By Pinwalk

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi All,
My first topic! I have 2 older machines (Heat Wave and Roller Disco). Am looking to add a NIB pin BUT I want to get a game that is not so deep in rules and strategy that I spend hours trying to figure out the steps I have to follow to truly unlock the potential of the game. Any suggestions on a pin to get that is a challenge BUT at the same time, can be a joy (to a 7 yo or a 70 yo) to pull back the plunger and just play?

#2 4 years ago

Chicago Gaming Company Attack from Mars and Monster Bash remakes fit the bill perfectly.

#3 4 years ago

Ghostbusters Pro...challenging, but it's something kids should really enjoy. The audio, lights, and artwork are enough to blow them away.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Chicago Game Company Attack From Mars and Monster Bash remakes fit the bill perfectly.

Heck yes on Attack from Mars. I still have to play Monster Bash.

Medieval Madness is fantastic too.

#5 4 years ago

Any of the CGC remakes fit your criteria nicely. There is a reason that those games are always near the top of people's rating lists, they are timeless fun. If you want something really new I think Deadpool is a very approachable game for those not looking to get into a super deep game.

#6 4 years ago

AFM remake. Best game ever, no plunger tho.

#7 4 years ago

AFMR, MBR, GOTG pro, and Muneters pro not very deep.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

AFMR, MBR, GOTG pro, and Muneters pro not very deep.

is there a difference between pro and premium with regard to code? I always assumed not, just (in case of Munsters) a lower play field?

#9 4 years ago

Deadpool is insanely fun and not too hard to grasp in a game or two. The two CGC games are great but Monster Bash got old for me pretty quickly.

#10 4 years ago

Just order an Attack from Mars Remake tomorrow and thank us later.

#11 4 years ago

ok, thanks to all for ideas/suggestions. Driving by little shop of games tomorrow, will drop in and see what we can find!

#12 4 years ago

Any Bally/Willaims 90’s Game will fit the bill. Don’t limit your options to new.

#13 4 years ago

Tna fits that bill

#14 4 years ago

Tna
Beatles
Tron
Iron Man

#15 4 years ago

I think that any of the Chicago Gaming Company (CGC) games would fit the bill. Here is the manufacturers website. https://www.chicago-gaming.com/

Attack from Mars (AFM), Monster Bash (MB), and Medieval Madness (MM) are all approachable, are in the all time top 10, and have great toys. I would probably pick Attack From Mars as being a great game with a very simple goal for the beginner that has a great payoff (destroying the ship) and having more advanced goals for better players. The space ship blowing up is cool too. Medieval madness is similar with the exploding castle effect. Monster bash plays completely differently, but is a little easier with great toys.

These are remakes of classic machines that were very popular in the 1990s. A new Classic Edition (CE) AFM or MB are essentially identical remakes of the originals and run ~$6,000. The Special edition adds a color screen, shaker motor, and other goodies, and the LE adds a cool topper and some other spiffiness. Medieval Madness runs a bit more at about $7500 for the remake matching the original, and another $400 or so for the color upgrade chip.

If these are in your budget and you are trying to get you kids into this, I'd decide if I wanted a CE, Premium, or LE, then let the kids decide which of these 3 very different themes they liked best.

I personally would vote Attack From Mars, but that's just me.

Good Luck!

#16 4 years ago

I would agree with the CGC suggestions. I'm seriously considering a Monster Bash at the moment.

I LOVE Houdini and it meets your criteria. It is deep and challenging but super easy to understand; you complete 5 movies, 5 escapes, 5 secret missions and 10 illusions in no particular order. Game tells you exactly what to do - "Hit pop bumpers to shed Houdini's handcuffs!" It's not just hit the flashing shots... you are always doing something to advance an Illusion or break out of a jail cell or advance the scene from one of Houdini's silent movies.

Always new and fun challenges come at you. Easy to fall into a multi-ball without trying. It's a very family-friendly theme. Packed with great toys and features. Music and callouts are amazing. Some great deals at the moment on a NIB as dealers are clearing out inventory. Looks like a NIB Houdini can be had for $6,500.

#17 4 years ago

I simply can not believe that CGC is selling the great games (AFM, MM, MB) classic edition for $6000 this is a great deal (IMO).

While I agree the upper trim versions have a lot of extra bling (like the topper on AFM and the larger color display) the classic editions are just so much bang for your buck.

I don't like the other 2 as much as AFM but they are still quality games.

I hear TNA was listed, that's also great pin but don't know how it would do in a small collection. Great very intense game only thing lacking is some humor. Does not have the wow toy features like the exploding space ship or castle like MM or AFM but the destroy reactor lighting sound effects with lighted topper make it an event in and of itself.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I simply can not believe that CGC is selling the great games (AFM, MM, MB) classic edition for $6000 this is a great deal (IMO).

I can't believe people continue to insist these cost $6000 when they are actually $6700 with shipping and the color screen everybody will buy.

#19 4 years ago

I too am considering a MB LE remake NIB.
Is there anything I should be leary of? I was amazed at how smooth it played, the COLORDMD and the topper. WOW!
I played a few games and loved it!

But I heard there was some manufacturing issues related to quality of playfields? Did I hear right? So they weren't shipping for a while.
Was this correct or ballyhoo??

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Was this correct or ballyhoo??

No. Bally Hoo is a completely different game (actually three, since it was made in 1932 and again in 1947 and again in 1969).

#21 4 years ago

Are there "street prices" on CGC games or is the price fixed?

#22 4 years ago

Is or does CGC plan on making MMr CE for the $6K price tag?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 210.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/want-new-but-?hl=pinwalk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.