image.jpg
1555395_10153208373444244_8298896853444702194_n.jpg
DeeOyem.gif
poetaytoes.jpg
5d04a105-e66b-4d9b-b218-928c691eb83d.jpg
313716 (1).jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 9 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Game - wanted

Lord of the Rings (Stern, 2003)

Added: 2015-03-06 23:00:00 UTC • Re-listed: 1 time (April 18th, 2015) • Ended: May 8th, 2015

Price

Wanted

Nearish Indy preferred.

Item photos

No images have been added to this ad listing yet.

No photos have been uploaded for this ad.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are nicoga3000's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

N/A

Go to nicoga3000's stats page

Listing result

The seller ended this ad and submitted the final sales price into our price database but opted not to disclose the price publicly.

Item location

Avon, IN, US

#2 9 years ago

Have a very nice Lord of the rings 2005 run. Minor flipper Button wear. One gouge on the headbox top left side that has been touched up. Not noticeable unless you are looking for it. The playfield is mint. No broken or cracked plastics what so ever. DMD is superbright and the game plays 100% with not a single issue. I'm in the Northwest.not close to Indiana but figured I'd drop you a line if you're interested. I was looking to get 4500 out of it.

#4 9 years ago

I'll be PM'ing you soon Thespiffy. And I saw that ad, but I assumed it was an LE at $8k asking, haha.

#5 9 years ago

You don't find HUO LOTRs in this area that often. I imagine price is negotiable. Couldn't hurt to try. Good luck with your purchase.

#6 9 years ago

I've had a few PMs. Maybe I could get some help?

What's the difference between the various runs? And what do these realistically go for (HUO vs routed)?

#7 9 years ago

LOTR was produced in several runs, beginning in 2003.

There were ~5,100 units of the Standard Edition (SE) made. The most recent run was a Limited Edition (LE) run of 500 units made around 2009-ish? It had several upgraded components (e.g., gold trim and armor, mirrored backglass, extra clear coats on the playfield, shaker motor optional, limited edition plaque with game number), but no "Armies of Middle Earth" figurines, because the figurines were no longer available.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=lord+of+the+rings

The LE models typically sell for more than the SE models, because of the upgrades and rarity (limited run).

Regarding price for the SE, click the link next to the Lord of the Rings icon at the top of this thread, where it says, "GAMES LINKED TO TOPIC". That will call up details about the game, including estimated value...

"Estimated value: $4990 - $5810"

That's an average price range, so it's a good starting point, but it must be qualified by actual condition.

"Routed" games tend to be on the low end of the average price range, and "HUO" tend to be on the high end of the average price range. Actual CONDITION, however, is much more important than those two descriptive words, and actual prices can be lower or higher than that average price range, depending on condition and modifications. I've seen routed games that looked pristine, and HUO games that looked like crap. Also some mods add to a games value, if the buyer is interested in the upgrade, but can often be removed by the seller if the buyer isn't interested in paying for the upgrade.

Mike Nogle's price on that Great American Pinball (GAP) advertisement is definitely on the high end of the price range for a LOTR SE, but he is a retailer with business overhead costs that need to be covered. If you buy from an individual owner, you'll probably get a lower price, but price is almost always negotiable, regardless of whether you're buying from an individual or a retailer. Having said that, not knowing the actual condition of the game in Mike's ad, it's hard to judge how fair that price is without knowing more details. Photos would definitely help.

For reference, I recently bought a nice "players condition" LOTR manufactured in December 2003 from a fellow Pinsider. It had been previously routed, but had gone through several private owners hands since then. It was almost bone stock, but a board had been replaced (different serial number), and had just a few mods: upgraded flipper coils, and white rubbers. The playfield was in excellent condition (i.e., good color registration, Mylar installed, little wear), and all mechanical and electrical aspects of the game were in working order. The cabinet had some dings and scratches, which is typical for a previously routed game. I paid $4,800 for it in October 2014, and then I started modding like crazy.

I have installed the following mods to date:

- Color DMD Display (ColorDMD) - $400
- PDI optical glass (playfield and translite) - $360
- LED OCD board (Herg) and LEDs for inserts and G.I. (Comet) - $230
- Path of the Dead mod (Pinball Refinery) - $220
- Shaker motor (Stern) - $160
- Upgraded speakers and subwoofer (Flipper Fidelity) - $140
- Custom topper (Laseriffic) - $135
- Palantir mod v5 - Retina Burner (Jay's Pinball) - $125
- Interactive Undercabinet LEDs and Speaker Lights (Rock Custom Pinball) - $102
- Custom shooter rod (Marco Specialties) - $100
- Cliffy protectors (Cliffy) - $69
- Dual cooling fans (Coolerguys) - $50
- Flipper rebuild kit (PinballLife) - $45

So my base game was $4,800 ($190 lower than the estimated price range), and I have over $2,100 of mods installed (making my total cost > $1,000 higher than the estimated price range).

Yeah, I know. That's absolutely crazy, but I love this game, and it plays like a dream. I plan to keep it, so whether or not I get all of my money back on a future sale is not really relevant to me.

The point I'm trying to make here is that the price of a game is highly dependent on the actual condition of the machine and the mods that have been installed, so you can see how the price range could swing pretty wide from low to high, depending on those specifics.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your search. Let us know what you eventually buy, if you end up getting one.

#8 9 years ago

You are awesome mate. Thank you SO incredibly much for that post!

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

You are awesome mate. Thank you SO incredibly much for that post!

You're welcome. If you'd like to drive up and play my game, you're welcome to. Just shoot me a PM.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Thespiffy53:

Have a very nice Lord of the Rings 2005 run. Minor flipper Button wear. One gouge on the headbox top left side that has been touched up. Not noticeable unless you are looking for it. The playfield is mint. No broken or cracked plastics what so ever. DMD is superbright and the game plays 100% with not a single issue. I'm in the Northwest.not close to Indiana but figured I'd drop you a line if you're interested. I was looking to get 4500 out of it.

That is a real good price for the OP. Figure $450 shipping with NAVL/STI.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

That is a real good price for the OP. Figure $450 shipping with NAVL/STI.

Locally sold.

I'm working on a potential sale within 2 hours of me. I think it's a pinsider. 2 broken plastics and a weird issue where the flippers appear to "lose power" when shooting the ring during DTR. Not sure if it's supposed to do that or not. But once we come to an agreement, I MAY have a sale.

#12 9 years ago

Bumping this for you and so I can make a note of the model/condition breakdown above. Also want one, hopefully can make a plan in next 6-8 months.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Locally sold.
I'm working on a potential sale within 2 hours of me. I think it's a pinsider. 2 broken plastics and a weird issue where the flippers appear to "lose power" when shooting the ring during DTR. Not sure if it's supposed to do that or not. But once we come to an agreement, I MAY have a sale.

That is a "normal" issue. you can replace the flipper coils to fix it with new ones they make. Pinball Life I think?

Anyhow it was a couple years ago and I sold my routed but nice LOTR for $3800...I don't think you should pay much more that 4kish for a non HUO.

#14 9 years ago

i'd like to help you out but mines from the 2007 run, so I don't have anything for you.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'd like to help you out but mines from the 2007 run, so I don't have anything for you.

Why is that an issue?

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

That is a "normal" issue. you can replace the flipper coils to fix it with new ones they make. Pinball Life I think?
Anyhow it was a couple years ago and I sold my routed but nice LOTR for $3800...I don't think you should pay much more that 4kish for a non HUO.

Care to elaborate on condition and such? He's asking a good bit more than this. Could be more a sign of the times, but any info is helpful!

#18 9 years ago

It was clean and played 100%, ramps were a little dull could have been Re-dipped. Arween plastic was cracked buts replaced. The shire and gimli hole weren't new looking but no major wear. Cabinet had a few minor scratches, had lollipop rails. Overall clean,worked perfect(had the upgraded coils) insert LEDs . My friend Steve is trying to sell his HUO with color dmd and topper for $5500 and it's still on market. I think 4 give or take for a routed but 100% working LOTR.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

It was clean and played 100%, ramps were a little dull could have been Re-dipped. Arween plastic was cracked buts replaced. The shire and gimli hole weren't new looking but no major wear. Cabinet had a few minor scratches, had lollipop rails. Overall clean,worked perfect(had the upgraded coils) insert LEDs . My friend Steve is trying to sell his HUO with color dmd and topper for $5500 and it's still on market. I think 4 give or take for a routed but 100% working LOTR.

Hmmm...OK. Game looks clean, has 2 broken plastics, not upgraded coils, and no LEDs. We'll see how it pans out.

Until we come to an agreement though, I'm still in the market.

#20 9 years ago

Bumping because I also want to know if plastics are still available...

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Bumping because I also want to know if plastics are still available...

Looks like it.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/803-5001-80

#22 9 years ago

This is a dumb question, but that is indeed all the plastics, yes? I remember seeing those when I was searching, but I thought to myself, "Well, it doesn't include the two that are broken, so this isn't what I want."

#23 9 years ago

I have not seen the LOTR full plastic set available for quite some time. If you find one plan to spend between $200-$300.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

This is a dumb question, but that is indeed all the plastics, yes?

Nope, thats just for the upper mini playfield. The whole sets seem to be sold out everywhere currently. Which plastics do you need?

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

This is a dumb question, but that is indeed all the plastics, yes? I remember seeing those when I was searching, but I thought to myself, "Well, it doesn't include the two that are broken, so this isn't what I want."

That is a good point. Here is the link for everything that Marco Specialties sells for LOTR, so hopefully the two you would need are available.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/563

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Snurdley:

Nope, thats just for the upper mini playfield. The whole sets seem to be sold out everywhere currently. Which plastics do you need?

See attached for the two I would need.

This is why I'm hesitant. His asking is on the higher end of a routed game, and having two plastics broken that I don't know where to obtain without spending $200-300 is rough. I tried to negotiate that into the price, but I don't think he's down for that, haha.

1.jpg1.jpg
2.jpg2.jpg

#27 9 years ago

The Arwen plastic (2nd photo) is very common to be broken. I have a Pinbits protector on mine-but they don't seem to sell them anymore. Little Shop of Games seems to have a Arwen plastic with the protector for sale. The other one may be a bit tougher without buying a full set, or someone selling that one from there set. With that being said, I don't even see where the first one's broken, is it just cracked? How does the game play? How clean is it? It sounds like the flippers could use a few new parts and upgraded to Pinball life's LOTR special coils, but that should fix that, and shouldn't be very hard to do.

#28 9 years ago

The first plastic is cracked, not broken. My bad. And the Arwin plastic...Can you link it by chance?

And do they not make the LotR Pinbits set anymore?

#30 9 years ago

LOTRVE could be made in the next 6 months. You may want to wait a month or so to see if it's announced .

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

LOTRVE could be made in the next 6 months. You may want to wait a month or so to see if it's announced .

I've been thinking about this, too...But there's no saying when Stern would actually announce it.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

But there's no saying when Stern would actually announce it.

"IF" they announce it. I wouldn't let a VE possibility play into your decision if you have a chance to get a nice game at a fair price now.

#33 9 years ago

They always announce something. WWELE is shipping now, mine will arrive this week. Likely within 1-2 months they will announce something. I am in if they do.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Snurdley:

Little Shop of Games seems to have a Arwen plastic with the protector for sale.

I can vouch for that LSOG product. I installed it on my game, because the original Arwen plastic was cracked. Very happy with both the reproduction plastic and the clear protector plastic.

#35 9 years ago

Hump day bump!

#36 9 years ago

I take it your other option isn't working out? Just out of curiosity, what kind of price was he asking?

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I take it your other option isn't working out? Just out of curiosity, what kind of price was he asking?

Sent you a PM with the price.

We're still in talks, just haven't been able to finalize anything just yet.

#38 9 years ago

Bump for great game. Just scored one myself last weekend. GL with your search

#39 9 years ago

Yea send me a PM as well im curious and I'll tell you what I think .

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Yea send me a PM as well im curious and I'll tell you what I think .

Sent you a PM.

#41 9 years ago

Bump for the questions I've gotten via PM:

I'd like to spend between $4-4.5k on one. I know they exist, just trying to find one in that range. Condition is king, but I don't really want to shell out $5k right now.

#42 9 years ago

I am also looking for a nice LOTR. The responses in this post have been extremely helpful for a newbie. With the talk on the forums about a potential VE from Stern in the foreseeable future, I am also wondering if I should wait a month or two to buy a SE or LE.

#43 9 years ago

Bump for the weekend!

#44 9 years ago

It's not in the Marketplace but I have a very nice HUO LOTR LE that im willing to part with. PM for details.

1 week later
#45 9 years ago

Bump again. Funds were tied up in PayPal (not anymore) so my deal setup for today didn't work out.

E: From speaking with the guy, it sounds like he offered it to another guy before we had made any final arrangements. So that deal appears to be dead in the water. Actively looking for a game close to me!

#46 9 years ago

Monday morning bump!

#47 9 years ago

I am also waiting on my LOTR. It is so hard to wait!!! I had a similar problem with PayPal. Red flags go up when you are moving large sums of money.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from NMpinhead:

I am also waiting on my LOTR. It is so hard to wait!!! I had a similar problem with PayPal. Red flags go up when you are moving large sums of money.

I've done many deals with PayPal, but I understand when people don't. However, my issue was that we agreed to use PayPal initially but there was a change of plans and it was too late to get the money out before he offered the game to someone else. It is what it is.

#49 9 years ago

Bump.

I had one lined up, but it was 3 hours away and I wasn't able to make it up due to other things having come up. So closer is better, or willing to work out a deal for getting the game closer.

#50 9 years ago

Bump! Still looking for this or SM.

There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanted-lord-of-the-rings-stern-2003 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.