(Topic ID: 140612)

Wanted: DOCTOR WHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Jean-Luc-Picard

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 230 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RyanStl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 36 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20151022_155514.jpg
doctor_who_7.jpg
Doctor_who_1.jpg
decal.jpg
sg2.jpg
sg1.jpg
PART_1445493545970_.IMG_20151021_225738.jpg
PART_1445493454334_.IMG_20151021_225654.jpg
PART_1445493318840_.IMG_20151021_225357.jpg
PART_1445493233327_.IMG_20151021_225307.jpg
PART_1445493181121_.IMG_20151021_225236.jpg
PART_1445493152166_.IMG_20151021_225201.jpg
PART_1445493109352_.IMG_20151021_225109.jpg
20151017_141405.jpg
20151016_161929.jpg
Dylans_Dr_Who_341.jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

There are 230 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 4 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

well.... So this is how it goes. I see a Stargate on CL about 30 miles from my house. I have been trying to find a new SG to replace mine since I have spider cracks. In the guys CL ad I see in the corner a Dalek. Like 3 inches of it.
So I ask... Hey by any chance are you selling your Dr. Just so happens, he is. It has a color DMD, interactive Dalek. It animates, lights up, moves. AWESOME!!!. And better yet, it has a high end collector quality cleared playfield. As well a pretty nice cabinet. no broken plastics, a new tardus, new wire forms and more. And, it was only 30 mins away from my house... Talk about awesome. Granted, I paid $10 for this wanted ad. I still had fun talking to you all about Doctor Who. And I have a feeling I may have inspired some of you to either keep or buy a Doctor Who. I have a feeling Doctor Who is going to get pretty, pretty, pretty popular soon. Especially with the new season 9 that has already rolled out. Episode 6 this Saturday.
CLICK IMAGES TO ZOOM
PART_1445493109352_.IMG_20151021_225109.jpg
PART_1445493152166_.IMG_20151021_225201.jpg PART_1445493181121_.IMG_20151021_225236.jpg PART_1445493233327_.IMG_20151021_225307.jpg The cabinet is a little faded, the sides are pretty nice. The front lacks a bit of orange. But it is just good enough where I wont decal it. PART_1445493454334_.IMG_20151021_225654.jpg PART_1445493545970_.IMG_20151021_225738.jpg

Awesome man looks nice hopefully it wasn't to pricey but at least u got what u wanted . I think all the b/w titles no one wanted for years are now sought after and y prices are heading where others have been for years .

#202 4 years ago

Alright! You scored!

#203 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

Congrats!
How did that Stargate look, was looking at the ad myself...

The playfield looks nice. I did not spend much time looking at it since I was on a mission for his Dr.

This is his SG. He is also a really really nice guy. I strongly recommend buying from him. I wanted to buy both, but hard to cover the overhead as I would need to sell my SG I currently have.
sg1.jpg

sg2.jpg

#204 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Awesome man looks nice hopefully it wasn't to pricey but at least u got what u wanted . I think all the b/w titles no one wanted for years are now sought after and y prices are heading where others have been for years .

I paid a pretty nice stack of Benjamin's. But, in the end in comparison to my other options. I did not have to pay shipping, I would not have a collector quality cleared playfield. It would not have the animated topper and the cabinet would not be as nice. In the end I think I paid exactly what it is worth.

This is the topper That mod alone is $300

#205 4 years ago

My wife is going to hate me.... Now I am going to buy all the damn Doctor Who / Star Trek TNG crossover comic books.

#206 4 years ago

I paid a pretty nice stack of Benjamin's. But, in the end in comparison to my other options. I did not have to pay shipping, I would not have a collector quality cleared playfield. It would not have the animated topper and the cabinet would not be as nice. In the end I think I paid exactly what it is worth.
» YouTube video

So was it a original moving topper or the aftermarket kit? Not that it matters awesome pin and condition

#207 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

So was it a original moving topper or the aftermarket kit? Not that it matters awesome pin and condition

It is the $300 kit. I cant imagine not having it. So it is good that It was already installed. Looks like it is a mod that takes some time to install. Not a simple plug and play mod that's for sure.

#208 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Go here and learn some important information Dr. Who pinball history by the designer, Bill Pfutzenreuter, himself:
http://pfutz.us/UnofficialDoctorWhoPinballHistory/

Pfutz did work on a number of the greatest pinball machines from that era of time especially BSD, MB, and SlugFest.
He contributed design support for other machines he is not credited for during the same period as he teamed up with Barry Oursler frequently to bounce ideas around. This included Junkyard for example.

Want to understand the actual proper prototype working Dalek pinball topper and how it works (including the remake)?

Go here:
http://pfutz.us/WmsDoctorWhoMovingDalekHead/index.html
http://www.basementarcade.com/arcade/drwho/MakingOf/

I don't buy that 100 machines had the prototype topper before they stopped production and reduced costs (I think the number was MUCH smaller, because the testing run was rather short after they made changes to the machine to get it into production), only 2 of the ORIGINAL test machines with the magic motion artwork and the Old Bally Cabinet style cabinet exist to my knowledge. Those are the truly the RARE beasts, and are hiding...

This machine as nice as it is, is NOT a prototype (not that the owner was stating it was, I just wanted to clarify, as there are some distinguishing features).

This is the stuff above EVERY Dr. Who owner should know.

#209 4 years ago

It is the $300 kit. I cant imagine not having it. So it is good that It was already installed. Looks like it is a mod that takes some time to install. Not a simple plug and play mod that's for sure.

The proper kit is not that bad, if you take your time around 2 hours, mostly to make sure you don't screw up the Dalek.
I helped someone install theirs because they were not comfortable, and I knew how it got installed.
Measure twice, cut once!
For the most part, it is plug and play, and activation of the software inside the game menu.

#210 4 years ago

I love a happy ending.

#211 4 years ago

» YouTube video

Well done and a great find!

#212 4 years ago

Congrats on your new Dr.

#213 4 years ago

I paid $400 for mine in 1997. Back then, people hated it (mostly because of the Dalek screaming). It was the 2nd pin I ever bought and when I sold 90% of my collection a couple of years ago, I kept it. Still a lot of fun. Congrats on finding a nice one!

#214 4 years ago

Way to go man. Congrats

#215 4 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

1997. Back then, people hated it (mostly because of the Dalek screaming

Funny. That's my favorite part about the machine. When they scream I scream, with joy!! The audio is spot on. But I think you need to be a fan to understand and appreciate the screaming.

#216 4 years ago

Congrats man, glad your search is over!

#217 4 years ago

Congrats. You should be happy I was slow as crap getting u pics.

#218 4 years ago

Congrats! Good things happen to good people

#219 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Congrats. You should be happy I was slow as crap getting u pics.

haha, that's a funny way to think about it. But,... So true haha.

#220 4 years ago

So, as I mentioned the sides are good. but the front has lost its red. Has anyone bought the coin box decal from Aus? $57

Think I should just leave it alone or decal the front?

decal.jpg

#221 4 years ago

So, as I mentioned the sides are good. but the front has lost its red. Has anyone bought the coin box decal from Aus? $57
decal.jpg

I would leave it, or if you know someone that can airbrush go that route. I would guess that if you do the front, it will make the sides look off, and then you end up doing the entire cab

#222 4 years ago

Definitely worth it to me. The first one i restored i painted. It was a lot of work. Second was a full decal.

#223 4 years ago

decal.jpg

How faded is the front side of the cabinet? Can you post a photo of the front?

If it is noticeably faded and the sides have little to no fade then I would think seriously about the decal for the front. If you are anal at all about the appearance of your games the faded front side of the cabinet will continue to bug you so you are the only one that can really say whether you should decal the front or not.

Gord

#224 4 years ago

Before and after. .. granted it was the entire cabinet. doctor who 7.jpgDoctor who 1.jpg

#225 4 years ago

I can take a photo of the front tonight. It still has some "orange". The sides are pretty nice. Looks like it was inbetween two pins or a wall so the front was the only portion that was hit by sun. I never decaled a pin. My Williams IJ is a beautiful machine but really faded. I got use to that, so... I dont see why I wouldnt just get use to this one. Maybe I put all 3 of my faded machines next to each other so they end up looking better haha. My Fish Tales, IJ and front of Dr. are my only faded. "well bad cats, but that dirty cat needs all the decals "which I have" I am just scared to do the entire machine"

#226 4 years ago

I've got some experience here. PM sent.

#227 4 years ago

FYI, if you want to try to save your original decals, you can buy some transparent red and yellow airbrush paint from Hobby Lobby or a similar store (I use Createx brand) and you can recolor the stripes and text. It takes some time to frisket off the yellow areas and cut with an Exacto knife then redo the red, but it's not bad, and if you're unhappy with results you can remove it easily. I taped off the reds here and brushed it on with a brush. Brush strokes disappear very well with this paint. Once the red was done, I brushed in the transparent yellow. The yellow I used is slightly lighter than the darker goldenrodish color originally used by Williams/Bally, but it suffices for this touch-up project. The nice thing about the yellow is that you can pretty much paint outside the lines and you won't notice the overlap on the red, blue, or black. The pic below is how my coin door decal turned out. It'll look better with the coin door and lock bar installed (and pardon the mess) If you were routing it, I'd suggest clearing over it. If it's in your collection and nobody will be rubbing rodeo belt buckles on it, it'll probably be durable enough. If anything scratches, touch-up and blending with the Createx colors is fast and easy, and it looks good when complete. Hope this gives you one more option.

20151022_155514.jpg

#228 4 years ago

Thanks for the photo and the idea. I think that is the best option for me. I am an illustrator after all.

#229 4 years ago

yea, it's just this easy: http://remote.kiwi.gen.nz/DrWhoRepaint/

If his mother ever finds out he spray painted his cab in the living room.... he's TOAST!
faz

#230 4 years ago

Awesome, I can't believe it was 30 minutes and with a wobble head. Good score my man.

There are 230 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside