(Topic ID: 52948)

Warner Bros has announced that Wizard of Oz will be...

By 27dnast

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

re-released in IMAX 3D this coming September... along with home entertainment releases, merchandi$e and promotional partnerships...

Maybe I'm slow to the take, but I wonder if Jersey Jack's choice of a first game was coincidence or just another cog in the $$$ making machine.

Hmmm...

#2 10 years ago

No, he knew all this was coming, which was part of the reasoning behind choosing the title. A nice move, I think, as it's bound to boost attention and sales at least a little.

#3 10 years ago

I would hope with Jack being open and honest about the whole process that this is just a coincidence.

#4 10 years ago

We originally thought it would be delayed until the last movie, and that may have been planned. At this point, given the length, it was bound to be release one or two times before the machine comes out in some fashion

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

I would hope with Jack being open and honest about the whole process that this is just a coincidence.

Why would savvy timing regarding marketing be dishonest? Serious question.

Dan

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

Dan

Yeah... it's not dishonest, IMO. I thought that Oz was just a really unique choice... I guess I'm a little disappointed to realize it might be tied into this. But, only about .0001% of me cares.

At the end of the day, business is business and that's how the cookie crumbles. If it helps to launch them into pinball making health, more power to 'em.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

Dan

Agree, if he had knowledge and planned it........not dishonest but, a very,very savvy business decision!

#8 10 years ago

This is the dumbest thread I've ever read. Kinda like a bunch of senior women sitting around with nothing to talk about.... just whining about nothing...

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from kismetnumber1:

This is the dumbest thread I've ever read. Kinda like a bunch of senior women sitting around with nothing to talk about.... just whining about nothing...

Are you the leader?

#10 10 years ago

Great, now I want to see a WOZ pinball at every IMAX theater for the movie - and of course a giveaway of one at my local IMAX.

#11 10 years ago

I don't believe it is dis-honest just a good business decision, and I thought he publically stated that on a spooky interview 12-18months ago.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I don't believe it is dis-honest just a good business decision, and I thought he publically stated that on a Spooky interview 12-18months ago.

They very well may have...

#13 10 years ago

September should be right around the time I get my WOZ.

#14 10 years ago

When Jack picked WOZ for a theme, I'm sure he PLANNED for it to be released well before now. We all know it did not work out that way. I'll step out of the way now to make room for the conspiracy theorists.

#15 10 years ago

Sitting on the grassy knoll eating popcorn with LBJ's grandson.....

#16 10 years ago

I hear so many people walking out of movies saying to themselves ' damn that was a good movie if only there was an 8k pin with the same theme I could rush out and buy'

Yep that jjp is damn smart...

#17 10 years ago

Anyone thinking this is merely coincidence then you do not give Jack credit as a business man.
    Of course this was known that is one of the main reasons the title would be selected in the first place.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Of course this was known that is one of the main reasons the title would be selected in the first place.

Really? I agree that all the new WOZ movies and renewed interest in the original served to sweeten his choice, but do you really think the hope of a late 2013 re-release was the prime consideration when he chose WOZ as the theme for his Elaut coin pusher back in 2010?

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sunfox:

Really? I agree that all the new WOZ movies and renewed interest in the original served to sweeten his choice, but do you really think the hope of a late 2013 re-release was the prime consideration when he chose WOZ as the theme for his Elaut coin pusher back in 2010?

I don't think so. I think that the 75th anniversary of WOZ, was just the icing on the cake, and helped validate that this was the right decision to make. I agree with you sunfox, that the huge success of the coin pusher was probably one of the main factors behind the decision.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Hitch9:

I don't think so. I think that the 75th anniversary of WOZ, was just the icing on the cake, and helped validate that this was the right decision to make. I agree with you sunfox, that the huge success of the coin pusher was probably one of the main factors behind the decision.

I believe Jack's even explained several times in detail how he picked WOZ. Despite the coin pusher and its wild success, I don't think WOZ was his default "no brainer" choice for a pinball. He's talked about asking one of his employees to present him with a list of available licenses, and when he saw his choices and noticed WOZ on the list, he said gimmie that. And the employee went, "really?"

Clearly at that point it made a lot of sense to Jack especially with his prior history, and it fit with his goal of being family-friendly, recognizable and timeless. If you can't stand the 75-year old movie for whatever reason, then just pretend it's some original theme starring a lonesome teen girl caught up in a horrific natural disaster, tormented in a strange land by green witches and swarms of flying monkeys, accompanied by a cast of bizarre magical characters ruled by a con man king, featuring murder, drugs, kidnapping and chemical warfare, all wrapped up in a battle of good vs evil.

Hmm. WOZ is too family friendly?

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from kismetnumber1:

and what about whining about whining?

Dan

#22 10 years ago

There's no correlation between [current] shipping woz games and the 75th anniversary.

#23 10 years ago

Why does WOZ need a 3D reboot anyway??

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

A reboot is when you take an existing franchise and re-design it from the ground up in an all-new movie, which often covers ground already shown in prior movies. Like they did with Batman, Superman, Spider-man, Star Trek...

What they're doing to the 75-year-old WOZ is more of a remastered/enhanced re-release.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sunfox:

A reboot is when you take an existing franchise and re-design it from the ground up in an all-new movie, which often covers ground already shown in prior movies.

I didn't ask for the definition!!!!

#26 10 years ago

Spot on. He had a two unit liscense, one on the pusher and one left for whatever, he chose pinball.

#27 10 years ago

It has a monkey in it. 'Nuff said!

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Same reason we needed the 5th Great Gatsby film done in 3D, obviously.

#29 10 years ago

As far as why WOZ? A couple of months ago, whilst getting back into VP/FP/TPA-which eventually led me back to real (physical) pinball and now a few machines, I was trying to decide what would be a good theme for a pinball table artwise to do in FP or VP as my first virtual table. I had NO idea anyone was doing WOZ but thought it would be great for all the missions one could program, and I have always just loved that movie. When I found out someone was doing it I was kinda bummed because they idea had been taken. I'm not unhappy someone is doing the theme, though I would have done some of it differently. I can't stand the ruby red flippers, they are annoying, but that's the least of the problems (I can't afford one being the biggest problem with it!). I'd have been happy if the flippers had a nice decal rather than the annoying red plastic cover.

Again, why WOZ? Why the heck not?

#30 10 years ago

ummm... does the woz pinball just bring out the chronically ill negative nellies to post? "Dishonest" I mean isn't there much better uses of ones time? Maybe we can have a little sprinkle of the posie field dust in each woz thread to help them get their sleep.

#31 10 years ago

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warner-bros-has-announced-that-wizard-of-oz-will-be and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.