(Topic ID: 140612)

Wanted: DOCTOR WHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Jean-Luc-Picard

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 230 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by RyanStl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151022_155514.jpg
    doctor_who_7.jpg
    Doctor_who_1.jpg
    decal.jpg
    sg2.jpg
    sg1.jpg
    PART_1445493545970_.IMG_20151021_225738.jpg
    PART_1445493454334_.IMG_20151021_225654.jpg
    PART_1445493318840_.IMG_20151021_225357.jpg
    PART_1445493233327_.IMG_20151021_225307.jpg
    PART_1445493181121_.IMG_20151021_225236.jpg
    PART_1445493152166_.IMG_20151021_225201.jpg
    PART_1445493109352_.IMG_20151021_225109.jpg
    20151017_141405.jpg
    20151016_161929.jpg
    Dylans_Dr_Who_341.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

Doctor might be the last to leave!

Personally, I am partial to Strange Science.
    Cooky game with some really neat ramps and features.
    Wish the made more of the machines, and you have to protect the hell out of the ramps.

Dr. Who pinball machine is eternal, underrated classic, and true collectors know the value.
    Owned my prototype since 2006.
    Time Expander is a %$#@% to work on though as you have to pull the whole thing and retest all the switches and optos thoroughly on a rebuild before leveling, engieers should have made it easier.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

I am shocked one has not turned up for you yet. 15 years ago seemed every auction had these for cheap and Noone wanted it. Crazy how times have changed.

Many got parted out, because they were stripped for parts for other "AAA" titles.

#100 8 years ago

"Holy grail" pinball machines and finding them is part of the collecting experience. When you finally achieve your goal do not let them go so easily afterwords. Many people do, and regret it later.

#110 8 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

You didn't sell your black knight?

Nobody should ever sell a Black Knight, there is WAY TOO MUCH pinball history in that machine.
    Names aside of course.

BTW, love the Tardis lamp.
    Combination of the toy+painting converted.
    Wonderful.

#130 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBellMan:

Maybe a Pinside member can go get it for you and they can ship it. We used to do that back in the RGP days for one another! Good luck either way!

"Danger Will Robinson! DANGER!"

This is also a BAD idea, and this is not RPG days anymore, and a lot of that crowd is long gone, MIA, or not active.

If the guy REALLY wants the machine, fly, pick up, and ship yourself, or alternatively drive back (generally unfeasible)

You get what you pay for, and I hope their are some serious photos for this machine first

#138 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

» YouTube video
    » YouTube video
    HMMM.... By posting these..... Am I reducing my chance of buying one? As in, a seller will keep it.... Bollocks!!!!

I might have to get a new DMD for my proto now, I really like those colors.
    I never though a DrWho could get better, but the colors really make the game stand out, as they match the playfield design.

EDIT: This requires modification of the Doctor faces lamp board for installation. This is never going to happen to my machine, nor should be done by others as well IMHO. It is a 100% mod beyond what should occur. Collectors should not modify extremely high end examples of this machine with this change, as ultimately it can reduce its value and not keep the machine "clean" (I am somewhat of a "purist", because anything permanent, I will not install), not because it cannot be done, but after reviewing the work document, I truly see how some "hodge podge" sloppy soldering work by an untrained person would be extremely detrimental, and even could cause electric short circuits and lamp matrix issues. It definitely looks nothing like it should from the factory. The warning in the document is there for a reason.

#166 8 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

Man, I hope DW doesn't get too expensive, I've been hoping to get one as my first pin. It seems like it's gotten a lot more popular as of late, though, and this thread doesn't give me a ton of hope of finding one once I save enough! Hope you can find one, though!

It's another "timeless" theme (pun intended) and the return of the series in 2004 helped out a lot, coupled with middle age who fans. It has always been considered a "B" title (another pun) just like BSD, and people figure it out later, after they have been in the hobby for a while. A REALLY nice one fully restored will hover in the $ 4500 range for while, just like it hovered in the $3500 range 5+ years ago. Fixing the Time Expander is just a pain in the ass for leveling, testing all the optos, making sure alignment is correct, and the fact that play field does not have a sliding hinge for access.

Case in point, Dr Who is rated lower than Stern's Family Guy, which is a complete joke based on uninformed collectors.

#187 8 years ago

Something for the pinball archives here.

Complete set of Dr Who plastics promotional plastics, including two prototype "magic motion" plastic handouts that never made into production when they converted the art from the directional hologram and cabinet style change, along the infamous, "I NEVER brake for Daleks" bumper sticker with TARDIS ends. Still have a copy of the original concept backglass artwork from creator Linda Deal somewhere in my boxes too, which I liked much better than the production version, but the backglass art is not as close a match to the playfield.

Personally, I wish they could have used the "lost plastic" for the playfield backboard, but there would need to be more things going on.
    From my knowledge, very few of the 12 initial test machines remain (two?), as most were brought back and used for re-engineering conversion the final production prototypes from the "Black Rose" style high speaker cabinet with the larger translite to the recognizable "Addams Family" cabinet of the day.

I cannot do anything about the "Pinball Wizard DR" glare in the photo guys, DOH!

20151017_141405.jpg20151017_141405.jpg

#208 8 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

So was it a original moving topper or the aftermarket kit? Not that it matters awesome pin and condition

Go here and learn some important information Dr. Who pinball history by the designer, Bill Pfutzenreuter, himself:
    http://pfutz.us/UnofficialDoctorWhoPinballHistory/

Pfutz did work on a number of the greatest pinball machines from that era of time especially BSD, MB, and SlugFest.
    He contributed design support for other machines he is not credited for during the same period as he teamed up with Barry Oursler frequently to bounce ideas around. This included Junkyard for example.

Want to understand the actual proper prototype working Dalek pinball topper and how it works (including the remake)?

Go here:
    http://pfutz.us/WmsDoctorWhoMovingDalekHead/index.html
    http://www.basementarcade.com/arcade/drwho/MakingOf/

I don't buy that 100 machines had the prototype topper before they stopped production and reduced costs (I think the number was MUCH smaller, because the testing run was rather short after they made changes to the machine to get it into production), only 2 of the ORIGINAL test machines with the magic motion artwork and the Old Bally Cabinet style cabinet exist to my knowledge. Those are the truly the RARE beasts, and are hiding...

This machine as nice as it is, is NOT a prototype (not that the owner was stating it was, I just wanted to clarify, as there are some distinguishing features).

This is the stuff above EVERY Dr. Who owner should know.

#209 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

It is the $300 kit. I cant imagine not having it. So it is good that It was already installed. Looks like it is a mod that takes some time to install. Not a simple plug and play mod that's for sure.

The proper kit is not that bad, if you take your time around 2 hours, mostly to make sure you don't screw up the Dalek.
    I helped someone install theirs because they were not comfortable, and I knew how it got installed.
    Measure twice, cut once!
    For the most part, it is plug and play, and activation of the software inside the game menu.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanted-doctor-who?tu=xtheblackknightx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.