(Topic ID: 217711)

Was does it mean when seller says Survivor Machine

By Leosac

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Survivor One World Jeff Probst Reverse Duh Double Dare (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Occasionally posts will list in the description a pin as a survivor machine. What exactly does that term mean?

#2 5 years ago

Unmolested like a survivor car , everything is mostly kept original except probably some rubbers and light bulbs. It's survived years of service and still has everything left from factory.

#3 5 years ago

It means Rainbow Puke LED’s haven’t been added yet.

#4 5 years ago

Maybe saved from the evil clutches of parted out?

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from ScottinSGFNY:

It means Rainbow Puke LED’s haven’t been added yet.

k

And also make sure you check machine for burnt plastics from hot dirty dingy incadescents. Not that I'm a fan of rainbow puke, just a shout out to cool smds for keeping my plastics looking good.

#6 5 years ago

Its another adjective used to justify a higher asking price. Other favorites are collectible, immaculate, and the most expensive of all -- rare.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Its another adjective used to justify a higher asking price. Other favorites are collectible, immaculate, and the most expensive of all -- rare.

"rare."

What a common term

Ohh, don't forget vintage and antique.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

k
    And also make sure you check machine for burnt plastics from hot dirty dingy incadescents. Not that I'm a fan of rainbow puke, just a shout out to cool smds for keeping my plastics looking good.

They can keep the plastics from warping, as long as they aren't too powerful. The do not make them look good since people use colored ones which make the plastic look like shit.

#9 5 years ago

It means that the game has "The Eye of the Tiger"

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

It means that the game has "The Eye of the Tiger"
    » YouTube video

So....only the EM; not Sinbad though huh?

#11 5 years ago

Unrestored, original in pristine shape.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

"rare."
    What a common term
    Ohh, don't forget vintage and antique.

Hehe. "Vintage antique pinball machine from the 1930's in mint condition, very rare" (insert picture of beat to crap Raven).

#13 5 years ago

Survived a flood and may need cleaning

#14 5 years ago

So, it should be viewed as a positive, higher end description of a machine. Assuming one likes the original look and feel.

Thanks for the clarification.

#15 5 years ago

Never heard this phrase, glad you asked. IMHO, terminology is so vague.

I dislike "player". To me a "player" is a beater that plays fine. Other people say a "player" is a nice game that just isn't HEP restored. Ugh.

I would have through a "survivor" was something that went through a flood (like acebathound)

... Altan

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from altan:

I would have through a "survivor" was something that went through a flood.

I thought the same thing as well. A pin that was lucky enough to survive a flood/fire.

#17 5 years ago

It was owned by Jeff Probst

#18 5 years ago

The pop bumpers have spoken
    Survivor One World Jeff Probst Reverse Duh Double Dare (resized).jpgSurvivor One World Jeff Probst Reverse Duh Double Dare (resized).jpg

#19 5 years ago

I honestly feel that ANY of the terms thrown around are complete bull$#!/. They are just junk words. Since EVERY person has their OWN view on what they mean, it really doesn't describe anything. I've CERTAINLY seen interpretation both ways....I've seen people think stuff was junk because it wasn't super perfect, and I've seen machines with no paint on playfield or backglass yet listed as like 7.5/10 or higher! See, again ... not just words....even numbers are interpreted.

Last "player's condition" machine I purchased seemed as such as it appeared working ok..... till I got it home and dug into it more. Was loaded with hacks, rust/corrosion, broken/missing/inncorect parts, targets that didnt work, damaged scoops, broken brakets, etc. I mean, pretty crappy sell in my opinion. But, it wasn't a high preasure sale on me and my fault for allowing words to be good enough instead of going over it more in person myself.

Point is....

Regardless of what someone else calls it, inspect it for yourself. Then call it whatever YOU want.

From 'couple turns of the screwdriver' to 'that things cherry!'

#20 5 years ago

Added note direct to OP question....my interpretation of survivor would be as mentioned like a survivor car. Pretty original over all and still going. But, there again....is that 'still turns on, decent shape overall, but may need some overall TLC' or does that mean 'the thing is like perfect 100 percent'?

Looked at an a original classic car a couple years ago that was all original and listed as a survivor except tires brakes etc... had no exhaust, all rubber seals bad, and a number of other things. But...it had decent paint. Mint looking interior, original engine and trans, and I jumped in and drove around in it for a few minutes fine.

Survivor?? I think so. Mint perfect working....no.

Sorry for car analogy. I try hard not to do that on here.

#21 5 years ago

Term doesn't really mean anything, like most seller terms.

I take it to mean "player's machine," which of course is also open to interpretation.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Other favorites are collectible, immaculate, and the most expensive of all -- rare.

True indeed; however, let's not forget about imamaculate - a special label for pins that have been played 600 times or fewer in the last 12 years.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

True indeed; however, let's not forget about imamaculate - a special label for pins that have been played 600 times or fewer in the last 12 years.

My favorite is "seems to be working" or "seems to be working 100%."

#24 5 years ago

'Worked fine last time we used it'

"Ohh cool, was that recent?"

'well we are selling it for my uncle's friend who stored it in shed since 1984'

'but it's all original'

#25 5 years ago

Survivor means used, may have issues, inspect carefully.

Same thing as huo, noob, demo, players, and every other term you can think of to describe a used game.

#26 5 years ago

I picked up this here pin up off of a guy named Hank, he said it was on location at this bar in New Orleans and had a little water issue when some bad weather hit. Sure looked clean.

He told me it was a survivor!

#27 5 years ago

Survivor is a word that is used with: Shipwreck, Trainwreck, Plain Crash, Pile Up, Earthquake, Tornado, Flood, Hurricane, ect... Insert conjecture here!
    I really don't want to hear the word survivor used to describe a game!

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Survivor is a word that is used with: Shipwreck, Trainwreck, Plain Crash, Pile Up, Earthquake, Tornado, Flood, Hurricane, ect... Insert conjecture here!
    I really don't want to hear the word survivor used to describe a game!

Unless like what chad said above...better to hear survivor vs parted out....sometimes

#29 5 years ago

To me survivor means an unmolested game in nice original condition. That's what I hope it to mean anyway. Of course as mentioned it's just a word and they are open to interpretation. Everyone seems to hate all the common buzz words, but most sellers want to give a game some type of defined representation. Or you end up with those non-descript ads that say just say "pinball machine". And no one likes that either.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

To me survivor means an unmolested game in nice original condition. That's what I hope it to mean anyway. Of course as mentioned it's just a word and they are open to interpretation. Everyone seems to hate all the common buzz words, but most sellers want to give a game some type of defined representation. Or you end up with those non-descript ads that say just say "pinball machine". And no one likes that either.

Cant argue that

But, I also know that you are one of the good guys who prefers to under rate rather than over rate a machine (I mean that as a good thing....as in always very honest on condition/probs).

HONESTLY, I don't think too many people that arent pinball people intend to misrepresent at all when saying was working etc....they just don't know... but can be dissapointing.

#31 5 years ago

It's been through the war and survived.

LTG : )

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

It's been through the war and survived.
    LTG : )

Ohhhh....Y2K

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Other favorites are collectible, immaculate, and the most expensive of all -- rare.

Nope, the most expensive word now is immamculate

#34 5 years ago

It's a meaningless phrase. I pretty much always ignore everything when it comes to how someone describes the condition of a game.

I've had cases where someone has said "it's in really nice shape", but the playfield is completely blown out.

The average person hasn't really owned enough pins to really be able to describe a game's condition very well. Some collectors can have higher or lower standards when it comes to condition, and they don't line up with what you think about the condition of a game. And then there's also people who try to fluff up a game to sound better than it actually is.

Photos can also be misleading too. Sometimes they are framed or angled in such a way to hid certain things, or it's just blurry or dark enough to hide other issues.

Photos help give a general sense of what a game looks like, but it's always best to see it in person. But even then, you can sometimes miss stuff that isn't immediately obvious.

#35 5 years ago

Survived a hurricane. Stay clear

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinaholic:

Survived a hurricane. Stay clear

I like this one!

#37 5 years ago

He must be a car guy. That term is never really used that often for pinball.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

HONESTLY, I don't think too many people that arent pinball people intend to misrepresent at all when saying was working etc....they just don't know... but can be dissapointing.

Speaking of....

chicago.craigslist.org link

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Speaking of....
    chicago.craigslist.org link

I wonder if the wood under all the paint is pine

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/was-does-it-mean-when-seller-says-survivor-machine?hl=collint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.