(Topic ID: 273972)

Wanting to build a virtual pin. I have no idea what I'm doing...

By snowy_owl

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by RatShack
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

So...
    I've decided to try building a virtual pinball machine. I've tried to make something through future pinball, but it's challenging, especially because I suck at writing script. Several of my friends have told me to use visual pinball instead. I downloaded the program, but it didn't (and still doesn't) work on either of my computers (Has anyone else had this problem?). So, I went back to future pinball and I continue to utterly fail. I encounter problems with both the script and the program itself. For instance, I can only make straight ramps. No curves. There's probably a simple solution to this, but I can't figure it out. I've tried everything I can think of. Anybody have tips? Should I try to go through with this? Or should I just give up?

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

Or should I just give up?

Please do.
    After tons of time, monies, and frustrations you'll end up with a virtual pinball machine; seems more like a punishment than a reward honestly.
    EDIT: It's actually more "fun" to play on something small like PSP than a big rig anyway

#3 3 years ago

I'd love to help you get started but the questions you are asking aren't really a quick answer type of thing.

Two things:
    - Sounds like you are talking about building your own table in virtual pinball (not build a cabinet). Two very different "Help me build" conversations.
    - You must get VP or Future pinball running tables BEFORE you try to build your own game. Trying to build a table with a load that is buggy will make your life a million times harder as you wont know if it was your code that bugged things out or just the foundation.

Are you looking to build a custom table or recreate an existing game? VP plays much better than Future Pinball IMHO but Future Pinball is much easier to design and script a game. VP has gotten better with some of it's build in modeling though but VP is more about recreations and utilizing the scripts in ROM and you just mapping switches, coils and lights to those inputs in the script. If you can't write your own code and I mean write it really good, stick to recreations first to learn the basics. Scripting a game from scratch is a MASSIVE learning curve.

My last suggestion. Don't come to Pinside for these questions. Pinside is a great resource for real games but not all that great for VP conversations. There are a couple VP guys/gals around here but few and far between. Go to a place like VPforums.org as that is where most of the builders and coders hang out. There are also resource videos to help with the basics of learning to build a game.

#4 3 years ago

[Deleted - bad response because TL:DR]

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanting-to-build-a-virtual-pin-i-have-no-idea-what-i-m-doing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.