was going to keep dragging his feet and stringing you along. Been there, done with that. After selling a few games you’ll recognize and weed those guys out pretty easily.

#15 9 months ago

Gotta move quicker than that buyer!

#16 9 months ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

Whenever I am selling something, not necessarily a pin, I always tell prospective buyers that, unless they're on the way as we're texting and we set up a specific time, I cannot hold it. Paypal/Zelle/Venmo me a decent amount for a deposit and I'll hold it up to a month. After that, they've lost their deposit. Yes, this has happened. A lot. I know it sounds like a dick move, but buyers are just way too flaky these days.

That's so weird. I've bought/sold about a hundred pins and don't recall anyone ever flaking out on me. Knock on wood.

#17 9 months ago

I think everyone that’s posted is right on the money.

But I’m stuck in my old ways and really try to take people in order of response— with some subjectivity given to if the responses seem legit or flakey. Personally I would have told cash in hand guy I had a tentative deal, but would reach back out after checking. Then texted the og potential buyer saying I had someone that wants it now with cash — “if you want this game letvme know with a day/time you’re coming. If I don’t hear back in 24hrs, moving on. “ more than likely you’d get screwed by the first guy and lose the second one while waiting though.. but who knows. I think the way you handled it is pretty reasonable these days. If I want something, I’m not waiting two days to respond.

#18 9 months ago

You did nothing wrong
    unless someone has made a firm date/time for pickup, or a deposit, then you would be foolish not to sell to someone with cash

#19 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

But I’m stuck in my old ways and really try to take people in order of response— with some subjectivity given to if the responses seem legit or flakey. Personally I would have told cash in hand guy I had a tentative deal, but would reach back out after checking. Then texted the og potential buyer saying I had someone that wants it now with cash — “if you want this game letvme know with a day/time you’re coming. If I don’t hear back in 24hrs, moving on. “ more than likely you’d get screwed by the first guy and lose the second one while waiting though.. but who knows. I think the way you handled it is pretty reasonable these days. If I want something, I’m not waiting two days to respond.

I like where you're coming from on this. I knew it was going to move pretty fast because I've always listed my machines at "pinside prices". Looks like you are from the area, so you know what I'm talking about. (For example: there's a routed and beat to absolute crap LOTR for sale for 7500, and a Striker Xtreme at 4750 or something). IDK. When roles are reversed- if I see a machine I want at an actual fair price, I am on the way that day to go grab it.

#20 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

But this isn’t the ‘old’ days any more where someone had to physically pick up the phone and talk to a real person. Now a buyer can window shop and blast out questions to dozens of different ads in minutes using messenger. I’ve had tons of people say they really want something and yet that’s the last you hear from them. In reality these people are just window shopping or stringing you along as they work on a couple purchases. That’s why I feel like it’s a waste of your time as a seller trying to follow some order.

#21 9 months ago

I believe you are in the wrong, but not too a large extent. You forgot common courtesy. Are you required to give a stranger or future buyer common courtesy, what about if it was a friend or a family member??? No, but I want for you to imagine a world without no common courtesy and apply it to every aspect of human interaction, I promise you it’s not a world you want to live in. We all can and should strive to be better, maybe the old days were better days. With a little more effort and a little less greed, you could have been better………all you had to do is message the first person who inquired, that you had someone with cash who wanted it, so piss or get off the pot. Again, don’t sweat it, just remember it for next time.

#22 9 months ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I believe you are in the wrong, but not too a large extent. You forgot common curtesy. Are you required to give a stranger or future buyer common courtesy, what about if it was a friend or a family member??? No, but I want for you to imagine a world without no common curtesy and apply it to every aspect of human interaction, I promise you it’s not a world you want to live in. We all can and should strive to be better, maybe the old days were better days. With a little more effort and a little less greed, you could have been better………all you had to do is message the first person who inquired, that you had someone with cash who wanted it, so piss or get off the pot. Again, don’t sweat it, just remember it for next time.

Flip side is sometimes you inform the first potential buyer that someone may be coming with cash and either never hear from them cuz they think you’re trying a pressure sale or they ‘promise’ to show up, you tell the next guy it’s potentially sold, then first guy doesn’t show up. Now zero sale. Being polite is fine and all but sometimes you gotta be a car salesman. I never take a verbal promise, unless that buyer is on the road with a time to arrive or I know them. First come, first offered.

And don’t try to change the price once you’re in my collection. Unless machine is not as described( ha! Yeah right!).

I’ve had all types. Most have been awesome.

#23 9 months ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Flip side is sometimes you inform the first potential buyer that someone may be coming with cash and either never hear from them cuz they think you’re trying a pressure sale or they ‘promise’ to show up, you tell the next guy it’s potentially sold, then first guy doesn’t show up. Now zero sale. Being polite is fine and all but sometimes you gotta be a car salesman. I never take a verbal promise, unless that buyer is on the road with a time to arrive or I know them. First come, first offered.
    And don’t try to change the price once you’re in my collection. Unless machine is not as described( ha! Yeah right!).
    I’ve had all types. Most have been awesome.

There is no flip side………You said it, “most have been awesome”. So why choose to think negative about a situation that was not described to be? It’s simple, give the first guy a date and that’s it, if he doesn’t show, the other guy can have it, you can decide if that date is 1-7 days, why over complicate a simple situation to support not having to be polite……….If ones mind is rationalizing in that way, they are part of the problem. The number one issue with buyers and sellers and the world in general is lack of communication. You can communicate a lot and learn a lot from a phone call. I see a whole lot of people complaining the world is going to shit, yet they are not willing to do their part to correct anything themselves. These machines are worth thousands, they are not a $20 items, it makes sense to over communicate. I don’t care about one off examples of a$$ holes, they will always exist, it doesn’t mean you should stop trusting people…………and trusting people, while being cautious, doesn’t mean you are naive.

#24 9 months ago

I believe you are in the wrong, but not too a large extent.

The only thing he did wrong is not asking for a deposit.

When I’m selling a pin, I’m cool if they don’t show up for a month to collect it. No problems.

But if they say they want it, or ask a bunch of questions, I ask them to pay a deposit ($500 or $1000 depending on value of item) and then it’s theirs, and I’ll withdraw it from sale.

Deposit paid = sold.

Nice and simple.

rd

#25 9 months ago

I like this thread. I've only bought a couple of pinball machines and am still new to the hobby. Threads like this help us new guys navigate pinball transactions and help us learn the best ways to deal with people and what is normal in the pinball community. I'm guessing buying machines from pinsiders helps cut out a lot of problems, but I could be wrong.

#26 9 months ago

I’ve bought and sold over 150 pins and I have only had a few issues. I can also admit that I have been a bad buyer on roughly 2 occasions I can recall (one recently where I backed out of a deal on a guy who was kind enough to hold the game for me...LZ pro sucks!) Below are some tips

Seller
    - Over communicate your expectations, offer your number so people can ask questions
    - Properly describe the machine being sold, lots of pictures, the good, bad and ugly
    - Be clear about pricing upfront and know what the game is worth, “This is firm, there is no room”
    - Be clear about Payment, “Deposit with cash on the glass”
    - Be clear about timing, “I will not hold the game for you or you have until Tuesday”
    - Be clear about access to the machine, “It’s in a basement down 14 steps”
    - Do not sell to buyers that are traveling long distances, unless the game is flawless

Buyer
    - Over communicate your expectations, offer your number to improve communication and good will
    - Never assume anything regarding seller or machine condition, know your risk and be prepared to take that risk, especially if it’s a substantial drive
    - Request lots of pictures and details about the machines, especially if it is an older game
    - Ask if there is room on pricing
    - Offer a deposit with clearly defined payment terms
    - If the seller falls short on his communication skills, you need to pick up the slack

What did I miss guys?

