(Topic ID: 176434)

Warehouse Find - Carlisle, PA - Lots of pins for sale shortly - NEW BETTER PLAN?

By too-many-pins

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 513 posts
  • 192 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 97 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“How to list these machines for sale?”

• "Fair Price" and disclose all information when I am ready 111 votes
    38%
  • Lower starting price - add list and prices tomorrow and who ever makes best offer by 1/6/17 gets each machine 31 votes
    11%
  • Stop posting - end this thread and just list each for sale one at a time in the market 79 votes
    27%
  • Other - and if you vote for other make post with suggestions 5 votes
    2%
  • List these somewhere like eBay with auction style format and let buyers determine what each is worth 17 votes
    6%
  • Post on Craig's List 3 votes
    1%
  • Post on Facebook 1 vote
  • You should have never bought them all in the first place 9 votes
    3%
  • Shut up and go away 39 votes
    13%

(295 votes)

This topic is closed.

There are 513 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 11.
#151 7 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I asked people in my first post please do not PM me about these and yet I have gotten over 50 emails so far in less than 2 days.

I did not see this and I PM'ed you, so I apologize. However...

First email about a title gets first chance at it, and so on.

Well...I was first about the machine I specified. So I win.

#152 7 years ago

Quoted from too-many-pins:THE WAY THE GAME WILL BE PLAYED IS:

#153 7 years ago

For the sake of clarification, are you looking for these "top 3 list" emails right now or should people be waiting until you start posting lists? I don't want to wait and be last in line but I also don't want to add to the piling on that seems to be taking place.

#154 7 years ago

yes, this seems unclear. So does the game start when the list is revealed? I don't want to PM, because I know how annoying it can get.

#155 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I did not see this and I PM'ed you, so I apologize. However...

Well...I was first about the machine I specified. So I win.

Don't worry - you are far from the only one. It is sooooooooooooooo hard trying to do this in a "fair way" --- I have a good many past customers, friends, and people I have purchased from in the pinball community who I feel I really would like to give first shot at some of this stuff but that wouldn't be fair to everyone else. I even have a couple buddies that I had lined up to split the deal with me that I can't even work with without playing favorites. I know some of those guys will be upset with me but I want this to be a level playing field so NO ONE will jump in line in front of anyone else.

My son will be picking the games he wants to keep and the rest will be sold. I was planning on keeping a couple of my favorites but I have even decided against that. I figure some day what is mine will become my sons so why not just let him pick the machines he wants to keep right off the bat.

#156 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yes, this seems unclear. So does the game start when the list is revealed? I don't want to PM, because I know how annoying it can get.

awe crap. Maybe I did not understand the rules to the game. I already PMd with my top 3 titles of interest.

#157 7 years ago

Any bingos in the bunch?

#158 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

"Houston we have a problem" if any of you younger guys don't remember this it was from the earlier NASA days. Anyway - in my "this is the way the game will be played" post I said something that has raised an issue and several questions. I am not looking for your "wish list" right now - that would be nearly impossible for me to keep track of. Once I post a list of games I want your wish list from that group of games ONLY.

SORRY ABOUT NOT MAKING THAT CLEAR!!!

And to any of you that have already PMed about something don't feel bad it is all good! I have no problem answering a few emails but I will not make side deals or release names of games ahead of time regardless of our past history. Several of you have a good idea what is in my collection but no one knows what I have added from this warehouse deal or other purchases over the past few months. And no one really knows what I'll be selling or keeping (including me --- because I have not got a list from my son yet).

#160 7 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Any bingos in the bunch?

Only one at this point but I don't know what all is in the warehouse deal yet.

#161 7 years ago

Only one at this point but I don't know what all is in the warehouse deal yet.

Thanks.

#162 7 years ago

I have been answering emails pretty much non stop since I posted this and I really need to get started getting stuff moved around and getting the garage cleaned up a little so I have to get to work shortly. I'll try to get a quick reply off to everyone that has emailed so far but I will not be able to keep answering emails if I ever expect to get machines ready to go.

