Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pinstein
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8wMDgvNzIzL29yaWdpbmFsL1RoZVdhbGtpbmdEZWFkMDFfcDguanBn (resized).jpeg
    20180116_170154 (resized).jpg
    0C2B0A66-52F0-42AF-9D4A-6DDFBB553AC4 (resized).png

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

The idea of a Pro with a spinner and walker bombs was Hilton's idea. It is pure speculation/wishful thinking from Hilton - nothing more.

lol. I was told it was coming before I even thought about it. I initially thought it would never happen but would be cool. I was told code update first and then vault will follow.

Code drop makes it more apparant that it will eventually happen. It is also obvious that it is a good business decision as it will sell well with way less effort than building a whole new game.

Also a smart move as it take s alittle heat off the currently lacking in code new games Stern is pushing out.
    They can now offer a fully fledged vault with great code and a few added features (ones that were stripped from the pro originally). The vault (assuming done well) would sell to new owners and also sell to current pro and prem/le owners that prefer the new model.

It really all comes down to business.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

The idea of a Pro with a spinner and walker bombs was Hilton's idea. It is pure speculation/wishful thinking from Hilton - nothing more.

Right on. I still want it though no matter how far fetched it may be

#53 6 years ago

I think if Stern makes a TWD comic edition it will have a premium price. If it includes new dots, new playfield artwork, spinner, lockbar button and walker bombs will people buy it? OR would you rather the full premium version currently available?

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I think if Stern makes a TWD comic edition it will have a premium price. If it includes new dots, new playfield artwork, spinner, lockbar button and walker bombs will people buy it? OR would you rather the full premium version currently available?

new vault 100%

better art, no crappy left ramp, no need for silly crossbow

#55 6 years ago

Played both. LE/Prem > Pro. Pros are on route everywhere and I play them because I like pinball. The right ramp is an issue on both machines before the left ramp on the LE/Prem. (And no one ever mentions the right ramp). More game play, more mode integration and great DMD animations.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

new vault 100%

They are going to vault a game they just did a last run for two months ago? I think your distributor is wrong on that, we will see though.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

They are going to vault a game they just did a last run for two months ago? I think your distributor is wrong on that, we will see though.

not my distributor that told me. Someone on the inside

It was just hopeful for me at first. Then the new code dropped and I believed.

#58 6 years ago

If they build it I will Cu...come

#59 6 years ago

I guess time will tell if this is real or not. I don't think it's the best choice but sounds like there is some interest.

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

new vault 100%

I have agree with Hilton here, I owned an LE and never cared for the left “flip up” BG ramp or the crossbow.. everything else is pinball Nirvana!

#61 6 years ago

I enjoy the xbow..has some tough shots to hit with it. Left ramp I hear needs tuning to work correctly.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Why would you want to see me do that

Haha well played Sir!

#63 6 years ago

If you look back at vaults:
    Ironman was released in 2010 and was the first game to get a so-called Vault Edition in 2014. The initial run back then was very small so an Ironman Vault was released to accommodate demand.
    Spiderman Vault followed suit by adding and modifying a few things on the playfield with a new art package from the original while Spiderman sold a lot of units back then we have to remind ourselves that the original was almost released a decade ago, so demand for a vault edition was warranted.

ACDC Vault should have never happened because they already had so many editions already released. While I don't know how popular that release was, very minimal things where done to this edition apart from taking out the big head on the playfield and removing a band member (if I am not mistaking). Most of the changes had already occurred in the ACDC Pro Led version. The first ACDC run was in 2012. Even before the Vault, Stern must have sold 10K units (if not more) spread through all the editions.

TWD started in late 2014 which makes it about only 3 years old now and they sold "ok" until Lyman dropped the code to turn it into the game that it is today. TWD has been selling very well for the past years. I just don't see demand for TWD VE because it is way too early to release another edition and the show isn't doing too well in viewer ratings for this opening season.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I enjoy the xbow..has some tough shots to hit with it. Left ramp I hear needs tuning to work correctly.

On mine the left ramp always comes up when you have cross bow shots. Perhaps it stays down after you hit all of them in one game? Dunno, never hit all of them.

#65 6 years ago

All are great points and make good sense. I’m just wishing on a Star here. Give me the couple added features that I desire and change up the art package a bit.

I’ll take a blacked out Neegan edition cabinet art package!

#66 6 years ago

This makes no sense...Not to say its impossible, but seems like they sold a ton over the last 3 years. Tron VE makes way more sense, but that's been rumored for years.
    Yea speculation!!

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

TWD started in late 2014 which makes it about only 3 years old now and they sold "ok" until Lyman dropped the code to turn it into the game that it is today. TWD has been selling very well for the past years. I just don't see demand for TWD VE because it is way too early to release another edition and the show isn't doing too well in viewer ratings for this opening season.

Agreed. The timing just doesn't make sense to me.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

Agreed. The timing just doesn't make sense to me.

As far as timing Stern has always been pretty terrible. They don't seem to put any thought into the marketing window for a pin. They just seem to focus on keeping production rolling.

#69 6 years ago

I've gotta have me some crossbow, left ramp, yes I agree that it impacts flow (making it more clunky) and I could live without it. I've leaned to get better with the crossbow shots and so I enjoy it much more now then when I first had the game. I would also miss the WW magnet. I like the fat hunk of moldy flesh fighting back and slinging that ball around so close to the flippers, makes the game that much more intense. I could even live without the spinners, but I have to have walker bombs for the added strategy.

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

On mine the left ramp always comes up when you have cross bow shots. Perhaps it stays down after you hit all of them in one game? Dunno, never hit all of them.

I don’t believe the left ramp is ever made with the xbow. Two separate points. The left ramp people complain about as it can have a lot of bricked shots and misdirected shots which I have heard can be tweaked to alleviate the problems with it.

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

This makes no sense...Not to say its impossible, but seems like they sold a ton over the last 3 years. Tron VE makes way more sense, but that's been rumored for years.
    Yea speculation!!

Same thing with ACDC, even more so.

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I don’t believe the left ramp is ever made with the xbow. Two separate points. The left ramp people complain about as it can have a lot of bricked shots and misdirected shots which I have heard can be tweaked to alleviate the problems with it.

I've only seen complaints before the "fix." As mine already had the piece of foam installed, I've never had a single bricked or misdirected shot after owning/playing it for nearly 2 years. Unless you mean hitting the bash toy being a drain hazard and not the left ramp itself. In which case, I like how the bash toy affects game-play.

Otherwise, a large part of the reason I like the LE/Prem ramp so much is the Gnassel lighting mod. It turns it into a horror jump scare and adds an interactive "blood splatter" element. While I do like the fact it changes the geometry of the playfield at times, if it weren't for the light, it would be easier to pass on the left ramp as the bicycle girl is darn near invisible with stock lighting.

#73 6 years ago

"     The Walking Dead Pro (Last Call - 27) – Very few left"

This was from our distributor 6th September.

#74 6 years ago

Whilst I hope it happens, this seems like trying to wish something that doesn't exist into existence.

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Yea speculation!!

I have given up on Tron VE, but will get one if they ever do make it

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Whilst I hope it happens, this seems like trying to wish something that doesn't exist into existence.

It’s the Christmas season and magical things are possible. Believe with me rubberducks.

Just promise not to bring about bad juju to our quest for this magical machine by inadvertently looking a unicorn in the eyes.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

It really is not a matter of if, but WHEN.

TWD will be vaulted... likely not next, but probably after that...

#78 6 years ago

Hey Stern, if there's spinners, walker bombs, and new art I'm in! May as well add in the colored GI too while you're at it

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Hey Stern, if there's spinners, walker bombs, and new art I'm in! May as well add in the colored GI too while you're at it

I’ll call Gary tomorrow

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I’ll call Gary tomorrow

A man of action!

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It really is not a matter of if, but WHEN.
    TWD will be vaulted... likely not next, but probably after that...

When the heck did another run of a game turn into a Vault Edition??? It’s still listed as a current game.

#82 6 years ago

It's true. Keith Elwin's game is at the top of my list, but TWD VE would be epic.

#83 6 years ago

I’ll bet anyone $100 spinners and walker bombs do not get added to the Pro (action button) in a future VE without adding 1k to the price.

I’ll bet anyone $50 a VE TWD will not get made in the next two years.

This is how confidently I think this is horseshit. My advice to the OP, buy the Premium instead of hoping they will add 50% of the Premium features for free.

#84 6 years ago

I have noticed there are lots of defensive posts about this...

I dont think it is a matter of if but rather a matter of when.

Everyone seems to put a lot of emotion behind this when in reality it is all business.
    There is an obvious market for a vaulted TWD with spinner, bombs, etc... (even at a price hike) and it obviously is a relatively easy game to vault now that the code is complete.

I am critical of Stern in many ways, but when it comes to business decisions, they are on top of making money.

#85 6 years ago

I'd be interesting in a comic book style one. The current game art is the only thing keeping me from seriously considering it for a future purchase. It still looks like vomit to me, despite the game play being fantastic.

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am critical of Stern in many ways, but when it comes to business decisions, they are on top of making money.

Agreed when it comes to making money...

0C2B0A66-52F0-42AF-9D4A-6DDFBB553AC4 (resized).png0C2B0A66-52F0-42AF-9D4A-6DDFBB553AC4 (resized).png

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Everyone seems to put a lot of emotion behind this when in reality it is all business.
    There is an obvious market for a vaulted TWD with spinner, bombs, etc... (even at a price hike) and it obviously is a relatively easy game to vault now that the code is complete.

Why would they do this? Wouldn't they just make a vault premium and a vault pro? Why would you think they would make a pro with added mechanical features? Isnt this what was done with acdc? Did they add a swinging bell with magnet to the pro, can't recall?

There are a lot of twd nib games around, they'd be shooting distributors in the foot doing a vault right now.

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Why would they do this? Wouldn't they just make a vault premium and a vault pro? Why would you think they would make a pro with added mechanical features? Isnt this what was done with acdc? Did they add a swinging bell with magnet to the pro, can't recall?
    There are a lot of twd nib games around, they'd be shooting distributors in the foot doing a vault right now.

A button and a spinner are pretty small bumps in the BOM, the new ramp and crossbow are probably much more pricey. Throw in an extra $6 worth of parts, charge $800 more for it, wipe hands on pants.

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Why would they do this? Wouldn't they just make a vault premium and a vault pro? Why would you think they would make a pro with added mechanical features? Isnt this what was done with acdc?

simple answer... too make money.

I dont personally think they will do this right now, but I do think we will see it in the not too distant future.
    I believe that the code update was to help distributors sell out of any current stock (appears some over bought when Stern told them "last run" and now have ones to get rid of). I think after that stock is gone then we will see an improved vault edition. Stern does not want to piss off the distributors but also walks the fine line of pushing sales.

The genious of Stern is that all the buyers quickly forget and want the 'best' model of anything. You have to remember that TWD was Pro and LE ONLY to start. Then they saw the market and made the premiums to satisfy demand. The LE owners quickly forgot and went on to the next game.

Similarly they will meet the demand for a modified vault edition. Toss on new comic art for those that dont liek the current art. Modify a wire harness to add a spinner and a bomb button. BAM! new game that will bring in new customer PLUS current prem and pro customers that want to upgrade to the vault edition.

Stern does a nice job of controlling perceptions with 'white lies'
    - No premiums; wait a minute here are premiums
    - We will never remake games; anyone want a vault
    - We wont add features to a vault; anyone want new art, dots, added toys

They are masterful at this and if there is a demand then they crunch the numbers and react.

It all comes down to I think there is obviously a demand. How much would it cost them to make the vault?

I think we are just 1 stinker title away from the need for the next vault to be slotted in to production to keep sales happening and the line moving.

My only personal question is how much extra would I be willing to pay for a vaule edition with new art, spinner, and bomb...

#90 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I don't doubt there will be a TWD VE at some point, but these are available now and have been for the last three years.

SMVE is a good example, New art, new dots, shaker, service rails, metal vuk returns and that's about it and it's priced way more then an original SM, maybe $6800 out the door NIB. It was out of production for atleast three years or so since the last run.

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

simple answer... too make money.

I think Tron would be a homerun VE. I would buy one as a rehashed pro or an upgraded pro with lit ramps priced closer to the premium tier.

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I think Tron would be a homerun VE. I would buy one as a rehashed pro or an upgraded pro with lit ramps priced closer to the premium tier.

I agree. Tron ve is a no brainer also.

I dont care for the game, but there is obvious demand for an updated pro model.

#93 6 years ago

Tron '82 VE with Wendy Carlos soundtrack, SUATMM.

#94 6 years ago

I'm curious just how much additional demand there would be for a comic book art version? I've never read them, so for me I would only be interested in a version depicting the TV series (which I have already). I would think that would be the vast majority with a much smaller minority that are loyal readers of the comic book series. Spiderman was a little different since the comic books have been around for generations before the movies and there have been so many movie reboots that it sort of turns you off of them altogether. I'm not making a firm stance either way, so call me wrong if you have a solid argument otherwise, just voicing a thought.

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I'm curious just how much additional demand there would be for a comic book art version? I've never read them, so for me I would only be interested in a version depicting the TV series (which I have already). I would think that would be the vast majority with a much smaller minority that are loyal readers of the comic book series. Spiderman was a little different since the comic books have been around for generations before the movies and there have been so many movie reboots that it sort of turns you off of them altogether. I'm not making a firm stance either way, so call me wrong if you have a solid argument otherwise, just voicing a thought.

I have never seen the show or read the comics. I like the comic art, but honestly it is more a dislike for the current art. They could reboot with different/better show art and that would be fine also IMO

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

They could reboot with different/better show art and that would be fine also IMO

Ah yes, a Negan version would be tempting for many I would think.

1 month later
    #97 6 years ago

This is what a VE should look like. (Image from visual pinball mod)

20180116_170154 (resized).jpg20180116_170154 (resized).jpg

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

This is what a VE should look like. (Image from visual pinball mod)

Improvement but its a comic version

#99 6 years ago

It’s does look good!

#100 6 years ago

Left sling "plastic" looks good, otherwise it looks like a Michael Bay reboot.

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/walking-dead-vault-edition/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.