(Topic ID: 244236)

Wanted: Quicksilver (I will overpay for it.)

By getadam

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Ronnie1114
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7944 (resized).JPG
IMG_7933 (resized).JPG
IMG_7937 (resized).JPG
IMG_7930 (resized).JPG
IMG_7653 (resized).JPG
IMG_7651 (resized).JPG
IMG_7650 (resized).JPG
IMG_5491 (resized).jpg
61694784_763579460711409_4656048546649210880_n (resized).jpg
94B78688-D8C6-4429-87D4-A3AECA22AC87 (resized).jpeg
Star Gazer and Quicksilver (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 11.49.57 AM (resized).png
Quicksilver Shooter Cabinet (resized).JPG
Quicksilver complete cabinet stencil (resized).JPG
Quicksilver Reassemble 1 (resized).JPG
20190602_112153 (resized).jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not ALL classic stern parts were garbage, just the light sockets as far as I can tell.

I’m assuming the legs were trash as well. Virtually none of the classic Sterns still have the originals.

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not ALL classic stern parts were garbage, just the light sockets as far as I can tell.

Don’t forget the inline wire rails

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't think you can replicate the Quicksilver experience by building a game in 2019, unless...

Finally got around to playing beatles and as I assumed the design was so diff'rent even with the old parts is wouldn't play eh same. I wouldn't trust Stern not to tweak a bunch of shit for no reason before releasing

Quoted from bluespin:

Don’t forget the inline wire rails

Stupid nut on top of playfield posts was weak too...easily fixed with tophats though

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LOL

Most of the metal used in classic Sterns looks like a "pot metal", I am guessing mostly zinc, and that impacts a number of parts. Worst part I have run into by far are those lousy lockdown receivers, followed by the first generation flipper baseplates.

#105 4 years ago

Sign me up for the goddamn metal light board shared 5v for worst part!

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Next time you are in the Boston area, look me up. Mine plays exceptionally well. Anyone who has been over to play it can attest it's the nicest QS experience they have ever played

He needs to ; because saying Fathom is better then QS, something is wrong. QS smokes Fathom in every department and your's play's like a dream. Whysnow if you ever in Dallas come by. Mine play's amazing also. I have sold every Fathom I have owned, (like 4 or 5) but QS has been in my collection for the last 20 years. Going nowhere but to my grave site.

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, yes they were.
Besides light sockets that fall apart when you change the bulbs, cabinets made out of recycled crap, flipper assemblies, trough arm mechs, pop bumper rings, leg plates, the way they stapled the cabinets, the cheap inks used on BG's, thin as hell playfield inserts... So many MORE things were just thrown together. Also, unfused S.Driver boards that catch fire!

I've repaired and owned a slew of them in the last 15 years and they are all made of crap. ALL of them. It's one reason I like them so much. Gives them some great character and it's a fun challenge to keep them running.

The only superior part(s) in my mind were the lockdown bars themselves (not the receiver part), and the drop target assemblies seemed to hold up better.

When they migrated to plastic pop bumpers assemblies (F2K), it got a little better but VERY little.

They were significantly cheaper than NIB Bally machines in the late 70's and prior to F2K. They were cheaper for a reason.

Don't you remember 15 years ago when you couldn't sell any of them because they were all considered absolutely inferior to every game Bally made from 1977~1983? Nobody would touch a Meteor or Flight2K, everyone wanted Kiss and Eight Ball Deluxe.

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I’m assuming the legs were trash as well. Virtually none of the classic Sterns still have the originals.

No. The legs are not trash. My Big Game and Catacomb have the original legs. Two others look like the have the Bally replacement legs.

These is some possibility for confusion, though. Recall those Bally home pins like Captain Fantastic and Evil Knievel. Those legs look exactly like the Bally legs. And they will bolt up to both Bally's and Stern's. But the difference is the legs for those home pins are made of lighter gauge steel. Installing these lightweight legs on a commercial pin is slow suicide.

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Most of the metal used in classic Sterns looks like a "pot metal", I am guessing mostly zinc, and that impacts a number of parts. Worst part I have run into by far are those lousy lockdown receivers, followed by the first generation flipper baseplates.

AKAIK, Stern used two different styles of lockdown receivers. One style used the ball and socket type of affair. The later style moved to the slotted style of receiver. For a long time, I figured Stern thought the slotted style was better the ball and socket and this is why the ball and socket was replaced. However, I do have a ball and socket style lockdown bar and receiver and I like it because the ball is adjustable. If your lockdown bar is a little loose, the ball can be adjusted.

With the ball and socket style, Stern had to produce the ball with a threaded shaft. The receiver unit has to be drilled and threaded. And a special lock nut had to be produced. And then someone had to thread the nut onto the threaded shaft of the ball. Then the ball and lock nut had to be screwed into the threaded holes on the receiver. And then it had to be adjusted.
===============

The lockdown receiver assembly that replaced the ball and socket style with the slotted style was just one piece of metal that is spot welded to the lockdown bar.

Gone was the the ball that had to have threads machined on. Gone was the nut that had to have threads machined on. No machining was required on the new receiver assembly.

I'll hazard a guess that the later slotted style of a receiver assembly was a cost saving measure only. The slotted style worked OK and was cheaper to produce.

Can I prove all of this? No. But in my mind, a cost savings was the only reason for Stern to change styles.

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Don't you remember 15 years ago when you couldn't sell any of them because they were all considered absolutely inferior to every game Bally made from 1977~1983? Nobody would touch a Meteor or Flight2K, everyone wanted Kiss and Eight Ball Deluxe.

Kind of irrelevant as you can say that for literally hundreds of pins.

I still can't believe DE and Sega games get WPC prices these days. Thousands of gottlieb and bally games that may have ended up in landfill got a second lease because of reproduction boards.

I don't really give a shit just relating my experience as someone who now has owned about half-dozen classic Stern games. Don't really notice much besides the light sockets as being markedly inferior. I think you are using a little bit of hyperbole but I don't want to get into a big thing about cause like I said I don't really care.

You can't even bend the light sockets to remove a bulb without them breaking in some cases!

Oh and yes I had a Stars lockdown bar mech fall apart on me.

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Yes, yes they were.
Besides light sockets that fall apart when you change the bulbs, cabinets made out of recycled crap, flipper assemblies, trough arm mechs, pop bumper rings, leg plates, the way they stapled the cabinets, the cheap inks used on BG's, thin as hell playfield inserts... So many MORE things were just thrown together. Also, unfused S.Driver boards that catch fire!
I've repaired and owned a slew of them in the last 15 years and they are all made of crap. ALL of them. It's one reason I like them so much. Gives them some great character and it's a fun challenge to keep them running.
The only superior part(s) in my mind were the lockdown bars themselves (not the receiver part), and the drop target assemblies seemed to hold up better.
When they migrated to plastic pop bumpers assemblies (F2K), it got a little better but VERY little.
They were significantly cheaper than NIB Bally machines in the late 70's and prior to F2K. They were cheaper for a reason.

I collected Bally games` for the first few years as well, then I played a QS and a Meteor and I was shit, these things are fun.

Centaur is a great example. Game play has always been "meh" to me but nice to look at.

#112 4 years ago

As I work on my Sterns cleaning them up and restoring them, I don't see too many sub-standard parts. What I do see is wiring that is a mess.

I open up a Williams machine and the wire is all running nice and straight. The diodes are soldered on with just a little bit of wire and they look all nice and neat.

Classic Stern wire harnesses, OTOH, are a tangled up mess. It is like the harness builder ran wire #1 straight from point "A" to point "B". And followed with wire #2 from point "A" to point "B". But wire #3 did not go straight to point "C". Wire #3 got wrapped around the first 2 wires 4 or 5 times before it was attached to point "C". And then wire #4 gets wrapped around the first 3 wires and starts being woven inside and all around. They are just insane wiring harnesses that are terrible to have to trace wires in.

And the diodes use a lot of wire. Works OK, but not as neat as Williams.

#113 4 years ago

Classic Stern lock down bars seem solid as a rock!

And is it brass or copper?

IMG_5491 (resized).jpgIMG_5491 (resized).jpg
#114 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

But in my mind, a cost savings was the only reason for Stern to change styles.

I own both classic Bally and classic Sterns.

I would agree that Stern was cheapening out for cost savings even back then.

The bally games are built and engineered much better. I am guessing the culture has been prevalent since the old days.

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Classic Stern lock down bars seem solid as a rock!
And is it brass or copper?[quoted image]

Plated steel, brass and copper would be too soft.

#116 4 years ago

I bought this QS in Feb this year Paid 1400 AUD for it

IMG_7650 (resized).JPGIMG_7650 (resized).JPG
IMG_7651 (resized).JPGIMG_7651 (resized).JPG
IMG_7653 (resized).JPGIMG_7653 (resized).JPG

it was not working properly when i got it,but got it all going 100% before i did this to it

IMG_7930 (resized).JPGIMG_7930 (resized).JPG
IMG_7937 (resized).JPGIMG_7937 (resized).JPG
IMG_7933 (resized).JPGIMG_7933 (resized).JPG
IMG_7944 (resized).JPGIMG_7944 (resized).JPG

All I am now awaiting the Mirco Playfield to turn up so I can enjoy this great game again

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from Dicky:

I bought this QS in Feb this year Paid 1400 AUD for it

I didn't look up the conversion yet, but isn't that close to about 12,000 USD?

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

I didn't look up the conversion yet, but isn't that close to about 12,000 USD?

Not quite

For those that care, as of today, that's around $980 USD.

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

Not quite
For those that care, as of today, that's around $980 USD.

Just trying to find one in any condition was a struggle

Just got confirmation that the Mirco Playfield is on the way woohoo

#120 4 years ago

Any love for Freefall? I have been playing one a lot recently, and find it to be a sweet game!

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanted-quicksilver-i-will-overpay-for-it/page/3?hl=dicky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.