Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FH03-8470-228x228 (resized).jpg
Funhouse & Roadshow Gear (resized).png
pasted_image gear (resized).png
image.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I don't know if any of you have purchased the below gear for your Funhouse or Roadshow, yet I did purchase one since I was tired of replacing the gear on my funhouse on location after a few weeks.

I installed this gear on my game on Feb 16th and left the game since I thought my problem was solved. Well, I checked the game on Friday and Rudy's mouth was stuck. I opened the game, looked at the gear, and it seems to have locked itself on the shaft and seems impossible to remove. It probably the metal on metal construction. I am having the hardest time trying to pry it off, which is damaging the bracket it rests on. You cannot buy the bracket that encases the gear housing that has the pins sticking out. I emailed the seller on Friday, of course, no response as of yet.

Just wanted to warn anyone since it seems this part could be defective and harm your game.

ebay.com link: Funhouse Roadshow Pinball Machine Sector Gear

image.jpg

#2 8 years ago

The metal gear seems way over kill to me. Thanks for the heads up .

#3 8 years ago

If you need a metal gear, and or you just replaced one and having problems already. There is something else wrong . They take 10 years or better to wear out when made of plastic. Better look at yours again to see if something else is bad.

#4 8 years ago

The originals might last 10 years.. but the repro plastic gears on the market are not as well made as the originals, some failing within days of installation.

#5 8 years ago

OP: Did you use any lube at all before placing the gear onto the shaft? Was it extremely difficult to put on?

I do not know if the gear is too small to work, but maybe a gear puller at your local autoshop might be able to get it off, or heat the gear with a torch and see what you can do.

Quoted from johnwartjr:

The originals might last 10 years.. but the repro plastic gears on the market are not as well made as the originals, some failing within days of installation.

A +1 to this. Broke 3 repros in 3 months on my FH. Put the original back on, been going strong for 5+ years. Still hoping Pinbits does a Delrin gear set sometime soon. Was thinking about buying one of the metal gears mentioned by the OP, but not at 90+ bucks on ebay.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Another +1 on this. The repros turn into a waxy goo in no time. The teeth almost seem to melt off the gear. The metal sounds like a good idea. Maybe not.

#7 8 years ago

Crap. I bought one as a back up as I also have a Funhouse on location. Please keep us updated.

#8 8 years ago

The brass part of the gear not being an oilite does need to have some sort of lube(synthetic or dry graphite) when installing on the shaft. I installed one a while back and have had no problem. granted mine is not on route but is heavily played in my collection. What would be cool if it could be modified for a nylon or delrin sleeve.

#9 8 years ago

I had to use the dreaded wd40 to get it off. I whipped it clean to get any residue off. Back to my pile of plastic gears...worst $90 I spent.

4 years later
#10 3 years ago

My Name is Al Meekins and my small gear making company GearsMade.com made this Funhouse or Roadshow gear to help because I am a pinball machine owner and love them and work on them. We sold about 100 of these gears before someone did not wipe off the old residue from his shaft before forcing it on that caused it to be to tight on the shaft. We are very proud of our work and I was sick to read the review of a very good gear. I sold them on ebay and had about 100 positive feedbacks on this gear. When I read the review I was so hurt that we stopped making them. I have been asked several times to make them again. Not one gear has ever failed and some of them have been in action for over 5 years. Sincerely, Al

pasted_image gear (resized).png

#11 3 years ago

I wouldn’t worry about the review. That post is 4 years old.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Meekins:

When I read the review I was so hurt that we stopped making them.

Somewhat of a lame excuse to stop manufacturing this part.

If you've moved on to bigger and better things, good luck!

However, just be real and say that!

#13 3 years ago
#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Meekins:

We are very proud of our work and I was sick to read the review of a very good gear. I sold them on ebay and had about 100 positive feedbacks on this gear. When I read the review I was so hurt that we stopped making them.

that's to bad, never heard of this gear before. Never knew the plastic one was a big point of failure. something tells me that if he was replacing the plastic ones on even a bi-weekly basis, that something else was going on (even on location). If you even remake, these let me know. I'd get one cause, I'm in the process of partially restoring one for location play.

In any business your in, you will get negative reviews.
Even if you do everything in your power to do the right, there are still things out of your control. Like in this case, maybe the guy installed it wrong (not saying he did). maybe the other plastic gear it meshes with was messed up, (who knows). Can't take stuff to personally.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Meekins:

My Name is Al Meekins and my small gear making company GearsMade.com made this Funhouse or Roadshow gear to help because I am a pinball machine owner and love them and work on them. We sold about 100 of these gears before someone did not wipe off the old residue from his shaft before forcing it on that caused it to be to tight on the shaft. We are very proud of our work and I was sick to read the review of a very good gear. I sold them on ebay and had about 100 positive feedbacks on this gear. When I read the review I was so hurt that we stopped making them. I have been asked several times to make them again. Not one gear has ever failed and some of them have been in action for over 5 years. Sincerely, Al

You have a gear making operation and a love for pinball , sounds good so far. You sell $10,000 worth of gears, I assume at a hefty profit, and you stop making them because of 1 bad review? Makes no sense to me at all .....

1 week later
#16 3 years ago

Hello again, I am Al Meekins the maker of this gear. After such a nice warm response from this forum I have made 6 of these gears and I will guarantee them to work properly for 5 years. Please go to Ebay and search for ( Funhouse & Roadshow Pinball Machine Sector Gear ). Thank you, Al Meekins

Funhouse & Roadshow Gear (resized).png

#17 3 years ago

I just ordered three of your gears, thanks! Do you think you could also make the sector gear? It's the ~90 degree gear the one you currently sell interfaces with. Here's a picture. Thanks!

FH03-8470-228x228 (resized).jpg

#18 3 years ago

Looks like they are all sold out, couldn't find a listing. I did find a sold item for the other gear that Pball is wanting. Looks like Al made both at some stage. Hopefully he will again soon, maybe even offer them here outside of eBay?

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Meekins:

Hello again, I am Al Meekins the maker of this gear. After such a nice warm response from this forum I have made 6 of these gears and I will guarantee them to work properly for 5 years. Please go to Ebay and search for ( Funhouse & Roadshow Pinball Machine Sector Gear ). Thank you, Al Meekins

I have one of these on my FH for a few years now and Rudy couldn't be happier !

#20 3 years ago

Funhouse is almost 30 years old. Mine has the original plastic gears with no issues.

The plastic repros may have been made cheaper than the factory ones.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

The plastic repros may have been made cheaper than the factory ones.

The problem was the white plastic ones in the photo. They were a terrible repro and the teeth stripped in no time. Sellers quickly pulled them after complaints.

I bought one of Al's gears years ago as a backup and haven't had to use it yet.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

The problem was the white plastic ones in the photo. They were a terrible repro and the teeth stripped in no time. Sellers quickly pulled them after complaints.
I bought one of Al's gears years ago as a backup and haven't had to use it yet.

That's what I figured.

Plastic or metal, you still need to have a good lubricant on the teeth.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside