Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giant-breast-woody-allen_l.jpg
Gary Stern with Santiago Ciuffos Pinball book.jpg
walking dead instructions.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider usandthem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Actually one of my early ideas was re-purposing the BSD Mist Multiball feature in this sense. I was thinking you could have two "zombies" moving across the playfield, each toward a different outlane. You have to hit them in time to get the ball, otherwise it carries the ball to the outlane and drains it.
To that end, if you had a magnet on a track that could "park" near the outlanes when not in use, they could be user controlled with a second set of flipper buttons to pulse on, and they could serve a second function like the magna-saves in the BK, JL, SF, Pharaoh games.
Could be innovative and retro all at the same time.

I agree. Everyone always talks about Stern's innovations in pinball. What innovations? Stern designs of the last 5 years are all pretty much fast and simple. Toys are sparse. There is nothing even remotely innovative (except for maybe color changing LED's) Mist multi-ball is in a 21 year old game. If Stern did that, they'd call it a super-premium and charge 9K for it.

#167 9 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

If that new magnet design stops the play field from getting chewed up, I'd possibly call that innovative.
Also, metal/plastic leg plates that stop decal tearing/wrinkling was well thought out.

True. But, isn't that really small potatoes in the grand scheme of things? Heck, most B/W magnets were hidden below the playfield so you couldn't even see the core. Seeing the core is NOT attractive. Sure, after many years, the playfield might sustain some damage, but not within a month of hard playing like on the magnetic Stern games. The metal cab protectors are cool. Circuit boards are cleaner and there's less of them. There are a few innovations, yes, but not 20 years worth.

On the other hand, this is pinball, so sometimes I'm not really sure of peoples' unrealistic expectations. But in the interactive toy category and just cool things to do on the playfield, most Sterns are just not that "cool".

#202 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This is a straw man argument if I've ever seen one.
"Everyone always talks about Stern's innovations in pinball"?! Really? Who here at Pinside is always talking about Stern's innovation in pinball??
Oh, never mind. I see that you said "everyone" so I guess that covers it.

Talk about a straw man argument. You are fixated on my use of the word "everyone". Okay, "everyone" is a stretch. I would think that maybe you wouldn't take the "everyone" so literally. How about "lots of people" instead? There are plenty of posts about how the new Sterns make the B/W games look so "old" and "outdated". Really? How?

Sterns are largely fast and furious. That does make them fun. But, how about a little diversity? At least Avengers added some diversity in terms of layout, albeit one major (but flawed) toy. POTC had several interactive toys. I really can't think of a Stern game post POTC that has had more cool sh**. I hate to keep referring to B/W games as I wouldn't have the affinity for them that I do if they weren't the best at what they did (in my view).

As for those in this thread stating that Stern and its investors are making a killing. You're right. And you're enabling them by buying any generic-playing game that they put out. I like a lot of Sterns and I've owned a lot of Sterns, but they could try harder.

#203 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This isn't Breaking Bad!

Hey, we agree on something. It does happen every so often.

#225 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

to debate this point.

PotC has:
-spinning disc
-Treasure chest
-Sinking ship (the ship is one of the best ever toys)

-also has an up kicker.

XMLE has:
-Nightcrawler toys (very cool)
-Wolverine interactive magnet
-Spinning Disk magnet
-Locking mechanism under Magneto
-moving Ice ramp

-upkicker
-Scoop
-post blockers
-3 flippers

What can I say, but touche? I would like to buy an XMLE if the opportunity arises, actually. Thanks for reminding me. But, can you think of any others? I think an "upkicker" being something to get all excited about just speaks to my point, for the most part.

#231 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You should be comparing POTC to XMEN Pro as that is more in line with the price of each. Wait, isn't this a TWD thread??

You've been on Pinside long enough to see a thread mutate. Furthermore, POTC is closer to XMLE in price as HUO POTC is $4500, XMLE is in the high 4's, 5K at best. XM pro is in mid 3's.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.95
$ 26.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider usandthem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/walking-dead-video-uploading?tu=usandthem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.