Quoted from jetmechinnc:
I canceled the transaction due to a few reasons. First, emails with Pokerjake never included his real name or phone number. This bothered me a bit, potential scam maybe? After asking him if he wanted other info on the pinball, he said no, that he trusted me. This marks good faith/character on his part, but made me a bit concerned since I would want the most info on anything I am buying that is used, especially if it costs a lot of money.
Per escrow.com, the funds should have been secured via paypal in 24 hours from Wednesday. After contacting them Friday on the phone as well as Sunday via their web chat , they said they were still trying to verify the funds/person sending the money. This made me nervous. Since the money was never secured, either party was able to cancel the transaction per Escrow.com at that time so I cancelled. Plus I was concerned about shipping the game from the get go, my fault, I should have never agreed to do that. Just caused a lot of stress of the unknown such as will I be paid, if the game is rejected, will I receive it back, etc. Talking with escrow.com, they said if the game was rejected, and not returned within 10 days, it could go mediation/court and cost each party $4K, again, this made me nervous since I would never be able to afford that.
Per escrow.com, his funds will be returned since no transaction had taken place because the funds were never secured. Shipping charges cannot be enforced because nothing was ever shipped. When I talked to the shipping company, I even told them a potential pickup date was depending on funds being secured so it may be cancelled all together based on that.
Why not just ask for his name and phone number? Why sale the game out from under him locally until you felt comfortable that the funds were secure with escrow.com? This all looks like you did not hold your end of the bargain simply because you found a local sale after agreeing to another deal. A simple call to Michelle to wait on pickup is no big deal. If it's true that you suggested escrow.com in the first place then all that mediation information should have been researched by you before suggesting using escrow.com. Still don't know how it could cost you $4k on a $2000 deal tops. Most it could cost you is $2k...don't contest anything.