Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giant-breast-woody-allen_l.jpg
Gary Stern with Santiago Ciuffos Pinball book.jpg
walking dead instructions.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

i think it looks great. not sure about the curved metal up by the pops that the ball commonly land on and rolls back to the pops. then hits a pop and rolls back up 6-8 inches and back down. seems a little awkward to me.

I have some reservations, I'm not sure if I like how much the ball may be in the pops, one of my complaint in PotC is when you are in the saucer and the ball is ejected to the pops sometimes the ball will roll back tonthe saucer and then it's back to the pops. Can kill the flow if the ball is in the pops too much.

Quoted from MMP:

The well walker looks ridiculously large.

I am not quite sure if I liked the well walker bash toy, as it's close and gets hit a lot, it may have been better as a Iron Monger type figure that is not always up but instead just comes out now and then (or like the Balrog on LOTR) or if the walker was a bit smaller in scale.

Love the dots and the long ramps will be nice.

Finally, not sure I like the call outs or constant screaming etc,, seems very dark, I understand it's the theme is dark but this may get depressing after a while.

Holding final judgment until I see the game in person.

#37 9 years ago

Maybe at York?

#215 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think that the Walking Dead is a great theme for a pin. However, at today's NIB prices I think Stern could have offered more with TWD Pro and LE. I thought that the prison toy would have an additional shot or feature behind the zombie head. Maybe a ball lock, a kicker, or even a couple more zombie heads to shoot at. Sadly that is not the case and there seems to be a lot of wasted space with the prison. Also, how does a game like MET Pro get metal rails and ramps and several unique toys yet the same cannot be said with TWD? Where's the unique toys other then the two bash targets? I do like the new magnet design and think it will provide for some cool gameplay. Even with the new magnet though I don't see enough unique toys and features to justify the price. For $4,500-$5k the pro model should at least have the crossbow toy and fire button. Thankfully Lyman is on the code which should make for some fun and interesting modes.

I actually agree with you. I would not say it's only the toys that interest me, I like the ramps as well. But to me, Met or IM VE 'seem' to be better and are proven good. I would say with Stern, it's a 50:50 chance, could be good could be bad. I mean TF, BBH, TRS, AV, Mustang, Avatar do not set the world on fire but then you also have Tron, IM, AcDC, Metallica which (IMO) are very superior (toy count does not make them great).

IMO, this is a case, I really need to be convinced that it's a sure fire winner before I plunk down $4600 or $7600.

I will say the same thing about The Hobbit and on. I am not just buying a game based on a cool theme.

#222 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

POTC had several interactive toys. I really can't think of a Stern game post POTC that has had more cool sh**.

to debate this point.

PotC has:
-spinning disc
-Treasure chest
-Sinking ship (the ship is one of the best ever toys)

-also has an up kicker.

XMLE has:
-Nightcrawler toys (very cool)
-Wolverine interactive magnet
-Spinning Disk magnet
-Locking mechanism under Magneto
-moving Ice ramp

-upkicker
-Scoop
-post blockers
-3 flippers

Quoted from usandthem:

As for those in this thread stating that Stern and its investors are making a killing. You're right. And you're enabling them by buying any generic-playing game that they put out. I like a lot of Sterns and I've owned a lot of Sterns, but they could try harder.

I don't know what Stern or it's investors are making, and I absolutely agree that they could/should try harder. 100% agree with that.

But my counter argument is, sometimes it's a little support that keeps a company in business. I didn't think of that when I bought PotC at the time, I was just thinking it was cool. But over the past 10+ years it has been Gary that has kept the home fires burning. I kind of think everyone that buys Stern or has in the past has done a little to keep the industry alive. I know we sling a lot of crap at Gary, but without Stern, I don't think we would be here on Pinside. I mean what just talking about 15 year old games? I like the fact that Stern has made IM, Tron, SM, AcDc, XMLE, Met, STLE and others. I think without us people who do buy Stern games they might have gone under or at might have been a shell of what they are now.

#233 9 years ago

Making a pinball machine is probably harder than some people realize, not it's not on the same level as building a car or a cell phone. But it's not just slapping a few doodads together.

Just look at Skit-B who had a whitewood prototype 2-3 years ago and still no pin.

JJP has a rough time, Jpop don't get me started. I know AMH seems to have done it in a short time. But I am not sure it's much/any better than a typical Stern pro. I know it's got different features but I think it has more rough edges. (from what I saw at Allentown, it was not fully working all the time).

I think Stern, has to pay a lot for theme/license such as XM, SM, ST, Tron, TWD, TRS, Met, AcDc these are A-List marques. If they were sports teams they'd be the Yankees, the Cowboys, the Steelers (etc..).

I know Stern could make unlicensed themes, but likely they feel they'll sell more X-Men (for example) than a game about "a group of characters who don't like each other" no-name theme.

I think Stern does just enough to justify whatever they can sell the games at. I think they make a decent profit but so do GM and Starbucks and Apple and Sony. If most people don't think so, they won't sell any and will either lower their price or go under.

Until JJP starts making many more games per year, or PPS (but as well Stern is making something off PPS so it don't hurt as much). Until enough boutiques start shipping or another full line company come along (doubtful). Stern is still one of the only sources of $4600 new pins.

#242 9 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Do you realize that ALL the games you just listed as being GREAT are the ones Lyman developed the code on, and only one of the so-so games had Lyman involved? It looks like you should get TWD because Lyman is doing it.

Wasn't Lyman involved in TRS, Avatar and BBH?

#265 9 years ago

Also, with the pro Metallica as well, they remove the spinners. Not like that is an expensive item,a maybe a couple dollars each. But IMO it's a ploy to gimp the promos that some people feel they'd rather get the premium or LE.

Back in the day Intel made a few different CPU chips, I'm talking 20 years ago, one chip was the same as another except they crossed out the math co-processor and sold it at a lower price. Now it wasn't costing any difference to Intel they just crippled one version so they could charge more for the upper level chip.

#266 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Wait.
You are saying that MET or IM seem to be better than TWD based on watching a few minutes of *video* of bad players playing it on beta code where you can't even hear 90% of the sound?
Really?
If you had seen a video of IM under the exact same set of circumstances, you wouldn't have been excited about it either.

I know you are trying to be argumentative which is fine, but I was trying to say IM and Met both of which you say you like are both for sale now, and both have complete code. With TWD yes you have a good track record from prior games. But you don't know for sure if it is any good. Currently IM and Met are probably way better since they are coded. TWD is still a leap of faith.

And while I base my assessment off of playing IM and Met not having played TWD but that where we are, currently from what I see with my eyes TWD is not better the Met or IM or Tron or SM.

I am not going by videos of those older games when they were first revealed, I am going by my personal experience, I have no experience with TWD it's a shot in the dark or a leap of faith at this point, and by Met or ST experience it will be months and months until it can be judged on near complete code.

I recommend playing before buying and probably I recommend waiting for the code to drop which is probably a year from now.

#269 9 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Isn't Intel a multi-billion dollar business now? Seems they did something right

So you're in favor of Stern removing a $3 part from the pro like spinners so that it's less enjoyable thereby making the pro a less appealing pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/walking-dead-video-uploading?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.