(Topic ID: 176434)

Warehouse Find - Carlisle, PA - Lots of pins for sale shortly - NEW BETTER PLAN?

By too-many-pins

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 513 posts
  • 192 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 97 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“How to list these machines for sale?”

• "Fair Price" and disclose all information when I am ready 111 votes
    38%
  • Lower starting price - add list and prices tomorrow and who ever makes best offer by 1/6/17 gets each machine 31 votes
    11%
  • Stop posting - end this thread and just list each for sale one at a time in the market 79 votes
    27%
  • Other - and if you vote for other make post with suggestions 5 votes
    2%
  • List these somewhere like eBay with auction style format and let buyers determine what each is worth 17 votes
    6%
  • Post on Craig's List 3 votes
    1%
  • Post on Facebook 1 vote
  • You should have never bought them all in the first place 9 votes
    3%
  • Shut up and go away 39 votes
    13%

(295 votes)

This topic is closed.

There are 513 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.
#201 7 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Sounds like you know how to wheel & deal. One thing i have learned in life is Antique dealers will not budge on prices. Good luck on your find sounds like your going to have your hands full.

Pinball isn't work it is fun!

Maybe it becomes a little work after moving a couple dozen machines but I don't let that worry me. I love to drive so the road trips are no issue, I don't mind a little hard work so that isn't an issue. But I do hate waiting around for people so that is what will likely be the hardest part for me. But I figure I'll toss a project in the corner of the garage and get something done while I am waiting around and all will be good.

As far as prices - anyone that knows me knows I am fair but firm on my prices. Unlike most antique dealers I don't put double or triple what something is worth on it and have it sitting around for years. Other than spending time with my wife chasing deals is one of my favorite pass times and I can't chase deals if I am sitting on stuff trying to milk every dollar out of it. Some of the local guys know me as "the guy who will buy anything - buys high and sells cheap - etc". Not a great business model but I do try to make life fun! Pinball is a hobby - I am not trying to get rich with this stuff I am just trying to have a little fun and make people happy.

#203 7 years ago

FYI - I voted for "should have never bought all of them in the first place" but things have changed in my life recently and we have gotten distracted from fixing up machines. I can't undue buying them but I can undue sitting on them until I have time to work on them.

For the person that answered "shut up and go away" thanks - that is what I am going to do right now. Have a good night!

#204 7 years ago

It looks like 2 people voted that , i voted STOP THE THREAD and sell one at a time.

#205 7 years ago

skip;

in addition to pinball, I recently starting hunting the classic arcade games I grew up with in the 80's. I know pinside is all about the pinball, but I now have a ms. pac man and a galaga machine. I want to add more. so I know the video games are way down your list, but before you leave them to whoever that other guy is, I would love to add some of your find to my collection. I know you have a crap ton of stuff to do with all of this, and that arcade games aren't high on the list, but just letting you know there are a few of us here that cross back and forth from pinball to vids.

I have subscribed to the thread as well. enjoy the holiday and the family time as much as possible brother.

#206 7 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Maybe some flippers sneak in there, maybe not. If it's all Pinside guys, maybe he'll be able to sniff them out before selling.

Nothing wrong with buying something and selling it for more. Isn't this essentially what the OP's doing as well? At 50 or 60 machines, I'm guessing he'll be sick of it all by the end.

Quoted from shirkle:

I like the original system of whoever emails/PMs first. I'd love to buy a game for my tiny collection and another to put in the lunchroom at work, but if I miss out because I'm slow to email or someone just beats me to it, then I guess the stars just weren't aligned for me. I think that's how it should be. No BS, just straight up first come-first served.

I understand this. I don't like to try to beat other people to a deal. Maybe I'll just wait till things are less hectic and get one of the leftover games at the end.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you corning the market on Stars?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

#207 7 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

CLIMB INTO MY SHOES AND SEE IF YOU WOULD POST PICTURES YET. I asked people in my first post please do not PM me about these and yet I have gotten over 50 emails so far in less than 2 days. What do you think would happen if I posted pictures and people actually knew what titles I was selling?

If I were in your shoes, my mouth would have been sealed until what I wanted was securely in my basement. After that, pictures, prices or auctions. No drama.

But hey, enjoy sifting through the mess of emails and deal hounds.

#208 7 years ago

I have one suggestion: Make an announcement of what time and what date you are going to put up your list. Then everybody can be ready. Like a wild animal waiting for dinner to die, we can sit and can be logged into Pinside, have an email window open and already addressed to you. And as soon as your post comes if we see that pin we want we can have an email on the way in 10 seconds or less.

I know it sounds hokey, but everybody that is interested will get to peek at the same time.

#209 7 years ago

Good lord... as much as I get where the OP is coming from, and respect his position, and am thankful for his willingness to do right by the community at large... and of course, I want to politely "queue up" as it were...

Man, this whole thread seems like one pending dumpster fire. Is it Black Friday? Feeding time at Jurassic Park? Did someone flick the Blue-Light Special light in the garment district? Did an armored truck tip over? The tripping and scheming and begging and salivating and such is not fortelling anything other than "no good can come from this", despite the noblest of intents.

I mean you have people trying to camp out to flood the inbox when the list is posted. Others trying to get group buys across the country. Others speculating the list to be unveiled. Others playing the local angle. Others advocating "first with the cash / highest offer / quickest take...." And so many can't help themselves, on the off chance that the friendly ask or PM or public post might get them a lucky "in".

GadZeus man, this is madness!! People are going to get burned and cry foul no matter what.

So why not try and equalize it to random but equal chance? Everyone understands a lottery. So post your list of machines and asking prices. People can pick their top 3 or whatever number machines and submit that over some timeframe. Say you post the list on Wednesday and close the entry on Saturday. That gets rid of the campout factor to give more people a reasonable shot.

Prices are set fixed at a price you deem reasonable enough to make you whole. That cuts down on bidding and scheming.

Folks then enter up to "X limit" drawings of what they can afford. Popular titles will of course draw more entries and have lower odds of winning, less popular titles will have better odds. So folks might enter accordingly.

You pick a random-draw winner for each machine.

Same person cannot win more than once per round of listed machines.

Winners have a time frame of _____ to pay for and collect their machine. If they do not meet this arrangement, the machine goes up for grabs again in the next round.

Seems simple to me and hopefully fair as it keeps prices flat, keeps people on a level playing field, gives everyone a chance to see and prioritize what they want, keeps any one person from hogging the loot, and indulges a bit of competitive spirit and chance, which is natural to pinball.

Just a thought...

Thanks for offering the opportunity though, in whatever format it takes!

#210 7 years ago

Wow...

At first this was looking like it might be a fun and interesting thread... Until the Piranha feeding frenzy... I feel sorry for the OP..

#211 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Maybe I'll just wait till things are less hectic and get one of the leftover games at the end.

I'll caravan with ya. My big guns will still be there. Haha

#212 7 years ago

A quick plug for the seller. Skip has been good to me as a seller over the years, he sold me the 3rd and 4th pins I ever owned. I had planned on only buying one pin from him, but his prices were fair and the second machine played well. As a seller he was honest and straight forward with any issues that he knew about the machines.

In hindsight, I am sad I let both of those early pins I bought from him go. Though they were cosmetically worn, they both played well and the repairs/shop job Skip had done to them was excellent. Those two machines need no major repairs the entire time I owned them. Now after owning over 40 pins, many of which seemed to chronically break, I can appreciate what a nice job he had done finding and fixing the problems in those two machines

Skip, I wish you the best with the sale. I hope you and the family have a great Christmas and New Years.

#213 7 years ago

Good morning guys. I like some of the suggestions I have been getting and also like some of what I have seen from poll results and both have given me some great ideas on how to proceed. Since I originally said I was going to list machines in groups of 10 to 14 and first person to email about each and could get here in a timely manor would have first shot at that game I am still going to try that on the first group of machines. If it works out OK I'll keep doing most of the machines that way but since only about 1/2 the people who answered the poll thought that was the best method of selling I might also try listing some in the marketplace here and maybe on a few other try something like the hidden auction (best off before?/??/???? date) or lottery system.

For the most part I know what the popular titles will likely be and I have already had over a dozen emails about titles like: Doctor Who, Whirlwind, Elvira, and even some of the early 1980's Bally titles. So instead of using my first plan on those titles it might make more sense for best offer by a date or the lottery system on those. My issue with the lottery system, if I go that direction, is some people might think I played favorites with that so I don't know if that will work. This is sending me in the "best offer by a time and date" direction on those - but my issue with that is then those titles will likely go for more than I really want out of them and it goes back to the guy with the deepest pockets wins. This really isn't about getting the most money it is about getting machines to people like me who will love them and sometimes just can't afford higher price machines.

Keep the suggestions & votes coming. I am really trying to keep as many people as possible happy here. I know there is no perfect way to do this and I know some people are going to be unhappy regardless of what happens but I really am trying my best to figure out how best to get machines to people who will love to get them.

As far as hoarding - that was never my plan things just ended up going that direction when we stopped having time to fix machines up but I still kept buying. And as far as me being a "flipper" - I am - but I can tell you for a fact EVERY dime of profit from flipping went back into the pinball hobby. With limited resources it was - and still is - the only way I could afford to be in the hobby.

And to make one other thing perfectly clear I am not planning on getting away from the hobby. I will continue to look for and buy machines and even have some other deals in the works right now. I just know I need to scale back the bulk some, get away from some of the storage unit rent, and get things back to a "rational level". Since I have always treated both buyers and sellers fairly I get emails and calls almost every week with people looking for titles or looking to sell machines. Originally I was like everyone else mostly chasing a deal on Craig's List, Mrpinball, here, and on eBay. But over the past few years I have made so many friends & great contacts I don't do things that way anymore. For the most part machines I buy come to me by people contacting me when they have something for sale. Treating sellers right when buying has paid huge dividends and I am sure it will continue to pay off.

OK - I think this will likely be my last long post on this thread because in an hour I am headed to get the stitches out of my mouth and hopefully after that I'll be able to get back to work. Keep the post coming and I'll check in when I have time but for now the next long post from me will likely be on 1/5/17 around 7PM with the list & prices of the first 12 or 14 machines in the garage.

THANKS GUYS (and girls) !

#214 7 years ago
Quoted from mg81:

A quick plug for the seller. Skip has been good to me as a seller over the years, he sold me the 3rd and 4th pins I ever owned. I had planned on only buying one pin from him, but his prices were fair and the second machine played well. As a seller he was honest and straight forward with any issues that he knew about the machines.
In hindsight, I am sad I let both of those early pins I bought from him go. Though they were cosmetically worn, they both played well and the repairs/shop job Skip had done to them was excellent. Those two machines need no major repairs the entire time I owned them. Now after owning over 40 pins, many of which seemed to chronically break, I can appreciate what a nice job he had done finding and fixing the problems in those two machines
Skip, I wish you the best with the sale. I hope you and the family have a great Christmas and New Years.

Thanks! You have a GREAT Christmas also! PM me when you have a chance and let me know how the little ones are doing. If I remember correctly your oldest should be old enough now to be a handful. I think last time we talked she was just over a year old and the second one was on the way.

And if you have the space we will have some nice stuff leaving Carlisle. You have seen some of the stuff in the collection and 90% of it will be gone in about 3 months. But beyond that some of the projects I have sitting are top shelf stuff. After 9 years of buying and selling and trying to keep the nicest stuff it is time to let most of it go.

