1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by KingPinGames
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

And by "try" I mean buy. I hear that these are constantly needing maintanance. Is it exagerated?

Bonus question: Dialed In or Pirates? They both look amazing to me. Anyone play both that can give their two cents?

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from jorant:

And by "try" I mean buy. I hear that these are constantly needing maintanance. Is it exagerated?

My DI needed a lot of work/fixing to get it right but has been rock solid since.

Pirates seemed like more of a spectacle for sure. I only played it for a minute but it seems like there is a lot going on
    and it would take some time to figure out, which is nice. Of course if you're a "them integration" guy they it kind of does a terrible job. The video was pretty ho hum as well but that was in may so that might have changed by now.

DI is pure lawlor and a great, albeit tough, game.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from jorant:

I hear that these are constantly needing maintanance.

I have all four in my arcade. Mostly cleaning. Had a character popping up on Hobbit sticking, fixed it. A broken pop bumper bracket too. My dialed In at first would occasionally drop a ball into the cabinet, easy tweak on the trap door bracket. And motherboard bios got confused on Dialed In making the phone not work, easy fix in bios settings on motherboard.

I've found them to earn good and very reliable. And glad they are here.

I do work for JJP, so consider that when you read my post.

LTG : )

#4 1 year ago

I have played DI extensively on location and JJP POTC for only a few games, I'd choose POTC. In DI, make sure that your electricity guy/lightning bolt is installed properly, JJP requires it to be assembled in the field for some reason. If the bolt is upside down it will stop balls in the wireform with interference. That's the only adjustment I know of for DI.

#5 1 year ago

Lots of time on DI and only a few games on POTC, yet you'd choose POTC. Can you share more?

#6 1 year ago

I have owned WOZ, Hobbit and Dialed In. DI needed the most initial setup. It has been solid as a tank since. hobbit needed a tiny fix on one of the mechs, but really wasn’t strictly necessary. I would say after the initial basic Setup to get dialed in (ha ha), they are super solid. On location they seem to last quite a bit as well. YMMV but I think they are outstanding

#7 1 year ago

I own two Woz RR (late build meaning 2017) and DILE (built in 2018).

Both were bought by me but were low play examples and I've had no trouble with either one.

I would recommend Woz (late build) and DI

both are super fun and site of the art as far as some of the toys and code (DI still more to come).

I've heard some bad things regarding early build games like 2015 (and such) needing light boards etc.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from jkleinnd:

Lots of time on DI and only a few games on POTC, yet you'd choose POTC. Can you share more?

Just one guy's opinion but JJP POTC is still rare in the field, I've only played it at Pintastic and a release party. I definitely want to play it more, and do not feel that way about DI. Mostly a theme thing for me and other than the theater tech on DI, I am not a fan of the features. DI shoots smoothly for sure, and the scoring is low, the right gobble hole (near the phone) and it's kick back is cool too. Just do not have the desire to play it after I've played it 100 times already. Not a fan of the selfie stuff and urban landscape and sounds. I like the pirate theme, in the minority but I like that it's a more general pirate theme than strictly POTC movie stuff. Love the ship and the cannon shot and upper flipper/hole.

#9 1 year ago

I've had zero problems with my Hobbit. Owned a few years maybe 1300 plays. I play TH a lot.

Woz had some issues nothing major my throne light has gone out 3 times. Replaced broken rubber under munchkin play field, had a sound issue fixed.

Seeing the reports on DI has me somewhat concerned.
    No idea on pirates. Don't own either.

#10 1 year ago

Have WOZ ECLE and DI LE. Love them both and really haven't had any notable issues since original set up. For me I have to give the nod to DI for game play. Great solid games with super attention to detail (imo), I hope to buy more from JJP. Have no interest in letting either go.

#11 1 year ago

DI LE might be the best pinball machine I have ever played. A few issues out of box, but great customer service, and rock solid since

#12 1 year ago

Play DI enough times to decide for yourself. You'll get no help from the Forums. I've played it enough to interest me, but I'm still undecided, which... probably tells me something already. The playfield is fun to shoot, but I still just can't seem to "feel the love." I think I know why- theme- and I just don't want to admit that theme matters that much. But trust me, I've been reading everything possible on DI and it's a very polarizing pin. It requires one to "man up" and decide for yourself based on actual playtime. There is no consensus.

POTC, I've played a couple times but I still have no opinion.

Only other thing I'll say is that at these JJP prices, people are VERY critical and nuances and little annoyances seem to matter much more than on a $5,700 Deadpool, for example (which I seriously enjoy playing, btw.)

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I have all four in my arcade. Mostly cleaning. Had a character popping up on Hobbit sticking, fixed it. A broken pop bumper bracket too. My dialed In at first would occasionally drop a ball into the cabinet, easy tweak on the trap door bracket. And motherboard bios got confused on Dialed In making the phone not work, easy fix in bios settings on motherboard.

And a very honest person regardless. If JJP was finicky, I’m sure we’d know by now.

Except for a few lightboard issues, my ECLEWOZ has been solid state all the way! Bought new in 2013 for those of you reading...

#14 1 year ago

My WOZLE has been pretty much perfect. My Smaug was too but found that game soooo boring and limited shots so I traded it. Haven't missed it a single second. Played DI once on location and thought it looked fun. Never played a Pirates.

#15 1 year ago

Start doing curls so you can lift your Hobbit playfield.

#16 1 year ago

My WOZ RR has been great. I've owned over 3 years and have only replaced one light board and a coil. The playfield and everything is holding up very well. Plus Jack wrote stuff on the bottom of the playfield to my wife and I. This pin has no plans of ever leaving.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

My WOZ RR has been great. I've owned over 3 years and have only replaced one light board and a coil. The playfield and everything is holding up very well. Plus Jack wrote stuff on the bottom of the playfield to my wife and I. This pin has no plans of ever leaving.

Your wife has a playfield?

#18 1 year ago

I bought DI NIB in 12/2017 and had one loose opto on the theater (not hard to fix) and a flipper spring break (easy replacement). No other issues after 900 plays. Very solidly built game. Don't let the collective of issues here in this thread scare you. Most if us don't have many problems. It's like reading a car forum when looking to buy a car...read enough and you'll be too scared to buy anything.

DI is awesome. You can tell Lawlor and crew combined their experience in pinball to create something special. I like the original theme especially in this day and age of licenses.

I have only played a couple of games on Pirates, but they were fun although I was lost on exactly what I was doing (noob syndrome).

Either game should be great and when you get tired of one, sell it and get the other. It's not like we're married to these games, so mix it up once in a while.

Good luck.

#19 1 year ago

I had a early ECLE with some light board issues but that was about it. We now have a RR WOZ 2.0 and it’s been flawless and will never leave. Dialed in and Pirates are our next two machines - have played and loved them both.

#20 1 year ago

Have 2.0 rrwoz and a earlier dile and both are amazing pins(steps above other manufacturers imo) and both of mine have been rock solid and my dile has thousands of plays. I cancelled my potcle due to taking forever and just not into it, and im hoping pats toy s will be amazing like dile.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

How long were you on hold waiting for the service tech? I hear he's fairly knowledgable!

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

How long were you on hold waiting for the service tech? I hear he's fairly knowledgable!

That sucks. Who the heck do I call ? I never call me, so I have to look up the phone number too.

I forgot one thing on Dialed In. I had an opto come out of the lane guide under the theater. Easy fix. 10 minutes.

#23 1 year ago

Have a Hobbit and Dialed In.

Hobbit has about 12000 games played on it. Issues: One broken bumper bracket; dead LCD screen twice (bad soldering); broken ledges on drop targets so they won't stay up; one bad lighting wire harness.

Dialed in has about 4000 games played. Issues: Trap door wouldn't stay up, due to screws coming loose and parts of the mech twisting around.

Nothing more than should be expected, except for the LCD screens on the Hobbit, which were horribly soldered from the factory. Hobbit is also a bit of a pain to work on just due to the amount of mechs and wiring, really. Dialed In is much nicer in that regard, and Pirates looks to be even more so.

#24 1 year ago

I big key in having less issues out of the box for NIB games, regardless of manufacturer, is buying a later production build game. 6 months after release the latest games off the line for a title typically have a number of small hardware / component revisions made. Yes, companies like JJP will provide fix / update kits for free but these can often be a pain in the ass to do yourself. Personally I would recommend waiting at least 3-6 months before buying any new production game. I waited about a year to buy a Dialed In and I'm glad I did as when I got it a few months back it had all of the latest fixes. If any issue does come up JJP's support is excellent.

#25 1 year ago

So far my pirates just had a wiring harness for upper pf that need adjustment. And a few menu setting tweaks.

Loving the game so far.

WozRR no adjustments needed.

DI phone screen had washed out colors.
    Had a new one from JJP in 3 days.

My experiences have been super positive.

#26 1 year ago

Let me know how we can help. Between di and potc, I would take di because you can get it now. Play it for a year, then grab a potc once jjp has cranked out a bunch.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 55.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 18.95
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 3.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 160.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 99.00
    Playfield - Other
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 299.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside