Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jabdoa
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider topmoose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 4 years ago

I made my own game, just like you're describing. Here's the Forum topic where I chronicled my progress:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-retheme-project

A few recommendations:

1. It helps if you're either an artist, an experienced programmer or an electrical engineer (or know people who are who can help). I'm an artist (the least valuable of the three) and taught myself the other two.

2. Think through everything before you start. Visualize how you want your game to flow, what you want each playfield element to do and how the modes will work (if you're going for mode-based play). Make sketches and diagrams. Do you want ball saves? Multiball? Mode stacking? Think through how different features will interact with each other before you begin. Your questions in the initial post show that you have a great start on this.

3. Don't give yourself a deadline. Take things one problem at a time and give them the necessary attention before moving on. Also, don't give yourself a firm budget. My build ended up costing less than a Ghostbusters Pro, but I'm still glad I didn't cut corners.

To make things way easier on myself, I started with a populated playfield and a used cabinet - it saved me about six months of build time and probably $1000. Because I wanted a completely new ruleset and sound package, I used P-ROC boards with an Asus Tinkerboard for a CPU and I did my programming in Mission Pinball Framework (MPF). Both P-ROC and MPF have excellent online forums to help with any questions you have along the way. My local library has a "maker space" with a laser cutter - I brought a sheet of plexiglass from Lowe's and a PDF file with my plastic shapes and 30 minutes later I had all my plastics. Graphics for the plastics, playfield, cabinet and backglass were made at a local sign shop - basically giant vinyl stickers.

Finally, be aware that once you start this project there will be times when you get frustrated and angry and want to give up. Just remind yourself that you're doing it for fun and focus on how awesome the finished product will be. You can do it!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider topmoose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/want-to-design-my-own-pin?tu=topmoose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.