(Topic ID: 148923)

Want awsome sound out of your Ironman cheap? Read on...

By libtech

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I always considered Ironman's soundtrack to be one of its strong points, great music, callouts and action sounds. Buuutttt, the stock setup leaves some to be desired due to budgets at stern. Anyways I wanted to upgrade the sound output but didn't want to spend a whole bunch, heres how to get great results for ~$20 (all from parts express)

First the woofer, pins don't have the best amps, so an efficient woofer is a must this 8" is sensitivity is 95db, and goes down to 45hz. I tried a few woofers and this thing ROCKS! (and is only $18):

http://www.parts-express.com/tc-8034-8-treated-paper-cone-woofer-with-foam-surround-4-ohm--299-2200#lblReviews

Ok so your thinking usually it should have a low pass filter, however since modern sterns have a capacitor for a high pass in the backbox the sound does sound fairly balanced. Which brings me to our next point, the high pass filter.

Ok so the back box speakers on my VE are decent, I tried a few 4"ers in my iron man and surprisingly the oem sounded the best. A little loose on the bottom end but the high frequency was the clearest. However, they do employ a 22uf cap for a high pass filter, as you can imagine this cap is garbage. So a simple swap to a better 22uf NP electrolytic and a 0.1uf MKP for a bypass sounds better. Here are the parts: (about $2 for the pair)

http://www.parts-express.com/22uf-100v-electrolytic-non-polarized-crossover-capacitor--027-348
http://www.parts-express.com/audyn-cap-q4-01uf-400v-mkp-metalized-polypropylene-foil-crossover-capacitor--027-101

Try it out and let me know what you think, I love mine now! Should work on other sterns as well. Enjoy!

#2 8 years ago

Good info, thanks for sharing.

#3 8 years ago

Thank you, for the price i think I will give this a shot! Any reason this shouldn't apply to a Transformers LE?! I was looking for this exact topic!

#4 8 years ago

DYI pictures and directions to install for the audio challenged?

#5 8 years ago

Pictures with just some basic instructions would be really helpful here as well!! This is my first Stern Pin, is there anything else at parts-express you suggest I pick up while I am at it? An excuse to spend more is the free shipping with $100 spent

#6 8 years ago

These guys have good powered subwoofers that occasionally go on sale. An example: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1000-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-628

#7 8 years ago

... pictures? How about a video? Thread would benefit from some sound proof.

#8 8 years ago

I dont think a video would translate well, but sure I can post some pics tomorrow for you guys!

#9 8 years ago

would really appreciate some pics and basic instructions on how to add the new caps.?

Thanks!

#10 8 years ago

Pictures or are we on our own for the caps?

#11 8 years ago

The cabinet woofer still runs full range. A 6-8mH inductor is really needed to clean up the sound. I usually remove the cap in the backbox and crossover the sub. Then you can put a 20 ohm resistor pack on the back box and crank your volume up to 45-50 and really feel the bass.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The cabinet woofer still runs full range. A 6-8mH inductor is really needed to clean up the sound. I usually remove the cap in the backbox and crossover the sub. Then you can put a 20 ohm resistor pack on the back box and crank your volume up to 45-50 and really feel the bass.

Any suggestions on what parts to use for this?

#14 8 years ago

Would you mind a link to a diagram for install or take a picture of your setup. I can do everything myself, just am unsure about how to wire the inductor and resister. Do these just get soldiered inline?

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Porkfritter:

Would you mind a link to a diagram for install or take a picture of your setup. I can do everything myself, just am unsure about how to wire the inductor and resister. Do these just get soldiered inline?

I don't have a diagram but it's really easy. The inductor is two wires. Remove the + wire from the speaker and solder either of the inductor wires in its place. Solder the + wire removed to the other inductor wire. Done. You can tie strap the inductor to the metal part on the speaker so it doesn't rattle around. The resistor works the same. It's also two wires non directional. On the backbox left speaker, remove the + wire and solder the resistor in place then attach the + wire to the other end of the resistor.

When done you'll need to frank your volume up to about 45-55 because the backbox will be way lower volume. But this will even it out and you'll have a lot of nice sounding bass from the cabinet and the inductor will remove all the mid muddy sound.

I also remove sterns crossover cap when doing this and run the backbox full range. But an iron man won't have thet at cap - the Ve might. It's not a critical step but it's a simple step where you see the cap on the left speaker well the + goes into the cap then a wire from the cap goes to the speaker +. Just remove the + wire from the cap and move it to the speaker +. Remove or leave the wire from the cap it won't matter at that point. Obviously if you soldered on the resistor then substitute speaker + for the end of the resistor that gets the + wire.

#16 8 years ago

Thank you very much for the detailed information. I have a Transformers LE and I do not believe there is a stern crossover cap.

Are you using 4ohm speakers in the backbox or the stock 8? I believe from my research the Stern amp can handle both 4ohm box speakers and subwoofer.

Really appreciate the help! Did you use the sub woofer above? I also was thinking about adding this amp to drive everything:

http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp-168ha-21-2x40w-mini-amplifier-1x68w-sub-output--310-308

In your experience is the Stern AMP more than stable or should I save the stress on the Stern and use the above.

THANKS AGAIN!

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Porkfritter:

Thank you very much for the detailed information. I have a Transformers LE and I do not believe there is a stern crossover cap.
Are you using 4ohm speakers in the backbox or the stock 8? I believe from my research the Stern amp can handle both 4ohm box speakers and subwoofer.
Really appreciate the help! Did you use the sub woofer above? I also was thinking about adding this amp to drive everything:
http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp-168ha-21-2x40w-mini-amplifier-1x68w-sub-output--310-308
In your experience is the Stern AMP more than stable or should I save the stress on the Stern and use the above.
THANKS AGAIN!

If you add an amp, high efficiency speaker is not as important, I put a plate amp into my Ironman with Pinball Pro speakers to see how it would act and it was ridiculous, rattled bulbs out of sockets, my wife yelled for me to turn it down, I could feel air wizzing by the lock down bar. It was rattling the hell out of the machine. In other words, an amp is over kill for very efficient speakers......unless you have less efficient speakers needing the power, in fact AMH has the Lepai amp.

The Lepai amp is cool, from the looks of it though, Input would be an issue as it is low level, and you would need high level inputs. You would need a line output converter, so add this to your set up as well (or build one) http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-35-Variable-Line-Converter/dp/B001EAWS3W/ref=sr_1_2

Of course you can always add the amp later as well

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Porkfritter:

THANKS AGAIN!

Using an efficient speaker you can avoid the amp. For iron man I leave the stock speakers. I change them for music pins where cymbals are important.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/want-awsome-sound-out-of-your-ironman-cheep-read-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.