Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pinstein
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8wMDgvNzIzL29yaWdpbmFsL1RoZVdhbGtpbmdEZWFkMDFfcDguanBn (resized).jpeg
    20180116_170154 (resized).jpg
    0C2B0A66-52F0-42AF-9D4A-6DDFBB553AC4 (resized).png
    There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

A few weeks ago I recall reading a few posts regarding TWD Vault. Some rumor and speculation had been made about the vault pro containing walker bombs and spinner. Does anyone have anymore "reliable" info on this topic at all? I fully expect this to be vaulted as it is in my opinion one of Sterns better games within the last few years. Also a game that I feel I will get next. Just don't want to jump the gun too soon on a used pro now if this in fact will hit the market within the coming months.

#2 6 years ago

Would much prefer a Tron VE or LOTR VE but that is selfish reasons cause I already have a loaded TWD Premium that is bolted to my floor.

#3 6 years ago

I know some people have researched when licenses are obtained or re-upped.

Anyone know how to do that? I think that would be a key factor... Have they re-upped on TWD?

#4 6 years ago

I cannot vouch for the accuracy, but I was told last week by a distributor that they are DONE with TWD and have not re-upped the license.

#5 6 years ago

Maybe I'm alone on this one but a pin based off the comic book would not be good to me. When TWD came out I did not buy until a certain someone came out with the real voice actors call outs. Until some real was put into the game alot of it felt to wimpy and cartoon like for it to be a real walking dead game. That said I have played the walking dead comic book games on Xbox as well as mobile app. I thought they were ok just not a kick ass walking dead theme to me like the original. Same with that fear of the walking dead just cant get into it. Love TWD pin its in my collection just I would not see myself buying a softer version of what I already have. That's not an upgrade to me.

It worked on Spiderman but they are too way different themes.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Maybe I'm alone on this one but a pin based off the comic book would not be good to me. When TWD came out I did not buy until a certain someone came out with the real voice actors call outs. Until some real was put into the game alot of it felt to wimpy and cartoon like for it to be a real walking dead game. That said I have played the walking dead comic book games on Xbox as well as mobile app. I thought they were ok just not a kick ass walking dead theme to me like the original. Same with that fear of the walking dead just cant get into it. Love TWD pin its in my collection just I would not see myself buying a softer version of what I already have. That's not an upgrade to me.

Yeah, the Spider-Man VE-style callouts wouldn't be great, but TWD callouts were bad to begin with. @cleland's work made this game awesome. The same thing can be done with the VE.

#7 6 years ago

Softer version? I'm lost as to what you are getting at. What I had read was speculation that a spinner and walker bombs being coded into the pro. Basically adding a couple features that many felt should be in the pro. Not going in the direction of theming it towards the comic.

#8 6 years ago

If they keep it the same with more features then yes it still will be a good game. Some were saying they were goinging to the Comic book style version. If that is the case I think it would be a huge mistake.

#9 6 years ago

I'm sure I saw a YouTube video of someone who added spinners to a pro, can't find it now though.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

What I had read was speculation that a spinner and walker bombs being coded into the pro. Basically adding a couple features that many felt should be in the pro.

Stern has NEVER done anything like this. Not once. They use features like that to differentiate models of their games. If you want Walker Bombs and Spinners, you are going to have to pay the price of at least a Premium to get them.

It wasn't speculation you were reading, it was wishful thinking. And if wishes were horses...

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

And if wishes were horses...

I hate horses

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Stern has NEVER done anything like this. Not once. They use features like that to differentiate models of their games. If you want Walker Bombs and Spinners, you are going to have to pay the price of at least a Premium to get them.

AC/DC Pro+ with bell?

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

If they keep it the same with more features then yes it still will be a good game. Some were saying they were goinging to the Comic book style version. If that is the case I think it would be a huge mistake.

It seems like you are saying that a comic style on this title would be "softer" than TV series style. If that is what you are saying, I am guessing you aren't familiar with the comic. The TV series is as tame as a gerbil by comparison.

#14 6 years ago

I thought TWD was still a current title, no?

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

I thought TWD was still a current title, no?

From what I've been hearing and reading they are making a last run and then that's it.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from moonduckie78:

I cannot vouch for the accuracy, but I was told last week by a distributor that they are DONE with TWD and have not re-upped the license.

I have to laugh at this as distributors have been trying to sell off old stock of TWD for a while. Of course they are going to tell you it is done...

Pretty sure the code update last week was to help distributors get rid of current games as Stern tries to take care of their only real customers (the distributors).

Quoted from DaveH:

Premium model is differentiated for sales at the time. They have zero problem rebooting a game and adding new features and then upcharging for them. Premium model will still be differentiated by bicycle ramp, extra magnet, extra drop.

It is understandable that some prem/LE owners will be frustrated by this IF it happens, but reality is that Stern is very smart when it comes to business. The rebooted IM and SM when people said it would never happen. They did it because there was money to be made. They also added features like LEDs, more animations, light up toys, etc...

Same thing with TWD and reality is that they can do almost no work and sell 1000 games. Adding a spinner, a different lockdown bar (or heck, just an extra flipper button on the right side to differentiate it for perception of prem owners), and some slightly modified code. Reboot the art to make the pf so much better and you are talking easy money.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

AC/DC Pro+ with bell?

Technically, you're right. But, it's just a pendulum that hits the stand up that's already there. Nothing like adding a spinner with code.

--edit: It's freakin cool , though!

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I have to laugh at this as distributors have been trying to sell off old stock of TWD for a while. Of course they are going to tell you it is done...
    Pretty sure the code update last week was to help distributors get rid of current games as Stern tries to take care of their only real customers (the distributors).

Premium model is differentiated for sales at the time. They have zero problem rebooting a game and adding new features and then upcharging for them. Premium model will still be differentiated by bicycle ramp, extra magnet, extra drop.
    It is understandable that some prem/LE owners will be frustrated by this IF it happens, but reality is that Stern is very smart when it comes to business. The rebooted IM and SM when people said it would never happen. They did it because there was money to be made. They also added features like LEDs, more animations, light up toys, etc...
    Same thing with TWD and reality is that they can do almost no work and sell 1000 games. Adding a spinner, a different lockdown bar (or heck, just an extra flipper button on the right side to differentiate it for perception of prem owners), and some slightly modified code. Reboot the art to make the pf so much better and you are talking easy money.

I would consider trading in my Pro for a VE if they did this. Love the game so much, but really don't care for the art package. Clelend's sound package removes any sound issues I had with the stock sound package. A game with comic book style art, with Cleland's sound and it would make a great game even greater.

But all of these things were just speculation and wishful thinking. I don't think there's any "official rumor" that Stern would be making a VE of this.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

From what I've been hearing and reading they are making a last run and then that's it.

Flash is correct, they just finished. This doesn't mean there won't be a vault some day, but dealers still have new stock. At least I do.

Greg

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Technically, you're right. But, it's just a pendulum that hits the stand up that's already there. Nothing like adding a spinner with code.

spinner is a $5 part...

Code is a simple copy/paste or edit to unlock on Pro turned vault...

We are talking very MINOR modifications here, but ones that the customer pool will drop money for.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

A game with comic book style art

I would take a comic TWD in a heartbeat!

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

but dealers still have new stock. At least I do.

thanks for the confirmation.

Quoted from Whysnow:

distributors have been trying to sell off old stock of TWD for a while. Of course they are going to tell you it is done...

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

spinner is a $5 part...
    Code is a simple copy/paste or edit to unlock on Pro turned vault...
    We are talking very MINOR modifications here, but ones that the customer pool will drop money for.

I'll grant you it's a lot smaller job than redoing the SM dots!

#24 6 years ago

If Stern made a TWD VE comic edition they would have to redo all of the dots to the comic book characters. That would be similar to Spiderman VE and cause a hefty upcharge.

#25 6 years ago

The current dots are already cartoonish. I don't think they would have to do much more work on the current dots to make it saleable.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

The current dots are already cartoonish. I don't think they would have to do much more work on the current dots to make it saleable.

I agree, current dots are not even remotely show based, more cartoon based and would fit very well with a comic theme.

#27 6 years ago

TWD comic would be a different license. Stern would need to redo the playfield art, plastics, backglass and all DMD assets.

Quoted from FatPanda:

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

TWD comic would be a different license. Stern would need to redo the playfield art, plastics, backglass and all DMD assets.

Might be cheaper to go that route instead of working with AMC, actually. I'm not sure how the DMD assets work, but I would imagine Stern owns that already. They would have to contract the comic book artists to do the artwork...but that was the point of the VE to begin with, wasn't it?

#29 6 years ago

Even if it happens, it sounds like the premium would still be a significant upgrade. I certainly wouldn't want to lose the bicycle ramp or crossbow, and the lighting, extra magnets, drop target, etc. are fair bonuses as well. The BG Ramp and X-bow are the main reasons I went with a premium, so it wouldn't have affected my decision if a Pro+ was available, and I wouldn't feel like any special value has been lost from the premium. The Pro should have had walker bombs and spinners from the start, and the premium would still have considerable value over the Pro+ compared to what we're seeing now with GotG and such. Though I'm in the camp that would prefer only one version of a game to exist.

#30 6 years ago

Or they could just make a Tron VE. Not really change anything and charge $5300 for it. I do not see why they would rerun a title that still has stock available unless its a second premium run like ACDC Luci. Even then it makes no sense and they are not going to sell a ton of them. Tronve with no changes would likely sell 5-10x more games then another run of TWD. If you want a TWD just buy one now.

#31 6 years ago

I agree with only one version, but Stern does what Stern does, and it seems to be working for them.

#32 6 years ago

I probably will pull the trigger in the coming months.

Personally the only things that I really care about that the premium has is a better lightshow, spinners, and walker bombs.

I never really felt the well walker magnet, bicycle girl ramp, or the crossbow added much for me. Different strokes for different folks though.

#33 6 years ago

In a more perfect world, the Pro would have an action button. I could easily live without the prison door opening on my Pro, if we're trying to balance out the BOM. Spinners are nice, but I can live without those, too.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

In a more perfect world, the Pro would have an action button. I could easily live without the prison door opening on my Pro, if we're trying to balance out the BOM. Spinners are nice, but I can live without those, too.

Agreed. I actually prefer the Pro over the Prem/LE as far as game play, but in the back of my head I can't get over the lack of Walker Bombs. I never really knew how to utilize them back when we had an LE on location, and now that I play only Pros, I'm dying to try the bombs properly. Everything else I can live without... but if/when it's time for us to pull the trigger on a TWD, and funds aren't an issue, I think it may have to be a Prem for that one feature.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

AC/DC Pro+ with bell?

Swinging bell didn't require code changes, did it?

#36 6 years ago

wait, what? TWD premium? but but Stern said they were not making a TWD premium

#37 6 years ago

They just stopped making TWD earlier this year. I would imagine the next Vault will be a game that’s been out of production for a longer period, such as Tron, TSPP, or LOTRs.

#38 6 years ago

Vaults have been all over the place. Some are basically re-runs of past titles (Iron Man/AC DC), then you have the re-skins like Spiderman, then you have the re-dos like Batman66. So who knows what form a future version might take.

#39 6 years ago

Stern was still assembling TWD PROs in late September 2017 as I bought one the first week of October and the assemble date is late september. I was told October 2017 is the end of production.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

They just stopped making TWD earlier this year. I would imagine the next Vault will be a game that’s been out of production for a longer period, such as Tron, TSPP, or LOTRs.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

didn't they just rerun Tron Pros in the past 2 years?

I could see LOTR as being higher on the list but reality is that the originals are readily available also and does not seem to be a huge demand for them?

IM and IMve were only 4 years apart
    SM and SMve were 8 years apart
    BMDK and BM66 (esentially a vault plus) were 9 years apart
    ACDC was almost no time at all; 1 year?

I dont think time from original to remake is really part of the equation.

It has to do with demand and what could make money.

I see tronVE with lit ramps and TWDve with new art/bomb/spinner as being the best thing from a business perspective.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I would consider trading in my Pro for a VE if they did this. Love the game so much, but really don't care for the art package. Clelend's sound package removes any sound issues I had with the stock sound package. A game with comic book style art, with Cleland's sound and it would make a great game even greater.
    But all of these things were just speculation and wishful thinking. I don't think there's any "official rumor" that Stern would be making a VE of this.

Well the issue isn't the Pro owners because I'm sure the vast majority would drop their Pro in a heartbeat for a VE...it would be a clear upgrade. The Pre/Le owners will be somewhat torn on this I think. I'd love to have the comic art on my game but would not be thrilled with giving up the BG ramp, Well Walker magnet and crossbow. It would be a tough choice for me.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It has to do with demand and what could make money.

I think this is the only consideration. Which I'm not saying is a bad thing. But their internal calculations of that is what will drive the decision making.

#43 6 years ago

If I recall Stern ran TRON PROs in 2011, 2012 and 2013. There were 4 or 5 runs with different translites and 1st run had screened cabs.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from moonduckie78:

And what's to stop them from getting the license again? See AC/DC.

Stern is never "DONE." If there's money to be made, they'll go there.

#45 6 years ago

I wouldn't drop my PRO for a VE. I have everything I want in the LE in my PRO (LED lighting, game controlled ramp lighting, shaker) and arcade cab running the TRON game.

Quoted from pipes:

Well the issue isn't the Pro owners because I'm sure the vast majority would drop their Pro in a heartbeat for a VE...it would be a clear upgrade. The Pre/Le owners will be somewhat torn on this I think. I'd love to have the comic art on my game but would not be thrilled with giving up the BG ramp, Well Walker magnet and crossbow. It would be a tough choice for me.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

All items I could (and have) lived without, which is why I bought a Pro instead of a Pre/LE. It's really the artwork and sound package that is the only downside for the current TWD machines. Upgrading that (even without the walker bombs and spinner) would be worth it, imo. If I were in the market for a SM, I would take a SMVE over a regular SM, at the price difference. I like the style of SMVE with the toys, dots, and artwork, just that much more.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

didn't they just rerun Tron Pros in the past 2 years?

The last run I recall was late 2012 / early 2013 with the chick translight; it was also a small run as I recall. The world needs more Trons in my view. I think you are right about the lit ramps, I predict that when they do Tron (and they eventually will) it'll have the lit ramps.

Frolic is right, it's hard to predict what VE's will look like as Stern is all over the place, but walker bombs on TWD when it eventually gets it's VE (a couple years from now most likely) it'll get the walker bombs.

#48 6 years ago

It wouldn't surprise me to see some kind of Comic Book vault, but I doubt they would add spinners onto the game. That would require changes to the wiring harness and possibly some playfield modifications to make it work. I could see them possibly adding Walker bombs since that would allow them to use the same base cabinet as the Premium model and would allow them to use the same playfield as before.-it would just require slight modifications to code to make it work.

My guess as to what will actually happen is that they'll use the same playfield and playfield art as before but just slap on some different cabinet decals and a new translite in the comic book style on and call it a day. I'm sure it would be expensive enough to hire the Walking Dead artist just for that. Doing the playfield, plastics, and possibly new sculpts for the toys to match the comic style would add way more expense to the game. I could also see them doing some kind of special armor that includes a new lockdown bar "Walker bombs" which would allow them to charge a more "Premium" price for this model much like they did with SM VE. It isn't really like Stern to give you more stuff for the same $. If they really wanted to bring out the sales they could number the games and limit them to 250 which would further justify charging a premium price for the game.

Didn't they do a special "Dirty Donny" run of custom games for Metallica a few years' back where they upcharged a couple grand for a custom painted Sparky and some other minor features? If you're expecting a souped up Pro model with extra features for the traditional Pro price I think you are going to be disappointed.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

If you're expecting a souped up Pro model with extra features for the traditional Pro price I think you are going to be disappointed.

Yeah I fully expected a pro with spinner and bomb button for vault (premium light) priving.

Scary part is I would pay the extra for those 2 things, lol.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

Softer version? I'm lost as to what you are getting at. What I had read was speculation that a spinner and walker bombs being coded into the pro. Basically adding a couple features that many felt should be in the pro. Not going in the direction of theming it towards the comic.

The idea of a Pro with a spinner and walker bombs was Hilton's idea. It is pure speculation/wishful thinking from Hilton - nothing more.

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/walking-dead-vault-edition?hl=sshughes75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.