(Topic ID: 52168)

Warning- Do not let the window unit slip from the window until secured.

By Nevus

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by EvilJack
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gameroom_002.jpg
    photo_9.JPG
    photo_10.JPG
    photo_14.JPG
    photo_5.JPG
    photo_3.JPG
    photo_8.JPG
    #1 10 years ago

I have a small game room on the 2nd floor of my home. It's roughly 10x14 with a closet(aka pin repair center). It has 6 pins and a Tempest. It gets really hot in the room despite having a dedicated central AC unit for the upstairs. After ruling out a few more expensive options, I decided to add a window unit.

All of the existing games and a computer were running fine on the original wiring. I must have been lucky. I had and electrician add two additional 18amp circuits. "No problem, we will be out tomorrow". They came and put it in as requested. They get paid, I get circuit.

I called my AC man. "No sir, we don't put in window units". "Really? I'm happy to pay you", says me. "No sir, we don't do that". I had a suspicion that the person I spoke with did not own the company, but I moved on anyway.

Window unit #1. Unbox, assemble a few attachments. This looks quite easy. Uh oh! My window is 42", that's too big. I return it. Only later does a friend tell me how to solve that issue.

Window unit #2 Unbox. Assemble really fast, cause I'm a pro now. Then I drop it out the window. No not on grass either. Right on a metal porch roof (that it punctures). The window unit blew up like an IED hit it. All the coolant leaked out etc. It was hanging by 2 of the 3 wires connecting it to my wall. My only regret is that I did not get a picture.

Window unit #3. Went right in! I went to the store and confessed that I completely destroyed it because I am stupid. They felt sorry for me and told me to just get another one, no charge. // Error: Image 104312 not found // // Error: Image 104313 not found // // Error: Image 104314 not found //

#2 10 years ago

Pics of the new circuit, window unit corpse and installed #3

photo_8.JPGphoto_8.JPG photo_3.JPGphoto_3.JPG photo_5.JPGphoto_5.JPG

#3 10 years ago

Gameroom after installation

photo_14.JPGphoto_14.JPG photo_10.JPGphoto_10.JPG

#4 10 years ago

Hidden redneck diverter to keep cool air from blowing directly on to the back of STTNG and TZ.

photo_9.JPGphoto_9.JPG

#5 10 years ago

Dude. I am enjoying the honesty in your thread. We all do silly things from time to time. Glad they gave you a new one and that it all worked out. If you find that your electricity bill is too high you can always sell me your MM. Nice lineup and I love the redneck diverter. Function over aesthetics.

#6 10 years ago

Cool of them to give you another unit.

Glad no one was killed on the ground below.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Amen.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Me too.

First thing I thought of was who'd it hit ?

LTG : )

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Window unit #3. Went right in! I went to the store and confessed that I completely destroyed it because I am stupid. They felt sorry for me and told me to just get another one, no charge.

The lesson to be learned here is that you should always buy window unit #3. Never units 1 or 2. Tell them to move those other two out of the way, you want the one in the back. This window unit buying strategy has always worked for me. Haven't killed a window unit or small child yet.

Glad your pins are feeling better. d

#10 10 years ago

The store that allowed you to exchange the A/C unit deserves a call out.

What store was it?

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Hidden redneck diverter to keep cool air from blowing directly on to the back of STTNG and TZ.

LOL!

You have the redneck diverter below the intake, the cool air comes out of the grill at the top.
    Put a Glare Guard in there.

#12 10 years ago

I loved how this thread was written. I am sorry though to hear about your misfortune.

#14 10 years ago

Im sorry but your story had me cracking up laughing

#15 10 years ago

I have the same unit in my gameroom, I built it in and added the circuit when I added on.
    You can see it peeking out over the top of S-M.
    Kitra is on the right guarding the games.

gameroom_002.jpggameroom_002.jpg

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

LOL!
    You have the redneck diverter below the intake, the cool air comes out of the grill at the top.
    Put a Glare Guard in there.

I know. It's a work in progress. It's hard to get the divertor right between them the intake and the little vents on the top.

"Hey Jack, I'm 90 miles east of Uncle Si" I can go get him to help me out.

#17 10 years ago

The old Commando 8.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Cool of them to give you another unit.

Couldn't resist.

#19 10 years ago

I'll be there end of June to see if it is still working to keep the room cool!

#20 10 years ago

Great story Nevus, thank you! Thats why I looooove basements, always nice and cool during the summer.

#21 10 years ago

I'm jealous about basements. Water table is too high here. No basements in Louisiana.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I'm jealous about basements. Water table is too high here. No basements in Louisiana.

But you live where this song was written for...

#23 10 years ago

Sometimes here on Pinside Forum, you read a thread title, and you wonder, ...who started this thread? So you click on it.
    Ah, Nevus. Carry on fellow Louisiana pinball addict. Carry on.

The collection and game room is looking better all the time.

#24 10 years ago

I hate window units. Wasn't so bad at the apt because they fit in the window perfectly. At our house they don't fit very well with the windows we have, plus now I got to lug these things up and down stairs now.

We are thinking of installing central air this year.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warning-do-not-let-the-window-unit-slip-from-the-window-until-secured and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.