Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5CB0858B-45DC-4C7E-9416-731BA01CE26F (resized).jpeg
    100_0052 (resized).JPG
    100_0055 (resized).JPG
    100_0103 (resized).JPG
    100_0104 (resized).JPG
    100_0101 (resized).JPG

#1 6 years ago

Hey fellow modders, I have a #TAF that I just installed CoinTaker.com’s frosted LED backbox kit on. I really like the added brightness, and CoinTaker’s kit was nice (prompt shipping, clear instructions, good price).

HOWEVER, I’m not thrilled with how much whiter the backbox is now. Very “cool” white instead of being warm like the original bulbs. Is there an LED kit that gives me the brightness of LEDs with the color of the original bulbs?

#2 6 years ago

I like Comet warm white frosted.

#3 6 years ago

The one cointaker kit I used on a pin was not the greatest. I ordered extra bulbs and experimented and got things the way I like it. My next pin I just ordered a bunch of Comet warm white 1smd leds for the backbox and gi and they were perfect. I don't like "cool white".

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Is there an LED kit that gives me the brightness of LEDs with the color of the original bulbs?

No.

LEDs in the warm family just do not get orange enough to really simulate incandescent. If you want that huge brightness, you gotta pay with the color.

A few tips I would say is most of these LEDs are basically the same, so go with the cheapest. Comet's work great and half the price of cointaker. People like whom they like and all but in a blind taste test so to speak you'd never know the diff'rence.

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1ledbullet.htm

Also LEDs in backbox are usually too bright and you can only fill 2/3 or the sockets and it will look fine.

#5 6 years ago

Go with the comet warm leds. They are close to the incandescent look but brighter. I can take a pic of mine tomorrow if you want to see the PF and translate.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Hey fellow modders, I have a #TAF that I just installed CoinTaker.com’s frosted LED backbox kit on. I really like the added brightness, and CoinTaker’s kit was nice (prompt shipping, clear instructions, good price).
    HOWEVER, I’m not thrilled with how much whiter the backbox is now. Very “cool” white instead of being warm like the original bulbs. Is there an LED kit that gives me the brightness of LEDs with the color of the original bulbs?

My Pet Peeve is Back Box Glare . On STERN Light TUBE I cover with white freezer paper no fire in over 12 years. Spike 1 & 2 I do the same . I wish I had an TAF as I could really give detailed advice . I have done 14 full LED conversions . I don't always use 100% LEDs For ST:TNG I used combo of CoinTaker ( Comet ) was not around back then. Warm White mini's and cool white mini's . Slow fade Super Brite flex color changers with a flex extension behind the Borg Ship and the Track Beam . On the bottom of the back Box the crew is wearing (red shirts) . LED's did not do well I kept the (original bulbs) there. Monster Bash I used CoinTaker Cool white Mini's and Yellow or orange behind Frankie and ran a Green Super Brite Flex to the Castle window . And Pink Super Brites Flex to Hi-Lite the pink art in the Translite . Blue behind the giant rock speakers. Call Melissa and tell her you are sending the kit back and she should give you credit and hand pick you own LED's for your custom TAF from her inventory . In think some Purple LED's my look cool along with CoinTaker Minis . Good luck and get creative these are cheap .
    https://cointaker.com/t/mini

100_0101 (resized).JPG100_0101 (resized).JPG
    100_0104 (resized).JPG100_0104 (resized).JPG
    100_0103 (resized).JPG100_0103 (resized).JPG
    100_0055 (resized).JPG100_0055 (resized).JPG
    100_0052 (resized).JPG100_0052 (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago

Does your kit have all the super bulbs ? I bought a backbox kit from them and it was all super bulbs and i didn't like how it looked.I sent them back and they replaced the super bulbs with mini bulbs . That was the only kit i ever bought they just don't work for what i like

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from pintime:

Does your kit have all the super bulbs ? I bought a backbox kit from them and it was all super bulbs and i didn't like how it looked.I sent them back and they replaced the super bulbs with mini bulbs . That was the only kit i ever bought they just don't work for what i like

I confess, I don't know the difference between super and non-super. I got #4 on this page:

https://cointaker.com/products/copy-of-3-1993-indiana-jones-led-kit-w-frosted-leds

Why it's under an IJ URL, I don't know.

