(Topic ID: 252190)

Want a dark mode on pinside?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Annotation 2019-10-03 165628 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 11.04.19 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Try "Dark Reader" plugin for most browsers.

https://darkreader.org/

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #2 4 years ago

Are there some advantages to using this?

#3 4 years ago

Thanks!! This helps a lot and it's simple to use.

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 11.04.19 (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-01 at 11.04.19 (resized).png

#4 4 years ago

Maybe if I do this non-pinheads will stop assuming that this site is Facebook from afar. I wish they’d change the blue theme.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Are there some advantages to using this?

A lot of people find lighter text on a darker background easier to read/less stressful on the eyes, myself included.

#6 4 years ago

I’m curious if it’s also actually better for the eyes. Or is staring at a screen still staring at a screen, and basically bad?

#7 4 years ago

I've been using Dark Reader for the past year on Google Chrome. I prefer white text on a black background versus the traditional black text on a white background. I find it much easier on my eyes, especially since I have a lot of floaters in my eyes, which show up terribly on a white background.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

A lot of people find lighter text on a darker background easier to read/less stressful on the eyes, myself included.

I for one prefer lighter text with a darker background; I'm really liking this dark reader mode on pinside

#11 4 years ago

As someone who stares at a screen all day for 30 years I also thought dark/night mode was a bit overrated, until I started using it. My main development environment came by default with dark background and light text and once I got used to it all of the other things I used that were SO WHITE killed my eyes. Especially at night, obviously, but even during the day this lets my eyes relax a bit more. I also started testing out some computer glasses to see if that helps with eye strain at all. Got some off Amazon and the jury is still out but I'm waiting for my prescription ones from zennioptical.com to see how those work. I only need glasses for distance but something makes the screen blurry after a while and a +.5 computer glasses didn't help so I don't need readers. I think maybe the blue blocking computer glasses might help a little.

#12 4 years ago

Another benefit with dark mode on an OLED screen, like most new phones is improved battery life. OLED’s don’t have a backlight because each pixel produces its own light. If most of the screen is black then those pixels are just off.

#13 4 years ago

Re: Want a dark mode on pinside?

No.

#14 4 years ago

When I look at a dark background with light text like what ColorDMD does with their e-mail announcements I end up seeing spots after a few minutes.
    Most modern computer monitors have the brightness turned up way too high from the factory. The first thing I do when I get a new monitor is lower the brightness because if I didn't I would be having eye strain and fatigue.

#15 4 years ago

I do want it but I downloaded it to "my desk top" on my phone. It says it downloaded but I can't find it on my home screen or in my apps. How do you enable it?

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

I do want it but I downloaded it to "my desk top" on my phone. It says it downloaded but I can't find it on my home screen or in my apps. How do you enable it?

I'm not sure on mobile, it's a chrome extension so it installed on your desktop Mac or PC computer version of chrome, it sounds like. I'll see if there is an option for mobile.

#17 4 years ago

Have you found good settings to differentiate OP from other posts? They really blend together and I haven't found good settings to tweak to make them stand apart better.

Annotation 2019-10-03 165628 (resized).pngAnnotation 2019-10-03 165628 (resized).png
    #18 4 years ago

Putting Sepia to +80 and Grayscale to +40 gives you this. You can click the "only on pinside" box too. This is on Dynamic mode.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#19 4 years ago

I've been using dark mode at work for over a year now since I discovered it, I prefer it.

#20 4 years ago

That extension is garbage. The load times become excessive when it's enabled. I'd like dark mode, but not when everything takes forever to load.

#21 4 years ago

Yeah, I noticed a bit of lag on some sites... not sure why, maybe the processing it does to figure out what colors to change. Injecting the CSS should be minimal.

#22 4 years ago

I had to remove the plug in even though I liked it, I had a similar experience to yaksplat

#24 4 years ago

There was a recent article aboit how dark mode really isnt better for the eyes.

Edit: here https://gizmodo.com/dark-mode-is-for-suckers-1838544708/amp

I've not personally used it, but do stare at 3 monitors as part of my day job. Might have to try.

#25 4 years ago

I don't think it's the fact that dark mode does something special, but a pixel lit at 100% brightness compared to one at 0% or much closer MUST help with the amount of light bombarding your cones and receptors. Especially at night when ambient light is much lower. My mac automatically shifts to nighttime mode (blue colors lessened) and I manually change my brightness settings, but a mostly white screen still makes it tough. Daytime, at an office with bright ambient light probably isn't as drastic.

#26 4 years ago

Would love a native dark mode to the site!!

#27 4 years ago

I bet it wouldn't be too hard to write a greasemonkey style script to change the CSS. It's not like there is that much to change. Personally, I'd like the site without the header image and some of the fanciness, more like classic reddit. If I have some time I'll put something together, although Lunar Reader seems to be working quite well.

3 months later
    #28 4 years ago

Wish Robin would incorporate one....

3 months later
    #29 3 years ago

Dark mode would be a nice option.

4 months later
    #30 3 years ago

I was just thinking about this today. It would be great to have a built in dark mode.

1 week later
    #31 3 years ago
    Quoted from La4s:

I was just thinking about this today. It would be great to have a built in dark mode.

Well, looks like our wishes have been answered

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/want-a-dark-mode-on-pinside-?hl=la4s and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.