One thing I realized today is there is going to be a "smarter way" to do the first load. Instead of me moving everything out of the garage to put machines back into the garage it is going to make more sense for me to just keep the machines in the garage that are already in their and will be for sale. After looking around all but one or two machines in the garage will be getting sold anyway and it might even end up being all of them once my son finally decides. So the "first group" will be a mix of: working projects, finished machines we never listed for sale, and projects. Price range will likely be $750 to $1500 each depending on title (with one or two running a little more or less but the average range will be in that 750 to 1500).

I talked to my son a little more today and I think we might be able to get this party started sometime during the first week of the New Year. Without saying 100% for sure I am going to try for posting the first list (likely 14 machines) on 1/5/17. That way we all can have a day or two to recover from New Years Eve and also it will be close enough to the weekend that anyone that can only come on the weekend still could be "first in line" for a machine or two.

#163 7 years ago
Quoted from yfz450:

Skip,
I'm the guy that bought that Sorcerer. I fixed the problem it had, stripped and cleaned the playfield and sold it to my buddy that wanted it really bad for the same price I got it from you. Talk about mistakes! He later sold it for twice what I sold it for....uggggh! I picked up an Excalibur from you the same day, still have that one and that isn't going anywhere.
I plan on getting a few pins from you as soon as you get a list together.
Joe

Joe,

I know the feeling! I was always a little sorry I sold that Sorcerer and I did the same thing with a Grand Lizard. But to be very honest I regret selling pretty much any System 11 I have ever owned except for Jokerz. For some reason Jokerz never did anything for me?

A little hint to you guys reading this post - I like Data East & Williams System machines the best of any pinball I have ever played so guess what there will likely be a lot of in these groups of machines!

#164 7 years ago

A little hint to you guys reading this post - I like Data East & Williams System machines the best of any pinball I have ever played so guess what there will likely be a lot of in these groups of machines!

Game Plan and Allied Leisure, since you'll be hoarding keeping all of the DE and Williams?

#165 7 years ago

What in the wide wide world of sports is this thread supposed to be about?!

Post a list of games with prices. I can't believe there's four pages of this nonsense.

I'll take three Stars and a Black Knight.

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Post a list of games with prices. I can't believe there's four pages of this nonsense.

you corning the market on Stars?

#167 7 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Game Plan and Allied Leisure, since you'll be hoarding keeping all of the DE and Williams?

You took the hint backwards!

Since I like those machines I have been "hoarding" them for years. Now it is time to let them go. Even if I did keep one of each of the System 11 and Data East games I own (but I wouldn't have room to do that) I would still have plenty of them for sale. Some titles I have as many as 3 or 4 of so I will not run out of Williams or Data East stuff early in the game. I also tend to "like" hoard early 1980's Bally machines so I should have a good many of those for sale also. For all of you Gottlieb guys - sorry most Gottliebs just are not my thing but I do have a couple dozen of them to be sold also. A few of each: System 1. System 3 and System 80

#168 7 years ago

You took the hint backwards!
Since I like those machines I have been "hoarding" them for years. Now it is time to let them go. Even if I did keep one of each of the System 11 and Data East games I own (but I wouldn't have room to do that) I would still have plenty of them for sale. Some titles I have as many as 3 or 4 of so I will not run out of Williams or Data East stuff early in the game. I also tend to "like" hoard early 1980's Bally machines so I should have a good many of those for sale also. For all of you Gottlieb guys - sorry most Gottliebs just are not my thing but I do have a couple dozen of them to be sold also. A few of each: System 1. System 3 and System 80

why no talk of zaccaria? This is what I want to see you say. I also have a good number of zaccarias and no interest in those, so those will be for sale as well.

#169 7 years ago

Disclosure - I live in Alabama and don't plan on buying from you because of distance and timing. You probably realize you shouldn't have made this thread yet, but I understand your excitement.

If you try to please everyone then you are going to have a mostly negative outcome. You absolutely should sell to locals you know personally first as long as they are paying the prices you are asking. You have opportunity now to still restructure how you are selling. Any strangers that are on the internet and not OK with that are just being selfish and worried about themselves. Don't burn bridges trying to be Robin Hood. Just make sure you are doing what is best for you.

#170 7 years ago

... I am going to try for posting the first list (likely 14 machines) on 1/5/17.

Gonna be a lot of thread refreshing that day!! Any tips for the average joe with a day job as to what time we should be on the lookout for the list reveal?

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

After a lot of those and talking things over with my son, daughter-in-law & wife we decided it would make sense to let the pinball community know there was going to be a HUGE LOT of machines coming available early next year. Originally I was going to wait and just post everything once I had the first load in the garage but the more I thought about it the more I thought it would be nice to give everyone a little notice what was going to happen here in Central PA early next year.

If I had the space I would just put a list of 50 or 60 machines up and the first guy who emailed about each would own it but with 5 storage units full and only room for about a dozen machines in the garage where I can actually show them to people I needed to come up with a "good way" to sell them. I know this plan is far from perfect but with everything considered it is the best plan I could come up with.

I also considered putting a list and pictures up and selling machines to people who made the best offer on each and I know doing that would net me more money. But my interest is getting as many machines to as many different people as possible at a "fair" price. Not start bidding wars over a title - not selling everything to one person - etc. I think what I am doing is going to give the most people a chance to grab a machine or two and I know there will not be a couple people bidding prices up on some games.

To me this is my way of trying to keep the playing field level for everyone. Maybe it isn't the best way but it is the best I could think of. Hope this helps to explain everything.

Something I have not talked about much in recent post is we have gotten away from the original post. The 50 or 60 machines I will be listing now are not from the Warehouse Buy - these are "our machines". As long as that warehouse deal comes together as planned that will be an additional 50 or 60 pinball machines as well as parts, jukeboxes, and 1980 arcade machines. So this is likely just the beginning! Pinball in Central PA might get very interesting in 2017. And what is crazier yet is I am still buying so who knows what else might be coming in this direction.

And none of this will be touching my Allentown load already set aside for that show. That is mostly project EM's but if I remember correctly there is also some earlier SS projects in that load. I must have lost my mind! I didn't realize how crazy things had gotten until my trip south this past weekend!

#172 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Gonna be a lot of thread refreshing that day!! Any tips for the average joe with a day job as to what time we should be on the lookout for the list reveal?

I will likely decide right after the first of the year if we are ready to post the first list on 1/5/17. Trying to be "fair" and knowing a lot of people have day jobs I'll likely post the list right around 7PM Thursday night 1/5/17. I will not just post it without a warning - but I likely will not disclose the "exact time either" to keep it a fair playing field.

Guys - if any of you have a "better idea" how best to do this let me know and I'll consider it. Again my goal is not the most money it is to give the most people a chance at a machine they might want at a "fair" price.

Also - suggestions on how and where to post pictures would be great. I have not decided yet if I'll just post a list of machines with descriptions & prices or if I will try to do pictures also. Pictures will be tough regardless of how I do them so right now I am thinking just description and then send first person on the list pictures via email before they drive here to pick up or look over the machine. Somehow that just seems easier but I don't know for sure.

I am going to limit the number of pictures I take of each machine to just a few. Maybe 3 to 5 or something. Otherwise that could get crazy also. As far as pictures go I am thinking one good shot of the playfield, a good shot of the machine overall and then a couple close up shots of any issues I see with each machine?

#173 7 years ago

Ok, that gives a more clear perspective of the situation, just as long as you are doing what is best for you.

#174 7 years ago

Well, I already mentioned the pins I'd be drooling...er, looking for.

Honestly, it sounds as your already getting plenty of interest in this. Maybe after your deal gets clearer and things settle down some I'll poke you with more questions. Good luck!

#175 7 years ago

I'm one of those guys you speak of when it comes to not having deep pockets. Would love to add a couple more reasonable priced machines to my collection. Looking forward to the list and thank you for doing it the cool way.

#176 7 years ago

Gonna have to live vicariously through most of you guys over on the east coast for this one. Should be fun, though!

I'm sure once you publish the list you'll have no problem selling everything off to nearby Pinsiders, but keep in mind that it'd be pretty easy to do a group sale to a west-coaster and load up a small container to ship across country. I'd imagine you could get 20 or so in a small container. It'd make shipping pretty cheap when spread out among so many machines. Just a thought...

#177 7 years ago

CLIMB INTO MY SHOES AND SEE IF YOU WOULD POST PICTURES YET. I asked people in my first post please do not PM me about these and yet I have gotten over 50 emails so far in less than 2 days. What do you think would happen if I posted pictures and people actually knew what titles I was selling?

I kind of ask myself the same question about why the thread exists.. I get being excited about it.. but if you start a thread about all the games you are going to be selling.. and have no info about it... it seems pretty premature.

#178 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I kind of ask myself the same question about why the thread exists.. I get being excited about it.. but if you start a thread about all the games you are going to be selling.. and have no info about it... it seems pretty premature.

I started this thread to let people in our area know they might want to consider trying to set aside a little cash if they are thinking about buying any pinball machines in the near future.

I do not want to disclose much information at this point because Christmas is just a couple days away and in our family the week between Christmas & New Years is family time not time to be dealing with dozen of emails about something that will be for sale or is for sale.

But I mainly started this thread because I had a little time to kill over the past couple days due to dental surgery Tuesday and I knew once I was able to get back to work on getting things ready to sell I wouldn't have time to reply to dozens of PM's.

So if you are interested in knowing more there will be plenty of information posted shortly after the first of January. If you are not interested - move on and let it go. This is a post about dozens of pinball machines that are coming up for sale on a pinball forum. Isn't that what a pinball forum is actually for?

#179 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

PM sent per your request.
I hope to hear back from you.
cheers

I think he meant when the list of what's for sale is posted, not now.

#180 7 years ago

From what I gather you are trying to spread the pins around to normal guys instead of the flippers. I don't think that's possible with any kind of "whoever emails me first" situation. The flippers know how to play the game, they invented it on Craigslist. They have software to see an ad 2 seconds after it's up. Many have crazy schemes with multiple email addresses to trick sellers or screw with sales that other people are trying to make. It's a big, dirty, clusterF for the most part and the same tricks will be attempted with you if someone thinks they can figure a way to make a buck.

If you really want to spread it out I'd suggest a lottery system of anyone who messages you within 24 hours on a particular title. Limit the games any one person can have and don't charge low enough prices for the games to be flipped.

#181 7 years ago

But I mainly started this thread because I had a little time to kill over the past couple days due to dental surgery Tuesday[

I'll blame the drugs then

This is a post about dozens of pinball machines that are coming up for sale on a pinball forum. Isn't that what a pinball forum is actually for?

Sure, but you can't be surprised about which way it's gone given the conversation and details...

#182 7 years ago

Guys - if any of you have a "better idea" how best to do this let me know and I'll consider it.

Wait until you have a complete list of games, descriptions, prices and photos before announcing it, then you will avoid all the PMs and questions and save yourself a lot of time and headaches

#183 7 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Wait until you have a complete list of games, descriptions, prices and photos before announcing it, then you will avoid all the PMs and questions and save yourself a lot of time and headaches

I could make things very simple and just put a list up of everything in the garage tomorrow with "starting price" and say "who ever makes me the best offer by 1/6/17 will own each of them as long as they are picked up by 1/15/17" that would be fine with me. I am sure I would make out much better this way if you guys would rather play the game that way. But getting the most money for me isn't really want I care about. I would really prefer just getting a "fair" price out of each machine and to get each machine to someone who will enjoy it.

Give me some feedback on that idea and maybe I'll head things in that direction?

#184 7 years ago

OK - I added a poll to see what people watching this post say

#185 7 years ago

I could make things very simple and just put a list up of everything in the garage tomorrow with "starting price" and say "who ever makes me the best offer by 1/6/17 will own each of them as long as they are picked up by 1/15/17" that would be fine with me. I am sure I would make out much better this way if you guys would rather play the game that way. But getting the most money for me isn't really want I care about. I would really prefer just getting a "fair" price out of each machine and to get each machine to someone who will enjoy it.
Give me some feedback on that idea and maybe I'll head things in that direction?

Nah. Don't let us bunch of dinks bully you around. Just do this the way you want to. I liked the idea of trying to sell to regular people giving them the chance to get games at fair prices. Stick with what your guts tell you. That way you will meet a bunch of great people and have a bunch of fun stories to tell. Enjoy it.

#186 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Nah. Don't let us bunch of dinks bully you around. Just do this the way you want to. I liked the idea of trying to sell to regular people giving them the chance to get games at fair prices. Stick with what your guts tell you. That way you will meet a bunch of great people and have a bunch of fun stories to tell. Enjoy it.

Meeting people is the fun part for me. I love buying - being "fair" with sellers - and sharing stories with them.

I love selling - being "fair" with buyers and sharing stories with them.

But most of all I love bringing broken machines back to life. My issue the past 3 years is I just have not had time to do that as often as I wish I would have.

#187 7 years ago

Meeting people is the fun part for me. I love buying - being "fair" with sellers - and sharing stories with them.
I love selling - being "fair" with buyers and sharing stories with them.
But most of all I love bringing broken machines back to life. My issue the past 3 years is I just have not had time to do that as often as I wish I would have.

Breath of fresh air, right there... I like it.

#188 7 years ago

I vote other. Sell me a rare package of three, i get to make a road trip down w the wife, we have fun shooting the shit, we are bothe happy, and you know they are going to another collector that will bring them back to life and likely share them. On route for others to enjoy

I callthat a win win win.

In reality just do what makes you happy and is the least stress.

#189 7 years ago

I like the original system of whoever emails/PMs first. I'd love to buy a game for my tiny collection and another to put in the lunchroom at work, but if I miss out because I'm slow to email or someone just beats me to it, then I guess the stars just weren't aligned for me. I think that's how it should be. No BS, just straight up first come-first served.
Maybe some flippers sneak in there, maybe not. If it's all Pinside guys, maybe he'll be able to sniff them out before selling.

All that being said, I already PMed him too

#190 7 years ago

I'd drive down from London for an Evel Knievel or Skateball. Sadly, I'll likely be at work when those get listed and lose to someone else.

#191 7 years ago

Hey girls & guys this has been a lot of fun for me over the past couple days and has really helped me not think about all the pain I am in with my dental mess. If you are younger all I want to say is take care of your teeth. And if you are older (like me) you likely already know what the pain from major dental work is like.

Stitches should come out tomorrow and then if the dentist gives me the OK I really need to get some work done. I will be hanging around here another couple hours tonight but after that I'll just be checking in on the post from time to time and be checking my PM's even less. If you do happen to read this tonight and have a question or two feel free to PM tonight but after tonight my replies to PM's and post will likely be very short and sweet.

Lots of work to be done and very little time before family arrives for the Holidays! But my biggest project is cleaning up the gameroom a little so we can play some pinball for the first time since last Christmas. That should be fun & I know somewhere under all the stuff there is also a shuffle alley and a Skeeball machine. The gameroom reminds me of owning a pool table - for some reason when it isn't getting used it gets piled up with junk.

#192 7 years ago

I still have that Bally head you gave me Skip for the very project EM Evil Knievel. I'm within' driving distance and would
love to upgrade that, or EM Cleopatra, EM Charlie Angels, ect. Maybe slim chance, but I've seen slimmer.. (T)

#193 7 years ago

Hey Skip, I'm the guy you specifically brought the Paragon to Allentown for. I want to thank you again for that game, it's been nicely touched up and cleared and has found its niche in my small collection.

I'll be watching with great interest, this good deed you're doing. Talk about Christmas spirit, you're about to spread tidings of comfort and joy to all the good boys and girls in this pinball hobby. I wish you all the best for a happy and healthy holiday season and 2017. No matter how you decide to sell these games, good luck to you and yours.
Scott in Connecticut

#194 7 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I agree, stop all of this until you get a list and decide what you are keeping and what you are selling! Also, if you are buying it all then I really don't understand when you say on the first load you picked up you where pulling games out of storage and passing on doubles? As to how to move them, your call as you are the guy putting down the cash and hauling them back into PA

#195 7 years ago

Following . . .

