Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230524_105619 (resized).jpg
20230524_211145 (resized).jpg
20230524_211101 (resized).jpg
20230524_105518 (resized).jpg
#1 11 months ago

Just a warning to those of you that may be thinking about purchasing cabinet decals from Planetary Pinball. They apparently started cutting the paper backing of the decals, and folded them on that cutline when shoving them into the packing tube. I have no idea why they would do this, but when they did it put large creases in the decals.

I've applied decals before with minor creases and they turned out fine, so I figured I would install one and see if it smoothed out when applied. Unfortunately it did not and you can see the horrible line where these decals were folded.

I contacted their support and informed them of this issue and asked for new decals, but they told me since the decal was installed, they would not refund / replace the defective decals. This is extremely irritating because not only am I out the money for the decals, but all the time I spent getting the cabinet prepared for the restoration.

I understand that sometimes products have flaws, but I'm really disappointed that PPS will not stand behind their products. If you do buy cabinet decals from them, and you do see the paper backing has been cut. Do not make the mistake I did and try to install them, because the crease will NOT smooth out. Immediately open a support ticket and demand a refund.

20230524_105518 (resized).jpg20230524_105518 (resized).jpg
20230524_211145 (resized).jpg20230524_211145 (resized).jpg
20230524_211101 (resized).jpg20230524_211101 (resized).jpg
20230524_105619 (resized).jpg20230524_105619 (resized).jpg

**UPDATE**
PPS has changed their stance and has issued a refund.

#2 11 months ago

That is messed up. Another company for the boycott list. Please report back if they pivot and do the right thing.

#3 11 months ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Just a warning to those of you that may be thinking about purchasing cabinet decals from Planetary Pinball. They apparently started cutting the paper backing of the decals, and folded them on that cutline when shoving them into the packing tube. I have no idea why they would do this, but when they did it put large creases in the decals.
I've applied decals before with minor creases and they turned out fine, so I figured I would install one and see if it smoothed out when applied. Unfortunately it did not and you can see the horrible line where these decals were folded.
I contacted their support and informed them of this issue and asked for new decals, but they told me since the decal was installed, they would not refund / replace the defective decals. This is extremely irritating because not only am I out the money for the decals, but all the time I spent getting the cabinet prepared for the restoration.
I understand that sometimes products have flaws, but I'm really disappointed that PPS will not stand behind their products. If you do buy cabinet decals from them, and you do see the paper backing has been cut. Do not make the mistake I did and try to install them, because the crease will NOT smooth out. Immediately open a support ticket and demand a refund.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

That is really ugly. It would bother me like crazy after all that hard work to have the product look like that!

#4 11 months ago

That's some bs

#5 11 months ago

Same shit diff'rent day sadly

#6 11 months ago

It might tighten up with a hair dryer or heat gun.

#7 11 months ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

I agree.

That sucks homie.

#8 11 months ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

I tried that. Didn't work.

#9 11 months ago

I would initiate a chargeback with my card company. You have nothing to lose.

#10 11 months ago
Quoted from radium:

I would initiate a chargeback with my card company. You have nothing to lose.

I will try. I was hoping it wouldn't come to that, but if they're unwilling to make it right, I'll see if my bank can do something.

#11 11 months ago

I would reach out to them with your pictures. I had some issues with a plastic set and it took a little bit of back and forth but they made it right. I had to go through the help desk which will also give you a “paper trail.”

#12 11 months ago

Companies/people are just phoning it in anymore. Nobody has any pride or shows ownership when providing a service.

#13 11 months ago

Doesn’t Jeff at Classic Arcades produce those decals for PPS? I bet they either came directly from his half ass company or were inventoried from him. Sure does look like his handy work.

If I’m wrong I still stand behind my characterization of his work.

#14 11 months ago
Quoted from Pinballemporium:

I would reach out to them with your pictures. I had some issues with a plastic set and it took a little bit of back and forth but they made it right. I had to go through the help desk which will also give you a “paper trail.”

This was the first thing I did. Opened a support ticket, sent in pictures and asked for a new set of decals that were inspected and had no pre-cut backing. I was told there's nothing to replace since I installed one, so here I am. This makes me wonder if I had returned them before installing the one decal if they would have simply resold these to someone else.

#15 11 months ago

Why would any company that manufactures cabinet decals EVER pre-cut backing? Makes no sense. Also much like you experienced the decal will crease in that area.
I’ve had other types of decals come in creased and I don’t even attempt to install them. I send them back for the same reasons you had issues.
Sorry you are having to deal with that. I would use chargeback as a last resort.

#16 11 months ago

PPS lost me as a customer when he started defending Mirco

#17 11 months ago

I sympathize, but they are correct in taking the position that you should have sent them back before installing. In hindsight.... you could have called them ahead of time, explained your concerns over the crease then asked them if you could/should try to make them work or just send them back.

#18 11 months ago
Quoted from GregCon:

I sympathize, but they are correct in taking the position that you should have sent them back before installing. In hindsight.... you could have called them ahead of time, explained your concerns over the crease then asked them if you could/should try to make them work or just send them back.

Like I said, I've had success in the past with minor creases. I figured because the pre-cut the backing that this was standard with PPS decals and it would smooth out properly. I also foolishly assumed that if I did have problems PPS would make things right. This is not the case.

Going forward I will not purchase anything else from them and I will actively discourage others from buying their decals. It goes to show that PPS was not being sincere when he talked about looking into quality issues in the Mirco playfields thread when he won't even take care of his direct customers.

#19 11 months ago

Dang this would piss me off!! It is a lot of work getting the cabinet just right and then the decal is effed up like that?

Having the cut and then folding the decal exposes that area of the glue to the air and lets it dry. So the longer the decal sits before being installed the less likely it will bond properly at the fold and less likely the crease can be worked out. If you haven't done the other side yet, I might suggest doing it anyway but using Rapidtac with the wet method to see if reactivating the glue helps work out the crease.

#20 11 months ago

What is the sense in sending them back? They are garbage.

#21 11 months ago

Not cool. I will join the boycott.

#22 11 months ago

I wanted to report that I just received a refund for the cost of the decals from PPS. No message from support, just a closed ticket, but I want to thank PPS for taking care of this issue.

#23 11 months ago

I'd change the title.. also, sorry I sympathize but agree, you should never have installed it and expected a refund. Happy you got one though so congratz

#24 11 months ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

I wanted to report that I just received a refund for the cost of the decals from PPS. No message from support, just a closed ticket, but I want to thank PPS for taking care of this issue.

So it took a Pinside thread to get a refund. What about those that don't have a Pinside account or arent active? Are they SOL? They should have done the right thing regardless of the existence of this thread.

#25 11 months ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Companies/people are just phoning it in anymore. Nobody has any pride or shows ownership when providing a service.

I stand corrected Congrats!

#26 11 months ago

Why did you install if you weren't happy with quality kinda weird if you ask me.

#27 11 months ago
Quoted from acedanger:

Why did you install if you weren't happy with quality kinda weird if you ask me.

Read post #18.

#28 11 months ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Read post #18.

Well if Op felt confident he could smooth it out therefore he knowingly took the risk; IMO it's clear that it was a defect. I would of shipped it right back to them & wouldn't of wasted my time on install.

#29 11 months ago

Glad it worked out. Live and learn right.

#30 11 months ago
#31 11 months ago
Quoted from acedanger:

Well if Op felt confident he could smooth it out therefore he knowingly took the risk; IMO it's clear that it was a defect. I would of shipped it right back to them & wouldn't of wasted my time on install.

Maybe clear to you. Not clear to the OP. And not clear to me. The vendor sent them out like that. The vendor is supposed to know what they're doing. How is the average customer supposed to know these wouldn't work without trying them?

Anyway, I'm glad they eventually made it right.

#32 11 months ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Maybe clear to you. Not clear to the OP. And not clear to me. The vendor sent them out like that. The vendor is supposed to know what they're doing. How is the average customer supposed to know these wouldn't work without trying them?
Anyway, I'm glad they eventually made it right.

It's really common sensical simple!!

if you purchase something & STOP to question the quality from a vender for even a second then don't keep & install it.
Rather remain patient & return item. Search around for an alternative product/venders elsewhere.

#33 11 months ago
Quoted from acedanger:

It's really common sensical simple!!
if you purchase something & STOP to question the quality from a vender for even a second then don't keep & install it.
Rather remain patient & return item. Search around for an alternative product/venders elsewhere.

Id have also put the decals on, lol. Fuck it! full steam ahead! Toot Toot!

#34 11 months ago
Quoted from acedanger:

OK, but who is the injured party here? It's not like PPS was going to be able to reuse the decals if OP sent them back. They cost themselves the value of that set of decals as soon as they packed them improperly. Now OP is going to have to peel PPS' decals off, re-prep the cabinet, and then apply new decals. So even if it was a mistake to apply the creased decals, OP is the one paying the price for that decision -- he didn't ask PPS to reimburse him for his lost time and effort, just for the decals themselves. Seems like a fair outcome to me.

#35 11 months ago

In theory they could have returned them to whichever company printed them, or if there is no printing company, offer the set at a discount to someone. Prolly other things as well, those were just what came to mind.

#36 11 months ago
Quoted from Nintegageo:

In theory they could have returned them to whichever company printed them, or if there is no printing company, offer the set at a discount to someone. Prolly other things as well, those were just what came to mind.

Sounds like it was a packing error not a printing error so I'm not sure they'd have had much success with that kind of claim. Selling at a discount would be a possibility I guess. Though it seems insane to imagine going through all the work of prepping a cabinet and then installing obviously messed-up decals.

#37 11 months ago

With home use, though I doubt a business would care.

#38 10 months ago

PPS can you share if this was a 1-off mistake or something that is common?

#39 10 months ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

PPS can you share if this was a 1-off mistake or something that is common?

That totally looks like a manufacturing error and it was missed when put into stock. If it were common we would be seeing many more complaints. I don't fault PPS that this happened, I fault them for how they handled it.

Rick and his policies ...... I don't have enough time to list what I think.

#40 10 months ago

I love all the geniuses that say I'd never install, I would have immediately sent back. Great in hindsight. OP thought he could make it work and they should have been replaced regardless from the get go. If he has to send back, he can rip off and send fragments. It's shit and shouldn't be resold anyway.

#41 10 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I love all the geniuses that say I'd never install, I would have immediately sent back. Great in hindsight. OP thought he could make it work and they should have been replaced regardless from the get go. If he has to send back, he can rip off and send fragments. It's shit and shouldn't be resold anyway.

Exactly. The mistake is with the product, OP did nothing wrong. Mistakes happen, but it’s all about how the responsible party handles them that matter.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 180.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warning-about-cabinet-decals-from-pps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.