(Topic ID: 169541)

Want to add a new game but don't like a lot of the new ones. Help!

By DBLM

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0321 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0321 (resized).JPG
    15f72f1d42aece88a4c4be34348f41d10d30e562[1] (resized).jpg
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I'm a guy in my late 30's who grew up with pinball and arcade games. For a while, my family actually ran an arcade in the early 90's. After I got out of college, I bought a Hook pinball at an auction in 99, and have had it ever since. Here over the past 6-9 months I have gotten the bug to add another game. The problem is, I think that most of the new games absolutely stink.

I am fortunate that I get to travel for work and have played a lot of great new games like FT, IM, SMVE, TH, WoZ, ACDC, MET, etc at cool places like Box Car in Raleigh, 8-Bit Arcade near Seattle, and VUK Pinball here in Bethesda. Full Throttle was nice, but not to my liking. The JJP games, being wide bodies, felt very slow. I played Hobbit today at VUK and to be honest, it is very slow and plodding. I do like the overall construction on them. The new Stern games feel cheaply made and honestly, very "light" compared to my Hook, in that when I started flipping, the machines were scooting around. I know that ACDC and MET are highly rated, and I love their music, but the games just don't do it for me. Out of all of the newer machines, I actually like SMVE a lot. I know a lot of folks think of Hook as a lesser title, but it is better made and more fun than most of the newer titles out.

End rant. My question is, are there any games that you would recommend to me? My favorite pinball of all time it ToM. I am seriously considering just finding one and calling it a day, but I am struggling with the thought of an old game vs something much newer. I am excited to see what is coming out at Expo, particularly to see what JJP3 looks like and to be very candid, curious if Houdini ever gets off the ground (no flaming, please). I would also be interested in seeing what PPS releases as their next game, with interest in things like ToM, WH20, and MB.

Does anybody else feel like me? Any recommendations?

#2 7 years ago

I like both the older Williams 90s game but also the new Stern titles. Have you looked at a MMR?

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from tpoeckh:

I like both the older Williams 90s game but also the new Stern titles. Have you looked at a MMR?

MMR is nice but it is not on my list. Outside of the games I listed above, I like Taxi, High Speed, Fish Tales and No Fear. Who knows, maybe I should go the other way and get a Sea Witch, and start a whole water theme for pinballs.

#4 7 years ago

Honestly, anything listed so far would be fun to have.

#5 7 years ago

Star Trek is very nice. My hands down favorite modern Stern game.

#6 7 years ago

Why get a NIB?

New games have issues
    Old games have issues
    Buy a game that appeals to you, put a bit of work into the machine,it will then give you years of fun

Id try to find a ToM, Getaway, or Fish Tales

#7 7 years ago

I just bought my first new Stern (TWD) after previously owning Baywatch and Monopoly, neither of which lasted very long in my collection. After having moved TWD into the basement, I'd have a hard time calling it "light".

#8 7 years ago

you can not go wrong with your gut . Theatre of Magic is and all time classic . Win Win . I have owned 2 . Creature from the Black Lagoon is a great machine as is Fish tales . Good value for the dollar . Hook was great . If I did not have space issues Hook would still be in my collection. It so hard to tell someone what to buy as I don't know you. Newer Stern I guess I would recommend a STAR TREK Limited Edition . The lighting is fantastic. JJP If you are going to get one Wizard of OZ LE or Ruby . Not much help but these are all fun . Good luck ,Peace

#9 7 years ago

Star Trek Premium is an amazing game. Apparently it is also ending its run soon. That is a very solid recommendation which I second.

#10 7 years ago

The older pins to me are better and hold up just as well as the new sterns. I was buying newer sterns for the past year or so but have since been trading them off to get my grail pins like afm, mb and mm . I couldn't be happier wuth my decision. Get what u like and dont worry about if its new or old. Good luck

#11 7 years ago

Really appreciate everybody's input on this. I have not played ST but will have to check that out.

I am trying to balance what I thought were/are good games from when I was a kid with the newer games. Nostalgia is not a factor for me, but I really do like build quality and the fun factor. Outside of SMVE, I really have not had that on a lot of the newer games.

This is going to sound silly, but one of the reasons that I have not bought TOM yet is that my daughter thinks the call outs are creepy. She has played it a few times on the iPad and is getting over that, but that still lingers. Interestingly enough, she things MB is hilarious.

#12 7 years ago

If you think new games stink, there's at least a thousand others to choose from.

