You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-838.jpg
image-885.jpg
walking-dead-dale.jpg
image-241.jpg

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

Got my TWDLE. Fun so far
Those 5 red GI bulbs need to be changed to maybe 3 amber one red and one blue.
Too much red. It doesn't look that great

The voice over work does indeed wreck this game. Please ditch the hillbilly/Alabama used car salesman. It's God damn awful. Ruins the game

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

The voice over work does indeed wreck this game. Please ditch the hillbilly/Alabama used car salesman. It's God damn awful. Ruins the game

Sadly was the reason I backed out of buying NIB, still like the game and layout, will play it on location and if code is finished up good will probably buy a used one down the road and save a few bucks. Still saddens me they didn't get actual voice clips from the show or even something custom for one or a few actors. Ruined the best theme ever for me as a total package.

#3 6 years ago

It's a bummer that Stern said they won't have any voices from the show. But I actually blame AMC more than Stern for that. That was exactly what stopped me from buying the pinball machine based on my favorite tv show. Stern and AMC didn't want my 5k enough to add in voices from the show that were sitting on tape already.

#4 6 years ago

Wasn't their discussion of updated voice work being done? I understand it is not the actors but could still improve.

#5 6 years ago

You can all but eliminate his voice from the game in settings. Game adjustment 101 and 102 I believe. Attenuate speech 60 and music -60 works quite well, I have found a good balance at speech 30, music -15. try it out.

#6 6 years ago

Maybe Stern will sell a voice mod for $299 with the real actors.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

I love it, def doesn't ruin the game, for me.....

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Got my TWDLE. Fun so far

What 5 GI bulbs?

#9 6 years ago

There is to be 3 different voices in the game and even one that is female.

#10 6 years ago

I don't mind the call outs.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

You can all but eliminate his voice from the game in settings. Game adjustment 101 and 102 I believe. Attenuate speech 60 and music -60 works quite well, I have found a good balance at speech 30, music -15. try it out.

Come on man, that's no solution.

Then it's missing...SPEECH. On a modern, themed, officially licensed game.

Without real speech from either the shows or the actors - or at least good impersonators, acting with a sense of fear and urgency - the game feels like a generic knockoff. The speech should contribute to the dark, desperate mood and environment that we expect from the game. Instead the hokey hillbilly from BBH has wandered into it...comes off as really bizarre and I don't think just shutting down as much speech as possible is a satisfying solution to someone who is shying away from buying it.

Is the game supposed to be dark and scary, or is it supposed to be silly? Very schizophrenic title. Black humor might have worked in places as is the voice work really misses the target.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Come on man, that's no solution.
Then it's missing...SPEECH. On a modern, themed, officially licensed game.
Without real speech from either the shows or the actors - or at least good impersonators, acting with a sense of fear and urgency - the game feels like a generic knockoff. The speech should contribute to the dark, desperate mood and environment that we expect from the game. Instead the hokey hillbilly from BBH has wandered into it...comes off as really bizarre and I don't think just shutting down as much speech as possible is a satisfying solution to someone who is shying away from buying it.
Is the game dark and scary, or is it silly? Very schizophrenic title. Black humor might have worked in places as is the voice work really misses the target.

I found a nice balance so its not as loud but still audible. I hope they eliminate the hillbilly and add real call outs but that's doubtful so have to work with what I have. I really dig the music so I enjoy the game with no call outs also. But its not that bad, I have sold games based on the sound, music and speech being crap, TWD isn't even close to being that category. Xmen and Metallica were brutal for call outs.

#13 6 years ago

I love the "you're not gonna last very long" that's said almost under the breathe occasionally on a game start.
There's a few I like but for the most part they need to start almost over.
The sound effects are great tho. LOVE when you hit the walker in the prison. Sounds juicy with each hit. Hard to explain to someone that doesn't have one. The effect of the ball hitting it and the sound makes it gory and awesome.

I REALLY hope callouts are improved in later code. Could have another xmen on our hands.

#14 6 years ago

Sounds like a fun game, but I wonder how bad LOTRs would be without actors be it original Or sound likes. Image gandoff Yelling with some dudes voice. You shall not pass. TWD deserves good voices otherwise what's the point of even pictures on the side cabinet?

#15 6 years ago

"He just fell from the Ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down"

The sound is awesome, 10x better than any other Stern, come on people! We will have updates.

The shotgun reload and Well walker hit sounds are two of the best in pinball, period! And the clarity is so un Stern like.

#16 6 years ago

It is kind of funny, we pinheads scream and complain about actors faces being used on a Backglass, but we want their voices in the game!

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

It is kind of funny, we pinheads scream and complain about actors faces being used on a Backglass, but we want their voices in the game!

To me Stern doesn't even deserve to use the actors pictures on this game, it has very little actual Walking Dead in it(from the TV show whose name is plastered all over it), just jacking a license to sell the game without really using the depth it offers with the actors, sounds, emotions from the show. Don't care whose fault it is to me it is a fail for both AMC and Stern to not give it the justice it deserves for one of the best shows ever on TV to me and huge fan of the comic the roots are from. They want to sell a well walker and bicycle girl as the main points, sweet those were related to about 2 total minutes of the show. I could go on and on, doesn't matter it is what it is, hope the code makes the game good down the road and they make the callouts as least bearable to listen to and add to the excitement, the game will never be great to me as a huge piece will always be missing. It's a bummer.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

To me Stern doesn't even deserve to use the actors pictures on this game, it has very little actual Walking Dead in it(from the TV show whose name is plastered all over it), just jacking a license to sell the game without really using the depth it offers with the actors, sounds, emotions from the show. Don't care whose fault it is to me it is a fail for both AMC and Stern to not give it the justice it deserves for one of the best shows ever on TV to me and huge fan of the comic the roots are from. They want to sell a well walker and bicycle girl as the main points, sweet those were related to about 2 total minutes of the show. I could go on and on, doesn't matter it is what it is, hope the code makes the game good down the road and they make the callouts as least bearable to listen to and add to the excitement, the game will never be great to me as a huge piece will always be missing. It's a bummer.

I'm a fan TWD show, but it is a character driven drama show that has a serious cast turn over plot line.

Having the voice of a soon to be dead character featured in the game would have been a horrific decision. I'm glad they focused on the zombies and not Carl or Hershell or Shane or whoever.

The voice of Merl would have been awesome though...dead as he may be...if he was the red kneck making the call outs wed all be happy.

#19 6 years ago

But I like hill billy that spits his ta-backey with a cud in his mouth.

image-241.jpg
Version 1.05 4 life!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

What 5 GI bulbs?

On the LE. there are a total of 23 red leds in the GI including the 5 that are on the backboard . I replaced them all with cool white 2-leds bulbs from cointaker to match the other ones in the GI , it looks a lot better.

#21 6 years ago

My absolute favorite call out is when in the bg mode he says "I kind a like that little girl right there"sounds like he is crushing on her.i am fine with him and know it will get better

#22 6 years ago

Yeah. Billy bob voice overs are just added white noise. Besides, you can't always pick who you're fighting with in a zombie apocalypse. If his voice annoys you, think of it this way:

Would you rather fight WITH an annoying dude against walkers or fight against that dude and walkers?

I choose earplugs.

Besides, huge update coming. Added voices to make Billy just a minor character and tons of rule polish.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Having the voice of a soon to be dead character featured in the game would have been a horrific decision. I'm glad they focused on the zombies and not Carl or Hershell or Shane or whoever.

The voice of Merl would have been awesome though...dead as he may be...if he was the red kneck making the call outs wed all be happy.

Totally disagree with this. First, you don't want any dead characters, unless it's Merl? That means as long as you connect enough with the character/voice, it's OK.

Somewhat to that end, if they just used a few of the iconic characters (Rick, Daryl, Michonne, etc) they are staples and will never go out of style in fan's eyes. Then, if you fought along side them, and if you didn't do well enough, they died along the way, the whole premise would be like the show.

I'll be shocked if Rick ever died, but even if he did, if your game was based around fighting with him and helping him and the others stay alive, that would be cool.

#24 6 years ago

I just think it is a VERY challenging game and I like that. Great shots and you can still make a top game even if your first 2 balls were bad (like Ironman).
Making combo shots is incredibly satisfying on TWD.
Even though the code is still unfinished I like it already a lot and it grows on me every day I play it. The call outs could be better but in my personal opinion they are not nearly that bad as many describe them. And I trust Stern to get it right in the end just like they did for ST and Mustang (fingers crossed).

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Totally disagree with this. First, you don't want any dead characters, unless it's Merl?

Merl came up as an ideal choice in my mind as he has an awesome distinctive voice/deliver for voiceovers, and can do deadpan comedic delivery like a champ. Serving two functions... he can be scary/bossy one second, and make you laugh the next AND it fits his character on the show.

But I guess random redneck must be better than that, right?

