(Topic ID: 246446)

Warning to eBay sellers

By toddsvec

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tregurd.gif
    assholes (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    tom848tom (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 4 years ago

I'm on there twice!

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm on there twice!

Wait a minute? So you had more then one EBay account! No wonder why I blocked you. LOL

#103 4 years ago

Well color me surprised. I contacted eBay and complained that the feedback was not about my product, service or shipping time, and that I had met all their criteria. They even looked at my messages and resulted in:

Upon review, we were able to remove the feedback because we had enough info to contradict the particular comment. You'll see it has updated on your dashboard. Happy 4th! ~Lori

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

Well color me surprised. I contacted eBay and complained that the feedback was not about my product, service or shipping time, and that I had met all their criteria. They even looked at my messages and resulted in:
    Upon review, we were able to remove the feedback because we had enough info to contradict the particular comment. You'll see it has updated on your dashboard. Happy 4th! ~Lori

WOW that surprises me .... eBay typical response is ... "work it out with the buyer"! Good to see you got it removed. Even though I wasn't in agreement with the way you handled it I don't agree you should get negative feedback for words! You sold and delivered the product. Worse case scenario the buyer could've left positive feedback and noted seller was harsh with his reply or something to that extent!

#105 4 years ago

Although I don't think there's a lot of difference to it, I was only trying to tell the buyer I ship every day as my listings and rating show. I probably got too many that week, like I said they get old. In response to "Please ship ASAP", saying

"Will go in the morning mail. And FYI, it's posted I ship in 1 business day. And I ship every day, Sundays and holidays like today."

instead of adding "No need to attach a note to say ship ASAP, it's actually a little aggravating." is what I should have done. However I'm glad eBay didn't see I deserved it.

But I will stand my ground that people that email "please ship ASAP", "Please pack carefully", "send me the tracking number", "I need this right away", are the problem ones.

#106 4 years ago

You’re in a customer service situation. What if you went to a restaurant and the hostess called you aggravating to your face? Would you be tempted to write a bad review?

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

You’re in a customer service situation. What if you went to a restaurant and the hostess called you aggravating to your face? Would you be tempted to write a bad review?

If I were to walk in to a restaurant and it said 30 minute wait and I asked to be seated ASAP, and I was told that the sign said 30 minutes and I was told it was aggravating when people don't read, I would think she has that right to say so and no, I would not give the restaurant a negative review. If in your scenario I actually was seated in 30, and the food was good, and the price was right. No. I would not. Me ignoring the sign and asking for special treatment is my mistake.

Many see it my way and many don't.

#108 4 years ago

you definitely shouldn't have told a paying customer that he's annoying. no matter how sick of the same questions you've become. everyone experiences the same level of frustrating things in our jobs, and the best ones still take the high road.. every. single. time. you can spin it anyway you want, but unless you admit you messed up and that you shouldn't ever do that again, you don't deserve to have that review removed. let alone, getting us to block him.

#109 4 years ago

Sometimes when I order something, (especially if the person doesn’t normally sell this product) I will ask for careful packaging. After ordering MISB NES/Sega games that came in just a mailer with no protection getting banged up ruining the package, I figure why not send a polite message. When I sell, I don’t mind any instances of them asking for speedy shipping etc. Just a part of the customer service experience, and I just let it roll off of me. Honestly, if I got aggravated by the day to day thing I experience just in my job at the prison, I’d be dead.

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

But I will stand my ground that people that email "please ship ASAP", "Please pack carefully", "send me the tracking number", "I need this right away", are the problem ones.

Go take a vacation man, zone out to the motion of the ocean while rubbin some lotion...

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

My blocked bidder list is comically long

I'm at about 70 people blocked over the last 18 years although some have had their accounts closed.

#112 4 years ago

I just wonder if there's a forum where TomX2 is hanging out, posting a thread and telling people never to buy pin parts from a BigDaddy seller.

#113 4 years ago

Of course it’s annoying to have a customer say “ship ASAP”

But he’s a customer. You need to bite your tongue and not snark back. It’s bad for business. You’ve now lost one customer.

Just my 2 cents.

#114 4 years ago

You just need to walk that fine line and call him an asshole with a smile on your face. Something like;
    " well sir, lucky for you I ship in 1 day exactly like my ebay listing says, have a nice day."

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

You can be “right” all day long and at the same time screw your feedback and top seller rating. You have to have a level temperament and basically smile and add them to the block list if you don’t like the interaction. I’ve bought several rottendog boards from you via your website. Unless ebay is really boosting your sales maybe it’s not for you?

#116 4 years ago

I think now would be the appropriate time to change the title of this thread that is asking Pinsiders to block tom848tom...he honestly did nothing wrong and there is no reason for others to block him. You overreacted to a most likely innocent comment by insulting him...that is where this all started and where you made your mistake. Sometimes it’s best to look at the “other side” of a situation and when you do I hope you realize your action alone caused this. He had every right to leave the feedback he did after what you said to him...in my opinion you deserved it. And then to come to Pinside to ask us to block an eBay buyer when you were actually in the wrong was out of line and absurd. By your own actions you lost at least one customer...the one negative feedback comment you did have would most likely not have cost you a single customer and you acted as if it was going to significantly affect your business. Finally, as I read through all of your comments in this thread, you seemed to keep digging a bigger hole for yourself instead of just admitting that you overreacted and chalking this whole experience up to a lesson learned.

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

you definitely shouldn't have told a paying customer that he's annoying. no matter how sick of the same questions you've become. everyone experiences the same level of frustrating things in our jobs, and the best ones still take the high road.. every. single. time. you can spin it anyway you want, but unless you admit you messed up and that you shouldn't ever do that again, you don't deserve to have that review removed. let alone, getting us to block him.

I didn't tell him he was annoying, I stated off the cuff and I shouldn't have, that he didn't need to remind me to ship quickly, and that I find it aggravating. I shouldn't have, learned my lesson, but he also should have taken it with a grain of salt. I messed up in that I spoke up, no one wants anyone to speak their mind. Will I do it again, no. I've said that. Not on eBay anyway.

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

You just need to walk that fine line and call him an asshole with a smile on your face. Something like;
    " well sir, lucky for you I ship in 1 day exactly like my ebay listing says, have a nice day."

Some people will be offended by that. I like it myself.

#119 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

You can be “right” all day long and at the same time screw your feedback and top seller rating. You have to have a level temperament and basically smile and add them to the block list if you don’t like the interaction. I’ve bought several rottendog boards from you via your website. Unless ebay is really boosting your sales maybe it’s not for you?

Like I said, I won't do it again, I'm just glad that eBay relatively quickly saw the feedback was uncalled for. I won't poke the bear again. eBay does account for about half my volume, so I can't sneeze it away.

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from RacingPin:

I had an issue a little ways back where the buyer made a purchase and then made a pile of demands(sturdy box, extra bubble wrap, ship ASAP, send tracking, item cleaned, triple tested .. etc). All this I do anyway. I looked at feedback he left for others and he was leaving neg feedback for one day late .. etc. I feared any little imperfection and I would be his next neg. I canceled his order, gave refund and promptly blocked him .. potential problem solved.
    So your neg that you got my comeback to bite him in more ways than one.
    Mike V

That buyer could still have left you a negative feedback, even though you canceled the transaction.

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

She wouldn't get much of a tip.

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from wrb1977:

I think now would be the appropriate time to change the title of this thread that is asking Pinsiders to block tom848tom...he honestly did nothing wrong and there is no reason for others to block him. You overreacted to a most likely innocent comment by insulting him...that is where this all started and where you made your mistake. Sometimes it’s best to look at the “other side” of a situation and when you do I hope you realize your action alone caused this. He had every right to leave the feedback he did after what you said to him...in my opinion you deserved it. And then to come to Pinside to ask us to block an eBay buyer when you were actually in the wrong was out of line and absurd. By your own actions you lost at least one customer...the one negative feedback comment you did have would most likely not have cost you a single customer and you acted as if it was going to significantly affect your business. Finally, as I read through all of your comments in this thread, you seemed to keep digging a bigger hole for yourself instead of just admitting that you overreacted and chalking this whole experience up to a lesson learned.

Well I disagree with most of what you say, but my rebuttal will fall on deaf ears and we'll just have to disagree. As I've said a half dozen times now, I've learned to bite my tongue, and I will. I will say one thing, I never "acted like this would significantly affect my business", I'm better off without a customer like this that is so easily offended he has to try and tarnish someones record (again sorry), disregarding the product itself and quick shipping. If it was so offensive, he should have replied to cancel his order and buy elsewhere. Instead he chose to eat the steak. Then complain.

#123 4 years ago

I used to be in charge of shipping for a warehouse. The asswipes that wrote "please rush" on orders went to the bottom of the pile. Your order is no more important than anyone else's, pal.

One guy called to complain. I said you order twice a year, small orders, and you want priority over other? GFY.

Of course this was ages ago before the internet and everyone gets to bitch.

#125 4 years ago

toddsvec why have you not changed the thread title yet?

#126 4 years ago
    Quoted from wrb1977:

toddsvec why have you not changed the thread title yet?

He’s not changing the title. He’s already stated that he disagrees with your opinion.

#127 4 years ago

I deal with the public all day everyday. One thing I've learned is you remember the really nice people, you remember the real assholes but everyone else just blends together.

#128 4 years ago

Odd that mods aren’t changing title. Let the by-name unfounded mudslinging begin!

#129 4 years ago

Can we shut this thread down? We're going in circles now....

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Can we shut this thread down? We're going in circles now....

Noooooooo. He needs to slander someone publicly by username that can't respond, defend themselves or elaborate what their intention was until we all agree, eBay pats him on the head some more, and then we all find Poor Tom, cue Zeppelin, and burn him alive at Wicker....I mean Burning Man!

The only thing worse than seemingly aggravating someone by asking to ship asap, is going to this length to burn your point, wounded ego into the ground, all the while shaking your head defiantly until everyone not only sees your point, but agrees with it.

Can we find Tom, Phil Donahue, and a mic please?

#131 4 years ago

@toddsvec

I have a very legit question here. Would you have had the same opinion if it had been a $216 order and not just a $16 order? I had been a long time customer of Big Daddy in the past, however, life changes and I just do not have the time for fixing/rehabbing pins like I used to. But, I have set some time aside and have 2 projects I am going to do this fall. I will be ordering again in the future. You must realize, as a business owner, you are not perfect either. You had "misplaced" one of my orders a few years back and it took almost 3 weeks for me to get. I contacted you, you were very humble about it and got it out the next day. That mix up never changed my high opinion of your business.

I too am a business owner. I am in a highly criticized business, auto repair. I can 100% sympathize with your feeling of having your reputation "scarred" with a negative review. In over 3 years of business, I have only had 2 bad reviews on the internet review sites. Yelp, Google, Facebook. 1 review is a 100% complete and total fake and the other was from a gentleman that would not be satisfied if I paid him for me to repair his vehicle. I deal with on a daily basis the customer who walks through my door, no appointment, no phone call, throws his/her keys on the counter, and wants an oil change right now. The second I say OK , the customer adds a laundry list of check this, check that, fix this and expects it done in 30 minutes or less. It irks me to living hell. BUT, I bite my tongue, smile, explain that these things will require more time than 30 minutes and have more costs involved. It's repetative, it irritates me, but the bottom line it's a paying customer and I put on my game face to explain how things work and they will either agree or say nevermind. What I do is give them perfect service, but at the same time DO NOT give them a reason to walk out with that perfect service and say/think "what an asshole".

This where I circle back to my original question of $216 or $16. That customer of mine spending $20 bucks now for an oil change with a list of demands will go home with an estimate of needed and/or recommended services in order of importance, or just a reminder of services needed in the future. This is a low pressure way of making sales based on the vehicle's needs. That $20 customer may be back in 2 days, 2 months, 6 months, or even a year to spend $750 on the tires and brakes I recommended. I guess it's the old saying of never judge a book by it's cover. A customer's perception of their experience is their personal reality, no matter if thousands of others say otherwise. When someone makes an order with you, it's their order without conern for everyone elses order. It's just like my customer. They don't care if my lot is full and I am backed up for a couple of days, they want it now. So, I put on my game face. Sorry, your message to that $16 customer was a mistake on your part and you gave him a reason to give you a bad review. You will never get to know if he would have been a $216 order customer.

It's got to be a great feeling that you have such a great reputation that eBay removed that review. I think you should have the same consideration that eBay had for you and remove that customer's eBay ID from your post. On this one I believe Curly Howard said it best "I am a victim of circumstance".

#132 4 years ago

This behavior by the OP is concerning to me. I've never bought from big Daddy, but am often in the market for his products. I'd been referred to that business recently, and anticipated trying them out as an alternative to some of the other suppliers. not because they ever did wrong by me, but it's a small hobby, and i like to spread the love around to everyone. but now i'm faced with the possibility that if anything goes seriously wrong w/ the transaction, and i feel compelled to speak out about it, I too can be the title of a thread, asking the community to hang me in town square. i mean, it probably doesn't happen often, but in this thread it happened 100% of the time. and best i can tell K's arcade has never done that.

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I have a very legit question here. Would you have had the same opinion if it had been a $216 order and not just a $16 order?

I would have reacted the same way, and as I've stated, won't again. I posted here to vent and warn, and got the mixed reactions I expected.

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

I would have reacted the same way, and as I've stated, won't again. I posted here to vent and warn, and got the mixed reactions I expected.

At this point, with the reactions you have gotten, good or bad, do you really still believe that people should be warned about this customer?

#135 4 years ago

Change the title man. At least change it to “should this eBay buyer be banned?” or something....

#136 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

You posted here to publicly slander someone that you insulted. This person paid you, yet you were upset that they were offended by being insulted.

Where is the logic here? Or god forbid, empathy?

Your concern was about the good standing of your business reputation, but clearly in how you've related by creating this thread, and at length defended your actions, you've done far more damage to your business than just losing Tom as a future customer.

Edit:

Send this thread to Tom and eBay, and let's see how they react. I'd be curious.

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

You posted here to publicly slander someone that you insulted. This person paid you, yet you were upset that they were offended by being insulted.
    Where is the logic here? Or god forbid, empathy?
    Your concern was about the good standing of your business reputation, but clearly in how you've related by creating this thread, and at length defended your actions, you've done far more damage to your business than just losing Tom as a future customer.

Where is the slander?
    What information regarding the transaction as posted by the OP was false?

#138 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:...I stated...he didn't need to remind me to ship quickly, and that I find it aggravating. I messed up in that I spoke up, no one wants anyone to speak their mind.

Do you find it at all ironic that you don't want him speaking his mind via the negative feedback after you spoke your mind via your reply?

You're placing way too much value on a 100% rating. Almost no one cares.

Quoted from bigehrl:

I've never bought from big Daddy, but am often in the market for his products. I'd been referred to that business recently, and anticipated trying them out as an alternative to some of the other suppliers. not because they ever did wrong by me, but it's a small hobby, and i like to spread the love around to everyone. but now i'm faced with the possibility that if anything goes seriously wrong w/ the transaction, and i feel compelled to speak out about it, I too can be the title of a thread, asking the community to hang me in town square.

bigehrl has a point. You've probably done more damage to your reputation with this thread that has been seen by many people in your target market. If other options are available why take a chance (even a tiny one) by buying from you?

#139 4 years ago

Anyone who buys from you is now on notice that you'll blacklist them publicly in a forum they might not even be a part of if they leave honest but negative feedback. That's going to deter some buyers in the future.

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Where is the slander?
    What information regarding the transaction as posted by the OP was false?

"the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation."

Doesn't have to be false. What he did post is definitely damaging to Tom's ability to buy future parts if needed by people that would block him as a buyer. Also potentially damaging to his reputation, which he is not able to defend here.

Edit: Libel is written, slander is spoken.

(I'm no lawyer, that is for certain, but I am curious as to where grey area is in a situation like this, regarding the definition itself.)

#141 4 years ago

I agree - OP took it way too far. First OP - you have to be aware of people's *intentions*. Did they write that note intending to aggravate you? Did they write it with a negative intent? It's more akin to small-talk, especially with the pinball hurtin comment. And if that kind of simple comment aggravates you that much - you need to find a way to get a bit more positive in life - you'll be happier and live longer. And the people you interact with will be happier as well.

To then come on a forum and encourage everyone to block this particular individual is a whole other level of anger-management issue altogether. Just think, if you'd responded in the "normal person" way of "I know the feeling man! I'll get it out to you ASAP!" ... None of this happens. None of your time is wasted. You get positive feedback. The forum thread doesn't exist. The customer feels happy, and maybe they'll think of you first the next time they need something. You don't spend your time writing dozens of messages justifying your action in a pinball forum. I don't waste my time writing this message, either. If only ...

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

"the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation."
    Doesn't have to be false. What he did post is definitely damaging to Tom's ability to buy future parts if needed by people that would block him as a buyer. Also potentially damaging to his reputation, which he is not able to defend here.

Exactly. And if he doesn’t change the post title Google is going to crawl THIS site and the FIRST thing anyone sees should they conduct a google search on this buyer is OP’s call for a public ban. Total horse poo. Makes my blood boil.

#143 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

You have quoted a definition which clearly states “making a false spoken statement” and then you comment that it “Doesn’t have to be false.”

#144 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

You have quoted a definition which clearly states “making a false spoken statement” and then you comment that it “Doesn’t have to be false.”

I agree it's not slander - it just an incredibly asinine vengeful thing to do.

#145 4 years ago

Seller removed the name. Closing this.

There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warning-to-ebay-sellers-buyer-tom848tom-/page/3?hl=wrb1977 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.