#9 6 years ago

One question not looked into for your post, is your Translite.

TAF Translites had some aftermarket ones made, that are thinner in material and white backing.

A 1 SMD 5050 Bulb, like you received in your kit, might be "brighter" and wash out the art,
    then the same bulb would show on an original translite.

Step 1, is to determine which version you have, to know what bulbs are best.

Posting a picture, might help.

If its the White in the lightning area that bothers you, one can mix warm, sunlight,
    or even a few purple or orange to taste,

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from jecase:

I like Comet warm white frosted.

+1, the cheap ones work good for me and are not as bright as the non-ghosting. On my Black Knight back box I just didn't put all the lights back in, I would say maybe 50-60% in and am happy with the results.

#11 6 years ago

I don't know if I'd recommend them for the backbox since they dont come in a frosted, but the most incandescent-like light of the many I've tried are actually the ablaze 3-led WW. I only use them where you can't see the bulb though because they have no dome. I also usually have to order more than i need because there are always a few that are either too cool or just a sickly yellow, but they usually they have a great glow and decent brightness.

My second choice for the pf is the Comet 2Led WW, though you might want to move up to something brighter like the 5050 for the backbox.

#12 6 years ago

I just went through almost every warm white bulb from CT, pbl and Comet on my em.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-playball

Post 13.

They ALL are different. I only liked the CT Frosted Warm White. I would suggest doing what I did, buy 3-9 per kind to sample, so you can put them in a few areas and get an idea of what looks good. Many are way too bright, white or yellow. I wanted a incandescent look and while NONE provide the exact look, the CT Frosted WW was the best I found.

#13 6 years ago

I know the original post is about back box, but for inserts make sure you get non-ghosting depending on the era of your machine. Makes a HUGE difference. I bought a LOTR with standard comet LEDs. The ghosting inserts were driving me crazy. Swapped out with Cointaker premium non-ghosting and looks fantastic. I've never ordered Comets, but Cointaker's have ALL worked great for me.

#14 6 years ago

This is exactly why I don't like kits. You never get exactly what you want, plus the price of the kit is outrageous compared to just buying a bunch of bulbs. Luckily in your case it sounds like you're pretty happy with the result, but I'd just go buy some warm white LED's. You'll be happy with the color of them I promise.

1 week later
    #15 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

One question not looked into for your post, is your Translite.
    TAF Translites had some aftermarket ones made, that are thinner in material and white backing.
    A 1 SMD 5050 Bulb, like you received in your kit, might be "brighter" and wash out the art,
    then the same bulb would show on an original translite.
    Step 1, is to determine which version you have, to know what bulbs are best.
    Posting a picture, might help.
    If its the White in the lightning area that bothers you, one can mix warm, sunlight,
    or even a few purple or orange to taste,

Finally posting an image of my translite. Hadn’t heard back from CoinTaker before I ordered some sunlight frosted from Comet. I have to say, the sunlight frosted look AMAZING! My biggest objection on the natural white was in the chandelier and the faces of Morticia and Gomez. Ultimately, I think I’ll go with a handful of the natural white (like for the lightning and a couple of the darker spots), with sunlight for everything else. CT did get back to me, apologizing for having been tied up with a show, which is understandable. They offered to swap for the warmer. But as I said, I’d already gotten the sunlight from Comet. I ordered a couple of the warm from Comet too, but it’s a little too yellow. Sunlight is perfect!

5CB0858B-45DC-4C7E-9416-731BA01CE26F (resized).jpeg5CB0858B-45DC-4C7E-9416-731BA01CE26F (resized).jpeg

#16 6 years ago

Thats good to hear!

Im glad you found a solution!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warm-white-led-upgrade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.