(Topic ID: 48305)

Want to add Deep ruleset pin: LOTR or TSPP?

By lowepg

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by RobT
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Moved out a couple pins I got on a group purchase, wanting to add one in their place:

TSPP or LOTR?

I like both themes, like both pins.... Never owned either though... Only played them sparingly in the wild.... And virtually.

I know they both have deeper play, but are they strictly pinhead favorites or can they also be enjoyed by the casual player?

#2 10 years ago

Lotr is a good choice if you want to entertain a casual player.

#3 10 years ago

I've never liked TSPP. It is a great game, and lots of people love it. I just never liked the shots. It always feels cramped and rushed. LOTR on the other hand feels smooth and fun. Love the shots, love the rules, love the call outs.

But it is whichever YOU like to play.

#4 10 years ago

I've played both. For my money, LOTR wins without question. But, its NOT my money.

For the casual player- each games has its pros and cons. Wildly different themes. TSPP has quirky shots and things happening all over the playfield. LOTR has a great sound package, cool magnet, and neat metal ramps. Your playing them sparingly in the wild should give you a fair idea of what a casual player might enjoy.

Good luck!

#5 10 years ago

Both will test your "iron fingers." you will not go wrong with either one. TSPP is also a whole lotta fun when you are entertaining as well. I have owned both. In defense of LOTR, I kept it for 6 years.

#6 10 years ago

rbion

#7 10 years ago

Lotr... only because you have tz.... tspp is like TZ on steroids...

#8 10 years ago

Seems like Pinheads prefer LOTR. When I have casual players with me, they always want to play TSPP. It's a toss up for me right now. Hard to say which is actually better.

#9 10 years ago

Own both. Tight race....TSPP for me. Very different themes obviously. Casual players seem to love Simpsons.

#10 10 years ago

LOTR is fast and fun, one of my all time favorites. I've tried to love TSPP but every time I walk away almost bored. I don't know if it's the shots or all the stop and go or what, it just does nothing for me at all.

#11 10 years ago

I own both and love both. But if I could only keep one it would be LOTR.

#12 10 years ago

Deepest rules only I think TSPP wins by a small margin. Game types are hugely different I would go with which type you typically like more. The rules are some of the deepest ever offered so cannot go wrong there IMO.

#13 10 years ago

I own both as well and prefer LOTR by a pretty good margin. But for a casual player, TSPP may seem more approachable.

#14 10 years ago

I think TZ is better for rules.

And technically speaking own a woz

#15 10 years ago

Have both, like both, for different reasons. TSPP's rule set is almost TOO deep for me, hard to keep track of all the stacked modes, too much going on at once. LOTR is very deep but I can follow much easier. Ball times seem a lot longer on LOTR, shorter TSPP games.

#16 10 years ago

TSPP for me, all day long. Owned both and TSPP remains.

LOTR is an amazing game. After a few months it felt like work to play, and ball times felt really long.

TSPP on the other hand, I love, especially now that I mostly understand the rules. (Mostly.)

You can't go wrong with either one, really.

#17 10 years ago

I own both. LOTR wins for me.

TSPP has a crazier and deeper rule set, but LOTR has more long term "gotta play it" allure. Better flow, and more satisfying when you accomplish objectives, too.

TSPP is more approachable initially, but your guests will likely only play it a few times. LOTR has a better chance of locking them into a long-term love of the game.

#18 10 years ago

Dude you're going about this all wrong

You need both

Trust me

I think the real question is "which one do I add first"

Either is a slam dunk, my vote goes to TSPP for now & add a LOtR asap

#19 10 years ago

They are both great for different reasons as many have pointed out. It's it's like comparing CV to TAF, not anything alike, but both great pins. No one can answer these questions for someone so please stop asking them.

#20 10 years ago

I would vote LOTR over TSPP any day. Both have deep rules, but LOTR has everything else too.

#21 10 years ago

LOTR have deep rules but also have mutch better flow wich mixes two great things in one pin.

#22 10 years ago

My gut was to say that I like them both about equally. I then checked my Pinside rankings, and sure enough, I have them rated at #10 and #11 (9.273 vs. 9.270). They are both great games for both pinheads and casual players. TSPP has gone up a bit recently, but it's still a pretty good bang for the buck.

#23 10 years ago

I think TSPP is the better game personally, but in my experience LOTR pulls casual players in more. LOTR has more flow than TSPP and the shots are easier. Both are great games, but the clunkiness of the shots on LOTR turns me off to owning one again. The flipper feel on TSPP turns me off to owning one again too. If they re-made TSPP on their current platform I'd buy it again in a second.

#24 10 years ago

They're both equally awesome...hard to choose. Do you want *EPIC* or do you want funny? Maybe that's what it comes down to. LOTR is a bit flowier...TSPP has flow in its own way. Sure, the ball stops, but it's always a setup for another great shot or combo. It's more "Stop and flow" than "Stop and go". To me, using "stop and go" as a negative would be a game where the ball stops, and then just dribbles out somewhere in an uninteresting way.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

To me, using "stop and go" as a negative would be a game where the ball stops, and then just dribbles out somewhere in an uninteresting way.

Kind of like the saucer in Avengers ...

#26 10 years ago

If you're going strickly on rulesets, TSPP is a much better game, not even that close. In LOTR, you can stack:
mode with a multiball
gollum with about everything
and that's essentially about it other than things like the 2x multiplier gift.

In TSPP you can stack:
mode on modes
multiballs on multiballs
several modes with several multiballs
2x multipliers, hurryups, victory laps, daredevils, treehouse of horrors, etc

basically everything.

LOTR is your traditional 'start mode and play it' type of game...TSPP is not. TSPP is all about stacking as much stuff as you can at once while keeping the clock going.

In LOTR, once you become good, every game basically becomes the same...qualify multiball, start and get 1/2 way, try and requalify. Over and over and over. The whole game becomes one big multiball after another attempting to beat it...becomes rather exhausting.

In TSPP, the games also become long. However, it's way less 'exhaustion' because every game is different...some games you might get several modes stacked, some games you might get to daredevil mania or springfield mystery spot, etc. There's just a lot more variety going on.

Basically, they're both good games, but TSPP has a much better long term ruleset.

#27 10 years ago

LOTR by a country mile! (And I sold mine).

I'm very biased though. Don't care for TSPP much at all.....wouldn't own one.

But I'm a speed & flow freak and TSPP has none......same reason I really don't care for TZ either.

#28 10 years ago

One pin to rule them all! Everyone who comes over likes LOTR.

#29 10 years ago

The easy answer is to own both, I do. The more nuanced answer is easy to discern from the posts above which have lots of the same information I would have said. Anecdotally, both were pins I had my eye on when I went to buy them both NIB. I went into the wild and played both extensively. I'm a huge Tolkien fan. I chose TSPP to get first. In my opinion LOTR is great and I would never part with it, but TSPP got my "first cash vote".

What sealed it for me was the ultimate stackability, the couch Super Jackpot shot and Alien Invasion. The latter is in my opinion the_ most fun wizard mode I've ever played bar none. Truly challenging and keeps you coming back for more.

-Jim

#30 10 years ago

A good option would be WPT. Fun for novices and experts, great flow, just as deep and in a different way, where you can build progress in one or more directions from the start. Lots of stacking mbs too. And did I mention the ton of drop targets?

Of the 2 choices you listed, I would suggest LOTR. TSPP layout and shot assortment never appealed to me, and LOTR has much better flow and good use of ramps/lanes/diverters. LOTR has more of a progressing "adventure" feel, whereas TSPP has a lot of arbitrary modes that can be stacked, etc.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

My gut was to say that I like them both about equally. I then checked my Pinside rankings, and sure enough, I have them rated at #10 and #11 (9.273 vs. 9.270). They are both great games for both pinheads and casual players. TSPP has gone up a bit recently, but it's still a pretty good bang for the buck.

I really have no respect for the Pinside rankings any longer. Nor do I have any respect for anyone that uses them as a reference to discover what potential pins to purchase. You have a to play a damn game quite a few times before you can even respect it enough to own it.

It's sad to say that the Pinside "rankings" are part of Pinside I would actually like to see change dramatically or just go away completely. I haven't looked at them in years and would not miss them for a second.

#32 10 years ago

LOTR for me - TSPP while the rules are deep the way to get them is not... LOTR gives you .2 seconds to make a combo shot vs. TSPP where you can build up the next achievement.

#33 10 years ago

LOTR by a landslide! I was super disappointed playing TSPP at MPE.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I really have no respect for the Pinside rankings any longer. Nor do I have any respect for anyone that uses them as a reference to discover what potential pins to purchase. You have a to play a damn game quite a few times before you can even respect it enough to own it.
It's sad to say that the Pinside "rankings" are part of Pinside I would actually like to see change dramatically or just go away completely. I haven't looked at them in years and would not miss them for a second.

He was talking about his PERSONAL rankings. The OP asked for people's personal opinions about the games.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I have them rated at #10 and #11 (9.273 vs. 9.270).

Quoted from snyper2099:

I really have no respect for the Pinside rankings any longer.

Personal Ratings vs Community Rankings

Apples vs Oranges

Post edited by herg : Tony beat me to the punch

#36 10 years ago

Both are great. If I were you I would chose based on theme. My favorite is LOTR but a Simpson fan would have a different view...

#37 10 years ago

I owned TSPP, and I really liked the modes. They're really well thought out, it's nice you can select your next mode..

The problem: When your goal is essentially to stack mode on mode on mode... suddenly the modes lose their charm. Now every shot is going to score. Stacking modes is hugely important, so it's really not a great strategy to play them out individually.

People are always talking about stacking, and how great it is. Personally, if there are objective based modes like that, I'd rather play them individually.

#38 10 years ago

I have a TZ, LOTR and TSPP sitting in a row.
I play more TSPP than the other 2 (but it is newer) so I am still discovering things about it.
I play TSPP the most
TZ 2nd most
LOTR the least.(I played the shit out of LOTR the first year I had it)

The mode on TSPP where the flippers are reversed kills me everytime!!!

TSPP does not have the flow of LOTR, out of all the Themes I like LOTR the best.

TZ and TSPP are both stop and go.
LOTR is a Multiball fest with long ball times.

I traded an IM for the TZ and don't regret it yet. It's a great game but I am missing something that I can have a "quick" game on.

I enjoy them all for different reasons, I do miss the IM I had, I feel that for my next pin, I'll have to add some speed back into to my lineup....

#39 10 years ago

LOTR and TSPP are the deepest games ever made. For me TSPP is too cluttered and more confusing chaos. Much harder to understand since things are all going on at the same time. Where LOTR is deep and complex, but once you understand it, it's very precise and well planned. Great theme and music as well. LOTR is a top 5 for me and always will be. TSPP isn't terrible, but I think it really would have benefit as a widebody game.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

He was talking about his PERSONAL rankings. The OP asked for people's personal opinions about the games.

I know, I stand behind what I said.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Personal Ratings vs Community Rankings
Apples vs Oranges
Post edited by herg : Tony beat me to the punch

You are only lying to yourself if the think the Pinside ranking system, as it was designed, does not need to be overhauled.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

You are only lying to yourself if the think the Pinside ranking system, as it was designed, does not need to be overhauled.

I'd start that overhaul by making it so that there is only one entry for each title period. If that means picking between an LE and a non LE (e.g. pro/prem/whatever) so be it, review the most full featured game (just ONE).

I'd continue by making the ranges 20 point ranges instead of 10 point, it's too coarse as it stands.

Finally, and probably most importantly, I'd segregate out all categories that relate to gameplay and allow a seperate ranking based just on them (no art/sound/dots/etc, just gameplay).

#43 10 years ago

I own both and would say its a toss up. I would go with whichever theme you like better. I'm a huge Simpsons fan, so TSPP is my 10. But, lotr is not far behind.

#44 10 years ago

Have both...

TSPP by a mile.

#45 10 years ago

I own both, and its TSPP easily for me. Also a favorite of guests.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

I'd continue by making the ranges 20 point ranges instead of 10 point, it's too coarse as it stands.

This is a very good idea.

Quoted from heckheck:

Finally, and probably most importantly, I'd segregate out all categories that relate to gameplay and allow a separate ranking based just on them (no art/sound/dots/etc, just gameplay).

I don't see how you can separate these things. Sound, lighting, dots .... they're all part of the overall experience.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

If you're going strickly on rulesets, TSPP is a much better game, not even that close. In LOTR, you can stack:
mode with a multiball
gollum with about everything
and that's essentially about it other than things like the 2x multiplier gift.
In TSPP you can stack:
mode on modes
multiballs on multiballs
several modes with several multiballs
2x multipliers, hurryups, victory laps, daredevils, treehouse of horrors, etc
basically everything.
LOTR is your traditional 'start mode and play it' type of game...TSPP is not. TSPP is all about stacking as much stuff as you can at once while keeping the clock going.
In LOTR, once you become good, every game basically becomes the same...qualify multiball, start and get 1/2 way, try and requalify. Over and over and over. The whole game becomes one big multiball after another attempting to beat it...becomes rather exhausting.
In TSPP, the games also become long. However, it's way less 'exhaustion' because every game is different...some games you might get several modes stacked, some games you might get to daredevil mania or springfield mystery spot, etc. There's just a lot more variety going on.
Basically, they're both good games, but TSPP has a much better long term ruleset.

That's a great description of LOTR. I grew tired of it for the same reasons.

#48 10 years ago

My Gollum multiball says 1/2 scoring. So I guess i'm only getting half of everything when gollum is running. I'm running 10.0 roms.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

My Gollum multiball says 1/2 scoring. So I guess i'm only getting half of everything when gollum is running. I'm running 10.0 roms.

It switches from half to double scoring...Smeagol and Gollum!

#50 10 years ago

I always see the 1/2 scoring. But I don't look up after that. So it must start out as Gollum. What causes the switching?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 45.00
Playfield - Decals
Gotfrogs
Decals
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
£ 70.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Decals
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 12.95
6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fayetteville, AR
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 12.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 79.95
Pinball Life
Armor and blades
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/want-to-add-deep-ruleset-pin-lotr-or-tspp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.