(Topic ID: 29550)

Wanna get my 1st pin in Greensboro, N.C.! HELP..

By daddio507

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Banker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hello:

First of all I have been a member of the site for a little while now as it comes up in every google/yahoo search related to pinball and pinball sales, I must say it clearly is the "go to" spot for pinball. I am looking to get a few pinball machines and have unfortunately discovered they are harder to find than I thought, and Greensboro, NC is not a mecca for pinball machines I thought it would be based on how many I recall seeing as a child. Arcades are so much easier to find. Now that I have almost 20/30 arcades and NO pinball, that has to change.

If anyone can offer any advice on buying the pins I want how much I should expect to pay and where in the hell can I find a machine at least within a several hours drive from N.C. that would be GREATLY appreciated. If anyone knows anyone looking to trade arcades for a pin I can do that too.

I'm looking to find the following machines and find them for a good price. They dont have to be 100% perfect, but I prefer them still be as nice as one can expect and for it to not look like a total cosmetic mess as I really haven't the time to restore one. I want to play em right away.. LOL

Machines I am interested in!

Genesis
Bride of Pin-Bot
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Flash Gordon
Star Wars Trilogy

Thanks in advance for your insight, wisdom and help..

#2 11 years ago

You're kidding right? Greensboro all the time has pins for sale. Black_Rose has gone through over 200 pins in a few years and he's right there in Winston Salem. You should plan on attending next month's auction (Auction Game Sales) in Winston...At least meet up with some of us and get the lay of the land. There's tons of pins to buy in this area.

In fact, a HUO Bride of Pinbot just sold in High Point a month ago.

I just bought a Genesis from SC.

I picked up my CFTBL from a non-collector marine Biologist near raleigh

There was a Star Wars for sale on Charlotte CL not too long ago.

You just have to look a little harder and start to network

#3 11 years ago

there are at least 25 or 30 collectors in Greensboro Winston Salem area send me an email and I'll put you in touch with people that are selling games

#4 11 years ago

i see plenty of machines for sale on craigslist and mr pinball in virginia. have you looked on those sites?

#5 11 years ago

Do you know about Lost Ark?

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Do you know about Lost Ark?

I do know about Lost Ark and make a point to go everyday. It's a great thing.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

there are at least 25 or 30 collectors in Greensboro Winston Salem area send me an email and I'll put you in touch with people that are selling games

Thank you. I will send that email now. Thanks..

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from ebjimmyg:

i see plenty of machines for sale on craigslist and mr pinball in virginia. have you looked on those sites?

Craigslist I look at daily, however nobody has the games I want thus far. Mr. Pinball, never heard of that. I'll look into that tonight..

#9 11 years ago

Wait till Winston Salem auction

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from daddio507:

Craigslist I look at daily, however nobody has the games I want thus far...

No such thing....You don't start collecting with games you want. You start with games you can find, fix up, play, learn, sell and pocket a little sweat equity and move on to the next one. If you sit around waiting for the games you 'want' you'll be waiting a long time. There are thousands of pinball titles out there....How do you really know what you want

#12 11 years ago

I'd still go for the creature though!

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

No such thing....You don't start collecting with games you want. You start with games you can find, fix up, play, learn, sell and pocket a little sweat equity and move on to the next one. If you sit around waiting for the games you 'want' you'll be waiting a long time. There are thousands of pinball titles out there....How do you really know what you want

That makes perfect sense! Thank you..

#14 11 years ago

I couldnt be happier with Dirty Harry. I have had it 2 weeks, it wasnt exactly at the top of my 1st pin list, but it should have been.

#15 11 years ago

BR can definitely help you out.

#16 11 years ago

As a fairly new owner (I don't say collector, because my games are not collector quality, they are player quality and up to damn fine, but not collector), I suggest that you keep your mind open for great deals on classic games, or, sleeper games. You can probably find a really nice Baywatch for not much money, I know, I know, it's not on your want list...but that's what's great about it. It's a fun game and is fairly complex in operation to give you some good experience in working on them before you spend a lot of money.

I think a misconception with new owners is that if you buy a machine in good condition it won't break for a while...yeah...right... . The biggest lesson I learned is that you have to have the right tool for the job, and the best tool purchase I made were some long handle magnetic nut drivers, these to be specific...

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-647M-Magnetic-Driver/dp/B000MKIUYQ/ref=sr_1_1

They work great to get into those tight spaces for repairs. I also bought a real .093 molex crimper, a real professional one. It's really nice to not have to hold the damn connector, put the wire in to the right position, and then try to crimp. Just latch the connector in place and push the wire in until it stops and crimp until it releases. (all my Minneapolis metro area pinballers that need one and don't have one, just look me up, you can use it all you want )

Otherwise, welcome to the club, playing pinball is one thing but owning a machine or a few is an entirely different animal. You really get to appreciate the quality arcades out there when you see how often they need adjustment (or you just wanna buy a new coil or something...)

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

As a fairly new owner (I don't say collector, because my games are not collector quality, they are player quality and up to damn fine, but not collector), I suggest that you keep your mind open for great deals on classic games, or, sleeper games. You can probably find a really nice Baywatch for not much money, I know, I know, it's not on your want list...but that's what's great about it. It's a fun game and is fairly complex in operation to give you some good experience in working on them before you spend a lot of money.
I think a misconception with new owners is that if you buy a machine in good condition it won't break for a while...yeah...right... . The biggest lesson I learned is that you have to have the right tool for the job, and the best tool purchase I made were some long handle magnetic nut drivers, these to be specific...
http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-647M-Magnetic-Driver/dp/B000MKIUYQ/ref=sr_1_1
They work great to get into those tight spaces for repairs. I also bought a real .093 molex crimper, a real professional one. It's really nice to not have to hold the damn connector, put the wire in to the right position, and then try to crimp. Just latch the connector in place and push the wire in until it stops and crimp until it releases. (all my Minneapolis metro area pinballers that need one and don't have one, just look me up, you can use it all you want )
Otherwise, welcome to the club, playing pinball is one thing but owning a machine or a few is an entirely different animal. You really get to appreciate the quality arcades out there when you see how often they need adjustment (or you just wanna buy a new coil or something...)

Thanks a lot. I can't wait..

#18 11 years ago

Someone near here on craigslist has a Gorgar, asking $850 or best offer. Which brings me to my next question, how do you know what a reasonable price is to pay for a machine??

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from daddio507:

Someone near here on craigslist has a Gorgar, asking $850 or best offer. Which brings me to my next question, how do you know what a reasonable price is to pay for a machine??

I'm a new pin owner myself and purchasing the new Mr Pinball price guide was a wise investment for me. Those that have been around a while know what they are worth off the top of their head, but I don't have the years of knowledge to go on. FWIW- it lists Gorgar in VG condition at $800. Hope that helps.

#20 11 years ago

Also, you could check the price range on pinside, as well as Bostonpinball.biz to get a rough idea.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from GoVols:

I'm a new pin owner myself and purchasing the new Mr Pinball price guide was a wise investment for me. Those that have been around a while know what they are worth off the top of their head, but I don't have the years of knowledge to go on. FWIW- it lists Gorgar in VG condition at $800. Hope that helps.

The past 2 years thoose guides have pins priced below market by the time theyre published. If not a month or so after. Prices have went stupid

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from daddio507:

It's tough, but some things to look at are how clean the game is. Is the cabinet and, in this case, glass still looking good? How does it play, do the flippers seem strong, can it make it up the ramps? Is there wear on the playfield, down to the wood or any insert wear? If you lift the playfield up (and you should) is it dirty under there, and do you see crappy solders and electricians tape repairs? All these things come into play...

For 900 bucks, it's probably a players game that has some flaws both cosmetically and functionally....depends on your market though.

But, if you really like Gorgar and want one, under a grand is a fair price IMO.

#23 11 years ago

Thank you all for the knowledge & pointers. Keep em coming if you can think of anything further, I'm a sponge here taking it all in. Thanks gang..

#24 11 years ago

I may have 1 or 2 for sale. Adding more new sterns and need to make room. You are welcome to look. I am located in Lewisville , about 30 min. From you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanna-get-my-1st-pin-in-greensboro-nc-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.