(Topic ID: 24227)

Want to Replace Power Supply on my RFM-- Please Advise!! Thanks.

By flipperfingers

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flipperfingers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I recently purchased an RFM and I'm absolutely in love with it. I noticed a vibration noise coming from the back box. I opened up the metal box that houses the CPU and all the boards look to be in awesome shape (thank God). Anyway, the CPU fan seems to be running like a champ, but the power supply is what is producing all the noise. It looks like compatible ones these are $45-$55 on EBAY.

Anyone have any advice on obtaining one from a reputable source? Also, can you replace a power supply fan without replacing the entire power supply?

Finally, is replacing the power supply a snip-snap job or is it a bit involved?

I REALLY appreciate the help. Thanks a lot.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

You can replace the fan in the power supply if you don't mind taking it apart and putting in a new fan. It is simple to do.
You can replace the entire power supply with a new AT power supply. I picked one up at Microcenter for $22.
Or you can use an ATX power supply and ground the wire for the green pin. See Pinwiki for some info:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pinball_2000_Repair#Power_Problems
Replacing the power supply is simple. You unhook a few connectors to free up the computer case and remove it from the game. Unhook a couple of connections inside, unscrew the old PS and remove it. Reverse the process and you are good to go.

I think that I see that power supply at the Microcenter website and there is one in stock at my local MI store. Is it difficult to replace? It is the Athena Power 300W AT Power supply, right? Thanks.

#5 11 years ago

Thanks so much. I think I'll give it a go.

#7 11 years ago

Thanks so much, Stangbat and Borygard. I got the new power supply from Micro Center for $22.00, put it in and it's running awesome. The only thing I was concerned about is that there were more connections available than on the original. I wasn't sure if it made a difference which ones to use first.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flipperfingers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/want-to-replace-power-supply-on-my-rfm-please-advise-thanks?tu=flipperfingers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.