(Topic ID: 132839)

Warriors pin idea (1979 film). Can you dig it?

By JoelOmatik

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Perspex
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

the_warriors.png
    IMG_7185.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    image.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

I know it won't happen, but I would love a pin based on the '79 cult classic "The Warriors". There was a highly-acclaimed PS2 game based on this awhile back that expanded upon the storyline. The pin would definitely have to include scenes from this too. It's still a popular film, even among the younger crowd.

To start, the backglass should be something like this:

image.jpg

The game would require John Borg and Steve Ritchie-esque kinetics, since the movie was fast paced. The object is to reach your final destination (and wizard mode) Coney Island. You must battle the various gangs and find shortcuts to stay alive. It would play like cross between IM, MET, X-Men, T2, HS2 and No Fear.

-Toys include a subway ramp (subway is above ramp like the skull dragon ramps of Scared Stiff) and the subway may move or just be decoration.

-Ramps and targets indicate streets, tunnels, alleyways and hideouts found in the movie.
    (eg: tunnel shot in HS2 and database shot in T2 could be the hideouts and subway passage.)

-Molotov Cocktail catapult launcher into smashable car toy.

-Borg-esque magnets to simulate gang fights and hand-to-hand combat.

-Center of playfield would have 2 possible design choices: A large "W" tagged like a graffiti Warriors tag with lights around it showing a different insert for each gang you need to conquer. It would feature the Boppers, High Hats, Gramercy Riffs, Orphans, Turnbull ACs, and Baseball Furies just to start.

Or:

-A subway map showing each destination with the gangs surrounding it. (Also, the map can be suspended in the back panel of the playfield and the "W" can still be in the playfield's center).

SOUND/MUSIC

-Insert 1 coin: you hear Cyrus saying "Can you dig it?"

-Insert 2nd coin: You hear Cyrus repeat the phrase with more charisma: "Caaaaaaan youuuu diiiiig iiiiit??" followed by the ferocious
    cheering of the gangs in the audience. Just for reference:

-Pressing start shows clips of Cyrus being shot and all hell breaking loose. Luther screams and points "It was the Warriors!" as you begin your mission to evade the blame and crack some gang's skulls.

-Classic soundbites from film are found here including the classic "I'll stick that bat up your ass and turn you into a popsicle." (Used when battling Baseball Furies) They are used for certain shots and game modes, not just thrown out for the hell of it.

-Main gameplay music (including pre-launch before 00:41)

-Before you start multiball, you hear this tune found in the trailer (which also has the Cyrus soundbites on it).

-Attract mode: Classic bottles clinking and Luther uttering the classic "come out and play-ay!" This would also play before starting Coney Island wizard mode.

-During game play, you hear the awesome Barry de Vorzon synth-laden tracks you heard in the film.

-After game over, you hear Joe Walsh's "In the City"

-"Knock on Wood" and "I love livin' in the city" would play when battling the Boppers and Turnbull ACs bosses. They were used in the PS2 game it fit the game very well.

-Other tunes from the film: "Nowhere to Run", "Last of an Ancient Breed"

-Since the DJ (Lynn Thigpen) from the film died, there would have to be a stand in to capture her sultry voice. Call outs would be insanely good.

CABINET ART

-Side cabinet art is the tagged Warriors logo in red letters on an urbanesque brick/rusty background.

-Speaker panels have red tagged "W" on each speaker and tagged artwork on the rest of the panel.

-Backbox shows a different Warrior/gang member on each side. This can be customized, or be something like:

image.jpg

I'm sure I'm in the minority but some of you guys must agree with me....Can you dig it? Or can you not?

#2 3 years ago

Can...you...dig...iTTTTT?
    Love it.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#3 3 years ago

I would play that game. The market for it would be tiny.

Ken

#5 3 years ago

I love the warriors. I about shit when you metioned the fear song in there! Great work my friend. I'd love to bop my way back to Coney Island.

#6 3 years ago

The ad libbed line, "Come out and play-yay"... classic.
    --

#7 3 years ago

Epic idea for a pin! My buddies and I always loved The Warriors. I own it on DVD and wouldn't blink an eye at owning the pin! Great thread topic...if only...

#8 3 years ago

incredible. just seeing the topic i had an idea for everything i would want in this pin and you pretty much nailed it. sign me up!

#9 3 years ago

I'm diggin it.

#10 3 years ago

I know its not in the movie.....but I Love Livin in the City is one of the greatest tracks ever recorded.

#11 3 years ago

I'd be all over it...still get goose bumps at the end when their walking away and the joe Walsh songs playin...I havevideo game for the ps2.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

I'd be all over it...still get goose bumps at the end when their walking away and the joe Walsh songs playin...I havevideo game for the ps2.

Isn't it awesome? Rockstar did an excellent job of expanding upon the movie storyline.

Quoted from Gryszzz:

I know its not in the movie.....but I Love Livin in the City is one of the greatest tracks ever recorded.

Yes, it's a killer track! I can't believe I never heard it until I played the PS2 game. It's when you fight against the boss of the Turnbull ACs.

I also wanted to give some love for Knock On Wood by Amii Stewart, also on the PS2 game. It's heard during the Boppers' boss fight.

#14 3 years ago

The Turnbull AC'S often go overlooked but are hands down the toughest gang in that film. The only reason the Warriors survive them is because they run.

#15 3 years ago

Loooooooooooove this idea. Fantastic film, killer PS2 era game too. Man... this would be fantastic. I had a Furies jersey, but my wife threw it in the dryer and it melted the design. Never to be worn again.... *sniff* just took it out of the closet tonight.

#16 3 years ago

As soon as I saw that title,I thought of come out and play
    Flashbacks man,lol

#17 3 years ago

I can indeed dig it. In fact, I bought a beat up BTTF to retheme into this. Delorean just happens to have the same number of characters as Warriors, so it seemed like a natural. (You light Delorean on at the back of the playfield for a millions mode for those who don't know.) This theme has so much potential, as you point out. The modes are already laid out for you by the story line.

Now that the game is playing, I'm less enthused about chopping it up for a retheme, besides the fact that I have too many projects, pinball and otherwise, to seriously work at it. I'm pretty sure it's a sin to hack up a working game (even a beat down one) only to never finish the project. So for now, it's me and Marty, but I can dream.

While it would make a pretty great attract, I do think "come out to play" is sufficiently iconic to be somewhat of a reward for reaching the wizard mode instead. I mean, it's kinda slutty to just give up the good stuff without some effort.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from pepermintswirl:

The Turnbull AC'S often go overlooked but are hands down the toughest gang in that film. The only reason the Warriors survive them is because they run.

They were the best "armed" gang, but not sure about the toughest. The Warriors, at least 4 of them, proved that they could defeat gang members wielding bats. So I think they would have been able to handle the Turnbull AC's, but I have to admit I am a 'homer' when it comes to The Warriors.

Count me in if a Warriors pin gets made.

Marcus

#19 3 years ago

This would fit perfect when entering high score initials.

"Last Of An Ancient Breed" by Desmond Child:

Also, I previously mentioned displaying a NYC subway map on the back panel. LEDs would represent stations. They'd light solid to show stations you completed, or flashing to show current missions. It would obviously have to be enlarged, edited and simplified to avoid squinting your eyes. Opinions?

image.jpg

#20 3 years ago

You're on the right track Joel! I'm lovin' this thread.
    --

#21 3 years ago

Spooky, here is game #4 right after you finish either bible adventures or weird al.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from JoelOmatik:

...I previously mentioned displaying a NYC subway map on the back panel.

I really like the idea of using leds on the map to represent completed battles. In the conceptualization sessions (aka pipe-dreams) I had with the wife, the subway map appears on the playfield just because it's more or less the right shape overall to sit down between the flippers with Coney at the drain. Since the right side is sparse, we thought there could be a chance for other art to balance things a bit- not sure what though.

#23 3 years ago

Joel ,your a genious!

#24 3 years ago

Dream theme!!! That game would be so awesome!!

#25 3 years ago

I CAN DIG IT!!! COME OUT TO PLAAYYYAAYYY!!

maxresdefault.jpg

#26 3 years ago

Hell Yes! Bring it. This was the first R rated movie I ever saw at a theater. Duped my unsuspecting grandparents into taking me when I was 9 years old.

#27 3 years ago

I've never seen it, its on Netflix right now. I guess I'll have to watch it tonight and get back to you.

#28 3 years ago

Coaster from my game room. I'm in.

IMG_7185.JPG

#29 3 years ago

Thumbs up!!! A gotta watch movie and great idea.

#30 3 years ago

One of the best movies of all time. I would be so in for this, but i'm thinking this would be a good stop and go type of pin like Nordman or Trudeau with a non-traditional playfield resembling a cityscape w/ elevated subways and buildings.

Imagine what John could do with a good theme and artist.

I feel speed games lose out on building suspense and you need a place to park a ball for a few seconds to draw you in to the game play.

-c

#31 3 years ago

Just re-watched this on Netflix last week... good movie. Nice idea for a pin!

#32 3 years ago

I wouldn't call it one of the best movies of all time but have to admit it would make a pretty cool pin. Battling different street gangs through the subways and dark alleyways would be easy to make into modes. It would be cool if you could choose how you play those modes - whether to run or fight. Maybe a bash toy to fight and ramp shots to escape. You could even bring back video modes for fighting where left/right flippers punch and center button blocks. If you make it like an old school, street fighter type of game, I think a lot of people would be interested.

#33 3 years ago

They made an awesome Warriors XBox game about 10 years back which was quite successful and followed the storyline of the movie quite accurately! I would love to see a Warriors pin!

http://www.ign.com/games/the-warriors/xbox-733803

#34 3 years ago

This is one of my favorite movies it would be a blast as a pin

#35 3 years ago

This was the only movie I've ever gotten frisked going into... a 1982/83 midnight re-showing @ The Portage in Chicago.

#36 3 years ago

That would be awesome.. the xbox/ps2/psp game they released is in my top 10 games of all time. The theme and style of the movie and art would be pretty awesome for a pinball machine. As it stands though cult movies don't seem to make it to pinball, except TBL.

#38 3 years ago

obligatory movie pic

the_warriors.png

#39 3 years ago

Watching now as promised. Soundtrack would be awesome. I believe it would be best in alphanumeric

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

obligatory movie pic

the_warriors.png

A few Gottlieb wedgeheads.
    The one facing is a 2001. I don't recognize the side art on the other one, or the one way in the back.
    Clearly a fortune teller and a gun game.
    --

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Clearly a fortune teller and a gun game.

The life-sized gunslinger appears to be a second game, any ideas how that works?

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

or the one way in the back.

Aquarius.

LTG : )™

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I don't recognize the side art on the other one.

Top Card

#44 3 years ago

Your eyes are a lot better than mine.

#45 3 years ago

Would be an awesome pin if done right, I like a lot of the the ideas mentioned. Alas, the only way it will happen is if they remade the movie, and then it just wouldn't be the same.

I still have a beta copy of the movie somewhere in the basement,

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

The life-sized gunslinger appears to be a second game, any ideas how that works?

http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/rockgul.htm

#47 3 years ago

THe gunslinger looks even more menacing in the "dad" jeans

1 month later
    #48 3 years ago

Resurrecting this thread before it collects too much dust. Check out these badass gang intros from the PS2 game. It would make for great animations for starting modes/fights!

#49 3 years ago

Fantastic Idea!

The Turnball AC's with a bus mod!

RIFFS! - YEAH RIGHT!!

#50 3 years ago

Love it. Great job op! Something about this movie that just makes you waych the rest no matter what point in the movie you catch it on the tube.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 64.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.75
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 5,800.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 229.99
    $ 6,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 20.90
    Apparel - Unisex
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Republic Of Pinball
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside