(Topic ID: 183858)

Wanted: Zizzle or Sentinel games for high school project

By ThatOneDude

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#1 7 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Other items - wanted

Wanted: Zizzle or Sentinel games for high school project

Added: 2017-03-16 05:36:58 UTC • Ended: June 2nd, 2017

Price

Wanted

Wanted: Zizzle or Sentinel or other solid state pinball games in the San Francisco Bay area of California. Can be broken. I'm an engineering advisor helping to set up some pinball projects for high school engineering classes. Looking for small games that the kids can retheme and design control hardware for.
    Thanks!

Item photos

No images have been added to this ad listing yet.

No photos have been uploaded for this ad.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are ThatOneDude's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to ThatOneDude's stats page

Listing result

The seller marked this ad as "not sold". The item did not sell through Pinside so there's no listing result.

Item location

San Ramon, CA, US

#2 7 years ago

To explain a bit further, I've been asked to become an advisor for the engineering classes at a local high school. The staff was soliciting project ideas, and I suggested that pinball games can be an excellent mix of engineering disciplines. The teacher agreed and so now I'm helping look for machines. I suggested Zizzle and Sentinel machines because they tend to be less valuable, a little more simplistic and look easier for a small team of high school students to manage(not to mention the fact that I wouldn't wince at a kid gutting something like that). The students have a wide array of tools available(from CNC milling machines to 3D printers), so the idea is for them to build their own driver boards in conjunction with micro controllers and perhaps Raspberry Pi's for the more advanced kids. Eventually, we would like the kids to take a year designing a game from scratch.
    For those interested, the students are working on projects like this right now:

(That finger was a precursor to a full arm, which is now complete, controlled by a glove with flex sensors)

Anyway, if you have a machine like that that you wouldn't mind letting go for cheap to help us out, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

#3 7 years ago

Be sure to keep an eye on craigslist. In my area, it seems like a zizzle game pops up every few weeks.

3 weeks later
    #4 7 years ago

Just an update. I found one for $50. The power supply is torn up, and the pop bumpers didn't seem to work. The general idea now is to debug the bumpers, replace the buttons with real arcade buttons and then present the game to the kids along with some discussion of the way "real" pinball games work.
    Some future projects:
    1) Create new driver and control boards.
    - The kids are currently using Arduinos with custom shields(that they designed and built) for robotic arm controllers. I expect that it will be trivial for them to utilize Arduinos for this project as well
    2) Create a new theme
    - The only problem here is getting the kids to agree on a single theme. It seems that everyone has their favorite, so this might require some intervention to make sure it doesn't get stuck on the initial design phase.
    3) Building full sized custom games
    - The end goal here is for some of the more talented and driven engineering and art kids to collaborate on some full size custom games. They would start with milling out a playfield, after perhaps testing shots in a VPin environment. We could also work halfway and give them some populated playfields to start as well.

If the Zizzle modding goes well, I may end up picking up more for the beginning students to hack on.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanted-zizzle-or-sentinel-games-for-high-school-project and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.