Happy New Year!
Skip

#215 7 years ago

FYI - I voted for "should have never bought all of them in the first place" but things have changed in my life recently and we have gotten distracted from fixing up machines. I can't undue buying them but I can undue sitting on them until I have time to work on them.
For the person that answered "shut up and go away" thanks - that is what I am going to do right now. Have a good night!

In situations like these it is really a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't and having been in a similar position as yourself after coming into possession through importation of a large bulk lot of machines I thought the same as you and decided to offload the surplus at close to cost price locally.

In my case after the machines quickly had financial "dibs" allocated to them and the abusive/hostile emails started rolling in from those who missed out it does leave a somewhat sour aftertaste to what I thought should have been a positive experience. Not saying it will happen here, but the blood is already in the water now and with that the potential for a frenzy may well be the result.

My advice would be to let things settle down for a while and then conduct it all privately on your own terms rather than doing ad hoc updates on the fly and that way you can a exercise a much greater level of control of the entire process itself. If you try to please every single request that lands in your inbox in the interim you will just end up going around in circles and tearing your hair out.

Protip: Holding deposits will streamline the process and distinguish from those who just want to look at a bunch of pics.

#216 7 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

In situations like these it is really a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't and having been in a similar position as yourself after coming into possession through importation of a large bulk lot of machines I thought the same as you and decided to offload the surplus at close to cost price locally.
In my case after the machines quickly had financial "dibs" allocated to them and the abusive/hostile emails started rolling in from those who missed out it does leave a somewhat sour aftertaste to what I thought should have been a positive experience. Not saying it will happen here, but the blood is already in the water now and with that the potential for a frenzy may well be the result.
My advice would be to let things settle down for a while and then conduct it all privately on your own terms rather than doing ad hoc updates on the fly and that way you can a exercise a much greater level of control of the entire process itself. If you try to please every single request that lands in your inbox in the interim you will just end up going around in circles and tearing your hair out.
Protip: Holding deposits will streamline the process and distinguish from those who just want to look at a bunch of pics.

Been there and done that before and that is what I am trying to avoid this time. So that is why I am trying to keep things simple for me this time around. I fully expect the fallout in the end because everyone thinks they are "special" for some reason. When selling like this - to be "fair" in my eyes NO ONE is special. I love my pinball friends and I hope all of them can understand why I can't put them first. But if they can't understand that then they were really not friends anyway.

I hate deposits - I am a man of my word and expect the same out of people I deal with. So for those picture collectors & others who think you will have me jumping through hoops for you it isn't going to happen. First guy who sets an appointment for a title will get it - if he doesn't show up on time with cash I'll move to the next guy in line. With around 60 machines for sale that are 100% for sure and likely an additional 60 (or more) to sell shortly I just don't have time for games.

Lloyd (coinopwarehouse) sells machines with no pictures - or maybe one picture - and has been doing it that way for years. I am heading down the same path - I will give you a full and accurate description of each machine when I list them but I WILL NOT be sending 100's of pictures out of each machine. If that is what you are looking for you will have to shop somewhere else. Guys - I am not trying to be a hard ass here but you have to realize the amount of time this is going to consume even without pictures. And I have lots of other stuff going on in my life beyond pinball so my time is limited.

Hopefully everything ends up well in the end but if not by the end of this I'll know who my true friends are. And those will be the guys that will hear about the next deal first. Like I said earlier I am not going anywhere so this will give me a chance to figure out who should get the call when I get the next group of machines. Keep that in mind if you plan on trying to drive me crazy or want to cry to me because you didn't get a machine you wanted. People who work with me this time around will be the people I contact in the future when I have excess machines.

OK - Off to the dentist I must go! Wish me luck!

#217 7 years ago

Lloyd (coinopwarehouse) sells machines with no pictures - or maybe one picture - and has been doing it that way for years.

Yeah but he also requires deposits especially from new buyers. Also his descriptions are pretty liberal with the condition of the machine which isn't a problem for the most part because his prices are so low.

Your intentions are good and your reputation sounds good but it may be best to approach this like a CL listing. Set pickup times with the buyers and hold them to those times or they lose the chance to purchase. If you try to please everyone either you or a buyer is gonna be disappointed.

If you're worried about flippers (which I'm not), set your prices a little higher. They still might buy some games but not as many.

#218 7 years ago

I understand the "get away from the storage unit rent" and your thought there. I collected antique furniture years ago, went to auctions etc...In 2000 I put a bunch of things in a storage unit thinking, Ill get to it in the next year or so. Well, It's all most 2017and.........it's all still in there!!!!!! Packed to the ceiling, and I have since moved 3 states away! Now, I dread the day that I can get back there and go through it. There is some good stuff in there, but now I don't have the room or time to get to. Still paying rent though! I could have thrown everything away and been further ahead!

I get where your coming from on that part of it!!! Time flew by and someone else needs to enjoy the stuff as soon as I can get to it!

#219 7 years ago

I ran into the postmaster at our local post office this morning while getting coffee. I asked him how things were going this morning and he said it's a total shit show at work.

Made me think of this thread and what it's going to be like once the pins are for sale.

Personally, once you have the pins, I'd post a for sale ad on Craigslist. First come, first served. I don't know how you could do it any other way. Otherwise, you'll get an email that says, I'll take it but can't come until tomorrow. Tomorrow will come and he won't show. Now what do you do? Or, the guy shows and thinks the game is worse than he thought and offers you less. I predict this will happen many times. This whole process will drag on for days, weeks and maybe months.

#220 7 years ago

Hey, I agree with everyone that this is a catastrophe waiting to happen. You obviously like to converse, and enjoy sending texts and talking about pinball - but you should simply post for sale stuff in the classified section and do away with all of this "pomp and circumstance." It's fun to discuss your amazing find, but keep it simple - post them for sale, and let buyers buy. Keep this thread for discussion about what trips you've taken to get the pins and what happened during the trips (DON'T mention the pins by name, save that for when you put them up for sale).

Good luck!!!

#221 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

This whole process will drag on for days, weeks and maybe months.

Not with the offer I gave him.

#222 7 years ago

Off to the dentist I must go! Wish me luck!

Good luck at the dentist!

I know you're up to your eyeballs in pinball talk, but did the seller have any video games in the lot? Based on the era of pinball games you're getting, it's the exact era of video games I'm interested in. Just asking for down the road when you're done with the pins (which from the sound of it, could be 6-12 months). But, hey, I wanted to get my name in there first!

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
[email protected]

#223 7 years ago

God luck at the dentist Skip! Even though I didn't follow directions and pm'd him immediately Skip took the time to respond back promptly and politely. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

#224 7 years ago

Yeah, the fairest method is just say "Open for Business" at a time and place. The truly motivated will be there cash in hand. First person with enough cash wins, no need to get into bidding wars.

#225 7 years ago

Why is there a poll? I thought you had a price in mind for each game and on Jan 6 were going to list the 12 games and first emails have dibs. Seems pretty simple to me. I think everyone should just come back on Jan 6 and check it out.

#226 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Not with the offer I gave him.

I've been where the op is a few years ago. Me and a buddy had to sell 21 games we bought from an operator. Thankfully, our local retail guy bought 14 of them because it took us maybe 2 weeks to sell the other 7 on Craigslist.

#227 7 years ago

Post a date, time, and location.... have your own little auction. If you are serious... you show up. That satisfies your locals angle.

If it doesn't sell, put up an ad and take them in order they come in.

I really think you are setting yourself up for some unnecessary pain because doing things based on timing, but no money, no photos, long distance, etc... your just going to end up with so many variations.

People who want to buy Ned to put up or shut up. You don't want to deal with everyone's excuses x 50...

#228 7 years ago

Anyone else skipping a lot of the posts because TL:DR?

No idea why this thread was even created before the games were in hand and ready to be sold?

And doesn't Pinside require Marketplace ads for games? Seems like each game should be listed in the Marketplace first anyway and then let people PM to buy like any other for sale ad.

And totally LOL at the people from WI and other far away states begging to "come help" take away them all at once because for "the love of pinball and getting them into the hands of the impoverished pin collector".

#229 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

for "the love of pinball and getting them into the hands of the impoverished pin collector".

I had to laugh at that myself.

#230 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

And totally LOL at the people from WI and other far away states begging to "come help" take away them all at once because for "the love of pinball and getting them into the hands of the impoverished pin collector".

Well...in their defense, those people do make cheese and brats for a living.

#231 7 years ago
Quoted from joemagiera:

Good luck at the dentist!
I know you're up to your eyeballs in pinball talk, but did the seller have any video games in the lot? Based on the era of pinball games you're getting, it's the exact era of video games I'm interested in. Just asking for down the road when you're done with the pins (which from the sound of it, could be 6-12 months). But, hey, I wanted to get my name in there first!
Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
[email protected]

the very first post mentions pins, jukeboxes and arcade games. and there have been a couple of us that have mentioned interest in the arcade games throughout the thread.

#232 7 years ago

I agree. And auction would be the quickest way to sell all of them at once.
You could hold an event on a specific day. Everyone that shows up will get a fair shot at getting games they want.

#233 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

No idea why this thread was even created before the games were in hand and ready to be sold?

Exactly this.

#234 7 years ago

Um, will there be a police detail in the street to deal with the hysteria taking place? This is turning comical. I would have waited until I had a list of "for sale" items to begin this thread.
One other option is to take offers on each machine within a certain time period. High bidder takes it. AS IS !!!

Best of luck with the sale. Too bad no EM's are included.

#235 7 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

Um, will there be a police detail in the street to deal with the hysteria taking place? This is turning comical. I would have waited until I had a list of "for sale" items to begin this thread.
One other option is to take offers on each machine within a certain time period. High bidder takes it. AS IS !!!
Best of luck with the sale. Too bad no EM's are included.

Just got back from the dentist and he gave me the OK to move machines & stuff around so I'll be working on getting the garage ready shortly.

As far as "a list" it will happen on the 5th of January. But remember it will not be a "full list of all machines just the 12 or 14 in the first lot". Then once enough of those are gone I'll fill the garage and start over again. I am hoping for a new list about every two weeks but that will just depend on how fast machines are sold and picked up. Also I am involved with major renovations at my other sons house in NJ so there will be a few gaps in selling this Spring while I am working on his house. (There is life outside of pinball for me so pinball can only consume part of my time).

As far as EM's - there will likely be plenty of them also. Just later on because of the way I have stuff packed in storage and the order I'll be bringing stuff home from the warehouse find.

It will be later this evening before I post again. I really need to get some work done now!

#236 7 years ago

Id like the Quicksilver please

#237 7 years ago

The only problem I see with a public auction is the original seller might feel ripped off if he sees the prices of what the games bring. It's better to keep the sales private but I think I would do first come first served. Only save a game for someone if they are on the way or put down a deposit. If someone is serious enough about the deal, they will do one of those two things.

#238 7 years ago

So, I'm following this thread, but it seems that there no cohesive plan yet. Are we all waiting till Jan 6?

#239 7 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

So, I'm following this thread, but it seems that there no cohesive plan yet. Are we all waiting till Jan 6?

yes

#240 7 years ago

Thanks! I think that's getting lost in the thread.

#241 7 years ago

Sorry for the pm earlier. I am following this thread. Thank you for all you do for the pinball community.

#242 7 years ago

Hope the dentist visit goes well. Otherwise you will have a pain in your head to go with the pain in your ass.

#243 7 years ago

I voted "other" in the poll and here's my general idea for how to list and sell the games:

Compile your list of titles and the prices you think are fair and want to sell them at to keep with your original idea of being kind to the community with great prices for semi-project machines. Once you have that list, post it and tell everyone that you're accepting PM's to be put into groups based on title, i.e. there are 5 people that want one particular game, 12 people that want another, and maybe even only one person that wants one particular game. Either way, start a list of who wants what titles. Then, simply put all those names into a hat a draw one. The thing is, you have to have the people who want a particular game be willing to make the trip, regardless of distance, even if it means they only get one game. Also, with the possibility of someone getting multiple games, they need to be sure that they can afford to buy all the games they put their names behind and also to be able to haul that many games at once(some people can only do one at a time, some can only do two, etc.) if they get multiple games. Doing so will limit the number of games someone puts their name behind, potentially giving others a better shot at getting something.

Then, once you've got the titles and all the people who want each of those games, you draw for who gets the game. This way you keep to your original idea of keeping the prices reasonable so that all have a chance. If you did an auction style of any kind, best offer or otherwise, there's an excellent chance those out there that aren't as well off as others won't be able to get any game at all. Plus, the potentiality of one person buying them all exists, too. While that might make it easier for you to do just one deal, it doesn't really fit too well into your idea of getting games out into the community, into people's hands who want to fix up a game for themselves, but aren't as "liquid" as some others in the pinball community. Plus, the last thing you want is for one person to buy 20 games and put 19 of them in storage for years and years. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Well, this is just a general idea of how you might be able to get the games out there fairly and to keep the prices where you had intended originally. You can do with this info what you want. It's not really fully thought through as I just came up with it just now. I'm sure it could use some refining, but the spirit of it is to keep the prices low and to get as many games into as many truly willing hands as possible.

#244 7 years ago
Quoted from Slim2013:

Id like the Quicksilver please

Shut up. I want a Quicksilver, too.

#245 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I voted "other" in the poll and here's my general idea for how to list and sell the games:
Compile your list of titles and the prices you think are fair and want to sell them at to keep with your original idea of being kind to the community with great prices for semi-project machines. Once you have that list, post it and tell everyone that you're accepting PM's to be put into groups based on title, i.e. there are 5 people that want one particular game, 12 people that want another, and maybe even only one person that wants one particular game. Either way, start a list of who wants what titles. Then, simply put all those names into a hat a draw one. The thing is, you have to have the people who want a particular game be willing to make the trip, regardless of distance, even if it means they only get one game. Also, with the possibility of someone getting multiple games, they need to be sure that they can afford to buy all the games they put their names behind and also to be able to haul that many games at once(some people can only do one at a time, some can only do two, etc.) if they get multiple games. Doing so will limit the number of games someone puts their name behind, potentially giving others a better shot at getting something.
Then, once you've got the titles and all the people who want each of those games, you draw for who gets the game. This way you keep to your original idea of keeping the prices reasonable so that all have a chance. If you did an auction style of any kind, best offer or otherwise, there's an excellent chance those out there that aren't as well off as others won't be able to get any game at all. Plus, the potentiality of one person buying them all exists, too. While that might make it easier for you to do just one deal, it doesn't really fit too well into your idea of getting games out into the community, into people's hands who want to fix up a game for themselves, but aren't as "liquid" as some others in the pinball community. Plus, the last thing you want is for one person to buy 20 games and put 19 of them in storage for years and years. Kinda defeats the purpose.
Well, this is just a general idea of how you might be able to get the games out there fairly and to keep the prices where you had intended originally. You can do with this info what you want. It's not really fully thought through as I just came up with it just now. I'm sure it could use some refining, but the spirit of it is to keep the prices low and to get as many games into as many truly willing hands as possible.

What you are talking about is basically the lottery system and the issue I have with that is some people with think I played favorites.

From what I am seeing with my survey and after giving this lots of thought my plan is to stick with my original plan for now. Post a list of first 12 or 14 machines - first one to email about each gets first shot on each. If you happen to be the first email you will have 48 hours from the time we talk to pick up the machine. If you can't or don't do that I'll move down the list to the next person who emailed about it and so on. I feel bad about the 48 hours window but this can't drag out for months because I have lots more machines to pick up and I need a place to go with them. If you have a good distance to travel I will try to work with you but for now I want to say 48 hours to pick them up once we finalize things.

List will be posted around 7 PM on Thursday January 5th. Shortly before I post the list I plan on posting the full story how we got to where we are at today with these. It will help explain a lot to those of you who don't know our story. I figure that way as you are reading the story you can just keep hitting refresh on your computer to be one of the first people in line for a given title.

Good progress was made this afternoon and I had a great conversation with my warehouse seller today also. So lots of progress is being made so far and future loads are in the works!

For you guys interested in arcades - I'll post about those as soon as I know more.

#246 7 years ago

How about posting a list of all the games, or a good selection of them first. Then post your lists as you create them to sell and we will then what to hold out for if we want too.

#247 7 years ago
Quoted from Slim2013:

How about posting a list of all the games, or a good selection of them first. Then post your lists as you create them to sell and we will then what to hold out for if we want too.

That wouldn't be a bad idea except for two issues. First issue is I don't have any idea what all will be coming back with me when I pick up the next load from the warehouse find guys storage unit. And secondly - I then would have people asking me how soon will you be listing each game - etc.

Since some machines are buried 8 or 10 machines deep in my storage units, some machines are buried behind other stuff in my basement, some are buried 350 miles away in storage units involved with this most recent deal, and some are in our collection I really don't even know for sure myself how soon I might be able to get to some of them.

Here in Central PA we have to deal with snow and ice a good bit and once we have snow or ice on the ground I'll be limited as to what I can get from the basement to the garage because I have to come up a hill on the side of the house. So weather could also dictate what gets sold when.

Right now I wish I had access to a huge building that I could just put everything in and get it all sold at once. But since I can only get a dozen or so machines into a location I know for sure they will be able to be picked up once sold it limits how I can do things. Our garage is only so big so I am limited to the size of the garage and that is what is going to make this process kind of tough. Especially if people don't get here quickly so I can get the next load underway once first group of machines sell.

Hopefully everyone reading this post understands how hard this is going to be regardless of how I do it. And winter weather isn't going to make things any easier. So all I can do is the best I can and see where things end up. Once some are sold off and I gain back the space I need maybe taking a lot of them to the shows this Spring, Summer & Fall will be the answer. I'll know more once we see how things go with the first group.

I don't want to keep posting because about 10% of the people who voted voted for me to "just shut up" but I do want to try to reply to questions when people ask them. Any suggestions?

#248 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

The only problem I see with a public auction is the original seller might feel ripped off if he sees the prices of what the games bring

Then they could have sold it piecemeal by themselves. The whole reason people score warehouse raids is because you 'take the lot' and free the owner from dealing with it. Be it time, effort, or whatever... the original owner is selling in bulk and knows with common sense they aren't getting optimal dollar compared to selling piecemeal.

Sounds like the owner is getting more than they normally would anyways. Warehouse junk is more junk than gems.. its why they are in the warehouse to start with.

#249 7 years ago

Is there going to be a limit on how many games 1 person could buy? 3 games per loti understand that but can the same guy buy 3 games per lot every time? I appreciate you spreading the wealth with games and I appreciate everything that you are doing. This is a big task to take on and a lot of work for you on the front end. A great person on the community of pinball. Thanks for what you are doing.
Lemank

#250 7 years ago

I am always looking for games to add to my collection, and would love to have the chance to buy some of these games, but I think you should do whatever is best for you.

There are 513 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warehouse-find-lots-of-pins-for-sale-shortly-no-list-yet/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.