(Topic ID: 286520)

Warehouse project Police Force: 573, request backup!

By TwinCity

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DumbAss
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

police_force_interconnect.jpg
ICB resistor values (resized).png
ICB Front (resized).png
ICB front damage (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
F1 ADL fuse (resized).png
IMG-2722 (resized).jpg
IMG-2720 (resized).jpg
IMG-2708 (resized).jpg
IMG-2623 (resized).jpg
IMG-2607 (resized).jpg
IMG-2557 (resized).jpg
IMG-2550 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

A local collector was kind enough to part with a Williams Police Force. It had been stored in their warehouse for 15 years, and probably in another warehouse before that as they bought it in a 'bulk sale'. It's in pretty rough shape, but mostly complete. This is my first pin, and first pin project. I want to learn the hard way

Main issues: Playfield paint missing, bottom of main display and jackpot displays are out (there are white specks on them - outgassed?), spinner assembly missing, car not working, diverter error, main ramp in bad shape, interconnect board damage, CPU board damage

Plans: Address all main issues, custom LED's, NVRAM.. this won't be a "level 3" restore, but I want it to look good enough, and be fully functional.

I'm anticipating the most difficult parts of this restore will be the playfield paint, board work, and finding or machining a replacement spinner. I have not played the game yet because of the condition of the playfield. There is a layer of dirt on it, it has broken plastic laying around, and lots of areas where the paint is missing. It appears that the Mylar was previously removed. I know it will be a ton of work, but I'd prefer to restore the playfield myself, and 2PAC it. I'm in central Illinois, so I probably won't be able to work on the paint for several months due to the cold weather. I'm going to take everything off the top to see exactly what parts I'll need (lot's of missing hardware and some plastics), clean with Naphtha, wax, and reassemble so I can get everything else working.

The backbox key was broken off inside the lock, so I had to bend the plexi (did this originally come with glass?) to get it out. Somehow, I found the extra key on top of the playfield glass. I removed the broken key with two knives, fixed the lock mechanism as it was not connected, and made a copy of the key.

I'm a little hung up on order of operations. Should I work on the boards next? Where should I start?

Here are a few pictures showing the current condition. What do you think? Have you seen a playfield that was in worse shape restored with an airbrush and waterslides?

IMG-2550 (resized).jpgIMG-2550 (resized).jpgIMG-2557 (resized).jpgIMG-2557 (resized).jpgIMG-2607 (resized).jpgIMG-2607 (resized).jpgIMG-2623 (resized).jpgIMG-2623 (resized).jpgIMG-2708 (resized).jpgIMG-2708 (resized).jpgIMG-2720 (resized).jpgIMG-2720 (resized).jpgIMG-2722 (resized).jpgIMG-2722 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago
Quoted from TwinCity:

A local collector was kind enough to part with a Williams Police Force. It had been stored in their warehouse for 15 years, and probably in another warehouse before that as they bought it in a 'bulk sale'. It's in pretty rough shape, but mostly complete. This is my first pin, and first pin project. I want to learn the hard way
Main issues: Playfield paint missing, bottom of main display and jackpot displays are out (there are white specks on them - outgassed?), spinner assembly missing, car not working, diverter error, main ramp in bad shape, interconnect board damage, CPU board damage
Plans: Address all main issues, custom LED's, NVRAM.. this won't be a "level 3" restore, but I want it to look good enough, and be fully functional.
I'm anticipating the most difficult parts of this restore will be the playfield paint, board work, and finding or machining a replacement spinner. I have not played the game yet because of the condition of the playfield. There is a layer of dirt on it, it has broken plastic laying around, and lots of areas where the paint is missing. It appears that the Mylar was previously removed. I know it will be a ton of work, but I'd prefer to restore the playfield myself, and 2PAC it. I'm in central Illinois, so I probably won't be able to work on the paint for several months due to the cold weather. I'm going to take everything off the top to see exactly what parts I'll need (lot's of missing hardware and some plastics), clean with Naphtha, wax, and reassemble so I can get everything else working.
The backbox key was broken off inside the lock, so I had to bend the plexi (did this originally come with glass?) to get it out. Somehow, I found the extra key on top of the playfield glass. I removed the broken key with two knives, fixed the lock mechanism as it was not connected, and made a copy of the key.
I'm a little hung up on order of operations. Should I work on the boards next? Where should I start?
Here are a few pictures showing the current condition. What do you think? Have you seen a playfield that was in worse shape restored with an airbrush and waterslides?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Holy smokes that board has a hole burned right through it!! That’s junk. You can buy replacements from K’s Arcade, or Pinball Basement or others. Not super familiar with Williams so not sure which board this one needs. Someone will chime in.

I wouldn’t recommend 2PAC on a playfield, it will come out like garbage. Seen it myself, some guy was selling a project he tried “restoring” himself and it was horrifying. Williams spinners are easy to find replacements. Marco, Pinball Life (PBL) or Pinball Resource (PBR) should have them.

Displays probably don’t work because the board has a hole right through it. Typically the bare minimum signs of life are that the General Illumination turns on. If the playfield lights flash sequences then the game is booting but no way in hell that thing will in a state like that.

The areas of wear should be easily covered by a water slide. I’m sure someone has it already made on the Police Force owners thread.

