Sorcerer (resized).jpg
100_4952 (resized).JPG
100_4954 (resized).JPG
IMG_9982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4175 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4176 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6595 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vicjw66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#214 10 years ago

Cool. I just learned my $175 Sorcerer which I bought at auction in 1997 is an early model.(It has the stainless steel coin door.) Man, I love this game but the playfield is in bad shape. If there is ever an 80's pin that deserves the HEP treatment this is it.

7 months later
#490 10 years ago

Is anyone selling the cabinet stencils? I sent my playfield out last week to John Greatwich and would like to paint the cab and stencil it while I await it's return.

1 month later
#537 10 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

For anyone doing a full restore on this game, I just ordered a new set of plastics for mine from PPS yesterday. Pick one up asap if you need one so you are ensured of getting a set. Never know when they may become unobtainium.

Just got my set. And it came with a bonus.

sorcerer plastics.JPGsorcerer plastics.JPG
#541 10 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

That looks rough to me. Ed

Yeah, but it looks pretty good compared to most Sorcerers I have seen.

#544 10 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

Here's my 1,300.00 one. Ed

Well I bet you could get him down to $800. $500 gets you a completely restored playfield. Your play field looks pretty good but your cabinet has issues. Who put all those drill holes in it and who painted the front of the cabinet black. I never understand why people paint over cabinet artwork.

image-638.jpg 416 KB

image-8.jpg 262 KB

image-896.jpg 359 KB

image-490.jpg 441 KB

image-445.jpg 391 KB

1 week later
#550 10 years ago

Got my cabinet stencils from Trilogy the other day. Thanks. Now it's time to sand and prep the cab. Hopefully I won't screw it up.

4 months later
#584 9 years ago

Are the 6's and 9's cutoff on the blue display or are they like the originals with tails?

5 months later
#613 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Is there still a rumor that CPR might do a run of Sorcerer playfields someday?

That rumor has been around for years with nothing yet to show for it. Even if they do eventually get around to it, it is at least several years out. Life's too short, send an old playfield to John for restoration like I did. You won't be disappointed. After I transfer everything from my old play field to the restored one I'll have a spare I might just send off to have done. I paid $150 for my spare btw.

1 month later
#641 9 years ago

My Sorcerer is back into the lineup. Playfield restore by John Greatwitch. Everything else by Fabulous Fantasies.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-317.jpgimage-317.jpg
image-16.jpgimage-16.jpg
image-873.jpgimage-873.jpg
image-957.jpgimage-957.jpg

#647 9 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

Are the parts highly polished or chromed?

Everything was chromed

#648 9 years ago

Sorry about the pics. Taken quickly with my cell phone in bad lighting. Haven't had much time to play it yet and make a few tweaks. The LEDs in the play field inserts look nice but a few are causing problems staying on when they should be off. I'll confirm with regular 44s. Maybe look into that led ocd board. The stickers don't stick to well and I prefer the red targets bare so they are coming off. Back in 1985 I played this game a ton. None of the Sorcerers I played had those stickers on the targets.

1 month later
#664 8 years ago

I actually had the cabinet professionally done after i bought the stencils. So if anyone wants the stencils, i have a set.

3 months later
#679 8 years ago

Just bought the led ocd from Herg. Out of the box it is a big improvement. Has anybody fined tuned Sorcerer with it? I havent tried any adjustments so far, but I can see that I will have to brighten the 10-20-50k drop target lights a bit.

#681 8 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

vic, can you give me some tips on how to LED my Sorcerer please? Should I color match the inserts or just go all white? I want to order Comet bulbs soon but don't really want to experiment with colors if someone has done it with success... Also, glad to know the OCD works with this machine. I will ikely add that as well in the near future!

I would not do leds unless you get the led ocd kit. System 9 doesnt like leds. Yes i color matched the inserts. I'll have to check to see what i used. I forgot.

1 month later
#689 8 years ago

Ringing that special bell by lighting sorcerer targets 4 times. Rings twice as long as extra ball bell. There's no lowering the volume on that bell.

2 weeks later
#712 8 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

gotta quit looking at this thread.. makes me miss mine

Mine is never leaving. Congrats on getting yours back together Mof.

#719 8 years ago

I wont be home until tomorrow, but if I recall, the left and right special switch back and forth but are never on at the same time. The 4th sorcerer doesnt do anything. The 5th sorcerer immediately rings bell and awards special.

#723 8 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

Whoever has LED'd their Sorcerer please chime in here. Does this machine exhibit the same LED ghosting issues as later sytem 11 games do? Do I need to get non-ghosting bulbs (or go the OCD route) if I decide to LED mine?

I put led's in mine and it looked bad and had major ghosting issues. If you go led than I highly suggest Hergs Led OCD board. Otherwise stay with incandescent bulbs.

#728 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I just got mine and this is a fantastic pinball machine, wow. I only had a few leds left from coverting Alien poker and tried them in the inserts, no need for non ghosting lights in this pin, the Comet fluted domes LED's look great in both the GI and Inserts. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Do you have problems with some of the insert leds staying lit when they shouldnt be? Especially extra ball, inlanes, and a,b,c,d. Since you just got yours it might take a little time to notice all the issues.

#729 8 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I believe he says that when you beat a high score.

Both.

#733 8 years ago

More pretty. At least lose the lock

#737 8 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

If you have inserts lighting when they shouldn't be, you probably have a bad transistor in the lighting circuit. I have a Comet that was lighting inserts when it wasn't supposed to. Tested the transistors, but didn't realize you had to have them out of the game to test. They are so cheap that you might as well replace them when you take them out.

Nope. Incandescents don't, just certain Leds. There are numerous threads regarding this phenonenom. Something to do with the small amount of current that leds run on. These old games were not designed with leds in mind. Anyway, Hergs Led ocd board fixes the problem.

#761 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

If you rebuild your playfield and wax it, and rebuild your spinner, and gently lubricate it with a few half drops of silicone... you may see what I am seeing... 80 revolution spins... Worth 200k in 'Sorcerer mode'
Of course I'm hoping to hit a few worth 1mil someday...
-mof

Wow, impressive. I had the problem of the spinner occasionally stopping the ball from going all the way up because the spinners were sticky. They wouldnt always come to rest straight up and down like they should, but sometimes at an angle. Just the wrong angle, around 45 degrees, would slow down or even stop the ball. The spinner has to be smooth enough that gravity will overcome any friction or stickyness to rest at 90 degrees. Oh and a little give side to side so it doesnt bind.

1 week later
#799 8 years ago

Do you have a pic with flippers up? I find it hard to trap if the ball goes down the inlane. But I have front legs almost all the way down and back almost all the way up and new clearcoated and waxed playfield.

1 week later
#806 8 years ago

I would suggest sticking with incandescents for gi. I tested a few leds in the gi and it looked bad.

2 months later
#859 8 years ago
Quoted from stirfry:

My first post on pinside - this community seems so friendly, it feels great to be a part of. I bought my first pin and it's a Sorcerer - love everything about it and it's my favourite pin. Just a quick question...I'm in Australia, and I need the drop target decals and the six stand-up targets above the letters
Came out to 51 dollars US for some stickers... Someone had created them themselves and you could print it out....where was that post again?
Thanks for any help you can give....

If you ask me, the game looks better without the decals, and they have a tendency to peel off. Back in the day, I never once saw decals on the Sorcerers that were on location. Heck, did they even come with them, or are these aftermarket?

3 weeks later
#916 8 years ago

Voted for cpr playfield.

1 month later
#963 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Has anyone tried out the padded target decals from eBay seller "top-notchtargetsheilds"? Looks like he makes them for a bunch of different games. Would be interested to hear about quality of the art, how they impact gameplay, and durability if anyone has tried them out.
ebay.com link » New For 2016 Sorcerer Pinball Machine Target Cushioned Armour

I can't imagine why anyone would want padded targets on Sorcerer.

3 weeks later
#983 7 years ago

Did it sound like the noise when you match?

3 weeks later
#1029 7 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

Read my post #1003....
I found the guy that does not like Sorcerer at all in any way...all his prerogative of course..

I just assume head trauma at an early age.

1 month later
#1116 7 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Hey John, have you considered selling the overlays?

I think a certain person whose name rhymes with dick would send a threatening cease and desist letter. Since these playfields are technically being repaired there is no copyright infringement. Selling the overlars separatly would be a problem legally for John and noone wants that.

3 weeks later
#1148 7 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I left incandescents for GI and flashers and color-match LED'ed all the inserts on the playfield. On the backglass I LED'ed all the GI bulbs with warm white and left the flashers and the animated bulbs that "ripple" on up to the dragon's head as incandescents. As previously mentioned, Sorcerer is a game where you want that candlelight effect, but full LED just killed that for me.

This. I also got the LED OCD kit to smooth it out and make the insert LEDs look more like incandescents. I dont really understand the fad of putting purple or blue LEDs in the GI of pinball machines, especially on a warm color pin like sorcerer. My optical glass just arrived after a 6 month backorder and boy does it look sweet. It really lets you see the playfield in great detail

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

4 months later
#1272 7 years ago

New high score. 13,325,760

IMG_0032 (resized).JPGIMG_0032 (resized).JPG
IMG_0038 (resized).JPGIMG_0038 (resized).JPG
IMG_0034 (resized).JPGIMG_0034 (resized).JPG

3 months later
#1362 7 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

Anyone want to photo document the lock hole gate on the left side, mine has been homemade since I have owned it.. I think it should be spring loaded and deliver the ball to the flipper?

What lock hole gate on the left side?

#1364 7 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

Sorry I meant the right, I need photo doc of the gate on the right..

Unfortunately I'm a 1000 miles away from my game for the next week. Hopefully someone can help out.

2 months later
#1412 6 years ago
Quoted from tominator:

looks like the piece is there...what extra piece are you referring to?

I believe that is a different Sorcerer showing the piece he is missing. When I get home from work I will look through my parts. I had some extra play field parts when I bought a semi populated playfield years ago.

#1414 6 years ago

Looked through my box of parts that the restorer gave back to me and it looks like he didn't give me back some play field parts including that one. Oh well.

3 months later
#1447 6 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

My recommendation: buy a set of x-pin displays and sell your working set to recoup the costs. You will get $50+ for each including the master driver board...

I did that and boy do I regret it. The originals look much better and the xpin didn't even bother to put the tail on the 6 or 9's. Looks bad.

8 months later
#1527 5 years ago

Do you remember what your highest score was. I forgot mine but I think it was 12 million and change.

1 year later
#1670 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Looking to have a Sorceror restored here in Australia and checking into the eventual cost etc.
One question is the Mirco playfield list two colours for the wizards robes, purple/pink and a blue combo.
Can anyone tell me the story behind this and which one to choose?

The blue colored playfield games had the earlier stainless steel coin door as well.

2 weeks later
#1687 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Has anyone heard anything from CPR about the screen-printed playfields? I'm not in a rush, just want to make sure I don't somehow miss the boat despite having a deposit down.

Nope. But I had the same worry and CPR said that they go down the list in order of who signed up first, not by who paid their deposit first. This assumes you paid a deposit of course. The question is whether you will get a gold playfield or not.

1 month later
#1705 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

picking up a sorcerer this weekend. I plan to upgrade all the flippers mechs to WPC mechs. Anyone else done this?

I didn’t know you could upgrade to WPC. Do you mean with the Fliptronic boards? System 11 upgrade was the standard.

#1727 4 years ago
Quoted from DarkTruth:

Anybody still awaiting an email from CPR that paid the deposit back in January?

Yes

#1732 4 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

So I’ve been having an issues with the green/brown line on the switch matrix. It won’t add credits or start a game. Everything checks out fine and then it will suddenly work fine. Then stop again. I reflowed the connector and the switches and still not sure what else it could be. Any ideas?

I had a similar problem. Couldn’t add credits or start a game but had power to the flippers and occasionally I would turn the game on and it would work. Never could figure it out so I finally just bought a known working power supply board to swap out and it fixed the problem. My guess is that it’s a problem in the power supply board.

#1740 4 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

And after spelling sorcerer three times for special.

It lights the special in the outlane. When ball rolls over lit special it rings. After 5th time spelling Sorcerer it rings automatically.

1 month later
#1773 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

No slop at all. It's the weirdest thing. The same set of flipper bands behaves differently (like how I'm used to) in other games than in this one. Must be the flipper bat, because they dead bounced fine before I changed them. I don't have regular flipper rubber to test with.

The more slop in the flipper, the deader the ball will bounce off them. You could change to black flipper rubbers to deaden the bounce.

5 months later
#1908 3 years ago
Quoted from Kurgen:

Thanks Zombywoof, I will pull the batteries. I forgot about those.
Also, my displays are dying ever so slowly. Does anyone have any suggestions on replacements?
My middle flipper (as opposed to finger) is slow. I have replaced the coil and other parts before with little change. Any suggestions there?
Thanks

You might want to check out this thread for tips on flippers.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#1910 3 years ago

Harbor Freight has an inexpensive tumbler that I bought. It works great for shining up old metal. Set it and forget it. It goes on sale every once in awhile. Don’t forget to use the 20% off coupon that comes in their flier.

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-lb-vibratory-bowl-with-liquid-drain-hose-96923.html

1 year later
#2126 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Ha! Everyone's backglass pictures look the same, they always look mint, like mine.
Whatever technique for printing them sure has held up.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yep. Never seen flaking on a Sorcerer backglass. Can’t say the same for the playfields. They are usually trashed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 22.50
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vicjw66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanted-sorcerer-cabinet-stencils?tu=vicjw66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.