2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by imheretoo
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

#1 2 years ago

I talked to a good many people from Pinside at Allentown but for those of you not at the show that were interested in the warehouse deal I had going on back around Christmas time I wanted to take a few minutes and update things.

I was FINALLY able to hook up with the sellers nephew on April 8th and a couple more times in April and I got all the machines moved out of the first storage unit. I also made a deal with another guy on a bunch of machines around the same time. In the past month I managed to pick up about 70 machines total and of the 70 about 50 were worth trying to save so I took those to the Allentown Show this weekend and sold about 30 of them.

Since April 8th I have driven nearly 9,000 miles picking up machines, bringing them home, then moving them to a couple storage units in Allentown getting ready for the show. Being very honest - at this point I really don't know if it was worth all the work but at least a bunch of machines are now in the hands of people who will do something with them instead of them just sitting in storage!

Once the dust settles I'll be listing what machines didn't sell at Allentown here on Pinside (in the Marketplace) but the next few weeks I'll be busy with other stuff so it will likely be sometime in July before I have much time for pinball stuff (or sales). I have not decided yet if I am going to purchase the remained of the stuff from the seller or if I'll just turn the information over to Lloyd (coinopwarehouse). The issue with the next unit is a bunch of 1970's Jukeboxes are in the way of getting to the pinball and arcade machines and I just don't know if I want to deal with those. So after I take care of some other stuff I need to decide how to proceed with the next unit & stuff at the guys house.

Anyway - hopefully this thread will be OK with the moderators. I don't want to cause a bunch of drama again but I know a few people are truly interested in hearing the rest of the story.

Thanks,
Skip

PS - Another FANTASTIC Pinfest thanks to Ivan & his crew!

#2 2 years ago

I took the time to do the math last night and it looks like my original deal from Virginia is going to turn out OK but after the "dust settles" and I figure ALL cost on the second deal I am going to come up about $400 short on that one. So at this point I am planning on passing on the second part of that deal but I am going to try to finalize and finish my original deal in Virginia. That should include over 20 additional pinball machine plus about 20 earlier arcade titles.

I don't blame the sellers for the numbers not turning out better for me - the big issue is me using a smaller trailer & a 1/2 ton van to move the stuff home. Fuel cost for too many trips, motel rooms, time invested, etc just got out of hand. I looked into a rental truck from each of the "major" players and that would cost me even more than using my little trailer & van. If either deal was more local to me I could have sold the machines cheaper & still made a few dollars but with over $3000 invested in getting everything home the math just doesn't work so time to move on.

The next 6 or 8 weeks are going to be insanely busy for me but after I get passed that I'll start listing the rest of the machines in the Marketplace here on Pinside. I know some people are tired of hearing about all of this but some people were super interested in hearing the story so I figured I would post an update. If you are not interested it is very easy - no need for negative comments - just pass over this thread!

#3 2 years ago

Sorry the deal didn"t turn a favorable profit for you. (can't work for free, but most people don't understand that .) Looking ahead to see what you get in the future.

#4 2 years ago

Thanks for sharing the story. Any chance there's a Seeburg SMC3 Prelude in that storage shed?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Pappy2112:

Sorry the deal didn"t turn a favorable profit for you. (can't work for free, but most people don't understand that .) Looking ahead to see what you get in the future.

If either of the deals were local both would have turned out OK but since each was over 400 miles away (one way) transportation cost pretty much killed any profits for me. Since I am semi retired and don't need a lot of money coming in I don't mind working cheap but being on a fixed income I can't justify working my ass off for a loss.

I am hoping to finalize part two of the Virginia deal just before the York Show this Fall since seller is in no rush. That way I will not have as much storage cost here in Carlisle since some of the machines can go directly from VA to York Storage before the show. When working close on money the key is working smart and saving money where ever you can and that is what I typically try to do.

It has been an interesting experience and I am glad I did it but I really can't say it was worth it in the end. But I got over 70 machines moved from just sitting for years in storage into the hands of people who will do something with them. And in my eyes that was what it was all about to begin with.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Toucanf16:

Thanks for sharing the story. Any chance there's a Seeburg SMC3 Prelude in that storage shed?

From memory nothing like that in the bunch. They were mostly the lower late 1960's & early 1970's models no one wants.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

If either of the deals were local both would have turned out OK but since each was over 400 miles away (one way) transportation cost pretty much killed any profits for me. Since I am semi retired and don't need a lot of money coming in I don't mind working cheap but being on a fixed income I can't justify working my ass off for a loss.

It sounds like this was a major pain in the ass, all things considered.

If you had to do it over again, would you simply pass on this and pass it on to another collector who was closer to the stash?

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It sounds like this was a major pain in the ass, all things considered.
If you had to do it over again, would you simply pass on this and pass it on to another collector who was closer to the stash?

Kind of a long story - as most of my stories tend to be - but I couldn't pass the VA deal to anyone else since seller only wanted to work with me on that. We had past dealings and he said "you are the only one I trust to treat my uncle fairly" so I really wanted to help him out.

Where the problem came in is I was suppose to pick up those machines in March or early April and have them for Allentown but seller couldn't find time to hook up with me and decided to delay getting together until June. I already had my two spaces rented at Allentown and didn't have much to take. So I was in kind of a jam and second deal came along. I knew money was going to be close on that deal but at least I would be able to fill my space at Allentown so I went ahead with it. Then right after I made the second deal my VA guy got back to me and decided he could make time the first weekend in April. So instead of a shortage of machines for Allentown I had way to many.

So basically two deals with over 8600 miles of driving in 23 days wasn't my original plan - that was just the way things turned out. No regrets because I did accomplish what I wanted to do and got about 35 machines to people who will actually do something with them, 10 or 15 machines ready for the York Show (or to sell on Pinside) and some parts machines (to add to my parts inventory for eBay) as well as a couple machines heading into the collection. But it sure would have been nice if it wasn't such a rush in a short period of time to get it all done.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Kind of a long story - as most of my stories tend to be - but I couldn't pass the VA deal to anyone else since seller only wanted to work with me on that. We had past dealings and he said "you are the only one I trust to treat my uncle fairly" so I really wanted to help him out.
Where the problem came in is I was suppose to pick up those machines in March or early April and have them for Allentown but seller couldn't find time to hook up with me and decided to delay getting together until June. I already had my two spaces rented at Allentown and didn't have much to take. So I was in kind of a jam and second deal came along. I knew money was going to be close on that deal but at least I would be able to fill my space at Allentown so I went ahead with it. Then right after I made the second deal my VA guy got back to me and decided he could make time the first weekend in April. So instead of a shortage of machines for Allentown I had way to many.
So basically two deals with over 8600 miles of driving in 23 days wasn't my original plan - that was just the way things turned out. No regrets because I did accomplish what I wanted to do and got about 35 machines to people who will actually do something with them, 10 or 15 machines ready for the York Show (or to sell on Pinside) and some parts machines (to add to my parts inventory for eBay) as well as a couple machines heading into the collection. But it sure would have been nice if it wasn't such a rush in a short period of time to get it all done.

Did you at least cherry pick a few games for yourself for the trouble?

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Did you at least cherry pick a few games for yourself for the trouble?

We sold 53 machines from our collection to fund these deals and will end up keeping about 10 or 12 machines from these deals to replace some of what we sold. Once everything is sold I think the profits from part one of the VA deal should end up paying for two "B" or "C" list titles for us. We wanted to downsize our "project stash" and collection anyway so this gave us the push to do that to come up with funds needed to make these deals.

It is kind of hard to explain but the best thing to come out of doing these deals is it helped me realize having a "project stash" isn't really a smart thing to do. Machines we had just sitting are better off in the hands of people who will do something with them and these deals helped me realize that.

All in all it was a lot of work but I truly think it was something good for the pinball hobby as well as being a learning experience for me. So in the end I am glad I did it I just am not sure I would want to do it again!

#11 2 years ago

Now that you've had a chance to evaluate the NC deal. Have you considered offering the NC seller a number which does work for you? Say, 50% less and it's worth my time and effort. Just a thought, you can surely count on Lloyd offering pennies on the dollar. (not that he's wrong, that's just his business model)

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Billman:

Now that you've had a chance to evaluate the NC deal. Have you considered offering the NC seller a number which does work for you? Say, 50% less and it's worth my time and effort. Just a thought, you can surely count on Lloyd offering pennies on the dollar. (not that he's wrong, that's just his business model)

I don't give up easy so I will do all I can to make a deal with the NC seller when he is ready to sell to try to keep machines here in the US instead of watching Lloyd load them into containers and shipping them out of the country. I actually have a lot of respect for Lloyd and I don't blame him for what he does - he is a business with tons of business overhead - but I just hate seeing containers of machines headed out of the country.

I doubt if Lloyd would be able to make a deal with either of my sellers because they know what they want for their stuff and knowing how Lloyd buys I doubt his offer would even be close to what they are looking to get out of their machines. But there are other buyers that might be interested if I pass on either deal.

The nice thing is neither seller is in any rush so I have time. If they do get a better offer than mine - that is great for them and I would be happy for them - if not I will likely end up with a bunch more machines between now and York (or Allentown) and that is also OK with me.

As I have said all along this is more about getting machines to local buyers that will do something with them than about money to me so if there is a way for me to do that I will do it. As long as it doesn't cost me money I don't need to make a lot to be happy.

I know some people are sick of hearing about this and I fully understand. But I also know some people are truly interested and I like keeping them informed. I'll update this post once I know more but for now what is important is 35 machines that have been sitting in storage for over 10 years are now in the hands of people who will actually do something with them and more will be heading that direction shortly. And 50 plus machines from our "project stash" & collection are also being enjoyed. So since the first of the year I have managed to get over 75 machines to people who will enjoy them instead of those machines just sitting and that make me extremely happy.

#13 2 years ago

No disrespect directed at Lloyd. Best of luck with your efforts!

2 months later
#14 2 years ago

are there any further updates on this subject? Believe me, there are a few titles I would love to find as affordable projects to put some love and elbow grease into. Carlisle is only a couple hours away from me and Ive picked up pins there before. good experiences every time and I would certainly drive out there again.

#15 2 years ago

Still playing the waiting game with the Virginia seller on "Phase 2" of the deal. Basically I told him I wouldn't move machines during the hot Summer months - not because I am afraid to work in the heat but because overloaded vehicles & trailers tend to blow tires more often when roads are hot and I just don't need to be changing tires on the side of the road in July or August.

We are getting ready to take about a weeks vacation then as soon as I get home I'll start trying to finalize things with "Phase 2" with my Virginia seller so I can have machines moved home before the York Show - or at least that is the plan at this point.

As far as the NC seller - basically I'll told them to contact me when they have the next load ready. If the Virginia deal doesn't work out for September I'll contact the NC seller and see where things stand with him. Either way I already have plenty of stuff for York but until York is behind me I don't have the space to have people come to the house (or storage) to look at machines. Things are packed in so tight I can't even unload my hand trucks out of my van & trailer and I still have some stuff in the trailer from the Allentown Show.

As far as "what I'll be selling this Fall" some depends on how things go with the Virginia deal, some depends on what time I can find to move stuff around, and some just depends on what else I am involved with over the next few months. My life has been pretty INSANE in 2017 so the pinball stuff has been on the "back burner" pretty much ever since the Allentown Show was over. In fact I still have not even cleaned up totally from that show!

As always - sorry I can say more right now but I can say for sure I'll have at least a couple dozen machines for sale shortly. Thanks for the interest!

#16 2 years ago

Thank You for your quick reply.
If you happen to have a Freddy (this household loves Gottliebs, especially 80b and system 3s) or a Black Rose buried in there Id love to have a shot at them. Best of luck with your deals Feel free to P.M. me with project lists if they become available, there are tons of machines in my area but the deals on projects are very few anymore.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 89.99
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 499.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 18.99
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
$ 9.95
$ 59.99
Hardware
Chroma Pinball
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 129.25

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside