• Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giant-breast-woody-allen_l.jpg
Gary Stern with Santiago Ciuffos Pinball book.jpg
walking dead instructions.jpg

There are 322 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 7 years ago

The bash toy does it do anything other than pop up once it's hit (i.e. turn, capture ball)?

#152 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I would have loved the walker to come closer to the flippers in increments....if he gets too close....before you bash him enough...."he eats you" The music and thrill of a Zombie coming at you,

I'm with you on this!!! What a freaky rush that would be . . . to want to keep playing . . . taking a chance to hit him (because the closer he gets the more points you would earn) and kill the bastard before he takes a chop outta ya!

#153 7 years ago

I'm really hoping that multi ball voice is just a place holder for now. That would be a huge draw back for me if that's the narration for this game. HUGE.

Brian

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

The bash toy does it do anything other than pop up once it's hit (i.e. turn, capture ball)?

The prison has a magnet in front of it, which throws the ball around when you hit it. The Well Walker has a rubber stop mounted on it, which absorbs the energy of the ball. It doesn't hold it, or do anything with it (at least on the Pro).

#155 7 years ago

At the show I also talked to both Gary and Stern investor Dave Peterson. Dave had some interesting news. The parts that I could share, mainly about Stern moving, I wrote down in a new post on www.pinball-magazine.com. I also added a post about new posters by Santiago Ciuffo being available as of now. Check it out!

#156 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Actually one of my early ideas was re-purposing the BSD Mist Multiball feature in this sense. I was thinking you could have two "zombies" moving across the playfield, each toward a different outlane. You have to hit them in time to get the ball, otherwise it carries the ball to the outlane and drains it.
To that end, if you had a magnet on a track that could "park" near the outlanes when not in use, they could be user controlled with a second set of flipper buttons to pulse on, and they could serve a second function like the magna-saves in the BK, JL, SF, Pharaoh games.
Could be innovative and retro all at the same time.

I agree. Everyone always talks about Stern's innovations in pinball. What innovations? Stern designs of the last 5 years are all pretty much fast and simple. Toys are sparse. There is nothing even remotely innovative (except for maybe color changing LED's) Mist multi-ball is in a 21 year old game. If Stern did that, they'd call it a super-premium and charge 9K for it.

#157 7 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

I'm really hoping that multi ball voice is just a place holder for now. That would be a huge draw back for me if that's the narration for this game. HUGE.
Brian

Mustang 1.0 had that horse whinny every time you hit the spinner, and that was dropped, so i wouldn't lose sleep over it.

#158 7 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

At the show I also talked to both Gary and Stern investor Dave Peterson. Dave had some interesting news. The parts that I could share, mainly about Stern moving, I wrote down in a new post on http://www.pinball-magazine.com. I also added a post about new posters by Santiago Ciuffo being available as of now. Check it out!

From your post:

In the new facility Stern is planning to build 4 assembly lines, including one for The Pin.

Really shocking. We all declared it a disaster, but yet they do a new run of them every year. So what do we know?

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

WAY WAY too many clear/white inserts on the playfield.
3 color LE GI will help but aren't there only a few full color inserts on the LE?

I agree, and that may be where the LE [Premium?] stands out from the Pro with RBG lighting.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Just my 2-cents....
I love everything about this except.........
I would like to see more innovation in toys.

The Pros today seem to have less interactive toys than Pro models of the past.

#160 7 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I agree. Everyone always talks about Stern's innovations in pinball. What innovations? Stern designs of the last 5 years are all pretty much fast and simple. Toys are sparse. Their is nothing even remotely innovative (except for maybe color changing LED's) Mist multi-ball is in a 21 year old game. If Stern did that, they'd call it a super-premium and charge 9K for it.

If that new magnet design stops the play field from getting chewed up, I'd possibly call that innovative.

Also, metal/plastic leg plates that stop decal tearing/wrinkling was well thought out.

#161 7 years ago

I think this game needs a pop bumper removal of avoidance mod. Be exciting to see what can be done.

#162 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Mustang 1.0 had that horse whinny every time you hit the spinner, and that was dropped, so i wouldn't lose sleep over it.

X-Men 1.0 had shitty Beast and so does the "final" version of the code.

#163 7 years ago

Very odd that stern went with no character voices, or TV audio captures. They were there before.

#164 7 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Very odd that stern went with no character voices, or TV audio captures. They were there before.

Well, I'm going to add this in when the ball drains.

#165 7 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

That's a big downer... especially considering all the great possibilities

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Very odd that stern went with no character voices, or TV audio captures. They were there before

Are you certain of that? If so maybe your source was playing a later developed code then what was released for the show.

#167 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

If that new magnet design stops the play field from getting chewed up, I'd possibly call that innovative.
Also, metal/plastic leg plates that stop decal tearing/wrinkling was well thought out.

True. But, isn't that really small potatoes in the grand scheme of things? Heck, most B/W magnets were hidden below the playfield so you couldn't even see the core. Seeing the core is NOT attractive. Sure, after many years, the playfield might sustain some damage, but not within a month of hard playing like on the magnetic Stern games. The metal cab protectors are cool. Circuit boards are cleaner and there's less of them. There are a few innovations, yes, but not 20 years worth.

On the other hand, this is pinball, so sometimes I'm not really sure of peoples' unrealistic expectations. But in the interactive toy category and just cool things to do on the playfield, most Sterns are just not that "cool".

#168 7 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

WAY WAY too many clear/white inserts on the playfield.

I will help fix this with some nice reds, maybe greens and purples...No biggie, maybe $20-$30 to dress it up!

#169 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I will help fix this with some nice reds, maybe greens and purples...No biggie, maybe $20-$30 to dress it up!

This guy KNOWS what he's talking' about!

#170 7 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

I'm with you on this!!! What a freaky rush that would be . . . to want to keep playing . . . taking a chance to hit him (because the closer he gets the more points you would earn) and kill the bastard before he takes a chop outta ya!

Ive been bugging Gary for a Job for almost 40 years!!

I truly wish they would design a game, by giving us the title, and in an open forum on their site, let pinheads share suggestions.....what a killer game could come from hundreds, if not more experienced pinheads, in the innovative category.....

#171 7 years ago

Thanks for posting the videos!

I think that the Walking Dead is a great theme for a pin. However, at today's NIB prices I think Stern could have offered more with TWD Pro and LE. I thought that the prison toy would have an additional shot or feature behind the zombie head. Maybe a ball lock, a kicker, or even a couple more zombie heads to shoot at. Sadly that is not the case and there seems to be a lot of wasted space with the prison. Also, how does a game like MET Pro get metal rails and ramps and several unique toys yet the same cannot be said with TWD? Where's the unique toys other then the two bash targets? I do like the new magnet design and think it will provide for some cool gameplay. Even with the new magnet though I don't see enough unique toys and features to justify the price. For $4,500-$5k the pro model should at least have the crossbow toy and fire button. Thankfully Lyman is on the code which should make for some fun and interesting modes.

#172 7 years ago

The initial images of the playfield left a TON to the imagination. What's inside of the prison? What does the well-walker do? Ball flow? I spent several days imagining what kind of coolness Stern could pop-out.

I really like recent Stern titles. AC/DC is simply awesome. Met (while I can't stand the band) is cool. I've enjoyed games on Mustang. Star Trek really captures the feel and mood of the flicks...

Granted, the guy videoed playing this game (not Gary) kept the ball alive but it wasn't exactly a skilled attack. But it's hard not to be a bit disappointed that the zombie head in the Prison is essentially a stiff target...that the large well-walker toy has minimal movement.

Where is the POP???

I believe the LE will offer quite a bit. But I have to say, for $7600-$7700...it leaves the door open to see what other options might be out there: The Hobbit. The Big Lebowski. We are talking nearly equal price points.

I felt 85% committed to the TWD when I saw the art package. WOW. It is so cool. The weapons insert. The prison... It looked to capture the darkness of the show. But it's not hard to admit that there is some air let out of the balloon seeing that the game lacks some kind of wow factor. At least a total wow factor from the video.

I will hold out final judgement until I step up to the game and give it a few chances. And I do believe the LE will play completely different than the Pro. I wish I was a fan of Metallica...I just can't get into their music...because that's still looking like the most desirable Stern title of recent.

I hope the TWD can prove this wrong. I'd love to buy the LE and be smitten with it...the theme is fantastic, just like the show.

#173 7 years ago

I agree the game looks fun but I just don't see where the value is for the asking price, pro and LE, for the home buyer.
Although I bet this game will kill it on location.

#174 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

But I have to say, for $7600-$7700...it leaves the door open to see what other options might be out there: The Hobbit. The Big Lebowski. We are talking nearly equal price points.

yeah twd making it into my home has gone completely off the rails for me, i really anticipated more. tbl, hobbit, and pats original theme pin are on my radar now.

maybe stern knew what they were doing by not offering a premium version judging by the way it is shaping up?

#175 7 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Although I bet this game will kill it on location.

I think this game will be a huge earner for operators. Regardless of the toys I found it very addictive and fun to play. Just hope many will feel the same after playing it.

#176 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I truly wish they would design a game, by giving us the title, and in an open forum on their site, let pinheads share suggestions.....what a killer game could come from hundreds, if not more experienced pinheads, in the innovative category.....

I can just imagine hundreds of pinheads trying to come together on a pinball game and agree on anything. Much worse than Congress!

Good idea in theory……..

#177 7 years ago

regular joe in an arcade won't see the differences and that's what stern/op are looking for. they have no idea about the cost or rules, toys or whatever.
will stern or the investors change anything, nope, it's working why would they.

#178 7 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

I think this game will be a huge earner for operators. Regardless of the toys I found it very addictive and fun to play. Just hope many will feel the same after playing it.

From what I see, I'm gonna love it.

As for the lack of toys, creativity and interaction, the days of Rudy, TAF, TZ, MB and Roadshow are over, heck, we can't even get a big buck/zombie crossing a play field these days, well maybe not with Lawlor coming out in 2015

All you have to do is go back and read the interviews pertaining to the heyday of the 90's, the budget is no longer there to create that kind of pin anymore.

Face the facts, Stern and Investors are making big bucks with this current model, big time Rudy head toy mechs cost a lot of money to design and then integrate.

Should they be doing more for the $$$ is another question!

#179 7 years ago

Murphy's Law of filming a new pin: There will always be a ST nearby with the volume set to 15. Good vids tho.

#180 7 years ago

Looks boring to me...

Robert

#181 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The LE is going to play so much different than this game. I predict that the magnet in front of Wellverine will turn it into a very fun and unpredictable bash toy. Crossbow should be pretty cool as well. Would I have liked to have seen something cooler done with the jail? Absolutely, but I still think all the ingredients are there for a really fun pinball experience. I'm just damn glad Lyman is steering the ship on this one.

I agree, especially with your last sentence. I'll be honest, if it weren't for the fact that this is my most wanted theme and Lyman is doing the code, I'd be out.

#182 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

As for the lack of toys, creativity and interaction, the days of Rudy, TAF, TZ, MB and roadshow are over, heck, we can't even get a big buck/zombie crossing a play field these days, well maybe not with Lawlor coming out in 2015
All you have to do is go back and read the interviews pertaining to the heyday of the 90's, the budget is no longer there to create that kind of pin anymore.
Face the facts, Stern and Investors are making big bucks with this current model, big time Rudy head toy mechs cost a lot of money to design and then integrate.

yes!

#183 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I agree, especially with your last sentence. I'll be honest, if it weren't for the fact that this is my most wanted theme and Lyman is doing the code, I'd be out.

^^^^^^ This! although for this kinda scratch Lyman better leave a gold turd in the back box!

#184 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

As for the lack of toys, creativity and interaction, the days of Rudy, TAF, TZ, MB and roadshow are over, heck, we can't even get a big buck/zombie crossing a play field these days, well maybe not with Lawlor coming out in 2019

^^^ I corrected the date for you.

I don't believe innovation still isn't possible. WOZ and AMH both have cool mechanical action. It's possible.

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

good luck, i hope it works out for you this time. lyman on code will be a safe bet imo.

#186 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

That's a big downer... especially considering all the great possibilities

Is this show known for its great acting or quotable characters? I've only seen a few episodes...and it seemed like a lot of drama and exposition. Seems like for a pinball machine the action/blood/gore/zombie killing would be the focus, and lack of the TV show narrative wouldn't hurt the game.

But I dunno, I don't know the license that well. Personally, I think the best route for licensed audio packages is liberal use of show clips +1 or 2 custom voices (preferably actors from the license). This has worked well for Spider-Man (movie clips +J.K Simmons custom), Avatar (movie clips +Stephen Lang custom), Family Guy (show clips +Seth MacFarlane custom), Simpsons, LOTR and others. That being said - POTC used nothing from the films and turned out fine. Aside from a few complaints, I think most people like the voices/narrative used for the game. Certainly didn't hurt sales.

#187 7 years ago

#188 7 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I agree. Everyone always talks about Stern's innovations in pinball. What innovations? Stern designs of the last 5 years are all pretty much fast and simple. Toys are sparse. There is nothing even remotely innovative (except for maybe color changing LED's) Mist multi-ball is in a 21 year old game. If Stern did that, they'd call it a super-premium and charge 9K for it.

This is a straw man argument if I've ever seen one.

"Everyone always talks about Stern's innovations in pinball"?! Really? Who here at Pinside is always talking about Stern's innovation in pinball??

Oh, never mind. I see that you said "everyone" so I guess that covers it.

#189 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Is this show known for its great acting or quotable characters?

No.

And I say that as a big fan of the show. There are some decent quotes in that Youtube video posted by Cleland, but still, the show is not known for a lot of great quotes, and acting is average.

This isn't Breaking Bad!

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Is this show known for its great acting or quotable characters? I've only seen a few episodes...and it seemed like a lot of drama and exposition. Seems like for a pinball machine the action/blood/gore/zombie killing would be the focus, and lack of the TV show narrative wouldn't hurt the game.
But I dunno, I don't know the license that well. Personally, I think the best route for licensed audio packages is liberal use of show clips +1 or 2 custom voices (preferably actors from the license). This has worked well for Spider-Man (movie clips +J.K Simmons custom), Avatar (movie clips +Stephen Lang custom), Family Guy (show clips +Seth MacFarlane custom), Simpsons, LOTR and others. That being said - POTC used nothing from the films and turned out fine. Aside from a few complaints, I think most people like the voices/narrative used for the game. Certainly didn't hurt sales.

If you watched the show, yes (I believe), there are TONS of quotable moments coming from some very tense and crazy evil scenes.

#191 7 years ago

I don't want to cast my final judgment, but this just doesn't look that great. Makes you wonder why the audio was turned down. I could hear IM 2 pins down, & every word of Star Trek. Are they hiding something? Last complaint: Well Walker Zombie. That thing makes the Wolverine toy in X-men look cutting edge! Just plain bad. I'm thinking the honeymoon is over for me. Next!

#192 7 years ago

those outlanes sure look hungry .

#193 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Is this show known for its great acting or quotable characters?

"Get in the house Carl!!" LoL

#194 7 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

But, isn't that really small potatoes in the grand scheme of things?

Agreed, small, but really cool stuff that should have been developed a long time ago. How many Monster Bash's would not have to have new decals put on?

Oh, and one other thing to give Stern kudo's for (for the time being). As an OP, I can still purchase a NiB pinball for under 5K from someone. No other company is doing that.

#195 7 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Last complaint: Well Walker Zombie. That thing makes the Wolverine toy in X-men look cutting edge! Just plain bad. I'm thinking the honeymoon is over for me. Next!

Are you serious? Wolverine was a poorly mounted & poorly designed toy that can break easily from ball hits & blocks important shots or the ice ramp if it's mounted a millimeter off one way or the other. I'm not a fan of torso character bash toys, but the Well Walker absolutely addresses the issues with Wolverine and looks to be a much better design - and has a 'change state' as well (cut in half, exposing guts).

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

As for the lack of toys, creativity and interaction, the days of Rudy, TAF, TZ, MB and roadshow are over, heck, we can't even get a big buck/zombie crossing a play field these days, well maybe not with Lawlor coming out in 2015

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Good points. Stern is placing more emphasis on profits then innovation. Sure big profits are nice but there's a downside to that mindset and it's called lazyness. It happened to Kodak a company that sat on the digital camera tech that they invented only to not release it out of fear of losing profits on film. However, the film profits eventually dried up and by the time they released a digital camera it was too late. Stern needs to get mean again and innovate. It's time for them to put an LCD in their machines and offer value + complete code with every title rather then only occasionally.

Eventually Sterns mindset of profits over value and innovation will catch up with them and those profits will go to companies that are actually innovating / offering value like JJP and Dutch Pinball. Proof of that is those companies existence.

#197 7 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Last complaint: Well Walker Zombie. That thing makes the Wolverine toy in X-men look cutting edge! Just plain bad.

Huh?

I'm not a fan of Wolverine, but the Well Walker looks to be much better than Wolverine. Wolverine was just plain bad. At least the Well Walker acts more like you would expect that character to act when being bashed with the ball. He rocks back like he is about to be cut in half...just like on the episode where he appeared.

How did bashing Wolverine make any sense again?

Edit: Rarehero beat me. lol

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

In the new facility Stern is planning to build 4 assembly lines, including one for The Pin.

Really shocking. We all declared it a disaster, but yet they do a new run of them every year. So what do we know?

It's not shocking at all really. We're not the audience for it. Pinside declaring it a disaster doesn't actually mean much. They sell them to people who go into showrooms to look at billiards tables, not pinball collectors.

#199 7 years ago

Same discussion every Stern title -- Pro lacks the toys everyone thinks should be in a game, and LE is the only way to get it. With LE pricing on par with all other full featured games (WOZ, TH, MMr, etc), it becomes a tough choice.

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Are you serious? Wolverine was a poorly mounted & poorly designed toy that can break easily from ball hits & blocks important shots or the ice ramp if it's mounted a millimeter off one way or the other. I'm not a fan of torso character bash toys, but the Well Walker absolutely addresses the issues with Wolverine and looks to be a much better design - and has a 'change state' as well (cut in half, exposing guts).

It seems big & in the way. Looking forward to a play test. I want this pin to be good! Love the theme!

There are 322 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside