100_4952 (resized).JPG
100_4954 (resized).JPG
IMG_9982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4175 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4176 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6595 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rca1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#884 8 years ago

I'm in!
Just got the one that Msch had for sale on here.
It's set up and playing fine.
I love the sound on this game.
Foolish Mortal!

#888 8 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

That would be a well above average price.

Yeah, that may be a bit high. More around $1,100-$1,200 for a decent, fully working game, I think.

1 week later
#906 8 years ago

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but CPR now has a sign up list for interest in Sorcerer playfields.
Not a pre-order list, just a who is interested list.
Go sign up if you would really buy one, and hopefully they get made.

http://www.classicplayfields.com/order.html

3 months later
#1007 7 years ago
Quoted from ejacques:

Any chance someone is making repro backglasses for Sorcerer?

Yes. Yes, they are. PPS has them.
BGResto has also done Sorcerer, if you have a problem with PPS. No mirror on the BGResto ones though.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=GS-2242&Product_Code=PPS-31-1316-532

1 month later
#1080 7 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Here's my peeve about the drop targets. as I'm knocking down the drops it'll go into tilt, go dark and end that ball and its scoring. It'll happen in one game out of 50. What's the most likely culprit?

Just a guess, but failing diode or touching wire switch matrix issue, triggering one of the tilts?

#1102 7 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

'd heard on other threads regarding LED flashers that people just clip the 30ohm resistor; never heard anything about wiring them in parallel, and it seems to be a non-issue.

Sorcerer uses 63 flashers, unlike most games which use 89 flashers. You have to be careful installing LED flashers on Sorcerer since most are designed to replace 89s. Voltage is different for 63s. You can do some minor re-wiring to make it 89 compatible.

3 months later
#1196 7 years ago

With a great beard comes great responsibility.
I love the art on Sorcerer. I want to buy an early 70's Chevy van and have the Sorcerer wizards painted on the side.

#1203 7 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

Those shirts look awesome! I have a question regarding making shirts in general. Am I supposed to get permission from someone to make a shirt with the Sorcerer art on it? What if I am not selling it?

Yes, PPS (Planetary Pinball Supply) currently owns the rights to Williams pinball and you would need to license through them.
If it is for personal use only, and not for sale, no. You can freely make your own personal items.

#1220 7 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

The earlier you sign up, the better your spot on the list for the gold quality playfields as well.

I'd be happy with a CPR "Pig Iron" grade playfield as it would be an improvement.

1 month later
#1239 7 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

first, you have to make sure the inserts are perfectly level or you'll have bubbles. install is tricky. you can't really pull it back up if it's on crooked; bye bye artwork. uneven fade of the playfield. dirt buildup around the edges. i'd rather do a new playfield with clearcoat or clear the original.
honestly, all those options would be too much work for me. like i said, keep the orginal waxed up to prevent further damage. no need to kill yourself over a pinball machine.

He's not talking about a playfield overlay, he's talking about a clear lexan protector. Install is no harder than waxing. I have one for my Sorcerer that I need to install yet, but it won't take more than an hour or two at worst. It just lays by gravity over the playfield. I installed one on my Firepower in less than an hour and it only needed one very slight trim on one edge with a sharp knife. It is also easily removable if you decide to do that for some reason.

#1249 7 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Can anyone tell me if this plastic by the right out lane is broken???

Yes, that should extend over the post a bit. There is a bit missing there.

4 months later
#1370 6 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

Is that gate for something else

Yeah, the Marco one you list is farther to the right, between the shooter lane and the lane from the spinner to the top of the playfield.
Keeps the ball from going back into the shooter lane during play.

5 months later
#1445 6 years ago
Quoted from Brent1955:

One of my score boards went out, does anyone have one they want to part with?

You might try placing a Wanted to Buy ad in the classifieds section on here.
More folks will see that than will see your post in this thread.
I had a display out on my Sorcerer when I bought it and found a good replacement almost immediately with an ad posted.

2 months later
#1468 6 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

You have to set the max credits to zero I believe

This is correct. You have to set adjustment no. 18, maximum credits, to 00. That enables free play. It's not specifically noted this way in the manual, but it works.
Balls per game is adjustment no. 30. Change that from 3 to 5 if you want 5 balls.

10 months later
#1569 5 years ago

So if I'm tired of being on the wait list for a CPR Sorcerer playfield, and Mirco gets his out first................
Would I be a bad person if I bail out of my CPR preorder and buy from Mirco?
I would hate to do that, but CPR's list moves at a glacial pace. Been on the wait list for a couple of years now.

3 months later
#1639 5 years ago

It was discussed earlier in this thread that the spinners are screened and not decals from the factory.
That said, does anyone sell spinner decals?
If not, if anyone has made their own, would you share the image files so I could print my own?

2 months later
#1644 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Has anybody gotten a new playfield yet?

Has anybody heard anything at all from CPR about silkscreened playfields since they asked for deposits?

#1647 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I wonder if that’s a silkscreened playfield, or CPR’s new “direct print” version (I think those were supposed to ship first).

I hope that's a direct print. Otherwise something odd is going on with distribution of the silkscreen ones.
Guessing the silkscreen ones just aren't ready yet, but curious if anyone has any info.

2 months later
#1689 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Has anyone heard anything from CPR about the screen-printed playfields? I'm not in a rush, just want to make sure I don't somehow miss the boat despite having a deposit down.

Nope. Some sort of update would be nice, now that they are several months late.

1 month later
#1721 4 years ago

So now that plastics, backglasses, and silkscreened playfields are available, how can we get spinner decals?

#1729 4 years ago

Got my PF yesterday, and it looks fantastic.
I was on the preorder list very early, so I don't think there is cause for alarm for those waiting.
Seems like the groups going out are fairly small.

4 months later
#1804 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Could anyone measure the length of the bracket on the one way gate on the multiball ramp bottom please?
My Sorcerer is pulling the post out that holds it as it seems to be about 10mm (1/2") short. It measures 70mm, but the either the post is in the wrong place or the gate is wrong.
I'd appreciate the help as i miss it already.[quoted image][quoted image]

Center of post to center of post is 2.5 inches. Never noticed how little of the end of the bracket touches the lower post.

20200209_191254 (resized).jpg20200209_191254 (resized).jpg20200209_191335 (resized).jpg20200209_191335 (resized).jpg
#1806 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Is your playfield original or repro?

Original. You can probably see the edges of the protector that's on there.
Repro playfield is across the room. Just getting ready to start installing parts on that.

1 week later
#1824 4 years ago
Quoted from bigfoot53:

Awesome,
Thanks for the pics and the links. I'm going with this kit
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/B-10686-1 and the striker plate from link above.

Looks like you might also have to add a diode to the coil.

1 year later
#2086 2 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

My Sorcerer is missing the cover for the transformers in the cabinet.
i have the bracket on the transformer mounting board, and what looks like 2 pin holes in the rear of the cabinet panel.
i've been through all the posts in this thread, and have seen pics of the cover, but am unable to see how and where it was originally attached.
might someone upload some pics showing this cover in detail please?[quoted image]

The left side and back are bent, and screwed to the cabinet. The right front is supported on that bracket that's still in place on yours.

20210502_181019 (resized).jpg20210502_181019 (resized).jpg
3 months later
#2091 2 years ago
Quoted from Thoughtfulsardin:

I have been dreaming about buying my first pin for about 10 years now and FINALLY made it happen with what may be my least-regretted purchase of all time; a 1985 System 9 Williams Sorcerer! I had a very good interaction with the seller (shoutout to Ken from Northeast Pinball) and grabbed the game in what I would call 'good' player's condition for $2k. Everything worked out of the gate and I played it for a solid 3 weeks with little sleep before pulling the flipper assemblies and forcing myself into a restore. I am absolutely in love with the game.
Why did I pull it off my basement floor instead of leaving it be?
1). I want to outfit the machine with new rubbers, posts, bulbs (LEDs and incandescent flashers), cliffy return guides (the right stock guide on this game causes a hop) etc.. I also want to rebuild the flippers, re-sticker the targets, install new flipper buttons / switches /etc. At this point, it almost makes sense to install all new pops and slings, so I figure I should do that as well. At this point, we're pulling the game.
2.) I may seem like I know what I'm talking about, but I really do not. I am BRAND NEW at the nuts and bolts of this hobby and have been diving in (thanks primarily to Pinside) for about 2 months now to learn as much as possible. I realize I could sit idly and play the game as is, but I truly want to get my hands dirty and learn how to work on pins. This will not be my last machine.
3.) I anticipate there are maybe 500 or so Sorcerers left in the wild and would like to know with confidence that mine is one of the nicest. (NOTE: I am not interested in a 100% true to original restore and instead would like to inject some ((TASTEFUL)) personality/updates into the game).
4.) IMPORTANT: I don't have time to be constantly playing pinball right now
So! That is all a long way of saying that I am ready to do a deep dive with this and am very much in need of your collective help. I am giving myself an arbitrary deadline of 60 days or so to do the work and am in no rush; it's important to me that I do this right and learn as much as possible as I go along. I also don't want to get electrocuted.
Here's a rough sketch of what I'm planning to do after I build Skypilots' rotisserie this weekend:
- [ ] Strip playfield top
- [ ] Remove flipper / pop / sling assemblies
- [ ] Remove / Paint Side rails
- [ ] Clean hardware & plastics
- [ ] Clean playfield (Nova / ISO)
- [ ] Check playfield for issues (note/repair)
- [ ] Wax playfield
- [ ] Install new posts & rubbers
- [ ] Install new LED & bulbs
- [ ] Install new cliffy rails
- [ ] Replace hardware & plastics (including shooter rod & assembly)
- [ ] Cut/install mirror blades
- [ ] Clean cabinet inside
- [ ] Replace cabinet switches / buttons
- [ ] Repair / touch-up cabinet wood (veneer interior base ((note: I have a ton of leftover veneer from a project and the interior of the cab is a bit stained...thoughts?)))
- [ ] Replace side rails
- [ ] REPLACE/RE-SOLDIER FLIPPERS / POPS / SLINGS
- [ ] Install mods (pin stadium, underneath light, backbox light, speaker kit)
Again, this is just a rough outline of what I feel I need to do to get the game to where I want it to be, and it doesn't really even involve any playfield touch-up work; I really don't know if that's something that I should be taking on quite yet. That said, does it make no sense to go this far and leave out a total touch-up/clearcoat job? I wish I could afford a CPR playfield right now, but I have already sunk way too much money into this game (I have 99% of the materials listed above on-hand and ready to go, including the mod kits).
I have attached a handful of pics for reference. My questions are as follows:
A) How does this look in terms of a list of priorities? What, if anything, am I leaving out?
B) What is the "order of operations" for doing this work? IE: are there things that MUST be done first or last, etc.?
C) What steps can I take in order to ensure that I make no costly/foolish mistakes? I plan on taking photos before/during/after every move. What else?
D) I am brand new to electrical work in general and soldering. What can I do to prepare myself from a learning standpoint to succeed here?
E) Is there anything that I absolutely cannot do at home with a rotisserie and the right tools?
F) Any last comments/thoughts/input? Want to come to Maine and help with this????
--
Erik
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome!
Any maybe before anyone else answers in this thread, this he has a thread started about this here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-help-a-total-newbie-me-restore-a-1985-williams-sorcerer-

1 month later
#2110 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

What do the OG bumper caps look like?
Mine have cannonballs, that can't be right?

Those are correct, and kinda hard to find if they need to be replaced.
Not sure how they relate to the theme.

1 week later
#2121 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisel:

I recently picked up a Sorcerer and the plastics over the stainless in lane guides are missing. I guess these are just 1 to 1 copies of the stainless in lanes? Id like to make a set out of Lexan unless someone has a set they can spare.
Thanks

Yes, the clear plastics over the lane guides are the same shape as the metal guides.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rca1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanted-sorcerer-cabinet-stencils?tu=rca1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.