(Topic ID: 246446)

Warning to eBay sellers

By toddsvec

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tregurd.gif
    assholes (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    tom848tom (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 4 years ago

I think Ebay will bump off this negative pretty quick.
    The transaction was completed and it looks like the buyer was happy with the item.

#52 4 years ago

I can completely empathize with you.
    23 years on Ebay, and 2 Negatives, and I remember them both.

Theres a point were the little things just seem to get bigger when you do your best day in and day out.
    Perhaps our ages are close.

No magic advice....stuff you know....meditate, sleep on it, have a drink, roll one....or all of the above.

assholes (resized).jpgassholes (resized).jpg
    #53 4 years ago

I think that its odd that you say the guy got "butt hurt" over a few words. Isnt that exactly what happened to you?

#54 4 years ago

I think it’s odd that grown men send messages to a seller stating, “Ship ASAP” and “Send tracking number immediately.”
    That sounds like something a guy would do while he is waiting for both testicles to descend.

If the order doesn’t show up in the time frame promised feel free to whine like a little girl. Until then shut up.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

So you're aggravated he got aggravated when you told him he was aggravating?

Sums it up, but he had the power to affect my rating and cause lost business.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

I think that its odd that you say the guy got "butt hurt" over a few words. Isnt that exactly what happened to you?

Not really. He had nothing to lose by getting my message back, it doesn't affect his life or business at all. But his feedback caused a public negative rating on my reputation, my business. It could cause lost sales. It could potentially cost my fees to me on eBay. It's business, and personal. But it's not purely personal.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

Sums it up, but he had the power to affect your rating and cause lost business.

Exactly, said right before I said it.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

Not really. He had nothing to lose by getting my message back, it doesn't affect his life or business at all. But his feedback caused a public negative rating on my reputation, my business. It could cause lost sales. It could potentially cost my fees to me on eBay. It's business, and personal. But it's not purely personal.

Which is exactly why your desire to keep a positive image should outweigh your desire to speak your mind to the customer.

#59 4 years ago

I'm not criticizing you. I totally get it. And you're right about the buyer: He's an ass.

That said, you invited the ass to express his sad and pathetic little power when you told him his request was aggravating. It was clear from his request that he was "one of those" buyers; don't you find that "those buyers" are exactly the ones that cause the most trouble?

I literally had a similar experience today: I accepted an offer for $100 off an expensive model train. The buyer immediately sent me a message telling me how to ship it, to use extra packing material, etc. I knew he was a problem buyer right then. I responded with: "That request needed to be included with your offer. I'm shipping it the way I normally do. If that's a problem, we can cancel the sale. No hard feelings."

Immediately he accuses me of not being reasonable and "you're saying you don't have another box?!". So I cancelled the sale. He responded that I was an idiot. End of story.

My point is: You can usually tell when people are going to be a problem, and your guy gave clear signals. Your response gave him an opening to blame you for his personality.

But like I said: I TOTALLY understand your frustration. Your (small) mistake was letting yourself vent your frustration to an unsympathetic buyer. You just can't do that and expect a generous result.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Which is exactly why your desire to keep a positive image should outweigh your desire to speak your mind to the customer.

I do appreciate that comment. It is a struggle with me in this day and age to zip your lip and kiss ass, versus telling what unreasonable people want to hear and accept as true life.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from brundaged:

But like I said: I TOTALLY understand your frustration. Your (small) mistake was letting yourself vent your frustration to an unsympathetic buyer. You just can't do that and expect a generous result.

You totally get it too. I often block the buyers that ask too many or simply stupid questions. And you and others are right, I'll ignore the idiots that ask for those things they don't need to ask for, and block them, like I always do, from further buying. Even thought I've been on eBay for 20 years (no really, 1999), I am learning people never change, are more and more assholes, and I'll just ignore their stupid emails after I block them from future sales.

#62 4 years ago

I had a similar issue happen last week. Sold a fluttering dmd. Stated it all in auction and the buy it now was $35 so price reflected. I plugged it into a machine the night before I shipped to make sure all okay other than flutter. Shipped off and get an ebay message from buyer saying I sold him garbage. He included a pic that made it look like he pried it apart. Ignored what it looked like he did and offered full refund. Guy never responded and just negs. 100% perfect feedback for years gone. He then has the audacity to ask for a refund a day later post negative. Lol. I see he filed a complaint with ebay saying he never got it but eBay acknowledged he did because I bought the shipping through ebay. Idiot.

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

You're right, but sad that in this day you have to bow down to the ignorant in fear of a retaliatory rating. The customer here is not appreciative of the product, the quickness of delivery, or that it served his needs. No where back in my parents age would someone be so unthankful.

It's kinda funny to me. I thank the 40+ comments supporting me (guessing), but I'm also just surprised at the number of people that tell me one way or another that telling a customer to cool his jets is deserving of a negative feedback. It's just the way it is these days.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

I see he filed a complaint with ebay saying he never got it but eBay acknowledged he did because I bought the shipping through ebay. Idiot.

You got super lucky. These days eBay will NOT interject with items "not as described", they will allow for all return requests. You can sell a used brown pair of shoes and they can say anything and eBay will allow the return, on your dime.

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

You're right, but sad that in this day you have to bow down to the ignorant in fear of a retaliatory rating. The customer here is not appreciative of the product, the quickness of delivery, or that it served his needs. No where back in my parents age would someone be so unthankful.
    It's kinda funny to me. I thank the 40+ comments supporting me (guessing), but I'm also just surprised at the number of people that tell me one way or another that telling a customer to cool his jets is deserving of a negative feedback. It's just the way it is these days.

It's basically censorship. Ebay has given all power to the buyer, don't you dare challenge them or else you get a scarlet letter. Reminds me of a lot of others things in life.

#66 4 years ago

Gosh Todd,
    I don't really see what’s wrong with a note. My guess would be he didn’t mean any ill will. Because my wife puts up with pinball I am always ordering at her request Snowman Cookie Jars from EBay. I always ask them to please pack well because so many have arrived broken.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

The customer here is not appreciative of the product, the quickness of delivery, or that it served his needs.

But you also aren't seeming appreciative of their business.

They made a simple note, and it might surely have been aggravating for you on some level, but that's not his problem. You're selling an item, he expressed a desire to hope it shipped quickly, and for some reason you were irked by that.

Why on earth is someone aggravating for asking for something to be shipped soon? If they asked five times before getting a reply from you or a shipping notice, sure, but they made a reasonable statement by discussing shipping.

I do feel it's more unreasonable for you to then ask others to block someone, a person that did all they needed to do as a buyer, they bought.

I'm not saying I don't empathize with being upset at negative feedback, but you openly told a buyer they were aggravating for one message regarding shipping.

I just don't get the issue you had with them.

#68 4 years ago

I think the guy was really excited to be getting what he needed to bring his pin back to life, the same reaction many of us have.

And just because your listing says you’ll ship right away doesn’t mean that’s true, again like many of us have experienced.

So rather than assume you’re a man of your word, he jotted off a quick note that to him conveyed his appreciation and excitement. You obviously perceived it differently.

I don’t think you deserved the negative but I can see how he felt offended that you took his positivity and flipped it.

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I can completely empathize with you.
    23 years on Ebay, and 2 Negatives, and I remember them both.

At this point in the Ebay timeline you just have to take it in stride, people are aware the system is rigged.

If making a purchase on Ebay I'll go to the negative feedback and read the comments. You can figure out for yourself pretty quick if the seller is dishonest or just had the bad luck of having to deal with a few tools. Don't lose any sleep over it.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

Exactly, said right before I said it.

Did you just quote and respond to yourself ; )?

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

Sums it up, but he had the power to affect my rating and cause lost business.

You're either going to get this or not, but you had the power all along. Knowing when to keep your mouth shut with someone you're unlikely to interact with again could have avoided all this.

#72 4 years ago

The customer got his shot in, BDE defended himself and the buyer escalated it with negative feedback against a business which on eBay is way too powerful of a tool to use against a seller on a platform that is already rigged against the seller.

Now to be fair, if someone drilled down through the feedback ratings and actually looked at the comment for the feedback, they should dismiss it. I know I would: "The seller said I was annoying so I left a big red negative feedback, haha!"

I would tend to side with the seller because yeah, that's pretty annoying.

#73 4 years ago

I’ve left one negative feedback in 10 years on Ebay when I got totally scammed. I would not have left you feedback at all.

I would have appreciated the fast shipping, but not the insult. Reading your response I would have been like, “what, what?....he finds me irritating”. Their request was not rude in any way. Just a simple request. No reason to let the customer know your personal feelings.

I let things go pretty easy, but when I feel like I’ve been disrespected I take it personal. Your comment would have erked me for a bit.

#74 4 years ago

You have 9,668 positive reviews. If you think ONE negative is going to impact your business you are mistaken.

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from alexmogil:

The customer got his shot in

Seriously? The guy asked for quick shipping because he was excited to fix his machine. It wasn't a shot at anyone.

Quoted from alexmogil:

buyer escalated it

No way, the seller clearly escalated the situation.

#76 4 years ago

I would never tell a paying customer that they are aggravating me, Period. There are more polite things to say to get your point across.

#77 4 years ago

As a seller you need to check your pride and ego at the door

I’m an apologetic sweetheart in the face of problems or unreasonable buyers while I’m raging out cursing them and breaking shit behind the keyboard

100% positive for 17 years

#78 4 years ago

Unfortunately, you asked for it with the totally unnecessary aggravating comment. Why say that? The fact that you use the phrase butt hurt in your post says a lot as well. The guy gave you money, shut up and take it if use ebay. Buyers have power to mess up your rep.

#79 4 years ago

‘ASAP’ can be taken multiple ways but many people still use it to mean exactly the way it was meant to be used... ‘as soon as is possible for you would be appreciated’ which is most likely what the buyer meant.

Maybe he should have used some other words but you really are taking your interpretation waaaay too far for this single acronym and imparting way too much onto it from inside your own brain.

You started this escalation when you wrote to him that he was irritating. For sure he was a happy buyer and then you wrote that to him. I’ll tell you what is 100%... 100% of buyers will get irritated at you telling them they are irritating.

Solution. Stop reading too much into ASAP and just ship items. Your buyers love your performance as a seller. You are a great seller.

#80 4 years ago

I really do appreciate all the input. While I know better, it has just reinforced that "the customer is always right" and always has the power, and I'm not allowed to give any opinion. eBay told us that years ago when they disallowed sellers from leaving buyers negative feedback. Point taken that I should have said nothing, or left off the word aggravating.

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

I told the buyer exactly: ""Will go in the morning mail. And FYI, it's posted I ship in 1 business day. And I ship every day, Sundays and holidays like today. No need to attach a note to say ship ASAP, it's actually a little aggravating"." If that's reason to receive a negative feedback, I'm sorry but I disagree that it's reasonable. If you think I'm the a-hole in this situation, can I have your eBay ID?

Yeah dude. Your comment was snarky as heck, at best you came across as a high maintenance be-atch and your comment is out of bounds. His feedback is 100% valid. Take it to heart and ask yourself “What would holminone’s daughter do?” She has great sensibilities on these types of things and she would say “wow!!! Salty!!! Or “snarky” or “what a butt shnuck without the shnuck.”

#82 4 years ago

Tom848tom is welcome to buy from me anytime...
    and I wont send him a crappy message when he does

#83 4 years ago

Just let it go, man. I don’t sell on eBay but have dealt with shit like this being a contractor on Angie’s list. I have hundreds and hundreds of straight A ratings for all the jobs I’ve done and super service awards every year for over the past 14 years. But there were a few F’s by people I never even did work for. Usually for unreasonable things like I didn’t bid their job when there were literally 20 other contractors there lined up waiting for their turn to go in to look at the job.
    Bottom line is, as much as you want to have a perfect record, it will never happen. There’s always going to be someone who’s life job is to piss in someone else’s Cheerios. Move on and keep doing what you are doing. Believe me, any sane minded person will completely ignore the bad review when you have a ton of good reviews to say otherwise.

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from holminone:

Yeah dude. Your comment was snarky as heck, at best you came across as a high maintenance be-atch and your comment is out of bounds. His feedback is 100% valid. Take it to heart and ask yourself “What would holminone’s daughter do?” She has great sensibilities on these types of things and she would say “wow!!! Salty!!! Or “snarky” or “what a butt shnuck without the shnuck.”

If the item is as described and got there in a timely manner I see no reason to leave a neg strike as a buyer.

At worse a neutral with a note explaining why. Both parties being a touch thin skinned perhaps, easy to happen over the internet.

#85 4 years ago

Writing him an aggravating note was not the best thing to do, but him giving you a negative strike when he received the item as described, in the condition described, and the time described I feel is not the appropriate measure of response. When I buy something from Ebay, that is all I care about.

If he was unhappy with your note, he should have mentioned it in the comment section, but also reflect how the rest of the purchase went. IMO, telling everybody to block him is also not the right measured response.

#86 4 years ago

602 reviews and you choose to focus on the one negative one?

You can't control how others act, only how you respond to it.

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

.... he said "please ship asap: my pinball is hurtin! ....

Completely harmless non deal at all. Maybe a smily face would of helped but I read it like its hurtin, not "! send it now"

Quoted from toddsvec:

No need to attach a note to say ship ASAP, it's actually a little aggravating"...

Haha...passive aggressive shit and you're surprised you got called on it. I would have personally not left any feedback unless you asked for it, to which i would have left a neutral. Diff'rent strokes and all.

#88 4 years ago

I had an issue a little ways back where the buyer made a purchase and then made a pile of demands(sturdy box, extra bubble wrap, ship ASAP, send tracking, item cleaned, triple tested .. etc). All this I do anyway. I looked at feedback he left for others and he was leaving neg feedback for one day late .. etc. I feared any little imperfection and I would be his next neg. I canceled his order, gave refund and promptly blocked him .. potential problem solved.

So your neg that you got my comeback to bite him in more ways than one.

Mike V

#89 4 years ago

I felt the same way when I received my first down vote.

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from RacingPin:

I looked at feedback he left for others and he was leaving neg feedback for one day late .. etc. I feared any little imperfection and I would be his next neg. I canceled his order, gave refund and promptly blocked him .. potential problem solved.

I do this exact thing. Slightest hint of a red flag and I’ll start stalking your feedback left for others.

My blocked bidder list is comically long

I’ll even block your ass if you make unreasonable best offers or only come up $1 at a time

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Slightest hint of a red flag and I’ll start stalking your feedback left for others.

My blocked bidder list is comically long

I’ll even block your ass if you make unreasonable best offers or only come up $1 at a time

Wow.

#92 4 years ago

ebay is a cesspool of misery and I'm glad I haven't used it in over 10 years.

#93 4 years ago

To be honest his comment just sounds like friendly banter to me. He was probably expecting something like "Haha, will do !" from you. I leave quirky comments all the time if only to remind the person on the other end they are dealing with a human being and maybe brighten up their day.

#94 4 years ago

At the very least, the transaction went perfectly...he gets to fix his machine, you made some funds, and we have proven once again that one isolated negative feedback anywhere is irrelevant when the other 99.9999% of the feedback is positive (or vice versa).

#95 4 years ago

get snippy, people get snippy back. just the way it works.

#96 4 years ago

strangers telling other strangers what to do. GTFO

#97 4 years ago

You’re blocked!

#98 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

You’re blocked!

LMAO

#99 4 years ago

I used to sell on ebay. Mostly arcade parts. Over 8000 sales. Here is my list of blocked buyers. Some I had problems with, others were just too annoying with demands and some that I considered negative feedback happy. I can say this much. Everything I sold as working was tested and working or was listed as either not tested or tested and not working. Still would always get that one buyer that acted like I was trying to rip them off or was trying to fix a game that was dead with my part and it didn't fix the game so they wanted a refund. Edited my list to to just these two people now.
    fartknocker2006, funkychunkymonkey07

#100 4 years ago

There I am, fartknocker2006.

There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warning-to-ebay-sellers-buyer-tom848tom-/page/2?hl=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.