#3 3 years ago

There is a clear coating thread here.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club

Check your fuses before anything else. That was probably overfused at some point to be that badly damaged.
Try DumbAss or Pinball Basement for a replacement.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs

Good luck!

#4 3 years ago

This company also makes Williams boards.
http://pinballpcb.com/

#5 3 years ago

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions! I was really hoping to repair the board, as I know it's partially working. The game does turn on, and seems mostly functional going through the tests. It'll buff out, right?!

If I do need to replace the interconnect board, I'm a bit worried about what caused it to burn in the first place. What would cause this and how do I make sure it doesn't happen again?

I will start to pull boards this weekend to clean up and at least test all the fuses, and install NVRAM. Do I need to worry about replacing caps or rebuilding the PS? I'm planning on installing LED's (I heard that I should leave the flashers incandescent?)

#6 3 years ago

I would slow down on plans to install NVRAM and LEDs until you get the game up and working.

You probably need a new Interconnect board and that MPU will need some acid remediation attention first. All things considered it looks like a decent project if you are willing to put in time and effort. The spinner assembly will present a challenge to find so you may need to get creative, but the game will play without it.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

I would slow down on plans to install NVRAM and LEDs until you get the game up and working.
You probably need a new Interconnect board and that MPU will need some acid remediation attention first. All things considered it looks like a decent project if you are willing to put in time and effort. The spinner assembly will present a challenge to find so you may need to get creative, but the game will play without it.

Good call, I will hold off on NVRAM/LEDs for now. I've played Police Force on location without a spinner but I'm determined to have one, and willing to make it if necessary.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

This is good advice. Get to a known good baseline before making changes. Otherwise you will not know what changes caused what. Reduce the number of variables. If you do want to make changes then make the change and then test to make sure nothing else was broken in the process.

Quoted from boscokid:

You probably need a new Interconnect board and that MPU will need some acid remediation attention first.

Not all the boards in that machine are original to the machine. The sound and power supply boards are original to the machine. The CPU came from Taxi and the interconnect board came from a "Bally" branded System 11. The auxiliary power board has no identifying marks on it.

The interconnect board is typically NOT interchangeable between machines without changing the value of the flash lamp resistors (the big cement resistors in the middle of the board). Incorrect values can cause incorrect visual effects. I have bare (blank) or complete (fully assembled) interconnect boards available if you need one. If you do choose to purchase one from a merchant make sure that the board has resistors with values that are correct for Police Force. I believe all of them should be 1.5 Ohm @ 5W resistors. If you search for a used interconnect board be aware that early revisions of the interconnect board do not have the 4N25 optocoupler for the switch 12 (column 1 row 2) feedback into the switch matrix and those boards are not compatible with Police Force.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

The CPU came from Taxi and the interconnect board came from a "Bally" branded System 11.

Interesting!

Quoted from DumbAss:

I have bare (blank) or complete (fully assembled) interconnect boards available if you need one.

Thank you, sending PM

#10 3 years ago

I pulled the interconnect board (ICB) today and noticed something interesting... it's from The Bally Game Show I saw the date stamp on the board and noticed it was after Police Force production ended, so I Googled the part number on the board (D-12313-2003). DumbAss already pointed this out, but I thought they meant in general, and not for this specific game... I still have a lot to learn.

#game-show is a System 11C game, but from my research, I think Williams used the same ICB for all System 11 games after Swords of Fury (D-12313-XXX), with different resistor configurations. Not sure if this explains the board damage, or if it was already damaged before it was swapped in. I still need to check the resistors.

The 4 fuses on the ICB were all 250v 5A and had continuity, but one does have some type of damage inside the glass.. and it's an ADL fuse (normal blow if my Googling is correct, which I don't think should matter - it should blow sooner than SB, right?). Just curious, anyone know what ADL stands for?

I attached more pictures of the damage to the front and back of the board, as well as the ADL fuse.
F1 ADL fuse (resized).pngF1 ADL fuse (resized).pngICB Front (resized).pngICB Front (resized).pngICB front damage (resized).pngICB front damage (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#11 3 years ago

Here are the ICB resistor values as tested:

R1 - 5.2 ohms
R2 - NO CONTINUITY
R3 - 5.1 ohms
R4 - 5.2 ohms
R5 - 11.3 ohms
R6 - 5.3 ohms
R7 - NO CONTINUITY
R8 - NO CONTINUITY
R9 - 11.4 ohms
R10 - NO CONTINUITY
R11 - NOT INSTALLED
W11 - 0.3 ohms (W11 NOT MENTIONED IN MANUAL)
W12 - 0.2 ohms
R13 - 1.54k ohms
W13 - NOT INSTALLED
R14 - 3.33k ohms
R15 - 3.21k ohms

Can anyone confirm that the manual is correct?

ICB resistor values (resized).pngICB resistor values (resized).png
#12 3 years ago

Manual appears to be correct for this game. The Williams manuals have errors in them and the interconnect board resistor values are known to be problematic as well as the fuse list for the auxiliary power board.

Ignore W13. R13 and W13 are overlapped and if R13 is installed them W13 cannot be installed.

police_force_interconnect.jpgpolice_force_interconnect.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.00
Hardware
Tucson Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warehouse-project-police-force-573-request-backup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.