(Topic ID: 240357)

Want to see how a t-shirt is printed? JJP shirts inside!!

By LoganJK

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by LoganJK
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

roqprint-you-p18c16 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3348 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3346 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3352 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3339 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3340 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3351 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3343 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3357 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3344 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3350 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3341 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3342 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3347 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3358 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LoganJK.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I had a job come through the shop I thought some of you might be interested in. These shipped out today and will be for sale at the Midwest Gaming Classic this weekend!!! I took a few pictures, check out the printing process!

IMG_3339 (resized).JPGIMG_3339 (resized).JPG
    First step after finalizing the artwork is printing the film. We use illustrator and separation software to get a super opaque print.

IMG_3340 (resized).JPGIMG_3340 (resized).JPG
    This is our LED exposure unit with the light off.

IMG_3341 (resized).JPGIMG_3341 (resized).JPG
    Light on.

IMG_3342 (resized).JPGIMG_3342 (resized).JPG
    Added the fresh screen. They are coated with a light sensitive emulsion that will react when the LED's come on.

IMG_3343 (resized).JPGIMG_3343 (resized).JPG
    Exposure unit closed and vacuum turned on to created a perfect seal. Our high mesh screens can create details as small as 1/10th of a millimeter so the vacuum is a must.

IMG_3344 (resized).JPGIMG_3344 (resized).JPG
    The emulsion we use is fully exposed in about 40".

IMG_3346 (resized).JPGIMG_3346 (resized).JPG
    We use a garden hose and a wash out booth with an LED back light to wash out the screen. All the areas covered up by the film wash out in about 2-3 mins.

IMG_3347 (resized).JPGIMG_3347 (resized).JPG
    After the screen dries we use blocking tape to mask all the areas not covered by emulsion, we use a ton of tape.

IMG_3348 (resized).JPGIMG_3348 (resized).JPG
    To the press!! This is my pride and joy. Handmade in Portugal, these things are made for precision and speed. Moving full speed a team of 3 people can print 600-700 per hour, but we rarely move that fast. It is mostly pneumatic and extremely quiet. It weighs about 3000lbs. The crazy thing is this is the smallest machine these guys make, they make an oval version that can literally be are large as your warehouse allows.

Some fun facts, even though the United States outrageously uses more t-shirst than the rest of the world, the Europeans know a thing or two about screen printing. The screen printing world capitol is considered to be Istanbul, where there are more screen printing presses per capita than any other city. They are known for screen printing retail quality shirts and fabrics plus other things like leather for designer handbags.

IMG_3350 (resized).JPGIMG_3350 (resized).JPG
    Screen aligned and locked into place.

IMG_3351 (resized).JPGIMG_3351 (resized).JPG
    Picture of the squeegee and floodbar. I can adjust angles for more or less ink coverage.

IMG_3349 (resized).JPGIMG_3349 (resized).JPG
    Color matching. We don't use a scale or a fancy mixing system. With over a decade of experience I mix by hand. If we need a custom color for a huge run we pay our ink supplier to mix for us. The majority of prints we do are simple colors with 1 color white prints the most common.

IMG_3352 (resized).JPGIMG_3352 (resized).JPG
    Adding the ink. This job doesn't use much ink so I should only have to do this once.

IMG_3355 (resized).JPGIMG_3355 (resized).JPG
    More tape! Here I'm taping up my registration marks and any other imperfections on the screen. The nice thing about my press is the arms pop up so they are easy to tape. On most presses you have to climb underneath them to apply tape.

IMG_3357 (resized).JPGIMG_3357 (resized).JPG
    Test printing and aligning the lasers. The lasers help me make sure the print is straight when the shirt is loaded onto the press.

IMG_3358 (resized).JPGIMG_3358 (resized).JPG
    Bring on the shirts! JJP always goes with high quality shirts. The white shirts are American Apparel and the Raglans are Sport-Tec.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3iBeTuYV85bOsCpRzp/giphy.gif
    Here is the press in action. The press has 8 arms. Shirt is loaded on the first arm and it rotates around and is removed on the eighth. At the second location I have the flash unit installed to cure the first color before the second is printed. You can print wet on wet but I prefer not to if I can. I printed the job by myself at a steady 300 per hour. I love printing on raglans, especially when the artwork matches the sleeve color like JJP did.

IMG_3361 (resized).JPGIMG_3361 (resized).JPG
    Almost done. Our conveyor dryer is 14' long and is basically the same oven Dominos uses to cook your pizza. We cook our shirts at 330F for about 30". Time to fold them up and ship them out.

Post if you have questions. If you have bulk t-shirt needs I am 100% down to trade shirts for pinball machines used or new.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

So let’s say a guy wanted to buy a machine like that, how much should that guy expect to spend?

Shipping, installation and accessories this one is about 50k.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

Hmm. Guess I’ll judt have to stick with a vinyl cutter and heat press and continue making my own knock off shirts for myself.

10+ years in the business and the only machine I never bought was a vinyl cutter. We have 2 heat presses and get all of our vinyl pre-cut.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Will those be available for purchase for those of us who arent going to the show?

Yes you should be able to buy them online from JJP.

Quoted from RobertWinter:

Nice write up! Always fun to see the down-and-dirty of things.
    So how many colors could you print at once? Would that be 8 since there are 8 arms (assuming you're printing wet on wet)?
    Does anyone ever print that many colors?

So the machine has 8 arms but 2 of those are loading and unloading leaving me with 6 print arms. Most prints are only 1-2 colors but a few times a month with print with all 6.

Here is my press with 18 arms (not mine, I wish)
    roqprint-you-p18c16 (resized).jpgroqprint-you-p18c16 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LoganJK.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/want-to-see-how-a-t-shirt-is-printed?tu=LoganJK and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.