Sorcerer (resized).jpg
100_4952 (resized).JPG
100_4954 (resized).JPG
IMG_9982 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4175 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4176 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6595 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fatpanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1706 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I didn’t know you could upgrade to WPC. Do you mean with the Fliptronic boards? System 11 upgrade was the standard.

According to Vid, yes, but just with the mechs, not the boards:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/3#post-773606

Side note, I picked up a project Sorcerer on Monday. Have yet to get it set up and sorted out, but looking forward to getting it cleaned up and playing 100%. I'll likely start a troubleshooting thread like I have been for bouncing ideas off of people, but I'll be checking in here too!

#1708 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Please share the thread link. I’ll be doing the same. I don’t expect this one to need much, it’s just been sitting for a long time in someone’s basement.

It's there, I edited to inform that it just swaps out the mechs, but the link is there.

#1710 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I meant to your troubleshooting thread. Haha

oh lol. Sure I'll post it up for anyone that wants to follow along. It really helps me when I can post out my issues (even if no one chimes in) to think through the problem and figure it out. Did this for a few project games that I've had. Some have had more hand-holding than others, but I've learned each time.

#1712 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Look forward to it. I’ll post my findings there on what I do with the flippers, but I’m liking Vids thing for sure. I’ll probably keep the upper flipper stock though.

Yeah, not sure you want an overly snappy flipper only a few inches from a set of drop targets

#1718 4 years ago

Well, the good news is that 98% of my game works so I probably wont be started a "big" troubleshooting thread afterall. The main thing right now is that the bottom pop isnt firing. The switch doesn't register in switch test and the solenoid doesnt fire in solenoid test....so I'll have to do a bit more tinkering to see if I cant fix it. I'm going to install NVRAM in the game and will reflow solder to the header pins at the same time. Hoping that'll solve my problem.

Plus, I think one of the previous owners installed updated mechs, but still used the stock conical spring. I'm a bit of a purist so I may leave them in.

#1724 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Can anyone take a picture of the posts and rubber that is under the big plastic and to the left of the right spinner? They are between the left side of the right spinner and the lock eject. I took stuff off too fast and the previous owner had posts screwed in random spots. Not sure where these are supposed to go. Thanks!

Is this what you need?

20190916_151145 (resized).jpg20190916_151145 (resized).jpg
#1734 4 years ago

It's almost 100%. Ordered new leg bolts and levelers, plus I have to change out the coil stops on the lower flippers. My plan was thwarted however...

And I broke off a leg on one of these ceramic resistors. Is there an issue if its played with the leg just "plugged" into where it broke off of? I have more on order so will replace it when I get them.

20190921_164328 (resized).jpg20190921_164328 (resized).jpg20190921_190009 (resized).jpg20190921_190009 (resized).jpg20190921_204916 (resized).jpg20190921_204916 (resized).jpg
#1735 4 years ago

When should the bell ring? It wasn't working before. I cleaned the switch, made sure it was normally closed, opened when the bell knocker hit the bell, and closed again when in resting position.

#1739 4 years ago

Ok. I have the glass off so it should be easy to test in-game.

#1741 4 years ago

Got it to ring in-game when an extra ball is earned.

Do you all have rubbers on the outlane posts and center post removed? I find it's a bit easy with the rubbers on. Also, does anyone know if this bracket will work for the right flipper?

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-right-staked-flipper-base-sub-assembly.html

#1743 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I pulled the Outlane Star posts and left small rubbers on the inlanes. Pulled center post rubber. I might pull that whole post. Game still seems to play long. Just not make misses kill you.
I’ll be streaming it this Thursday and really see how fast or slow the game plays.

I've had misses on the center bank come back so fast on the center post without rubber that it still bounces back up onto the flipper. But I rarely take those shots. It doesn't need to be punishing, but it did play long with the rubbers installed. I thought about pulling the star posts out too, but might seem to make the outlanes too big.

#1745 4 years ago

Does anybody know of, or can make, a plastic protector for the center stand-up target bank?

#1747 4 years ago
Quoted from AMBoggs:

yes, search this thread. Wizard_Mode was selling them for a while.

I found it. This ebay auction must be from the same person.
ebay.com link: Williams 1985 Sorcerer Pinball Machine Used Set of 2 Plastics Free Shipping

#1748 4 years ago

I'm dealing with a couple issues that cropped up after replacing the leg brackets yesterday. Any help would be appreciated!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sorcerer-right-flipper-locked-on-and-error-code-7#post-5232665

1 week later
#1752 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Good timing, several playfield replacement options floating around these days.

Such as???

#1756 4 years ago

Oh. Damnit. I knew that lol. I mixed this thread with the Laser Cue thread Ignore my ignorance

3 weeks later
#1770 4 years ago

I just installed new flipper bats and Titan flipper bands in my game, and now dead passes are pretty much non-existent. I've tried both regular thickness and thin, and there seems to be no difference. I have Titans on all my other machines and I can dead pass just fine. Do you think it's got something to do with the flipper bats? It's like when the ball hits the flipper, all of the impact is just absorbed. I don't see any movement of the flipper really. It really throws me off.

#1772 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I would just make sure there’s absolutely no slop in the flippers that they are giving when the ball hits them. Double check by putting regular rubber on them too.

No slop at all. It's the weirdest thing. The same set of flipper bands behaves differently (like how I'm used to) in other games than in this one. Must be the flipper bat, because they dead bounced fine before I changed them. I don't have regular flipper rubber to test with.

1 week later
#1775 4 years ago

Can someone post a picture of the sling switch capacitor and resistor? I want to make sure I reinstall the caps correctly. Both of my caps had to be disconnected from the switches as they were causing issues, but now I don't have a reference to look back on. Much appreciated!

#1778 4 years ago
Quoted from BRW84:

Here you go!
[quoted image][quoted image]

I was referring to the small capacitor that is attached to the switch on the slings, but I got it. I appreciate the effort anyways

#1780 4 years ago
Quoted from BRW84:

I need to stop Pinsiding while enjoying some beers...

That's the best way to pinside...you're doing it wrong otherwise!

#1781 4 years ago
Quoted from BRW84:

Btw, would someone mind posting a pic of the wiring to the Demon and Extra Ball lamps? I'm having some weird lighting issues and I think it's related to one of those two lamps being wired incorrectly by some idiot.
I'm... I'm the idiot.

I'll be going under the pf later so I'll post some pics of the lamp wiring for you.

#1783 4 years ago
20191115_193156 (resized).jpg20191115_193156 (resized).jpg20191115_193427 (resized).jpg20191115_193427 (resized).jpg20191115_193209 (resized).jpg20191115_193209 (resized).jpg20191115_193243 (resized).jpg20191115_193243 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#1787 4 years ago
Quoted from Brent1955:

Happy holidays sorcerer's! I was at my son in laws house for the holidays. He said his game made a "pop" under the play field and how won't turn on. I cycled through the buttons in the coin door to reset the machine and everything lights up. but, when you press the start button, nothing happens. I looked at the CPU and it gives a 0 and 5 when I toggle the button.
Any suggestion on where to start? I can't say if the information he provided is accurate or not.
Regards,
Brent

Try opening the coin door, then turning the machine on/off/on in quick succession. It should go into attract mode when it is turned on. If it doesn't (just lights up) there is an issue as shown by the error code on the MPU. Also try changing the batteries.

3 weeks later
#1794 4 years ago
Quoted from BRW84:

The Sorcerer I picked up a couple months ago actually came with the original pop bumpers caps. The problem is, they're super brittle, and little fragments keep falling off during normal gameplay. I realize that no one is making replacements for the original caps, and NOS caps are essentially unobtanium. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for non-original pop bumpers caps that look good? I'd rather have different caps that look nice than original caps that look like they ran through a wood chipper.

I replaced the pop caps on my Laser Cue with the standard red clear caps. It actually looked pretty good and not out of place.
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-pop-bumper-caps.html

Or PBresource has the plain opaque variety if you didn't want to do translucent.
http://pbresource.com/pfbumper.htm
http://pbresource.com/caps/stn-4a317-r.jpg

Personally, not a fan of the LED caps listed above, especially on an older game like this. It just doesn't fit the era imo.

2 weeks later
#1815 4 years ago
Quoted from Brent1955:

Happy holidays sorcerer's! I was at my son in laws house for the holidays. He said his game made a "pop" under the play field and how won't turn on. I cycled through the buttons in the coin door to reset the machine and everything lights up. but, when you press the start button, nothing happens. I looked at the CPU and it gives a 0 and 5 when I toggle the button.
Any suggestion on where to start? I can't say if the information he provided is accurate or not.
Regards,
Brent

Quoted from Brent1955:

OK, changed the batteries and flipped the switch several times, still a no go. Can't add games by flipping the coin switch and doesn't seem to be getting power to the game start button. Any suggestions of tracking down the circuit? I do have a manual for this, although the schematic is in small print.

Going back to your original post and what is happening today. When you turn on the game, does it go into attract mode? Can you get into diagnostics? Are there any error codes on the MPU? Let's start there first.

1 month later
#1855 4 years ago

That's really crappy. i don't buy mirco for several reasons, and here's another to add to the list. Sorry that you have to deal with this. My suggestion is to reach out to Cliff Rinear (of "Cliffy" fame, and see if he can make you a longer custom inlane guide while still retaining the original mounting points. That would be the least intrusive way to close that gap. Of course, the clear plastic on top wouldn't match the lane guide on the bottom, but either that, or make the flipper hole more oblong as Mirco suggests and move the flipper assembly up. Even then, you'll mess up the flipper gap, unless the flipper hole is shifted too far down. Hard to tell in the pic. You can't move the lane guide itself down, because then that'll mess up the inlane/outlane positioning.

#1858 4 years ago
Quoted from chknlil:

To the untrained? NO. To pinball people like us? The ball hop is atrocious.
fatpanda thanks for the suggestions. I think Mirco is suggesting that I make the inlane guide more oval and move it down a bit. There is potential for that....but like I say, it means drilling...into a perfectly cleared playfield. My bigger hope is Mirco has an actual suggestion, surely I cannot be the only one with this problem? Their site says they are building more of these bad boys....well if they all have this problem?

What are the measurements of your outlanes? Are they both the same? If the left outlane is smaller than the right, then I would have an easier time moving the guide closer to the flipper.

I would suggest reaching out to Cliffy in that case. I know his improved lane guides are already a little bit longer but by the looks of yours, you might even need to extend it.

#1869 4 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

i remember my old Sorcerer had the same distancing which took me by suprise but didnt care back then since i got it at 600 bucks for the game. Sold it that way, seems may be natural spacing

I can't see that as being normal. I'll try to get some pics and measurements on mine.

#1878 4 years ago

Here is my original PF with Cliffy rails. They bridge the gap to the flipper but wont fix your extended gap with the Mirco PF. There's definitely something wrong with your Mirco.
20200407_210438 (resized).jpg20200407_210438 (resized).jpg20200407_210448 (resized).jpg20200407_210448 (resized).jpg20200407_210452 (resized).jpg20200407_210452 (resized).jpg

#1880 4 years ago
Quoted from chknlil:

Thanks mof. I did go ahead and order the enhanced guides from Cliff. Let me know what he thinks on extending the left one. That would indeed prevent me from drilling the field.....Although the plastic above it won't be extended might at least fix the playability.
fatpanda WOW!!! Those are TIGHT. I ordered those enhanced ones from Cliffy on Tuesday so I'll find out if they extend/help! I bet they do seeing what you have there.
All that said, anyone have luck with at least convincing Mirco he has a problem? Cause....i feel bad for all the others that have ordered that field. What I really want to know if it's JUST MINE or if it's ALL of them. Misery loves company? Not really......in fact. I'd be inclined to do the ENTIRE SWAP again....if I knew the layout was just jacked up on mine....

I wouldn't be surprised that they don't bridge your gap. Yours is quite beyond the factory ones. The clear plastics in the pics are where the original lane guides ended on the flipper for comparison.

#1885 4 years ago

I highly doubt mirco will give you a refund. Like I alluded to before, I wouldnt buy anything from him for other reasons. This is just another reason to add to the pile. Sorry you guys are going through this.

3 weeks later
#1906 3 years ago
Quoted from Kurgen:

Thanks Zombywoof, I will pull the batteries. I forgot about those.
Also, my displays are dying ever so slowly. Does anyone have any suggestions on replacements?
My middle flipper (as opposed to finger) is slow. I have replaced the coil and other parts before with little change. Any suggestions there?
Thanks

If you're not opposed to doing some soldering, I have these in my game and they are great.
https://www.wolffpactech.com/product-page/williams-system-7-9-display-kit-orange-digits

As far as your flipper goes, I would suggest cleaning your EOS and cabinet flipper switch (or replacing them if they're really pitted.) Make sure you can manually plunge the flipper without the plunger binding on anything. If the brackets are mis-aligned holding the coil down, it would affect flipper performance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fatpanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanted-sorcerer-cabinet-stencils?tu=fatpanda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.