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

Hey Skip, I'm the guy you specifically brought the Paragon to Allentown for. I want to thank you again for that game, it's been nicely touched up and cleared and has found its niche in my small collection.
I'll be watching with great interest, this good deed you're doing. Talk about Christmas spirit, you're about to spread tidings of comfort and joy to all the good boys and girls in this pinball hobby. I wish you all the best for a happy and healthy holiday season and 2017. No matter how you decide to sell these games, good luck to you and yours.
Scott in Connecticut

Scott,

Glad to hear you got her fixed up the way you wanted. That machine was a great starting point to make something very special and that was why I really hated to let it go. But the more i think about things the more I have realized the "smart way" to enjoy the hobby is to only keep what you have the space for - enjoy what you have - and then switch things up by selling a machine once in a while and adding a different title. After seeing the stuff in that warehouse last weekend I quickly realized I was headed down that same path as the seller and decided it is time to make a change. What is the point of owning over 50 machines when you only have room for a dozen or so?

Have a Great Christmas and Safe & Happy New Year. If we don't see each other before be sure to stop by and say hello at Allentown. I'll be in the same two spaces again this year unless Ivan changes things around for some reason. The only difference this year will likely be that I'll park the trailer outside to give me more selling space. Between what I already own and what I am picking up I'll likely have a HUGE spread their this coming year.

#197 7 years ago

But most of all I love bringing broken machines back to life.

Sell me that project Dr. Who and I'll be sure to do just that .

Seriously though ... just sell them the way you want to sell them that makes the most sense for you and your family. Not everyone is going to be happy. Some people take this habit, sorry, hobby to an extreme ... and not in a good way. Brace yourself for that.

As others have mentioned, give your close family and friends first dibs, then expand to local sales. Target people in Pittsburgh specifically with a project Dr. Who .

If you post an offer sheet, you'll probably get a lot of people knee jerk offering you cash then backing out once they figure out they can't get there. You also run the risk of offering up package deals, then breaking those packages up if someone offers you more, etc. You'll also miss bids here and there. I wouldn't do that.

I'd just break the machines up into categories (working, mostly working, project, basket case, parts) and sell them accordingly at a fixed price. It'll be crazy and hectic no matter which way you slice and dice the problem ... just make sure you don't let people get under your skin if things don't work out for them. Make your first sales your test run. Maybe offer up 5 machines (your "bigger money" ones) after you take care of your local sales to family and close friends ... see how it goes with whatever method you choose, and adapt accordingly when you offer up the next batch. It's not like you *have* to sell all of these in some fixed time frame ... know what I mean?

I was going to suggest having an auction, but that could introduce a whole other set of headaches (hiring an auction house, paying commissions, taxes, people getting torqued over minimum bids, etc.) ... so forget that .

One final piece of advice ... you probably want to stick with one and only one place to advertise ... if you post on both Pinside and Craigslist, you run the risk of two people asking for the same machine. That's going to confuse you and the buyers. I think you'll have your hand full on Pinside. I'd stay here (even though I check out your area on Craigslist ) since you know you're dealing with mostly collectors and you'll know all of your inquiries are coming from one source.

Outside of your project Dr. Who, I'm waiting to see your project/basket case/parts piles . It's cool that you're doing this ... some people don't get to experience a sort-of massive sale like this ... it's almost like a warehouse raid ... those are fun .

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinsrgrt:

I agree, stop all of this until you get a list and decide what you are keeping and what you are selling! Also, if you are buying it all then I really don't understand when you say on the first load you picked up you where pulling games out of storage and passing on doubles? As to how to move them, your call as you are the guy putting down the cash and hauling them back into PA

For the most part I already know what I am selling I just don't want to release the list until I have the garage ready for people to come get the machines and I don't want selling machines to ruin Christmas week. It is the Holidays and we are talking about announcing I'll be selling in excess of 60 machines early in 2017 and somehow this is a bad thing? The list of the first 14 machines (as many as I can fit into the garage) will be posted in exactly two weeks. Wouldn't you rather know there are going to be 14 machines for sale in two weeks than to have someone post machines for sale and say "I wish I would have known about that I wouldn't have bought the new TV last week".

As far as "first load" we picked up - we drove 350 miles each way - moved almost 30 machines out of a storage unit and picked the 11 we liked the best which filled my van & trailer. When making a deal like this there is no guarantee the "second load" or other future loads will actually happen so we picked what we wanted most. I had to leave some great titles behind - not because I didn't have the cash along to buy them but because truck & trailer were full.

As far as selling the stuff I am just trying to figure out the best way to get as many people the machines they want at "fair prices". This is not going to be a "fire sale" I don't NEED to sell any of these. I just realized after looking at the warehouse sellers storage unit I didn't want to be him in 10 years. Why pay 10 years of storage rent just to sell machines off for about what the storage cost? So this week I decided to not only list and sell the machines I am picking up but I also decided to list and sell most of our collection due to lack of space to enjoy all of them.

Our plan is to pick EXACTLY 10 machines from what we just picked up or from our collection and keep those. (This is the number of machines we will have space for when we remodel the basement in 2017). Once we pick ours the rest of the machines will be sold. I can't give you an exact count at this point but I can say it will be over 50 this is NOT including the machines we still have to pick up from the warehouse deal. If we add those into the count I would say there will be over 100 machines total. And I might have more than that once I start looking in storage units at machines that could be parts machines or major projects. If I see some nicer stuff in my "parts machines" units I might offer some of those for sale as projects also.

#199 7 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

Sell me that project Dr. Who and I'll be sure to do just that .
Seriously though ... just sell them the way you want to sell them that makes the most sense for you and your family. Not everyone is going to be happy. Some people take this habit, sorry, hobby to an extreme ... and not in a good way. Brace yourself for that.
As others have mentioned, give your close family and friends first dibs, then expand to local sales. Target people in Pittsburgh specifically with a project Dr. Who .
If you post an offer sheet, you'll probably get a lot of people knee jerk offering you cash then backing out once they figure out they can't get there. You also run the risk of offering up package deals, then breaking those packages up if someone offers you more, etc. You'll also miss bids here and there. I wouldn't do that.
I'd just break the machines up into categories (working, mostly working, project, basket case, parts) and sell them accordingly at a fixed price. It'll be crazy and hectic no matter which way you slice and dice the problem ... just make sure you don't let people get under your skin if things don't work out for them. Make your first sales your test run. Maybe offer up 5 machines (your "bigger money" ones) after you take care of your local sales to family and close friends ... see how it goes with whatever method you choose, and adapt accordingly when you offer up the next batch. It's not like you *have* to sell all of these in some fixed time frame ... know what I mean?
I was going to suggest having an auction, but that could introduce a whole other set of headaches (hiring an auction house, paying commissions, taxes, people getting torqued over minimum bids, etc.) ... so forget that .
One final piece of advice ... you probably want to stick with one and only one place to advertise ... if you post on both Pinside and Craigslist, you run the risk of two people asking for the same machine. That's going to confuse you and the buyers. I think you'll have your hand full on Pinside. I'd stay here (even though I check out your area on Craigslist ) since you know you're dealing with mostly collectors and you'll know all of your inquiries are coming from one source.
Outside of your project Dr. Who, I'm waiting to see your project/basket case/parts piles . It's cool that you're doing this ... some people don't get to experience a sort-of massive sale like this ... it's almost like a warehouse raid ... those are fun .

Don't worry about me I have been buying and selling stuff since I was 12 and I know how some people try to play the game. I try to make life as much fun as possible - I try to treat everyone fairly - and my theory is the best deal is one where everyone wins. Once I figure out the "exact rules" anyone who wants to play in this game will be playing by my rules. My rules will be fair but I am not going to play games with buyers. Once I make a deal at a price the person I made that deal with they can own that machine. But for them to own that machine he will have to be here on time with CASH. If we start going down the path of "the flipper buttons don't match or I'll give you "XXX" for it" I will show you the door and move on to the next guy on the list.

My prices will be fair but firm. You will know the condition of the machine before you make the trip to come get it. You can back out if you don't like what you see but you will not get a better price regardless of what you say. Very simple rules to understand! And if you pass I am 100% sure the next guy will not. I have sold over 200 machines in the past 8 years and I have only had one guy walk because he wasn't happy with what he saw when he got here. But he really just came to try to beat me down in person when I turned down his low ball offer on the phone. As we talked he actually admitted he was heading right past my place and figured he would give it one last try in person.

#200 7 years ago

Sounds like you know how to wheel & deal. One thing i have learned in life is Antique dealers will not budge on prices. Good luck on your find sounds like your going to have your hands full.

There are 513 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 11.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warehouse-find-lots-of-pins-for-sale-shortly-no-list-yet/page/4?hl=niterider and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.