#27 9 months ago

It's not your job as seller to parent slacker buyers. If a potential buyer is not immediately setting up a time, talking price, and making plans they are not serious. Courtesy is not wasting your time trying to figure out buyer's intentions. Just like a buyer might miss out, seller could miss out on sell by holding game for phantom buyers. You owe them nothing.

#28 9 months ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

The only thing he did wrong is not asking for a deposit.
    When I’m selling a pin, I’m cool if they don’t show up for a month to collect it. No problems.
    But if they say they want it, or ask a bunch of questions, I ask them to pay a deposit ($500 or $1000 depending on value of item) and then it’s theirs, and I’ll withdraw it from sale.
    Deposit paid = sold.
    Nice and simple.
    //<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"d70be455c4ae5e4e155112fa3fe09009fe21aba0-1634818007-1800"};

//]]>

A deposit separates a buyer from the tire kickers.

rd

#29 9 months ago

- Request lots of pictures and details about the machines, especially if it is an older game
    - Ask if there is room on pricing

When potential buyers do this on a game that is a decent deal or in demand they pretty much miss out.

#30 9 months ago

First one to arrive with the cash takes it. There was a machine just yesterday I made arrangements to look at and as I was standing in line at the bank to take the money out for it, the seller texted me to say he just sold it. No problem. I wasn't quick enough. Its on me. No hard feelings...... A few months ago I was telling a guy who sold me a machine a story of how I beat another guy to a Metallica and that I had felt bad.....guess what....I was talking to the guy I beat to it and didn't know it. While he called me lots of names, there was no hard feelings...it happens. You can't pass up a chance to sell....you don't know when you will have another opportunity.

#31 9 months ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

When potential buyers do this on a game that is a decent deal or in demand they pretty much miss out.

Pretty much ha. I don't mind so much people asking if I am flexible on price, I usually am if it still gets me what I want out of it.

It's the picture collectors that drive me nuts. If you want to come see the game in person and take all the time you need to go through it, that's how I know you're serious. I've spent too much of my time window shopping for people. If you want a close up of something or other, totally understandable, once you start asking for pictures of every connector...sorry, I'm out ha.

To answer the OP's question, I don't think you were in the wrong. Any serious buyer would have made a deposit or arrangements for a pick up time right away. Failing that, a simple "hey I have XYX commitments today let me give you a time tomorrow morning", etc.

"Right" or not in the eyes of the old school pinball ethics and honor code, unless I'm sure your coming I'm taking the sure thing every time.

#32 9 months ago
    Quoted from insight75:

You can't pass up a chance to sell....you don't know when you will have another opportunity.

Personally, I no longer participate in this type of pinball market. It takes away from my enjoyment of the hobby which includes getting to know, and occasionally befriending, other hobbyists.

I enjoy some normal back-and-forth but if the buyer/seller is trying to squeeze out every last $100 or apply pressure tactics like “first one who shows up with cash on glass” then I politely say no thanks, move on and in some cases make a mental note not to deal with that person again. Not saying there is anything wrong with aggressive tactics, but I’d rather save that for business not my hobby.

I’ve bought and sold dozens of games with a verbal handshake without issue. With that said, I always over communicate, give and expect a timely response, and offer to PayPal a deposit to hold a game.

In the Ops case, if it was a well regarded Pinsider and we had agreed on everything except a pick up time, I would have given him a short window to close the deal. If it was a random person then it probably would have depended on the extent and friendliness of our conversations to that point.

#33 9 months ago

I use the "pending" rule. If I had listed it on pinside would I mark it sale pending? If not it's fair game.

#34 9 months ago

I don't think you did anything that wrong. I have had this happen a couple times I usually send a warning text to the original buyer that I need to know when he is coming. If he is unresponsive or tells me a couple months from now you move on to the next person.

#35 9 months ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

Beware of Paypal! I used to take Paypal deposits like you are doing and got screwed. Long story short - I was selling a cheap pinball machine and a guy from a few states away said he DEFINITELY wanted it but couldn't pick it up for a few weeks to a month. I said ok, he Paypal'd me $100 deposit and then the waiting began. We had several telephone conversations over the next 4 months where he continued to assure me he was coming and definitely wanted it. He continued to make excuses as to why he hadn't come. Everything from fear of Covid to his schedule changed. I offered to ship the game to him but he refused saying he didn't want to pay the shipping cost.

In the meantime, I actually turned down a cash buyer who was in my house, wanted the game, but I told him I had a deposit on it. After about 5 months, I finally gave up on the guy and sold it to someone else for $100 less than the original price. He called about a month later to ask if I still had the game. I told him it was sold and he wasn't getting his deposit back since I had stored it so long and ultimately took less than originally planned. He threatened to bad mouth me to anyone and everyone and then filed a complaint with Paypal.

This was 6 months after the initial transaction which is supposedly outside of Paypal's rules. Paypal contacted me and I explained what happened. They seemed insistent that since he had never received the item, he was due a refund. After review by their people, they refunded the $100 and demanded I reimburse them. I have refused to do so since it is not right in my opinion. What good is a deposit to hold something if it is refundable at any time?
    Nonetheless, they sicked a bill collector on me and cancelled my Paypal account (good!).

Just on principal, I will never refund the $100 so I guess the bill collectors will be chasing me for the next few years, but I don't care. In short, if you take a deposit with Paypal, you got nothin'!!

#36 9 months ago

If you have to ask "was I wrong" chances are good you did something wrong... very wrong.

Shame, shame...

#37 9 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He only “wants it” now that it’s sold. And if the seller had messaged him first, this guy would have seen it as a sign of weakness and lowballed him.

Nailed it, spot on. Pinball has always been a whoever shows up with the cash first gets the machine. Unless you’ve expressly made a deal to hold a machine for someone you have no duty just because you are in discussions. You would have looked desperate had you reached out to him, the burden to lock in a deal is on the buyer in Pinball.

#38 9 months ago

Until the buyer and seller have an agreement in place, anything goes.

According to your side of the story, you did just fine. The buyer should have made more of an effort to reach an agreement, or make a deposit, or whatever. Maybe his side of the story differs? But there doesn't seem to be any agreement or any deposit, so that's on him imo.

If I'm buying a machine, I make constant communication and a deposit if possible, and arrangements to pick it up asap. There's nothing worse than dropping communication or failing to drive over and pick it up immediately.

Quoted from insight75:

First one to arrive with the cash takes it.

I'm fine if someone wants to make a deal this way, but I'd never do this myself. This takes a chance that two people or more show up, if I read this correctly, and that would be a nightmare scenario. Someone on pinside sold a game this way and three people showed up. That was quite the story and no matter what happens, you're the bad guy in at least 2 people's minds, if not all 3.

As a buyer: I live multiple hours away from most places in the Northeast, so if I'm forced to race others to the finish line, I'll never win. I couldn't imagine driving 3-4 hours to buy a game only to lose out because the seller sold to someone else who arrived earlier.

#39 9 months ago

If a buyer says he is literally on his way to buy the machine, it is incumbent on the seller to hold the machine for him until his arrival. No matter who might show up in the meanwhile. As a buyer, I have always called as I'm leaving to let the seller know I'm on my way and to absolutely positively not do anything with anybody else until I arrive.

#40 9 months ago

There is no flip side………You said it, “most have been awesome”. So why choose to think negative about a situation that was not described to be? It’s simple, give the first guy a date and that’s it, if he doesn’t show, the other guy can have it, you can decide if that date is 1-7 days, why over complicate a simple situation to support not having to be polite……….If ones mind is rationalizing in that way, they are part of the problem. The number one issue with buyers and sellers and the world in general is lack of communication. You can communicate a lot and learn a lot from a phone call. I see a whole lot of people complaining the world is going to shit, yet they are not willing to do their part to correct anything themselves. These machines are worth thousands, they are not a $20 items, it makes sense to over communicate. I don’t care about one off examples of a$$ holes, they will always exist, it doesn’t mean you should stop trusting people…………and trusting people, while being cautious, doesn’t mean you are naive.

Not being negative, being a realist. BIG difference. I understand folks get buyers remorse, even the awesome buyers. Never condoning a lack of communication, most communication is back and forth on condition, pics, then final price. After that they either really want it or are on the fence about it. If I am asked if others are interested I will always be honest.

#41 9 months ago

according to my wife I'm always wrong !

#42 9 months ago

When I've wanted to hold a machine on the buying side, I've asked if I can put down a deposit. The buyer could have offered the same as much as the OP could have suggested it. I can understand the buyer may be frustrated but it comes down to lack of communication.

#43 9 months ago

You very bad man Jerry. You tell Babu to change to Pakistani food and nobody come. You very bad man Jerry!
    Babu, the shrimp is a little stringy.
    You very bad man Jerry!

#44 9 months ago
    Quoted from tidalwdave:

That's so weird. I've bought/sold about a hundred pins and don't recall anyone ever flaking out on me. Knock on wood.

consider yourself lucky, half never show up or just talk.

1 week later
    #45 9 months ago

I learned a tough lesson today as someone looking to buy their first pin.

I went to see a JP Pro and the seller couldn't have been nicer. He sent me a PM after seeing my classified wanted ad telling me he was getting ready to sell his JP to make room for a new game. Then he posted something in the local area thread saying he'd sell it shortly too.

After seeing a pin in a home environment for my first time and playing it, seeing how clean it was, I wanted it bad. The seller told me he had another guy lined up that would buy it (someone he's dealt with before and sold to) and wanted to let him know yesterday if possible, but said I could let him know by today at the latest.

But being an expensive purchase I had to run it by my wife first and she thought it was a bit much so I asked the seller last night if he'd be willing to go a bit lower after already telling me the firm price the other buyer was going to purchase it at if I didn't want it.

Unfortunately my hesitation cost me the machine and he got back to me telling me that he could sense my hesitation/uncertainty and decided to sell it to the other guy and he took a deposit to hold it until Sunday for him. I also told him I had been going back/forth between the the Home and Pro edition, simply for price reasons. But I expected at least a back/forth before that since I didn't say I was definitely not able to grab it at his asking price or anything. I just wish I had gotten some kind of ultimatum because I would have 100% gotten it and just tell my wife I'd sell some of my arcade boards to cover the extra money.

Tough lesson learned but it was my first time every checking out a potential pin to purchase and it's a lot of money to me. But I learned how quick this market can go and am regretting it still. It was a fair asking price too. And I can see how just accepting someone else's money instead of trying to haggle is more intriguing. It's just easier in the end.

Hopefully another one in the same condition shows up around me. And hopefully this helps out some other noob by learning from my mistake.

#46 9 months ago
    Quoted from purbeast:

he got back to me telling me that he could sense my hesitation/uncertainty and decided to sell it to the other guy and he took a deposit to hold it until Sunday for him. I also told him I had been going back/forth between the the Home and Pro edition, simply for price reasons. But I expected at least a back/forth before that since I didn't say I was definitely not able to grab it at his asking price or anything.

A seller is not usually going to wait for a potential buyer who is waffling when he has another buyer already banging at the door trying to throw money at him to buy the game.

Act fast, and be decisive.

Quoted from purbeast:

Tough lesson learned but it was my first time every checking out a potential pin to purchase and it's a lot of money to me.

Only you know what you can afford. If you can't afford a particular game, there are always other games for less. If you are really set on a JP theme game, keep in mind that there are two other previous titles that cost less.

#47 9 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

A seller is not usually going to wait for a potential buyer who is waffling when he has another buyer already banging at the door trying to throw money at him to buy the game.
    Act fast, and be decisive.

Only you know what you can afford. If you can't afford a particular game, there are always other games for less. If you are really set on a JP theme game, keep in mind that there are two other previous titles that cost less.

Oh I know trust me. I learned this lesson yesterday. But I did expect to at least get the time frame I was told to make a decision which unfortunately did not happen.

I also did not realize that this guy was going to purchase it like immediately and I did not realize how much interest he had in the game from his forum post until after he committed to the other guy.

And I can afford it from a financial standpoint. It's still a decent amount of money though to spend so it wasn't just an impulse purchase, and now in hindsight I wish it was. The most I've spent on a "toy" at this point was $1k on 2 arcade racing cabinets. So more than 5x that is just something I needed to think about even though I wanted to do it.

But this experience definitely helped me understand how quickly you have to be if there is something you want in this hobby. And the next one I find that is in the fair market price in good condition, I won't hesitate with. After seeing how clean/nice it looked I do want a newer pin for sure. I like JP a lot from a theme point of view, but I also like the newest game a lot from a fun/play perspective.

#48 9 months ago

I have a few tire kicker stories but will keep it short. The term "cash on the glass" is the best policy. I'm no longer holding games for anyone without a deposit or having bought from me before. Too many people who want a game but not ready to buy a game. I have lost out on a couple sales because people were coming or wanted and needed a couple days to get the money or game. When I'm selling a game I'm selling not lay away like Wal Mart. Come get it and give me cash or move along to the next person who is!

#49 9 months ago
    Quoted from purbeast:

I learned a tough lesson today as someone looking to buy their first pin.
    I went to see a JP Pro and the seller couldn't have been nicer. He sent me a PM after seeing my classified wanted ad telling me he was getting ready to sell his JP to make room for a new game. Then he posted something in the local area thread saying he'd sell it shortly too.
    After seeing a pin in a home environment for my first time and playing it, seeing how clean it was, I wanted it bad. The seller told me he had another guy lined up that would buy it (someone he's dealt with before and sold to) and wanted to let him know yesterday if possible, but said I could let him know by today at the latest.
    But being an expensive purchase I had to run it by my wife first and she thought it was a bit much so I asked the seller last night if he'd be willing to go a bit lower after already telling me the firm price the other buyer was going to purchase it at if I didn't want it.
    Unfortunately my hesitation cost me the machine and he got back to me telling me that he could sense my hesitation/uncertainty and decided to sell it to the other guy and he took a deposit to hold it until Sunday for him. I also told him I had been going back/forth between the the Home and Pro edition, simply for price reasons. But I expected at least a back/forth before that since I didn't say I was definitely not able to grab it at his asking price or anything. I just wish I had gotten some kind of ultimatum because I would have 100% gotten it and just tell my wife I'd sell some of my arcade boards to cover the extra money.
    Tough lesson learned but it was my first time every checking out a potential pin to purchase and it's a lot of money to me. But I learned how quick this market can go and am regretting it still. It was a fair asking price too. And I can see how just accepting someone else's money instead of trying to haggle is more intriguing. It's just easier in the end.
    Hopefully another one in the same condition shows up around me. And hopefully this helps out some other noob by learning from my mistake.

Your wife is always going to think "it's a bit much."

Lesson learned but I could see where this story was going as soon as you included that part.

Sellers don't care about who you are running the price by, or an existential battle you may be having between getting a pro and a premium etc., they just want to sell their game, as quickly and easily as possible. When people start giving me any kind of spiel/explanation like that my eyes glaze over and I start thinking about other buyers I've been speaking with.

Better luck on the next one, there's tons of pins out there!

#50 9 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Your wife is always going to think "it's a bit much."
    Lesson learned but I could see where this story was going as soon as you included that part.
    Sellers don't care about who you are running the price by, or an existential battle you may be having between getting a pro and a premium etc., they just want to sell their game, as quickly and easily as possible. When people start giving me any kind of spiel/explanation like that my eyes glaze over and I start thinking about other buyers I've been speaking with.
    Better luck on the next one, there's tons of pins out there!

Yep, this is something I understood after the fact unfortunately.

And I don't really blame him, other than I just thought I had more time to give him a solid yes/no.

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!