3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Leeb18509
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8BD7BF22-F5AD-4DA1-B128-4326F1FA2A5C (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Hi Guys, I got lucky and found a Walking dead LE NIB a couple of weeks ago. I upgraded code, and it worked great! After playing I noticed an audio resistor was fried as pictured.

Stern tech support is down for Covid and they don’t seem to reply to email so I overnighted a replacement SAM Cpu / audio board from this place:

https://ksarcade.net/stern-sam-cpu-520-5337-00.html

I installed it today and pulled the rom chip from the old board and installed the same way.

When powering on the machine the new board has a green power led but I get nothing on the display. I checked the dip switches and they are all correct. I also tried flipping the upgrade code switch to on with the usb stick installed with latest code and still nothing. The playfield only has one red light lit up by the prison toy. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe I missed a step? Never had to do this before but it seemed pretty straightforward.

Thanks guys!
    Kris
    8BD7BF22-F5AD-4DA1-B128-4326F1FA2A5C (resized).jpeg8BD7BF22-F5AD-4DA1-B128-4326F1FA2A5C (resized).jpeg

#2 3 years ago

I forgot to mention that before I swapped the cpu board the game worked perfectly. Screen worked, just the Audio broke after putting in the topper with likely bad power tap. I took it completely out and game worked fine until I swapped board.

#3 3 years ago

Could possibly contact Mezelmods and ask if anyone else experienced this... Only option at the moment... I would be willing to wager that the board pictured will need to be removed, and repaired or replaced by Stern. LE machines Have special boards and code from what I remember...
    (So you can’t just hack a playfield and code into an LE)

Might want to contact the distributor that originally sold the game. They may get better results than you contacting Stern directly. You will likely not get it running without the help of the distributor or Stern. Maybe have an experienced pinball friend help install mods in the future.

#4 3 years ago

Hold on:
    NIB TWDLE?
    Golly!

#5 3 years ago

Good advice, I reached out to mezelmods and they said they are looking at helping. I wish I could get in contact with stern! That’s what I tried at first but the 1800-kickers number is down for Covid. I emailed them last week and crickets still. Anyone know anyone at stern I can email? Don’t want to go any further down the rabbit hole without some help. Thanks again!

#6 3 years ago

Yes I got a NIB from Troy at Vidgameseller. Also got Metallica LE NIB and Iron Maiden NIB. He is the best!

#7 3 years ago

Then contact him... They will get a response from Stern easier than you.

#8 3 years ago

Ok I’ll try that as well. Thanks for the tips, the new board looks identical with all part numbers and revisions matching. Figured I missed something because I am used to working on spike and spike 2. First experience with SAM, seems a little more fragile.

#9 3 years ago

You bought a new board even with the game under warranty? Damn, what did that cost?..FWIW I had a spike CPU go out a couple months ago and got a replacement from Stern through my distributor. Worth the wait for a $500 part. Did you try your distro first?

Most would say the SAM system is bulletproof, it's the Spike systems that have most of the problems. Especially Spike 1.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/walking-dead-nib-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.