Quoted from Cheeks:

Somewhat to that end, if they just used a few of the iconic characters (Rick, Daryl, Michonne, etc) they are staples and will never go out of style in fan's eyes. Then, if you fought along side them, and if you didn't do well enough, they died along the way, the whole premise would be like the show.
I'll be shocked if Rick ever died, but even if he did, if your game was based around fighting with him and helping him and the others stay alive, that would be cool.

Rick and Daryl would be okay choices for "serious" lines, but Michonne? Unless she has changed significantly since I last watched the show I don't think of her and say "ideal voiceover character".

I mean a Michonne mode could just be you making different shots and each time you do it shows the same facial expression of her over and over again no matter how well or bad you are doing

#26 6 years ago

Being a fan of the show; I'd expect to hear lots of my favorite quotes to relive those special moments as well as connect with the pin. Very much like LoTR does, bring me into the theme of the game. I'd love to own a TWD pin someday, but not if it's not about TWD.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

My friend's LE arrived last weekend, and I've played about 20 games. It's Stern's standard fare - lightning quick, fast ball times (for me, at least) and fun. The callouts are just brutal though - some of the worst I've heard in any pinball. Maybe the worst. I'm a big fan of the show and would have preferred to hear voice work from the actors. To me, it's still a good game, but nothing in the least that reminds me of the Walking Dead. Rather, it simply strikes me as a generic, zombie themed pin (not a bad thing). And the music? Close to the opening score in the show...but not quite. I expect it will continue to improve with code updates. I hope.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

My friend's LE arrived last weekend, and I've played about 20 games. It's Stern's standard fare - lightning quick, fast ball times (for me, at least) and fun. The callouts are just brutal though - some of the worst I've heard in any pinball. Maybe the worst. I'm a big fan of the show and would have preferred to hear voice work from the actors. To me, it's still a good game, but nothing in the least that reminds me of the Walking Dead. Rather, it simply strikes me as a generic, zombie themed pin (not a bad thing). And the music? Close to the opening score in the show...but not quite. I expect it will continue to improve with code updates. I hope.

Quite right but worst call outs go to Xmen by far, I like the generic feel. Would rather Stern did an Original Zombie theme, without having to pay for a license could have lots of extras but Sega/DE/Stern have always had that. Its a tough show to incorporate into a pin as its mostly drama, with some killing thrown in, still call outs from the show would have been better.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Quite right but worst call outs go to Xmen by far, I like the generic feel.

While I don't LOVE the X-men call outs tough they are not "tied" to an expectation because it is based off a comic and not a specific show or movie. There have obviously been 100s of different movies, shows, cartoons, all with different voices so there wasn't a set expectation for what they could sound like, they had the freedom to make their own. Which while I don't think it would have worked, the parallel would have been if Stern made The Walking Dead pinball based off the comic, then they could use their own voices cause there is not a set standard(that being said though the show is wildly more popular so even then I think people would associate the comic characters with the show characters and had expectations).

Opinions will differ like with anything but a true fan of The Walking Dead show is smearing lipstick on the pig if they try and justify why not having the voices from the show is beneficial or at least some voice work even if custom from a few actors.(cause they might die or it makes it more timeless- I call BS).

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Being a fan of the show; I'd expect to hear lots of my favorite quotes to relive those special moments as well as connect with the pin. Very much like LoTR does, bring me into the theme of the game. I'd love to own a TWD pin someday, but not if it's not about TWD.

my opinion also.

#31 6 years ago

I assume a lot of folks might disagree with me but I don't think theme is as high a factor when one buys a pinball compared to other items. I have IMv and ST Pro and I don't consider myself a huge fan of either themes. With both movie franchises grossing over $1 billion there are probably a lot of huge fans and this is one of the reasons I went with the two titles compared to Metallica or Mustang for instance. If someone doesn't like Metallica its going to be hard to make them a buyer of your pin. Themes like IM/ST are more universal imo.

So, now we come to TWD which is one of the few show's my wife and I watch together religiously. You would think buying a TWD over an ST Pro which i got last week would be an easy decision but it wasn't. It was the early code and execution of the theme (with call-outs) that turned me off. If I would of bought TWD and my wife heard the voices, it would of actually of been embarrassing. I don't want to point fingers at the op but since he did open the thread I will say this. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to purchase a pin for $7500 then complain about the voices. I mean, we all knew what it sounded like and if you didn't like it you shouldn't of purchased it like me. Buying the pin validates the voices are acceptable so to me you are contradicting yourself a bit.

