Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Budman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170903_144914 (resized).jpg
    Steely-Dan (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

Yesterday was a sad day for music. I don't usually get worked up over celebrity deaths, but this one cut deeper than the rest. Steely Dan was among my first memories of listening to music when I found a cassette tape of their "Pretzel Logic" album under the couch as a young kid. I listened to that tape so much, I broke the spools. Then cried because it was the '90s and YouTube didn't exist to look up "Rikki Don't Lose that Number." As a musician, they shaped my musical style and taste to the nth degree.

They were undoubtably the most diverse, sonically refined band. Ever. Those smooth riffs, the grooves, Peg, and the cleanest rhodes sound on the planet. Nothing will come close to Becker's ability to arrange Steely Dan's music.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

He was also a great producer. Liked his work with rickie lee jones.

I agree. Becker produced most of Fagen's solo work as well. Really talented guy.

Speaking of, Becker's solo work was also really fantastic. Such a sharply defined sound from his 11 Tracks of Whack. Circus Money had a clean reggae sound, and it was all so good. My favorite song from him, I think, might be Book of Liars. Restrained simplicity. Performed live, it's executed to perfection.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/walter-becker?tu=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.