(Topic ID: 23542)

silkscreening WARNING text on backbox. need some help and info.

By Drano

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by zhollo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I've decided to look into producing my own silkscreen for the warning text and patent numbers on the back of my pin restorations. I also saw that turbo20lbs sold one of Grover Gibson's limited kits a couple of months back so there is some good info on the proper ink to use there.

Does anyone have a high quality scan or vector file for the two areas of text?
    Also, any advice on what details or specification I need to give the screen manufacturers would also be appreciated.

If any of you own the original set, I would even love to see a picture of the kit.
    Any links to pics or video showing the process of actually screening this text would also be awesome.

Thanks.
    Adriano

#2 11 years ago

Thought this was NSFW when I saw it.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Thought this was NSFW when I saw it.

fixed

#4 11 years ago

Ink is Nazdar 592341K Medium Yellow (says $35 on my can).

You provide the scan or artwork file and the screen shop will burn you screen on their vacuum table.

You screen print it like any other silkscreen.

#5 11 years ago

looks like a pain in the ass

#6 11 years ago

I think I read that metahugh looked into doing this. Might want to send him a message.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrainO:

looks like a pain in the ass

If you have the screen shop burn your screen you skip many of the steps, but yes, it is a pain in the ass, LOL

#8 11 years ago

I'm surprised someone would go to the trouble of getting this screened again as opposed to just stencil and airbrush.

Any particular reason other than pure authenticity?

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm surprised someone would go to the trouble of getting this screened again as opposed to just stencil and airbrush.
    Any particular reason other than pure authenticity?

Well, there is the authenticity for sure, but creating a stencil for text that small is going to be a big pain in the but. Firstly, it has to be cut in vinyl and applied to some pre-mask so it can be applied. Then, "weeding" the text could take hours. This is the process of peeling back all of the negative spaces inside letters like P, R, B etc... Also, you would need a vector file to be able to program a vinyl cutter to do this properly and then each stencil can only be used once. Screening is the simplest and most effective way to do it without a doubt.

Quoted from vid1900:

Ink is Nazdar 592341K Medium Yellow (says $35 on my can).
    You provide the scan or artwork file and the screen shop will burn you screen on their vacuum table.
    You screen print it like any other silkscreen.
    » YouTube video

I have seen these screens for WPC games sold on eBay for stupid prices, but they don't appear to have a wooden frame like other screens I've seen (like the one in your photo). I have never screened anything before. Any idea how you clamp it down to the backbox?

Thanks!

#10 11 years ago

Stenciling doesn't work and the full backbox decal doesn't look very good. Screening is the proven way to get the warning text to look factory fresh.

It's an easy process once you have the screen. It doesn't need to be clamped down, but does need to be held in place to keep it from sliding. If you email me direct, I'll provide as much detail as you need. For now...

1. Add cleat to frame to keep frame from moving when you pull against it (explained later)

2. use spacers on frame to keep screen approximately 1/8 inch above backbox

3. spread ink evenly across screen, being carefull not to push screen onto the backbox

4. use squeege to pull ink across screen, while applying enough downward pressure for the screen to make contact with backbox. This is where you need the cleat to keep the screen from moving towards you

5. lift off screen and prepare to clean up a major mess.

6. to minimize the clean up, apply clear packing tape to the areas of the screen which doesn't have text (like the inside corners of the frame)

Steve (in Escalon, CA)

#11 11 years ago

I've got a vinyl cutter, just didn't know if there was a particular reason other than the obvious.

#12 11 years ago

If anyone wants to take the easy way out:

I believe Bryan Kelly does these; you have to send him your backbox. Here's a Warning Text 101 thread if his on the matter:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/dbe8290624144485/8e8f7316ed6a6848?hl=en&lnk=raot#8e8f7316ed6a6848

Then Doug Huse sells just the backbox panel itself:

http://www.letsplaypinball.com/

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

I have seen these screens for WPC games sold on eBay for stupid prices, but they don't appear to have a wooden frame like other screens I've seen (like the one in your photo).

You can use wood or aluminum, the pros use both. Really large screens (like those used on playfields) tend to be aluminum, but I've seen those in wood too.

You can build your own frame, as that might help you align the frame to the backbox.

If you are screening a lot of backboxes, you will use lever clamps, but for just a few you can use regular F clamps from Harbor Freight.

Remember that the bottom of the screen does not actually touch the backbox. There is a small gap called the Off-contact. When you press the squeegee down, it just slightly stretches the screen down to the surface, then springs back when done. This makes the print crisp. Use some thin material as a spacer all the way around (or even just in the 4 corners) . Depending on how tightly your screen is stretched, you might need a 1/16" to 1/8" amount of spacer. Maybe just use some nickels.

#14 11 years ago

Cool.
    Thanks guys! This is great info. I had no idea the screen "floated" above the work surface.

If I cant locate a file to create a screen, I might have no option but to buy one of the "official" screens I've seen on eBay. I guess I'll have to build my own frame. I'm assuming it's not much different than pulling canvas over a stretcher?

1 year later
    #15 10 years ago

Dear Pin fans,

anybody has some vector file about this back box warning area? thank you.

br,

Zoltan

#16 10 years ago

or it is NSFW? thank you for replying. cheers, Z.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warning-text-screening-need-some-help-and-info and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.