ToM rules, but for the same money you could pick up a couple of sweet 80's games (and maybe an EM for spice) and have a lot more variety for your buck. Plus you get the thrill of the hunt.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

I just bought my first new Stern (TWD) after previously owning Baywatch and Monopoly, neither of which lasted very long in my collection. After having moved TWD into the basement, I'd have a hard time calling it "light".

It's funny, but I am not a nudger when I play. For whatever reason, when I played ACDC, MET, and LOTR today just playing them the games were scooting all over the place. I'm a big guy, but it was not like I was doing all the crazy things that I see people do with pinball machines. These games just did not feel as solid to me. Does the fact that they were Pro's make any difference? I am assuming not, but thought that I would ask.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from RyThom:

If you think new games stink, there's at least a thousand others to choose from.
    ToM rules, but for the same money you could pick up a couple of sweet 80's games (and maybe an EM for spice) and have a lot more variety for your buck. Plus you get the thrill of the hunt.

There is a lot of wisdom in what you say but I think my wife would kill me if I tried to turn my basement into a full blown arcade. Hell, even my Hook is not down there. I might have to work on this some.

#15 7 years ago

It's getting so I can hardly wait to see how far back they go with these licenses.

We are now in the 60s, but how cool would it be if they started licencing movies and bands from the 30s and 40s?

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

It's funny, but I am not a nudger when I play. For whatever reason, when I played ACDC, MET, and LOTR today just playing them the games were scooting all over the place. I'm a big guy, but it was not like I was doing all the crazy things that I see people do with pinball machines. These games just did not feel as solid to me. Does the fact that they were Pro's make any difference? I am assuming not, but thought that I would ask.

Not really. The premium may have a few extra parts, the weight of which would be negligible compared to the weight of the machine.

Unboxed weights:

TWD: 260 lbs.

The Shadow: 250 lbs.
    TAF: 290 lbs. (Feature heavy)
    ST:TNG: 300 lbs. (Wide body)

#17 7 years ago

I agree with star trek or maybe ghostbusters as that is directly during your childhood

#18 7 years ago

BTW: you sound a lot like me and I like both of them

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

There is a lot of wisdom in what you say but I think my wife would kill me if I tried to turn my basement into a full blown arcade. Hell, even my Hook is not down there. I might have to work on this some.

Think about it; four pinball machines, in your house....

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Really appreciate everybody's input on this. I have not played ST but will have to check that out.
    I am trying to balance what I thought were/are good games from when I was a kid with the newer games. Nostalgia is not a factor for me, but I really do like build quality and the fun factor. Outside of SMVE, I really have not had that on a lot of the newer games.
    This is going to sound silly, but one of the reasons that I have not bought TOM yet is that my daughter thinks the call outs are creepy. She has played it a few times on the iPad and is getting over that, but that still lingers. Interestingly enough, she things MB is hilarious.

Then don't buy a TOM

Stop looking for that one perfect game

Workout how much you want to spend, make a list of 6-8 games that you like and within your budget, then wait until the right machine cone up close to you

#21 7 years ago

no offense, but if you can appreciate Hook you can appreciate any newer Stern

edit to add- and for the love of God please dont buy a Houdini

#22 7 years ago

I'm a big pinball slut and like almost everything. Go for the Theatre of Magic and make yourself happy.
    Cheers and Good Luck!
    PChop

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Then don't buy a TOM
    Stop looking for that one perfect game
    Workout how much you want to spend, make a list of 6-8 games that you like and within your budget, then wait until the right machine cone up close to you

Agreed. Honestly, every pin is fun to some extent. Stop over thinking it, if you have your heart set on a TOM, then get one. Or for the same amount you could buy 2 really good Data East's. You really can't go wrong. SMVE is a beautiful game. Start with that, then when your wife approves of it, buy two more...

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from ibjames:

BTW: you sound a lot like me and I like both of them

I've played Ghostbusters Pro and it was ok. I need to put some more time in on it.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from davjoszie:

no offense, but if you can appreciate Hook you can appreciate any newer Stern
    edit to add- and for the love of God please dont buy a Houdini

None taken. I actually like Hook a lot. Got this one clean and bright, and it plays great and looks sharp. When Chad finishes the new ROM it is going to be even better.

Putting all of the JPOP mess aside, there is something appealing to me about a Houdini theme. Could be interesting

#26 7 years ago

Grab a used pin off someone and just make sure you get a fair deal. Play it for however long it takes till you're done with it, and then sell it -then on to the next one.
    Not all pins are keepers, but that doesn't mean you won't love them for a little while.

#27 7 years ago

Oh I wish I had this problem, not knowing what machine to get. I have a problem knowing what machine not to get. I have to avoid craigslist for months at a time for fear of buying another machine I have to fix and house.

Good luck and I agree with Chambahz above. Get a fair deal so you can move it along at a fair deal and not worry about losing a bunch of money.

#28 7 years ago

FT, IM or WNBJM ( PC )just pure basher fun

#29 7 years ago

Get what you like. If you like TOM, get it. Kids will probably not play as much as you and you are the parent. You are the one spending the cash so do want you want. I think you need to give Stern games another chance. I first thought they looked cheap and were inferior to older B/W pins. Some are not very good but some are awesome. It really helps to learn the rules. That's pretty much true with any pinball. The more you know how to play the more fun it is. They do play a bit different and have a different feel. The great thing is that they are very reliable and deep in rules. Makes for a great home pin.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Stern games...are very reliable and deep in rules.

The problem is that they never actually bother to explain what the rules are so you really don't know what you're buying until after you've had the game for months and worked out the rules yourself by trial and error (and many, many drains caused by reading the DMD instead of watching the ball).

#31 7 years ago

Have you played/considered The Shadow? I recommend.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

The problem is that they never actually bother to explain what the rules are so you really don't know what you're buying until after you've had the game for months and worked out the rules yourself by trial and error (and many, many drains caused by reading the DMD instead of watching the ball).

That's not accurate at all. There are a ton of instructional videos online. Pinball with the Pros, and the Papa tutorials that Bowen does.
    I actually prefer to watch those videos a number of times before buying a game, so I can see the intended "flow" of a good game. -if that makes sense.

#33 7 years ago

FT= Fishtales

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

That's not accurate at all. There are a ton of instructional videos online. Pinball with the Pros, and the Papa tutorials that Bowen does.

That's my point. The rules are explained in hours upon hours of videos- online, and mostly by third parties. You should not have to go online just to find out the basic rules of a physical game sitting in front of you. Pre-2000, manufacturers used to have instructions on the playfield and instruction cards that had genuinely useful information- as opposed to Stern's vague 'instructions':

15f72f1d42aece88a4c4be34348f41d10d30e562[1] (resized).jpg15f72f1d42aece88a4c4be34348f41d10d30e562[1] (resized).jpg

The worst part is that Stern actually do know how to get this right. Exhibit A: Lord of the Rings. They just can't be bothered when it comes to newer games. Much more profitable to put the effort into lowest-common-denominator marketing stunts and jacking up the prices.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

Have you played/considered The Shadow? I recommend.

I have not. Will have to try and find one

#36 7 years ago

For me, it's not a matter about learning Stern pin's rules. It's that I do not find a lot of them them very fun. Maybe I need to play premiums, but for whatever reason I have not enjoyed AC/DC, Met, LOTR, etc. I just did not enjoy the game plan. IM and GB were ok, and SMVE is actually pretty great. Probably just me....

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

For me, it's not a matter about learning Stern pin's rules. It's that I do not find a lot of them them very fun. Maybe I need to play premiums, but for whatever reason I have not enjoyed AC/DC, Met, LOTR, etc. I just did not enjoy the game plan. IM and GB were ok, and SMVE is actually pretty great. Probably just me....

Nope imo you are correct.... the b/w pins are just more fun to play and have more personality and character. Ive been selling /tradeing my sterns for older pins- imve for afm and acdc luci for mb and couldn't be happier. I tried to love the stern pins but other are just more fun to play imo. I am keeping twdp and met tho for some deeper pins.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Again your not far away so your welcome to come by and try out what i have

#39 7 years ago

I would go for what's on Wishlist you can't go wrong, look for TOM an u will be proud you got one.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Again your not far away so your welcome to come by and try out what i have

You are a very kind to offer. Thank you very much. Let me see what happens over the next few weeks and I might ping you.

Back to watching Predator and drinking bourbon while sitting on the boat. Don't know where everybody is but it is gorgeous out here on the Chesapeake Bay tonight.

#41 7 years ago

Forget pinballs, boats are where it's at!

The only thing that would be better is if the damn hippies across the cove at the YMCA singing campfire song would shut the hell up.

IMG_0321 (resized).JPGIMG_0321 (resized).JPG

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

You are a very kind to offer. Thank you very much. Let me see what happens over the next few weeks and I might ping you.
    Back to watching Predator and drinking bourbon while sitting on the boat. Don't know where everybody is but it is gorgeous out here on the Chesapeake Bay tonight.

Its beautiful out for sure....

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Maybe I need to play premiums, but for whatever reason I have not enjoyed AC/DC, Met, LOTR, etc. I just did not enjoy the game plan.

3 of the most highly rated games of all time... I'd say you probably need to give them another chance. How many plays do you have on them? Sure, they aren't for everyone, but these titles are among the Sterns that convinced many of the B/W snobs to take Stern for real. I can't think of a "game plan" on these machines that isn't fun, unless you fail at it lol.

AC/DC is a pure adrenaline rush, I wouldn't rule it out of being fun until you've cashed a 50+ mil jackpot... what a rush.
    Metallica is the total package, tons of "personality and character". Gameplay is fun and the artwork/dots are among the best ever. Lots of shots (10, with only 2 flippers!)... it has both low hanging fruit and hard to reach goals.
    LOTR has some of the best mulitballs in pinball, and is a really well polished machine, whitestar audio limitations aside. Best ruleset in pinball.

In the end, it all comes down to how you like to play pinball and which themes interest you. If you like Spider-man, you might like Star Trek. If you are a more casual player, sticking to B/W might be the best bet as Sterns tend to require that you put in a bit more effort to experience all that they offer.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

The only thing that would be better is if the damn hippies across the cove at the YMCA singing campfire song would shut the hell up.

Boats and hoes ......lol

#46 7 years ago

I have been finding more fun in the simpler games lately. I have a Comet I keep playing. Late 70s Bally are pretty awesome. I have been getting into EMs a bit as well. Best part about EMs is they are cheap and quick and fun.

Sometimes I don't need a 15 minute game with a bunch of different rules. I need a straightforward, fast and fun game.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from QuietEarp:

I have been finding more fun in the simpler games lately. I have a Comet I keep playing. Late 70s Bally are pretty awesome. I have been getting into EMs a bit as well. Best part about EMs is they are cheap and quick and fun.
    Sometimes I don't need a 15 minute game with a bunch of different rules. I need a straightforward, fast and fun game.

Yep i agree which why i been getting pins like afm and mb with awesome theme and straight fwd rules that are just plain fun with tons of character . There are just enough rules there for it to not get boring if set up properly but yet you know what you need to do and know its achievable .

#48 7 years ago

HS II, T2, or WH20 are good starting titles for new collectors.
    Especially when "souped up" either with some tweaking or even a PinSound board.
    FT is a companion game for WH20, but is not necessarily the first game I would suggest.
    From Stern, RBION is also a good keeper.
    From Capcom, PM 3X better than ToM at half the cost.
    If you are partial to older titles from the 80s, EBD or Flash Gordon are always winners.
    You do not have to spend $7-10K for a good game in superb condition.

Many of the new potential owners I introduced pinball to over the years, I always suggested WH20, and they were never disappointed.
    Unless you want to get bored fast, stay away from JPop games such as ToM and TOTAN, they are pretty but have little "one more game" potential in the long run. CV is also a pretty game with more depth, but does not appeal to entire families for the cost.

Read my review comments for ideas across the spectrum of game manufacturer titles I have owned.

#49 7 years ago

Plenty of choices.

Try a few Ballys for the Golden Age (80's): Centaur, Fathom, Medusa, 8 Ball Deluxe, Flash Gordon, Black Pyramid... you may fall in love with them. Easy to understand, Hard to master.

If sticking to recent DMD, try Star Trek

Considering older DMD? Doctor Who, BSD

#50 7 years ago

Guys, really appreciate all of the comments and suggestions. Growing up as a kid and when we owned an arcade, I played pretty much everything that has come out from the late 70's through about 95. It's a lot of the newer stuff I have not had a ton of experience on. I have put in several hours on games like AC/DC and MET and they just don't do it for me. To each their own.

I am not in any rush and not looking to start a collection. I have had Hook since 99 and just got rid of my Galaga cocktail. I will keep playing the newer games to see if one speaks to me, monitor the new ones coming out, and keep my eyes out on the older ones on my list. Money is not really a concern but like the Knight says, the market is frothy and I am not just going to throw my money at the first thing that pops up to say I now have two games.

Thanks,

Matt

Sorry about the pic again. Can't edit it out from the iPad

IMG_0321 (resized).JPGIMG_0321 (resized).JPG

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/want-to-add-a-new-game-but-dont-like-a-lot-of-the-new-ones-help?hl=nofearpro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.