Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giant-breast-woody-allen_l.jpg
Gary Stern with Santiago Ciuffos Pinball book.jpg
walking dead instructions.jpg
There are 322 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Game looks great. I'm not much of a player, but it strikes me as a better version of Metallica.
LTG : )™

You sold me. I love Metallica!

#102 9 years ago

Just my 2-cents....

I love everything about this except.........

I would like to see more innovation in toys.
The effort made to have his guts show, is about it.
When we were chatting among other pinheads, a great suggestion came up.
Much like BBH, where the deer moves, or MB, Drac, or Mick, in RS I would have loved the walker to come closer to the flippers in increments....if he gets too close....before you bash him enough...."he eats you" The music and thrill of a Zombie coming at you, would have been similar in Developed costs, and been much more exciting.
Now you have the prison, Bash the doors, bash the head...all that real estate. Does the ball go into the prison? I would hope thats a lock area, with great sounds and lights, like you are battling a zombie. Maybe the Zombie in there is bashed backwards, or has different Zombies, that rotate for different awards...i am a toy guy on my pins, and a few touches, to make this unique, and gain some
of the "stress" of Zombie battling, would have been my dream....but happy to see it made regardless.

#103 9 years ago

too bad we couldn't hear anything.
code seems very very basic, when will stern understand that a good code before putting the machine out in public is important?

heard a machine will be over here in one week, can't wait to try it out and see for myself.

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Much like BBH, where the deer moves, or MB, Drac, or Mick, in RS I would have loved the walker to come closer to the flippers in increments....if he gets too close....before you bash him enough...."he eats you" The music and thrill of a Zombie coming at you, would have been similar in Developed costs, and been much more exciting.

Actually one of my early ideas was re-purposing the BSD Mist Multiball feature in this sense. I was thinking you could have two "zombies" moving across the playfield, each toward a different outlane. You have to hit them in time to get the ball, otherwise it carries the ball to the outlane and drains it.

To that end, if you had a magnet on a track that could "park" near the outlanes when not in use, they could be user controlled with a second set of flipper buttons to pulse on, and they could serve a second function like the magna-saves in the BK, JL, SF, Pharaoh games.

Could be innovative and retro all at the same time.

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

When will Stern understand that a good code before putting the machine out in public is important?

As soon as they stop selling out all their LE's within days of them going on sale.

#106 9 years ago

First off, thanks a lot to the OP for posting the video!

My initial though was "SHUT THE HELL UP STAR TREK!!!".

I agree with others that there seems to be a bit too much pop bumper action. Need more flow to the game. Ramps seem tougher to hit.

I also completely agree that they MUST change the "prison multiball" voice. That is horrible. It doesn't fit in the game at all. It sounded horrible in Mustang. Even worse here. For the love of God Stern, please change that voice and never use it in this game. It may fit in BBH but not TWD.

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

when will stern understand that a good code before putting the machine out in public is important?

it isn't important to all the day one le buyers so why should this be important to stern?

#108 9 years ago

thanks for the video. i have gone to the position of neutral after watching that video.when code is done in a year let's see where it stands with all the other new stuff coming out from the competition.

#109 9 years ago

we all know it's gonna take at least one year before the code is decent.

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Couple people mentioned sound and I think thats where Im most skeptical on this one. Tron's sound package was spot on, and I think Walking Dead needs a tone like the show. Maybe the announcer from 'Previously on Walking Dead' would work?

The "Prison multiball!" and "Well hell, it looks like we got ourselves a splitter!" callouts are HORRIBLE. I don't want to hear Hillbilly Carnival Barker, I want to hear TWD.

But who knows, the Lars and Kirk callouts in Metallica are pretty bad too, but the rest of the audio is great. I guess cross my fingers?

Dots are fantastic though.

#111 9 years ago

Just got home and watched my own videos. The one I uploaded to youtube was shot with a digital camera and looks a lot better than the one with Gary flipping the game. Besides the sounds from IMVE and ST there was also a lot of noise on the showfloor from the next door neighbor with their inflatable stand.

The ramps may seem steep, but are doable. I had very few balls not make it all the way round. When the ball comes back they're very catchable, or they hit the slingshot first. Most stdm drains come from the prison magnet.

In the youtube video the player actually does stack Prison MB and Well Walker MB, which explain the 4 balls in play. unstacked Prison MB is 3 balls, unstacked WW MB is 2 balls.

The music in the video is indeed pretty crappy, but from what I could here the soundtrack is pretty cool. I was hoping to shoot a video with better sound when the show closed, but in order to get people to leave they had to cut the power and wouldn't turn it back on.

I did play IMVE as well, which has weaker slings than TWD. That could just be a setting, or the contacts may need adjusting. TWD as I played it is a very fast game which is mostly played at the tips of the flippers. A lot of shots come back at the tips, which makes it quite challenging. As I'm not familiar with the TV show I can't judge how authentic the voicecalls are. They didn't bother me. Not even after playing 40+ games today.

The current software seems to be far enough along to keep novice and average players at the game. After playing the two MBs I found the game focusses more on the other games / objectives. The small yellow inserts light up in various combinations. Didn't figure out yet what they do / accomplish.

I didn't see any RGB lightng in the pro. The head in the prison does not move and you can't lock balls in the prison. In fact there is no locking balls at all. Spell PRISON or WELL and after another shot the mode starts. Then you have to shoot all the red arrows to start Prison MB, or shoot the Well Walker 6 times to start WW MB. At least, that's what it looked like to me.

I've seen some complaints about the ball being too much in the popbumpers. Basically that's the only place on the playfield where you can catch your breath as the rest of the game is fast, fast ,fast. The right loop shot goes through the pops into the loop, the left loop most of the time ends in the popbumpers, so no chance of looping that. Both ramp shots are very loopable and each rampshot has combo shots aligned to it. I put in a couple of high scores, with the highest being 54M. Love the 2 X Playfield Value feature, but don't know yet how to start that. EB is lit when killing 7 walkers, which basically is making every shot in the game once. I did spot a small 'bug'. The EB shot feeds the ball back to the shooterlane. However, if you drain when EB is lit and plunge the next ball it automatically awards the EB. I also had a few times that I started one of the Multiballs by just plunging the 2nd or 3rd ball.

So is it a fun game? Well, if I didn't like it I don't think I would have played it 40+ times

#112 9 years ago

Thanks for the info. I have possible trade offer for one (an LE) and am on the fence a little bit. My last NIB was STLE and I've loved it but told myself I wasn't going to get another but I may just go ahead. Tough decision.

#113 9 years ago

Has there been any confirmation: is there any dialogue from the show at all?

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

Really? SIGN ME UP! Metallica is awesome!
I own 3 Borg games, so I'm sure I'll love this one, too.

Tron and IM are two of my all time favorite pins. Borg designed them both.

He also designed my least favorite pin that I've owned: XM.

No guarantees just because it's Borg.

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from Alphajerk3000:

Has there been any confirmation: is there any dialogue from the show at all?

Confirmed a while ago. No dialog from the show.

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

I've seen some complaints about the ball being too much in the popbumpers. Basically that's the only place on the playfield where you can catch your breath as the rest of the game is fast, fast ,fast. The right loop shot goes through the pops into the loop, the left loop most of the time ends in the popbumpers, so no chance of looping that. Both ramp shots are very loopable and each rampshot has combo shots aligned to it.

This is consistent with what I posted before. Flow actually seems very good. Lots of people complaining about the pop bumper action, but like you said, that's about the only thing that ever even slows the ball down. Honestly, the last thing that I'm worried about is pop bumper action.

#117 9 years ago

TWD artwork looks really cool. But I think, after seeing the vid, this game does not have a significant re-playability... (read: boring)

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I thought it was only confirmed that there would be no custom VO from anyone associated with the show?

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

TWD artwork looks really cool. But I think, after seeing the vid, this game does not have a significant re-playability... (read: boring)

Go find a video of early ACDC or Metallica code and then rethink that post.

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I thought it was only confirmed that there would be no custom VO from anyone associated with the show?

No dialogue from the show, confirmed. That's why the flyer only mentions the music.

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No dialogue from the show, confirmed. That's why the flyer only mentions the music.

Got it. Can't win 'em all I guess.

#122 9 years ago

Well at about the 5 minute mark Gary hits the left orbit and it comes cleanly around not hitting the pops, so that's good. Don't want too much pop bumper action.

#123 9 years ago

MEH hardly amazing am a big Borg fan have 2 in my collection but I am underwhelmed by those videos. Don't have the budget for an LE, don't see any need to race out for a Pro. At $7k for a Pro here better off waiting a year or so for decent code and picking one up for 5 to 6k, and if I am wrong and it's the worlds best game then there is no chance of missing out if production runs of AC/DC are any indication.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

after playing 40+ games today.

I've owned games that I sold after less than 40 games. So it must be fun.

#125 9 years ago

Playfield in attract mode video:

#126 9 years ago

part 2. This also shows the ball entry and skill shot:

#127 9 years ago

WAY WAY too many clear/white inserts on the playfield.
3 color LE GI will help but aren't there only a few full color inserts on the LE?

#128 9 years ago

The LE is going to play so much different than this game. I predict that the magnet in front of Wellverine will turn it into a very fun and unpredictable bash toy. Crossbow should be pretty cool as well. Would I have liked to have seen something cooler done with the jail? Absolutely, but I still think all the ingredients are there for a really fun pinball experience. I'm just damn glad Lyman is steering the ship on this one.

#129 9 years ago

It sounds like ST & IM are getting a lot of games

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Quoted from Aurich:

Confirmed: I'm out. I got really excited by this game, and I had quotes to buy one. I was just waiting to see what they did. Seriously, I don't care about the rules at this stage of the game because I know it is just in its infancy. Even seeing the gameplay didn't worry me that much because I realize what a skilled programmer can do with a game (for an example see AC/DC). But the theme had to be delivered. I was even fine with no custom callouts. But nothing from any of the actors? Without that it really is just a generic zombie theme (except for the AMC all over it).

#131 9 years ago

In between all his appointments Gary had time to show his favorite new pinball book: PINBALL by Santiago Ciuffo (available on www.pinball-magazine.com)
Gary Stern with Santiago Ciuffos Pinball book.jpgGary Stern with Santiago Ciuffos Pinball book.jpg

#132 9 years ago

I just moved this thread to the "Stern" sub-forum. I also closed the other video thread.

#133 9 years ago

Just wish we could hear the audio. ST and IM are killing it in the sound dept so far.

#134 9 years ago

looks fun to me, I hope for a video mode where the ball goes back to the shooter lane

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Confirmed: I'm out. I got really excited by this game, and I had quotes to buy one. I was just waiting to see what they did. Seriously, I don't care about the rules at this stage of the game because I know it is just in its infancy. Even seeing the gameplay didn't worry me that much because I realize what a skilled programmer can do with a game (for an example see AC/DC). But the theme had to be delivered. I was even fine with no custom callouts. But nothing from any of the actors? Without that it really is just a generic zombie theme (except for the AMC all over it).

I too am discouraged by the fact that there are no voice clips from the show. It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it seems like an odd decision by Stern.

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm not sure if I like how much the ball may be in the pops... Can kill the flow if the ball is in the pops too much.

Agree.

I too am worried that too many shots lead to the pops. I watched that player doing a lot of watching and waiting for the ball.

The better fan layouts have (diverters?) that sometimes allow for nice flow (orbit shot), and sometimes flow-kill by sending the ball into the pops.

Once again, we are seeing "Safe pops". It's part of Stern's winning formula in 2014.

-mof

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

In between all his appointments Gary had time to show his favorite new pinball book: PINBALL by Santiago Ciuffo (available on http://www.pinball-magazine.com)

Great pic! Thanks!

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

3 color LE GI will help but aren't there only a few full color inserts on the LE?

true, but on the pro you can change the led's or put color filters under the inserts to change the color.
you can also put some nice color leds for the GI

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I F ing love it! 3 minutes of video? Come on people!
Another pin that needed an Lcd, calling Mike!
Yes the Well Walker is too big I think, have to judge when I get my hands on it but I can see a mod on that one. Looks like it will be real easy to replace.
RGR, beers on me down under brother, shoot us a nice video for the weekend!

I have several cool ideas in mind

I just have to get a machine here in the workshop and see what makes the most sense. Right now I’m leaning towards a colorized DMD or maybe a modified Prison toy that incorporates an LCD. The obvious choice is to do something similar to ACDC above the right ramp (like a Scared Stiff Zombie head pile). We’ll see – need a game first.

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I too am discouraged by the fact that there are no voice clips from the show. It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it seems like an odd decision by Stern.

Not having at least character audio clips from the show being it is licensed is a bit odd but like I said I hope Pinball Browser works. As far as it goes for flow I have a feeling with the extra magnet that the flow may differ from the pro, the only slowing of the game might be loading the crossbow, bashing bicycle girl might be the same as the barn zombie.

Not a deal breaker for me, I'm still in and if I don't really care for it I'm sure TWD maniacs in my family still will so they will have a title that they all enjoy and play.

#141 9 years ago

Thanks for posting the videos. I think the game has a lot of potential.

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

According to the feature matrix, arrows and star rollovers are the inserts with full RGB. It looks like there are at least five arrows...which of the inserts are star rollovers? The two near the skill shot?

#143 9 years ago

With Pinball Browser and youtube links like this it shouldn't be too hard to replace speech with lines from the show.

#144 9 years ago

season 1...before Daryl found that hair dye and got hip.

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

With Pinball Browser and youtube links like this it shouldn't be too hard to replace speech with lines from the show.
» YouTube video

Exactly, and video clips as soon as Mike figures it out!

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Wow, a WD pin and no dialog at all from the show?? Very disappointing.

#147 9 years ago

Considering Norman Reedus has done at least 1 video game (that I can think of), I just don't get not having him or anyone else from the show do any of the voice work.

That being said, I'm still really looking forward to getting my LE and killing some walkers.

#148 9 years ago

Even if this pin whistled Dixie out of its ass I'd still love it! Theme awesome, artwork great (LE for me), theme integrated into the layout as well as Ac/dc, and the icing on the cake is Lyman.

I can see immersing myself into this pin like no other, with an ice chest of my favorite cold and chilly's….does it get any better than that?

#149 9 years ago

You would have thought that Stern would have learned a lesson from the whole Avengers debacle. It just doesn't make any sense to secure such a kick-ass license and then not incorporate any of the actors' voices into the game.

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

In the end I think theme does trump game play

I think so too. I'm saving my criticism until I see the pin in person and play it. Not gonna take a chance though and buy it without 'touching and feeling' first.

Mike in Kentucky

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

There are 322 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/walking-dead-video-uploading/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.