Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RyQk7.gif
wozlamp.jpg
fluorescent-light-fixture.jpg
01parts.jpg
Edward_Scissorhands_by_deathwish85.jpg
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 10 years ago

I must be new. I thought this was common practice. Will they cover some things sure. This gives them room for discretion.

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

The reality is, anything you guys buy such as pins, cars, computers, laptops, phones just about anything that you buy and mod voids the warranty. Stop adding crap to machines and you have nothing to worry about.

So JJP changed there mind? Jack stated earlier that WOZ would be the most modded pin ever!

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from bmunn1:

So JJP changed there mind? Jack stated earlier that WOZ would be the most modded pin ever!

What do you mean by "changed their mind"? I am sure they have said all the long that they are not going to pay for anyone damaging a machine. The title of this thread should be changed to "WARNING!!! Warranty May Be Voided By Adding Mods to ANYTHING!!"

A product is designed and built and any warranties are on the product as it is from the factory, period. If you change anything/add anything however small the responsibility is yours. In general, people nowadays don't want to take responsibility for anything and adults that try pawn off responsibility on others for their mistakes has set bad examples for the next generation. My kids try this crap and I call them out on it many times. You dropped your phone in the toilet, sorry no warranty. You open it, it's on you brother.

#104 10 years ago

People are definitely misunderstanding this. If you modify a game and the game stops working due to those mods, the manufacturer isn't responsible for fixing those problems. However, if you modify a game and something completely unrelated breaks on it, the manufacturer will honor that warranty. None if us that have modded woz or any stern have had problems in area of warranty service.

Now if you call up tech support and go off on some big tirade about how you modded this and that a now the game is broken, good luck. Pinballs aren't like tv or game consoles with a warranty void sticker as soon as you open the case. Pinballs are user serviceable machines. They come with a manual to fix problems and they sell parts to the general public. You are expected to do some work on your machine in order to keep it running. Hell, one of JJP advertised features was how easy it is to lift the play field and work on the game.

Technically, waxing your machine is a mod. You modified the play field surface by adding wax. I mean use some common sense here guys and try not to freak out over ever little thing

Even Jack stated that the pinball bulbs addon kit, probably the most aggressive mod to date, does not void the games warranty.

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

What do you mean by "changed their mind"? I am sure they have said all the long that they are not going to pay for anyone damaging a machine. The title of this thread should be changed to "WARNING!!! Warranty May Be Voided By Adding Mods to ANYTHING!!"
A product is designed and built and any warranties are on the product as it is from the factory, period. If you change anything/add anything however small the responsibility is yours. In general, people nowadays don't want to take responsibility for anything and adults that try pawn off responsibility on others for their mistakes has set bad examples for the next generation. My kids try this crap and I call them out on it many times. You dropped your phone in the toilet, sorry no warranty. You open it, it's on you brother.

My point is they understand their customer base and would be shock if the warranty is voided given the very public statement by Jack. That's not to say that if you short circuit something in the process it's covered. But I doubt the entire warranty is void by installing a mod. Maybe Jack should clarify for the grumpy old neighbors and precocious kids.

#106 10 years ago

Let me clear the air. In 1975, the federal government passed The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. JJP cannot void your entire warranty because your pin has been modified. However, if you're pin develops an issue they have to prove that the failure was the direct result of your alteration. And then they are not required to fix your pin.

Under federal law, the manufacturer must cover the warranty unless they can prove that the failure was caused by your mod. They know there are awful lot of weekend warriors modding pins, and it only takes a small zap of static to an IC or a briefly touched wire to screw up computer electronics big time...and it can be nearly impossible to prove (especially if your mod gets removed before you try to claim) If you fight it, they are going to probably pay your warranty because it's cheaper than court costs...but they keep fingers crossed that some folks will take heed to the warning statement and not muck with the electrical system. You can go right now and rub your feed on the carpet to generate static, open your game and touch a sensitive IC and kill it, and there is virtually no way to prove that you did that. They would still be obligated to honor that warranty unless they can find a way to prove that you zapped it.

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Let me clear the air. In 1975, the federal government passed The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. JJP cannot void your entire warranty because your pin has been modified. However, if you're pin develops an issue they have to prove that the failure was the direct result of your alteration. And then they are not required to fix your pin.

Very interesting.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

If I were JJP and in a situation in which I wanted to argue that the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act does not apply, it seems that the easiest course of action would be to demonstrate that pinball machines are not consumer products.

At least per Wikipedia, here's how the M-MWA defines "consumer product" (and note this act applies only to consumer products):

A "consumer product" is generally any tangible personal property for sale and that is normally used for personal, family, or household purposes. It is important to note that the determination whether a good is a consumer product requires a factual finding, on a case-by-case basis.

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Very interesting.
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.
If I were JJP and in a situation in which I wanted to argue that the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act does not apply, it seems that the easiest course of action would be to demonstrate that pinball machines are not consumer products.
At least per Wikipedia, here's how the M-MWA defines "consumer product" (and note this act applies only to consumer products):
A "consumer product" is generally any tangible personal property for sale and that is normally used for personal, family, or household purposes. It is important to note that the determination whether a good is a consumer product requires a factual finding, on a case-by-case basis.

Disclaimer: I am also not a lawyer.

From JJPs website:

"The company known as Jersey Jack Pinball, Inc. had licensed the iconic film, The Wizard of Oz, from Warner Bros. Consumer Products to be their first game."

How would the law view a commercial device sold to the end user as a consumer product, used in home game rooms for entertainment?

If you bought a television and modded it and hung it on the wall at a bowling alley and it failed because of your modification, what is the difference in coverage obligation by the manufacturer?

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

The Magnuson–Moss Act contains many definitions:
A "consumer" is a buyer of consumer goods for personal use. A buyer of consumer products for resale is not a consumer.

Totally get what you're saying, but the definition of consumer would not be met here if a court decides that a pinball machine with a coin door, audits, etc. is not a consumer good.

Let's imagine we're talking about a Commercial Washing Machine Collector Club of America. It's a group of people who buy commercial washing machines for their personal use. (Stranger groups exist, but of course I doubt this one does in real life.) Buying for personal use is essentially half of what needs to be proven here; the other is that what's being purchased is *normally* used in a household.

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

From JJPs website:
"The company known as Jersey Jack Pinball, Inc. had licensed the iconic film, The Wizard of Oz, from Warner Bros. Consumer Products to be their first game."
How would the law view a commercial device sold to the end user as a consumer product, used in home game rooms for entertainment?
If you bought a television and modded it and hung it on the wall at a bowling alley and it failed because of your modification, what is the difference in coverage obligation by the manufacturer?

Hey, I was an oucast of that club. I once owned and used a coin op dryer in my laundry room. $75.00. It was built like a tank. When I got married the mrs. wanted a matched set and a coin op washer was not an option.

#111 10 years ago

A buddy was a Ford regional service rep. schlepping to a bunch of dealers with "policy" claims. When he would deny a claim due to obvious abuse, mods (not used as intended, etc.) the customer always threatened to Sue Ford. His reply; "We have a room full of Lawyers in Dearborn waiting for your call".....

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Hey, I was an oucast of that club. I once owned and used a coin op dryer in my laundry room. $75.00. It was built like a tank.

That's funny.

I used to have a front load coin op washer, before front loads were the norm....you could fit anything in there.

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's funny.
I used to have a front load coin op washer, before front loads were the norm....you could fit anything in there.

Speed Queen made a lot of commercial laundromat equipment and it was built like a tank. I just replaced a washer and drier with new top load Speed Queen models and they are built the same with steel gears in the transmission.

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Speed Queen made a lot of commercial laundromat equipment and it was built like a tank. I just replaced a washer and drier with new top load Speed Queen models and they are built the same with steel gears in the transmission.

Yeah, mine was a Speed Queen.

Although I always though they should have got a Tina Turner endorsement and done an Acid Queen.

#115 10 years ago

JJP be like...
RyQk7.gifRyQk7.gif

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 16.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
$ 91.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 24.50
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warning-warranty-may-be-voided-by-adding-mods-to-woz%e2%80%8f/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.