Hopefully the voices will be changed/improved for the sake of all of us (currently owners / possible future owners).

#32 6 years ago

I completely disagree with the level of criticism of this great game! The amazing artwork, depth of game play (only getting better also), music and amazing sound affects along with the features on The Walking Dead and especially the Walking Dead LE pins are on their own Well Worth buying this pinball. I cant believe all the whining about this when in my opinion this machine has been very well designed. I do agree that the original voices would be great however after listening to the voices that are on the existing version 1.11 game play as well as the full v1.11 files in pinball browser there are many voice callouts and sounds that relate directly to the TWD series that have yet to be implemented and are most likely coming with updates (Stern hint hint). Also the voice work that has been done, with the exception of the billy bob type voice from BBH is in my opinion very good. The billy bob voice I would expect to be used less with future integration of the improved voice work as many of the callouts seem to have been redone in the browser with new voice work options. This Machine I anticipate will be one of the classics of this decade. So many pinsiders are getting hung up on the voice work when it is actually pretty good and has much more voice content than many previous games have? I would rather have much more voice content integrated into gameplay like is done with this machine than having just a very select few callouts like on other games. The Walking Dead with its amazing playfield art and layout has a great quantity and quality of voice callouts, best yet sounds and music that make this pinball one of the best Stern has ever released.

Edit...However all this being said Stern would be the hero and this amazing game would become legendary and possibly Sterns best pin yet if Stern and AMC would actually integrate actual sound bites and custom voice work from the previous and current actors on the show (Stern hint hint, not too late to do this)

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Opinions will differ like with anything but a true fan of The Walking Dead show is smearing lipstick on the pig if they try and justify why not having the voices from the show is beneficial or at least some voice work even if custom from a few actors.(cause they might die or it makes it more timeless- I call BS).

I'd be totally fine with draining and hearing this:

walking-dead-dale.jpg

Dead or not, the actors over the years are the show. Heck, half of the things that Shane said would probably be quotable in the game. Just the ball save with Shane saying to Rick "I thought you were dead Man".

In my opinion the game has to be a lot better to get over the lack of voice work from the show. Stern shot this game in the gut and left it as walker bait so it could get away.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

The callouts are just brutal though - some of the worst I've heard in any pinball.

Great game, but nothing made can top Metallica for the worst callouts ever.

#35 6 years ago

Translation: I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH I CANNOT FIND MY ENTER KEY

Quoted from PinballChicken:

I completely disagree with the level of criticism of this great game! The amazing artwork, depth of game play (only getting better also), music and amazing sound affects along with the features on The Walking Dead and especially the Walking Dead LE pins are on their own Well Worth buying this pinball. I cant believe all the whining about this when in my opinion this machine has been very well designed. I do agree that the original voices would be great however after listening to the voices that are on the existing version 1.11 game play as well as the full v1.11 files in pinball browser there are many voice callouts and sounds that relate directly to the TWD series that have yet to be implemented and are most likely coming with updates (Stern hint hint). Also the voice work that has been done, with the exception of the billy bob type voice from BBH is in my opinion very good. The billy bob voice I would expect to be used less with future integration of the improved voice work as many of the callouts seem to have been redone in the browser with new voice work options. This Machine I anticipate will be one of the classics of this decade. So many pinsiders are getting hung up on the voice work when it is actually pretty good and has much more voice content than many previous games have? I would rather have much more voice content integrated into gameplay like is done with this machine than having just a very select few callouts like on other games. The Walking Dead with its amazing playfield art and layout has a great quantity and quality of voice callouts, best yet sounds and music that make this pinball one of the best Stern has ever released.

#36 6 years ago

bemmett said:

I agree. Although I have said I think this game has great art, gameplay, callouts and sounds, it is clear that not using the actual actors voices is still a bizarre thing to do by Stern (one that they can still fix though, hint hint for Stern/AMC) and that for true Walkin Dead fans it doesnt matter how good the voice actor work is, if it is not the actual actors it may remain a totally avoidable black eye on this otherwise amazing pin.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Translation: I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH I CANNOT FIND MY ENTER KEY

Funny Thats fair I do love the game.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Got my TWDLE. Fun so far

So you spent around 8k for a game you've never played? Must be nice....

#39 6 years ago

if you snooze, you lose. Rather get one, see if I like it and sell it off soon if not.
better than it coming out, finally getting to play one and not be able to find a NIB anywhere.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm a fan TWD show, but it is a character driven drama show that has a serious cast turn over plot line.
Having the voice of a soon to be dead character featured in the game would have been a horrific decision.

No it wouldn't.

But let's say it does....that's still no excuse for importing Big Buck Hunter corny fake hick into the game.

They could EASILY have actors portraying generic walking dead TV show-type characters - like people in those webisodes they have on the AMC site. Callouts that reflect what we've come to know about the show - urgency, fear, drama.

Instead you get someone so out of place that it jars the entire thing. I've said it a couple times now...half of the game is dark, scary, and moody, and the other half is goofy (unfunny) zombie jar jar binks. That's why people are disappointed. This game's big sell is THE THEME, and instead we get Hee Haw with zombies.

People aren't getting what they signed up for and the lack of the actual actors or sound clips from the show isn't the biggest reason. The entire mood of the game isn't right. Either go Walking Dead or go Shaun of the Dead - But you better go one way or the other you better get it right. So far, they haven't.

#41 6 years ago

Yes, everytime I get Boromir in LOTR, I cringe.... he's dead dead dead.... why am I hearing his voice? Same with when Sarumon is talking.... like wtf people did they even watch the movies, he died people, how can he be talking now in my pinball machine?

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Opinions will differ like with anything but a true fan of The Walking Dead show is smearing lipstick on the pig if they try and justify why not having the voices from the show is beneficial ...

I don't think anyone is arguing that voice clips from the show wouldn't have made the game better. All we are saying is that the game doesn't automatically suck just because they are not present. I think the current callouts aren't nearly as bad as some people are making them out to be. I'm really enjoying the game so far, and I can't wait to see what Lyman has in store for us next.

#43 6 years ago

hear is the voice overs we need for walking dead

#44 6 years ago

Its a Catch-22, if some folks like the voices then why is Stern planning to redo/modify them? On the flip side I wouldn't buy the game expecting new code with new voices based on a pinsiders Stern buddy telling them. I'm a realist and when the code is out and I've seen videos/heard new voices then I can make a revised opinion, but obviously Im in a wait and see mode with this title.

My gut tells me the voices and code will be improved significantly, and like I mentioned I hope it does as it could make me a buyer of this pin as it has a lot of great qualities.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Great game, but nothing made can top Metallica for the worst callouts ever.

I'll give you that - but at least the brutal MET callouts are bolstered by a great soundtrack.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Yes, everytime I get Boromir in LOTR, I cringe.... he's dead dead dead.... why am I hearing his voice? Same with when Sarumon is talking.... like wtf people did they even watch the movies, he died people, how can he be talking now in my pinball machine?

Crap, I hope this doesn't mean I have to get rid of my BSD because (spoiler) Dracula dies in the end.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Would rather Stern did an Original Zombie theme

It is almost as though they did an original zombie theme. It is barely tied to the series right now, but I am having a GREAT time playing this machine regardless. I am also a huge fan of the AMC show, but that is not affecting the enjoyment of playing this table. I am excited to see where the code goes, but very happy with it so far. Yes it is a random "hillbilly" voice, but the game takes place in the south and they seem to be trying for a southern accent. I like the feel of me against the zombies instead of me hanging out with the cast of Walking Dead. Maybe the addition of a female voice and another hillbilly will make it feel like you are part of a group, but it is just fine the way it sits right now for my tastes.

I have had many conversations and read many pinsider's opinions about wanting an original theme time and time again. This is as close as we have come in a long time. From the player's view, there are almost NO images from the show. No actor faces plastered everywhere, no headshots on the backglass, just zombies and blood. I think it is rad. But this hobby is all about opinions. Pinside would be no fun without them!

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

hear is the voice overs we need for Walking Dead
» YouTube video

Oh man that was hilarious!!!

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

hear is the voice overs we need for Walking Dead
» YouTube video

Right on. Love this vid and the voices for the most part sound pretty good, except Bob.

"Booty so nice, you gotta pinch it twice"

Jiggy jar jar do...durdy durdy der.
My boys have about memorized and can sing along with Carl Poppa.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Opinions will differ like with anything but a true fan of The Walking Dead show is smearing lipstick on the pig if they try and justify why not having the voices from the show is beneficial ...

Quoted from gweempose:

I don't think anyone is arguing that voice clips from the show wouldn't have made the game better. All we are saying is that the game doesn't automatically suck just because they are not present. I think the current callouts aren't nearly as bad as some people are making them out to be. I'm really enjoying the game so far, and I can't wait to see what Lyman has in store for us next.

I completely agree.

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside