(Topic ID: 132426)

Walking Dead LE ranked #61 on Pinside?? Lol!!

By kklank

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 221 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by dzoomer
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Does The Walking Dead belong in the Top 20?”

• yes 59 votes
    21%
  • nope 201 votes
    71%
  • It belongs in the Top 10! 24 votes
    8%

(284 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_Shot_2015-07-16_at_8.46.29_PM.png
IMG_0855.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_0851.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg
image.jpg
twd_pinball_animated_walker4.gif
DSCF1409.jpg
DSCF1411.jpg
image.jpg
There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 8 years ago

I've played it a bunch and still don't like the geometry of the game. The code updates have definitely improved the game over time, but unfortunately the actual physical layout will not change. It's often that I play it and even if I do well I walk away from the game pissed off. I don't exactly know why, but when playing the game I feel like it's a chore. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

#152 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinder:

I've played it a bunch and still don't like the geometry of the game. The code updates have definitely improved the game over time, but unfortunately the actual physical layout will not change. It's often that I play it and even if I do well I walk away from the game pissed off. I don't exactly know why, but when playing the game I feel like it's a chore. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

I echo this post. Played it a bunch. I've played it with the updates. It's "ok" I hate that all the shots end up back in the pops. I hate the drop out of the pops. the ramps are decent, but the game just doesn't do much for me. I really loved the idea of the theme, but I think it under delivered. WWE is worse, so I'll give TWD that, but Star Trek is far better. I think 61 is about right if not a bit generous as a ranking.

#153 8 years ago

zombie bombs?
what's that?

is this also on the pro?

#154 8 years ago

No bombs on the pro Pascal.

They are collected by hitting drop targets (i think) and can be used by pressing the lockdownbar button to give a virtual hit to the prison head or well walker.
Other thing missing on the pro is some coding for the spinners that can give you a jackpot?

#155 8 years ago

Talking about the high scores (mine is now at 550M and on 1.24 it was 850M, 3 balls + one extra, dflt outlanes)

For anyone finding getting to Horde and Horde itself being too easy:

- I adjusted all my multikill settings to the hardest (to get the weapon inserts). Takes you to Horde less often but still managable.
- I've now set my horde timer settings to the hardest (init 5, decrease -2, minium value 1) making the walkers advance a lot faster so you have to shoot good or get bit.

Siege is indeed no multiball. Got it (only) 3 times since I have the game but a really cool mode! Still have to play the crossbow multiball though ..

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinder:

The layout is a comparison to having to try to survive in the apocalypse. Some randoms, some luck, lots of frustration , but if you develop a technique to the of design you can really rack up a score and all that frustration disappears. You've got the outlanes, they are aggressive on this game. You've got the prison, potential for sdtm if you don't anticipate it, the pops are actually appreciated after playing a long game cuz you get a much needed break. The Ramps can either be slow rolling or super fast depending on accuracy of shot up them.

Playing on location is not, NOT the same experience as playing one in a quieter area, sound up. Immersion is this games gift. That is super huge in a collection; you pull that off and you've got a winner.
This will be in my home for a long time!

#157 8 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

The layout is a comparison to having to try to survive in the apocalypse. Some randoms, some luck, lots of frustration , but if you develop a technique to the of design you can really rack up a score and all that frustration disappears. You've got the outlanes, they are aggressive on this game. You've got the prison, potential for sdtm if you don't anticipate it, the pops are actually appreciated after playing a long game cuz you get a much needed break. The Ramps can either be slow rolling or super fast depending on accuracy of shot up them.
Playing on location is not, NOT the same experience as playing one in a quieter area, sound up. Immersion is this games gift. That is super huge in a collection; you pull that off and you've got a winner.
This will be in my home for a long time!

Totally agree with your comment. This is the most immersive game I have ever played. You have to experiment it in a home environment. I put on my headphones and Enter this "world" infested by zombies where I need to survive..... So cool!

#158 8 years ago

Road show is far better than walking dead.

#159 8 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Road Show is far better than Walking Dead.

put the crack pipe down! just kidding, Any owners that have owned both will easily disagree with that statement... Hmmmm bashing zombie heads or bashing the front end of dozer, Give me zombies all day long! I had a roadshow for a few months and couldn't wait to get it out of my gameroom.

#160 8 years ago

I have both and they sit next to each other. Red is very lonely right now.

#161 8 years ago

I played TWD for the first time at Blainbrook in MN. Love the show, and the game-play was very enjoyable with that "just one more shot" feel that hooked me............but......

Where were the actors voices? The play was fun, the graphics and toys were neat, but no actors! Simpsons had the actors, Star Trek had the actors, but no Walking Dead WTF.

It would be like playing Metallica or ACDC with the songs clearly done by a cover band!

Had they secured the actors I could argue the game as a whole is close to top twenty.

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from BillPinball:

I played TWD for the first time at Blainbrook in MN. Love the show, and the game-play was very enjoyable with that "just one more shot" feel that hooked me............but......
Where were the actors voices? The play was fun, the graphics and toys were neat, but no actors! Simpsons had the actors, Star Trek had the actors, but no Walking Dead WTF.
It would be like playing Metallica or ACDC with the songs clearly done by a cover band!
Had they secured the actors I could argue the game as a whole is close to top twenty.

Just think of the main voice as a George Bush impersonation and your good to go.

#163 8 years ago
Quoted from BillPinball:

Mine has the actor’s voices.
You know you can add them because of some other pinsiders hard work.

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

Mine has the actor’s voices.
You know you can add them because of some other pinsiders hard work.

This is interesting. I love TWD show and therefore the theme...Played it when it was released and basically it was just blinking lights and some awful voice acting...

Sounds like the code is finally baked so I'll need to try it again. Whats the story with call outs? Anyone have a vid of it with actual actor voiceovers? that would be cool to see

#165 8 years ago

There are several reasons why TWD is not (yet) ranked very high. Some are rational, others less. Let me try to list them (for the Pro):

- shipped with unfunished code. A classic for all sterns for sure but this time aggravated by...
- a game that needs to be properly dialed in. My first experience on location was a total disaster - constant STDM from the Prison and the pops.

These alone may explain some adverse reactions - they are fixable, but some ratings may still be low because of that. Add to that:

- A family-unfriendly theme. I love TWD, but I have no problem imagining some find the animations gross.
- PF artwork is not great
- No actor voices
- A different layout - this is good to some extent, but disorienting at least at the beginning.
- Too many bash toys. One is cool (The well walker is indeed better than Wolverine). The head in the barn is ridiculous. Too bad the doors do not open to reveal something else.

Things I do enjoy:
- Cabinet artwork
- superb transparent ramps
- some of the shoots are highly satisfying (Woodbury, etc)
- Music
- Latest rules,
- 2x multiplier (as for WPT)
- Theme integration
- A different layout is good for variety

I guess TWD eventual ranking will be in the top-50, perhaps in the top-25 but not much higher.

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

This is interesting. I love TWD show and therefore the theme...Played it when it was released and basically it was just blinking lights and some awful voice acting...
Sounds like the code is finally baked so I'll need to try it again. Whats the story with call outs? Anyone have a vid of it with actual actor voiceovers? that would be cool to see

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ed%20zeltmann%20youtube

search ed zeltmann youtube

there are others , my later ones are better shot after following advice of pinsiders

#167 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I defy anyone to get this pin rolling and say it isn't fun! Pin is tough/challenging, and can be frustrating as hell, which makes the good games even more satisfying.

Yep, if you get things going it's one of the most fun pins to play. Like you said it is frustrating as hell though. I have 10 terrible games for every one decent one and 50 terrible games for every one really good one. I swear I get a brutal drain 99% of the time as soon as "dead features are lit" is called out. It's like the call out tells the ball to go find the left drain.

#168 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

It's like the call out tells the ball to go find the left drain.

Yes, the game has this innate ability....I think learned from BSD.....
Play with evil....and it bites back!

#169 8 years ago

Well I'm just glad some are giving it a 2nd try. Would be a crying shame to throw the baby out with the bath water on this one. There IS reason some of us are zealots on this pin. And it ain't insanity.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#170 8 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

put the crack pipe down! just kidding, Any owners that have owned both will easily disagree with that statement... Hmmmm bashing zombie heads or bashing the front end of dozer, Give me zombies all day long! I had a roadshow for a few months and couldn't wait to get it out of my gameroom.

Some people may think so if for no other reason than RS being a widebody. I had a RS for several years and really enjoyed it. Based on the limited number of games I've put on a TWD, I'd have to agree and vote for RS (along with numerous other pins). A zombie theme isn't for me so it would be never something I purchased anyway regardless of how well the code turns out. Not singling out TWD as there are other similar gross themes that I just would never buy.

#171 8 years ago

The more I play my TWD LE with the most recent code, the more I'm convinced that it absolutely should be in the top 20. Heck, it's easily in my top 5. It's just such a unique and fun game.

#172 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The more I play my TWD LE with the most recent code, the more I'm convinced that it absolutely should be in the top 20. Heck, it's easily in my top 5. It's just such a unique and fun game.

It's a bit strange how my TWD Premium slowly but surely continues to impress me more and more. A lot of times the more I play a pin after owning it for a few months, the more it loses it's luster. It's the complete opposite with TWD for me.

#173 8 years ago

I like hearing all this! WD is the first pin I've owned.

#174 8 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Road Show is far better than Walking Dead.

I own both, love both, they sit right next to each other, but as awesome as RS is there is nothing like TWD experience.

It's an easy top 20! My favorite pin in my group.

It's not just playing a pinball machine, its an "experience".

#175 8 years ago

I'm still learning Lyman's newest rule set. I also started another $100 tourney for my kids and their friends, although it's not needed. Twd is being played a lot regardless.

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Couldn't even break 700mil??? Looks like you stunk it up on ball 2 n 3!

How 'bout this then?

IMG_0855.jpgIMG_0855.jpg

#178 8 years ago

I am surprised, as in the last month I have at least 100 plays on MM. It is no where close to TWDLE. Could be be that the production #s
are much greater and growing weekly on MM.

#179 8 years ago

You guys have convinced me to give it another chance.
I'm not a fan of the Well Walker placement but judging by these posts I approached this table all wrong.

#180 8 years ago

Hi Kevin,
Glad you are enjoying your new game!

I generally really like J Borg's games!

Disclaimer:
I have not played it with the code update, so I reserve final judgement until I do. (perhaps we could have a game night, to change my mind, nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

I voted nope because as it stands right now, this title doesn't do it for me on several different levels.

I don't particularly love the theme, and the shots feel crowded and unnecessarily tight, its been a real clunk fest for me every time I've played. I haven't gotten very deep into the code, but I also don't feel compelled to try to do so, based on my experience's with the game so far.

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from gatordad:

I don't particularly love the theme, and the shots feel crowded and unnecessarily tight, its been a real clunk fest for me every time I've played.

It's a tough game - which is part of what makes it so fun AFTER you get better at it. If you are unable to get past that hump, you won't have much fun with it. But IF you do, it's an A game all the way.

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

It's a tough game - which is part of what makes it so fun AFTER you get better at it. If you are unable to get past that hump, you won't have much fun with it. But IF you do, it's an A game all the way.

Couldn't have said it better. This is 100% consistent with my experience.

Not sure if there is any other pin that I have done a complete 180 on like TWD. Pin really pissed me off at first. Then gradually it was pissing me off less. It still pisses me off quite a bit, but at least now I can have the occasional break out game that kicks ass. The pin has a lot to offer, including but not limited to the excellent rule set that will still get better.

#183 8 years ago

Moving on up!

Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 8.46.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-07-16 at 8.46.29 PM.png

#184 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Moving on up!
Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 8.46.29 PM.png

Champion Pub rated higher than TWD!?

lol!

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How 'bout this then?

IMG_0855.jpg

Still 300mil short

#186 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Still 300mil short

So it's not "the Walking Dud"?

Yeah it's great, happy you guys are loving it!

#187 8 years ago

Pin really is fun as fuck. My scores suck, you guys are kicking ass and taking names!

#188 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So it's not "the Walking Dud"?
Yeah it's great, happy you guys are loving it!

Dude, you absolutely have every right in the world to shove that one in our faces!

Quoted from smassa:

Still 300mil short

My math tells me it's 300 mil *over* 700 mil.

#189 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Dude, you absolutely have every right in the world to shove that one in our faces!

My math tells me it's 300 mil *over* 700 mil.

I'm just glad you guys are loving it! It's all I play lately. So addictive.

#190 8 years ago

It's good to see some acknowledgement and changes of heart from earlier disparages. There was some baseless extrapolation from limited experience with a few routed games. And from a Pro game to all Prem/LE games.

TWD appreciation is now on the upswing which is great. Many now acknowledge TWD excels in home use and people enjoy both the base and the LE/Prem games.

I found TWD to be a great game early on from when I bought it with 1.19 code and onward. I hope that people give the pin a chance or a second chance and be open minded to overcome the early negative buzz vociferously put forth by some. It may be very enjoyable for many people and at this time they can still purchase the game new before the Stern license ends.

#191 8 years ago

I know its been said before, but it is pretty awesome to see so many people give this game another chance. This game totally deserves it. Glad to see it moving up closer to where it belongs on the in the top 100.

#192 8 years ago

Let's get this thread going again
I think it should be number 1

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from Rapzilch:

Let's get this thread going again
I think it should be number 100

I fixed it for you. ^

#194 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I fixed it for myself. ^

#195 8 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Playing on location is not, NOT the same experience as playing one in a quieter area, sound up.

Yup I'd love to get some good time on it like that.

AS for it's ranking, same shit, diff'rent day.

#196 8 years ago

Funny how the same handful of people relentlessly attack TWD. I completely understand not liking a game and stating your opinion, but it's much more than that. There must be some psychological issue at play

#197 8 years ago

The local location TWD used to be pretty dialed in, but because it sits on tile that isn't flat by design, the game is now pretty thrown off. I had many, many pop feed drains yesterday in the ~15 games I played on it. IMO, this is probably the best example of a machine that can be seen as the worst ever on location, but great in a home environment where you can change things when they start to slip.

#198 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I fixed it for you. ^

Changing quotes is against Pinside rules

#199 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Changing quotes is against Pinside rules

Last time someone did that they got a permanent thread ejection.

#200 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Funny how the same handful of people relentlessly attack TWD. I completely understand not liking a game and stating your opinion, but it's much more than that. There must be some psychological issue at play

I don't know, I imagine if you started a thread arguing that any newer game on Top 100 is 40+ slots too low, you'd attract some loud contrary opinions! The majority of the recent posts seem very positive on the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.95
$ 8.95
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/walking-dead-le-ranked-61-on-pinside-lol/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.